I've been holding back on saying anything, but if I don't get this out, I'm afraid I may hurt myself!!

After reading todays posts, I can confirm with all certainty that the SEARCH FUNCTION (at the top of the page) the two boxes that say "Search" and "Find"????
    is Out Of Order, or is just too complicated for the average person to figure out how it works or that a large majority of members simply have a reading disorder.

As a last ditch effort to try to get people to use the search function... perhaps the Team could redesign the boxes, maybe encircle them with flashing lights... or have the user automatically entered for a chance to win a price every time they use the function or perhaps a pop-up version with pictures!

The Search function is dangerously close to becoming a forgotten thing of the past, along with thinking for yourself and other forgotten phrases!

Cracked Berry addicts... You're ideas are needed. Please help .
    We need your support to
    SAVE THE SEARCH FUNCTION!
    01-30-14 01:14 PM
    The search function is alive and well. People just need to stop and breathe when they have a problem and then think to search. Some get so excited, all they can think to do is create a new thread. It happens. LOL
    01-30-14 02:22 PM
    Ahh,then. You can't be sure that the search function works, at least not properly!

Of course, to stop the offenders from breathing would be another way to fix the search function! LOL
    Good call, jaydee, but lets wait for some more options!
    01-30-14 05:48 PM
    And another BlackBerry crisis averted.
    01-30-14 06:00 PM
    I do what I can! LOL

Want to know how to do stuff here on the forums? Try the
    Forum Help Videos & Guides sections
    Do I have to use the search function???

Last edited by Lostboy5151; 02-10-14 at 11:06 AM.
    01-30-14 06:21 PM
    Well, from the overwhelming response....
    I'd say it's definitely broken!
    02-10-14 11:02 AM
    There is not one thread in the CB10 app guide link posted above that instructs you about the search function. I have tried to search numerous times, with very poor results. If the subject I'm looking for shows up at all, it is usually way down the page behind all sorts of irrelevant threads that have absolutely nothing to do with what I'm looking for. But perhaps I just don't know how to properly use the search function. SO HELP EVERYONE FIGURE IT OUT!!!

Posted via Verizon Official 10.2.1
    02-10-14 06:27 PM
    I've found that it doesn't work for people who are lazy! (just a personal observation) and NOT directed towards you!

Use the least amount of words to get the best results.
    Or try a combination of words... and try changing the order.

(do the hokie pokie and turn yourself around....)

It's probably just a fluke... but, works for me every time!
    But, it must be broken because (no one I know of) seems to know how to use it!
    02-10-14 10:41 PM
    Personally I'd rather use Google to search CB than CB.

With that said I don't search much on CB. I mostly answer people's questions.

Sure people could search. But they won't all.

Posted via CB from my LE
    02-10-14 11:08 PM
    Personally I'd rather use Google to search CB than CB.

With that said I don't search much on CB. I mostly answer people's questions.

Sure people could search. But they won't all.

Posted via CB from my LE
    Have better success searching Google for a CB topic rather than using the search function with CB. The search function really needs some work

Posted Via my Kick @ss BlackBerry Z30
    02-10-14 11:19 PM
    I've found that it doesn't work for people who are lazy! (just a personal observation) and NOT directed towards you!

02-11-14 07:54 AM

Probably because you know exactly what you are looking for. Most people don't or can't figure out how to say it. Look at the titles to some of the threads. Plus if you have to do all that hokie pokie stuff, it's not intuitive and it's easier to just start a new thread and the beat goes on and on.

02-11-14 07:58 AM
    Using Goggle is a good idea!

Probably because you know exactly what you are looking for. Most people don't or can't figure out how to say it. Look at the titles to some of the threads. Plus if you have to do all that hokie pokie stuff, it's not intuitive and it's easier to just start a new thread and the beat goes on and on.

Probably if I was having a "battery" problem, for example, I'd probably start by typing the word Battery in the search box instead of starting another one of countless threads regarding Batteries,
    Not knowing "exactly" what I was looking for. Probably just a lucky guess on my part, though!

Now, instead of telling me all the reasons why you CAN'T do it, It would be more productive and much appreciated if you'd help with some positive ideas!
    02-11-14 09:00 PM
    Using Goggle is a good idea!

Probably if I was having a "battery" problem, for example, I'd probably start by typing the word Battery in the search box instead of starting another one of countless threads regarding Batteries,
    Not knowing "exactly" what I was looking for. Probably just a lucky guess on my part, though!

Now, instead of telling me all the reasons why you CAN'T do it, It would be more productive and much appreciated if you'd help with some positive ideas!
    I would love to help with some positive ideas, but you still have not addressed the issue of the crappy search function on CB10. Let's use your example, for instance. Here's what I get when I type battery into the search screen
    Rally to save the search function on crackberry-img_20140212_014410.png
    Rally to save the search function on crackberry-img_20140212_014438.png
    Rally to save the search function on crackberry-img_20140212_014454.png
    How many of these 20 threads, out of 500, do you think have anything to do with battery issues. Or should I just start from the top and read every post in every thread, hoping to find something that is remotely connected to my issue. Come on.
    And don't get me wrong, I'm the only one I know with a BlackBerry. I like this forum, I like my BlackBerry and I try to help people with the little knowledge that I have acquired here. But sometimes I get frustrated with the Non-answers, and I turn into my username. Prime example right here.

02-12-14 01:00 AM
    I did start out by says it was out of order or too complicated.....
    Problem is that there are so many threads addressing battery issues BECAUSE it's just easier to start a tread rather than research first.
    So, after a time, you almost have to start another thread which brings us back to here.

It is frustrating to newer members hoping to find a simple answer and it's frustrating to members that have been around a bit longer having followed all those threads and simply feel it unproductive to start yet another long line of posts that would only end up in another debate.

All I can suggest is try different combinations of words...
    But, I am seeing a definite pattern that it's not working As well as i remember!
    02-21-14 03:09 AM
    Thanks for the feedback everyone and your concise details of what's happening, we'll see what we can do to improve the search functions over the next little while as we plan upgrades.
    anon(3732391) likes this.
    02-21-14 03:15 AM
    The site search function is broken because instead of prioritizing blog and news posts, most of the returned content is forum posts. And even when it does return blog and news posts, it doesn't show you all the relevant material, by far.

The forum search function works OK, but probably mostly due to vBulletin idiosyncracies, the "advanced" search is sort of arcane. That's if you want to do something a little more sophisticated than a simple string search for anything anywhere, or a simple title text search. (Both of which you can do directly from any page without going to the advanced search page)

But when you go to the advanced search page, the options are poorly laid-out and not user-friendly. As I wrote above, I think most of that is just part of vBulletin and not a lot can be done about it. Perhaps some vBulletin plugin or something?

And yes, CB10 has some serious omissions, including a very 'dumb' search as misterabrasive demonstrated.

However I think the main point lostboy5151 was making was that people keep posting the same things over and over and over, without bothering to see if it has been asked before.

Part of that is because people don't bother to search, part of it is the search could be a little more effective, and part of it is because if mods picked-up on duplicate threads faster and merged them it wouldn't be as much of an issue.

Yes, I know, there's only so much mods can do.

My latest personal contribution is a compendium post/thread on reported changes/issues with the latest 10.2.1 leak, hopefully cutting way down on all the repetitive posts/threads asking the same questions over and over. Others can certainly make similiar efforts. Perhaps the mods can assist by "stickying" threads like that, making them easier for people to find, further helping to cut down on the same questions being asked over and over and over.
    02-22-14 04:06 AM
    Yeah!
    That's exactly what I said!! (give or take a word or two)
    02-23-14 11:53 AM
    Points all well taken folks. We're always looking to improve around here, and the search is indeed one of the areas that needs some attention.

Thanks for the feedback!
    Omnitech likes this.
    02-25-14 08:55 AM
    Points all well taken folks. We're always looking to improve around here, and the search is indeed one of the areas that needs some attention.

Thanks for the feedback!
    We know you guys are hard at work with many projects. This is one area that,I believe, will lighten your load considerably.
    And, although we KNOW you're listening... Having you "pop in" to acknowledge this issue is a great moral booster!

Thanks James!!
    Omnitech likes this.
    02-25-14 11:52 AM
    Hey, we're always here!

Feedback plays a huge part in making things awesome around here. Keep it up!
    02-26-14 08:57 AM