12-07-15 09:26 PM
80 123 ...
tools
    ** Update: October 16, 2015 **
    Signatures have been removed! Read below for more info on WHY we made this move. We thank each and every one of you for the feedback provided!

==========

Greetings all,

This is a quick and important notice on forum signatures.

For years now we have allowed members to add almost anything they like to their signatures. As we move forward into the fall and winter we're moving towards doing away with them completely, for many valid reasons:

1. Speed up load times
    2. 'Mobile First' design in mind (signatures take up a LOT of space)
    3. Curb unnecessary spam
    4. Make modding easier by not having to deal with problem signatures
    5. Put the focus back on posts (signatures can be distracting and make it hard to find what members have to say)
    6. Clarity and unity across all communities

All that said, I'd appreciate any feedback you can provide. We don't want to simply 'flick the switch' before giving everyone a chance to reply. If you think it's a bad idea, let me know. Good idea, that's great too. Feedback is good.

Thanks everyone!
    Last edited by James Falconer; 10-16-15 at 02:41 PM.
    10-02-15 09:27 AM
    As a minimum, I think a "myver" signature should be allowed, if not required. It's simple, and saves a lot of time when trying to offer advice.

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2639
    10-02-15 09:37 AM
    Anything that makes the site load faster and more streamlined has to be a good thing, even if removal of sigs is only likely to make a marginal difference.

Why not just have the sig as a public part of the user profile and don't bother attaching it to posts.

With regards to Conite's suggestion, the ask a question form should ask for such minimum information to be added to every question. (maybe it already does, I haven't looked).
    cdnrower likes this.
    10-02-15 09:49 AM
    When diagnosing issues and solving new member questions, a signature with the users basic phone/ver helps us a lot.

We should still be allowed a signature, but I can understand limiting it to one line/no pictures/no links/etc.

 Posted in CB10 from my amazing SQUARE OG Passport 
    Doggerz likes this.
    10-02-15 09:55 AM
    I don't think we should do away with them entirely, but perhaps rules should be established that limit them to a certain number of characters and prohibit links if they really are a problem.
    10-02-15 10:00 AM
    I think the guides that some of the mods and ambassadors have worked on should be allowed to stand in the signatures. It is easier to help a member when you can say directions are in my signature.
    10-02-15 10:32 AM
    1. Speed up load times
    If Mobile Nations is REALLY serious about this, reduce the number of trackers used. Text and images don't crash mobile Web browsers: all this Javascript / tracker code does.

1. 'Mobile First' design in mind (signatures take up a LOT of space)
    Again the trackers, and just use stylesheets to suppress signature blocks. Or make it a user option.

1. Curb unnecessary spam
    But, what, keep the "necessary" spam? :-) People contribute to these forums and don't earn a cent doing it. If they want to publicize their website in their sig, well, if you want to prohibit that, a simple regular expression should be able to detect and prohibit or strip those.

1. Make modding easier by not having to deal with problem signatures
    Again, if you want to make it so sigs can ONLY be text, no markup etc, a regular expression will take care of that. I'm sure there are already libraries that will strip out links, anything that could be considered code, etc.

1. Put the focus back on posts (signatures can be distracting and make it hard to find what members have to say)
    Make this a user option. On a user's profile, they should be able to select "hide poster's signatures in forum posts". Combined with other techniques to simplify and limit the scope of signatures, I think this will work well.

I accept that signatures are currently allowed to be too complicated. Perhaps instead of putting a sig below the POST, have the "sig" or "mission statement" of the user appear below their photo in the post... and when that is suppressed on mobile platforms, so would the sig be suppressed. Combine this with making the sig much shorter and restricting / eliminating use of markup, we have a weeeener.

1. Clarity and unity across all communities
    I'm not sure how much cross-pollination there actually is: I mean, I see users post counts and they tend MOSTLY to be within a single branch of the Mobile Nations communities... could it be you're anticipating having to merge CrackBerry.com with Android Central???? :-P

All that said, I'd appreciate any feedback you can provide. We don't want to simply 'flick the switch' before giving everyone a chance to reply. If you think it's a bad idea, let me know. Good idea, that's great too. Feedback is good.
    Feedback fed back. to you.
    Last edited by RyanGermann; 10-03-15 at 01:01 PM.
    baarn, howarmat, gfondeur and 11 others like this.
    10-02-15 02:00 PM
    I like this. Some people have silly signatures and I've found I've responded to signatures as if it was the comment when it wasn't intended by the op. This happens when the actual comment is far less than signature or when signature is ambiguous.

Posted via CB10
    Ecm likes this.
    10-02-15 02:07 PM
    James,

Hope you'll consider what Conite said. It's very helpful on the mobile app to have model number, os version and carrier.

Maybe you could have a standardized way to display this information and a simple on/off toggle for people who don't want to share that.

I find it extremely helpful when giving advice to know this information up front on the CB10 app.

Z30STA100-5 / 10.3.2.2789 / T-Mobile USA
    10-02-15 02:24 PM
    This is a CB10 suggestion, but maybe a limit on CB10's signature length? BBCode forum signatures don't show up as part of the post body, but CB10 signatures do, hence some confusion. If BBCode signatures were to go away, nothing would happen with regards to CB10.

"POSTED VIA CB10" is 15 characters. A limit of 15 on custom signatures is good enough to give choice while preventing ridiculously long Bible verses or whatever.

Myver signatures (ex. "PASSPORTSQW100-1/10.3.2.2789") are longer, but there could be a toggle in the CB10 settings to have either a up to 15-character signature OR a device/OS signature (easily obtainable).
    howarmat, jope28 and tdyhedge like this.
    10-02-15 02:33 PM
    Get rid of them completely on the app and on the site please.
    They are useless. Most 'myver ' sigs ar outdated or just stupid like 'my sister has a passport and I use a z30 '

There's no point. Create much clearer posting guidelines that are unavoidable instead (must read before first post for example).
    Ecm and SMocek like this.
    10-02-15 06:13 PM
    As a minimum, I think a "myver" signature should be allowed, if not required. It's simple, and saves a lot of time when trying to offer advice.

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2639
    Agreed

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2639

Posted via CB10
    Doggerz likes this.
    10-02-15 06:19 PM
    Additionally, if the OS/device signature was collected programmatically, then it would always be up to date, no?
    jope28 likes this.
    10-02-15 07:31 PM
    I don't mind signatures but some are too big. I think device and OS versions should be not in a signature but in a user's profile. I think as long as content and signatures are clearly separated and obvious, that is fine.
    howarmat and axllebeer like this.
    10-02-15 09:13 PM
    One line is sufficient

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.2.2639
    10-02-15 09:26 PM
    just turn them off or turn them off by default.

First thing on boards I turn is turn off signatures they are an eyesore.
    Ecm likes this.
    10-03-15 01:45 AM
    Get rid of them if you want.
    Peace!
    10-03-15 06:50 AM
    My sig is a tribute to my Mom, it was the letter she wrote me 3 years ago and placed in her "I died, these are the documents you will need" box.
    bungaboy, wincyUt and ssbtech like this.
    10-03-15 07:47 AM
    I just deleted mine and turned off "Show Signatures."
    SMH.
    10-03-15 10:30 AM
    The signatures are known in forums. But they clutter the posts significately... I turned it off, too.
    10-03-15 10:35 AM
    This is a CB10 suggestion, but maybe a limit on CB10's signature length? BBCode forum signatures don't show up as part of the post body, but CB10 signatures do, hence some confusion. If BBCode signatures were to go away, nothing would happen with regards to CB10.

"POSTED VIA CB10" is 15 characters. A limit of 15 on custom signatures is good enough to give choice while preventing ridiculously long Bible verses or whatever.

Myver signatures (ex. "PASSPORTSQW100-1/10.3.2.2789") are longer, but there could be a toggle in the CB10 settings to have either a up to 15-character signature OR a device/OS signature (easily obtainable).

Noted, easy enough to do.

Personally forums should still allow links in the Sig BBCode, I use it to advertise my BlackBerry World Apps

Posted via CB10 v....not telling
    Doggerz likes this.
    10-03-15 10:43 AM
    I think that what many are saying about having the 'myver' being handy are correct.

 Frosty White Q10/10.3.2.2639 CB10 
    Doggerz likes this.
    10-03-15 11:35 AM
    Haha..never knew typing "myver" shows the current OS/model. But yes I think signatures should not be long but to the point.

Posted via CB on Q10SQN100-3/10.3.2.2639
    10-03-15 01:26 PM
    Good move. I've seen some threads get derailed because people think that user's signatures are part of the intended response (and targeted towards them).

Never understood why people add extra overhead around their messages that could possibly lead to less clarity. Not to mention it often causes readers to interpret a post with likely unintended bias/prejudice.

I'm guessing the CB10 'trailing end' signature is not really a signature (since it shows up as part of the post body).

Posted via CB10
    Ecm likes this.
    10-03-15 04:04 PM
    All I have to say is, seriously???

Forum signatures slow load times? Take up a "LOT" of space? Are unnecessary spam? From the outside looking in, that doesn't seem to be the issue, mobile website or no.

Now I'm sure there's some extra modding due to signature issues but that's the nature of the forums as a whole. However, I think a short signature such as Q10SQN100-2/10.3.2.2789 do a lot more good to help people find the right answers and are not distracting in any sort of way. So what's the ultimate goal here? Reallocate bandwidth, less for members and more for ads or site/memory optimization/utilization?

Posted via CB10
    Doggerz likes this.
    10-03-15 05:05 PM
80 123 ...