I haven't posted too many things cause I figure people shouldn't post something unless they have something valuable to say. Unfortunately, not everyone thinks that way.

I have read lots of threads and sometimes find the answers to questions I have. But, try doing a search for something. Either there is nothing valuable returned or so much junk, it would take days to go through it. So, people post a question that maybe has been asked a gazillion times before. I know I've wanted to, but have avoided it because.........

The Crackberry Forum Freaks come out of the woodwork. You know 'em. You've likely been flamed by them. These freaks must sit at their computers for hours on end waiting to jump. I try to post as a last resort because of these message board mental cases. They need friends that aren't downloadable from AppWorld, if for no other reason, to just get them off the boards long enough for someone to ask a legitimate question and get a legitimate answer or share interesting information. God forbid you dare say anything negative about a RIM device or app. They go crazy! They remind me of that annoying IT character Jimmy Fallon used to do on SNL.

I don't care how smart you think you are and aren't interested in you trying to prove it to everyone. Most of the time, you're not nearly as funny as you think. And if you see a question you've seen before, then be helpful and answer, politely direct the questioner elsewhere or shut up. Sometimes no response is better. Fight the urge to type, you fools.

It doesn't impress me that a poster has had 1500 posts versus another who has had 10. Don't care. In fact, the more you have, the more likely you're one of these jerks I'm talking about whose life is apparently so empty you have to feel better about yourself by spending all your time on these forums trashing everyone. We want the experience and skill your high post count indicates, not your mouthy attitude that is often the more apparent characteristic.

I am proposing we ask Crackberry for a forum user rating system. We should be able to rate a post in at least 2 ways: Was this post helpful? Was this post friendly or flaming? There could be other ratings too. It would just be helpful if we could see some gage that would tell us if the poster's messages are worth the read. It might even help the freaks realize they're being a@@holes and motivate them to change their behavior.

Anyone else think this might be a good idea? Legitimate responses get taken seriously. Flamers just get bad karma.
    09-30-09 12:46 PM
    Perhaps there is something ironic about your post and people not being as funny or clever as they think they are...
    09-30-09 12:50 PM
    I give the OP a 6/10 on the freak scale.
    09-30-09 12:51 PM
    I like your idea.. but I really doubt this would actually happen!
    09-30-09 12:52 PM
    You got a 6/10 freak level from a bearded lady, how does that make you feel?
    09-30-09 12:52 PM
    Perhaps there is something ironic about your post and people not being as funny or clever as they think they are...
    Co-signed.
    09-30-09 01:08 PM
    I'm not too sure how well a rating system would work...though I definitely see your point. There is a CB user who knows more about BB's - inside and out- then I could ever imagine knowing about anything. This person, in my experience, ALWAYS knows the answer to your question but, sometimes, said user voices these answers in a manner than people often find condescending, at best. I struggle, when I see a post from this person, between wanting to read it to gain knowledge and wanting to skip it as to not be annoyed at the tone.

I also see what you mean about higher post counts leading to a better chance of "freak" status. But that's true wih anything. Ever had someone ask you a question with a seemingly obvious answer? It's frustrating - especially when you found the answer yourself by searching the forums and reading numerous threads packed with useless info.

So, in conclusion, I agree that sometimes we (I say "we" only because I have a higher post count, not because I have some massive amount of BB knowledge...I usually can answer questions up to a 6 on the difficulty scale) need to be kinder to our noobie brethren. However, sometimes people need to try and do a search for the answer like the rest of "us".

And papped -
    ...that's GORGEOUS
    09-30-09 01:15 PM
    We want to stay focused on BlackBerry and all things related to BlackBerry.

I am sure Kevin and the original moderators of CrackBerry never dreamed they would be hosting so many members, and members with many thousands of high quality, content intensive posts.

That resulted in a grass roots movement to recognize our members for their accomplishments through the year. The "Crackies", our annual member approval awards poll and celebration were a big hit last year.

Best of 2008 Cracky Award Winners! | CrackBerry.com

UNTIL NEXT YEAR...

What a ton of fun! Next year we'll do this event up bigger and better and start it off a bit earlier (let the voting begin in mid-December).

Think you have what it takes to win a 2009 Cracky? SHOW US!! You've got 11 months to gett'r done!

09-30-09 01:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD