View Poll Results: Should Leaks and Hybrids be seperated?

Voters
138. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yep! I like that idea, would clean things up a bit.

110 79.71%
  • Nope! I like it how it is.

15 10.87%
  • Neutral - Wouldn't really effect me.

10 7.25%
  • Candy. Sweet Candy.

3 2.17%
07-04-10 01:12 PM
92 123 ...
tools
    I often visit the Beta/Hybrid discussion forum to find the latest leaked betas to test on devices.

Increasingly the number of hybrids clogging the forums has balooned! It's becoming increasingly hard to fish through all the hybrid posts to find actual leaked betas.

I suggest splitting the beta forum into two sub-groups, one "Beta / Leak" section and one "Hybrid / Alternative" section.

The purists among us can have easy access to leaks directly from RIM, while those who wish to tinker with the mix can access hybrids.

Anyone else feel the same way?
    05-31-10 09:10 PM
    It used to be the other way around. There used to be all leaks and no hybrids. Now it's the opposite. It's not like its that hard to find though
    05-31-10 09:11 PM
    Looks like there's some genuine interest for splitting the beta forum into two - "Hybrids" and "Leaks".
    06-01-10 01:27 AM
    Hybrids and leaks aren't the same. They shouldn't be in the same section. It doesn't make sense.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-01-10 06:35 AM
    I bumped up (a few times) the thread from last year in the Site Questions and Bug Reporting forum asking to put hybrids in their own subforum. At that time, however, they were littering the BB OS Discussion forum, so they were moved here.

And I agree, it's crazy to have this forum jammed up with everybody and their mother posting their latest hybrid, most if not all of which are utterly useless ephemera.

In any event, pkcable the mod answered in the Site Questions thread that he thought it was probably a good idea and would suggest it to Kevin.
    06-01-10 07:06 AM
    Hybrids are still considered a "Beta" OS different parts are taken from each OS. Which doing so makes it a Beta OS... Things are not official with the build at all.....

Leaked "Beta" OS are non official OS's also...

If someone is looking for something this is the place to find it... Mainly a section for advanced users.

Also with leaks. Once a new one comes out everyone jumps on the most active leak thread....

IMO Leave it as it is..
    06-01-10 08:22 AM
    Hybrids are still considered a "Beta" OS different parts are taken from each OS. Which doing so makes it a Beta OS... Things are not official with the build at all.....

Leaked "Beta" OS are non official OS's also...

If someone is looking for something this is the place to find it... Mainly a section for advanced users.

Also with leaks. Once a new one comes out everyone jumps on the most active leak thread....

IMO Leave it as it is..
    Couldn't disagree more. They are two completely different things.

A beta OS is an actual OS designed and built by RIM for specific phones and leaked out. Such an OS is frequently adopted eventually by a carrier and becomes what we call an "official" OS.

A hybrid is not an OS per se -- it is a handful of certain .cod files from one or more different OSes (sometimes from OSes for different phones) that are used to replace the versions of those same .cod files contained in a "base" OS.

One comes from RIM, and is WYSIWYG -- it may run great, it may not, but you know it came from RIM and RIM engineers who actually can read and build the code contained within .cod files.

The other comes from third-party individuals who cannot read or build .cod files, but rather cobble them together through trial and error and promote their end result here.

I have tried hybrids and have zero interest in them. I am, however, keenly interested in leaked OSes. So I would prefer to not have to rummage through what seems like an endless array of so and so's latest hybrid concoctions.
    06-01-10 09:10 AM
    Most if not all leak threads are always titled "Leak"

So most recent will always be on t he first page if the thread is active...

Older leaked builds can be found as using advanced search.
    06-01-10 09:18 AM
    I agree with the proposed change.
    06-01-10 11:10 AM
    It wouldn't hurt at all to have the beta forums splitted into two different subforums. Right now, it's kinda messy.
    06-01-10 11:22 AM
    I myself do like the idea of keeping Hybrids separate from Leaked OS's. It would give a cleaner look to the site and allow those of us to find the latest hybrids without heading to BBHybrids Forums - BBHybrids - Home
    06-01-10 11:34 AM
    Is it hard to do a forum search for ".XXX"? Usually a new leak will sit on the first page for a week or two.

Most the Storm hybrids end up in the Storm forum anyways...
    06-01-10 11:44 AM
    I also agree with the proposed change. I've been wishing for it for some time now. It would be much cleaner and quicker to have leaks and hybrids in separate forums.

Don't get me wrong; I'm in the opposite camp of some here. I'm a big fan of hybrids.

06-01-10 12:02 PM
    I see both sides of the argument. Both are unofficial and should be approached with about the same level of caution, and it's not hard for me to overlook the threads with the word "hybrid" in them. That being said, I think the hybrid threads are totally out of control and completely misleading to people that don't know what they're doing, and would absolutely love it if they were moved to a section I don't have to browse.

You got an issue and want to look at a hybrid as a fix, fine. Having an area for it makes sense. But keeping it out of the spot where people go to read about RIM leaks sounds great to me. I'm not looking to Willyboy or any other file hacking hobbyist to be able to blindly improve a RIM release. I'm not knocking the work of people who like to tinker, but it should be recognized that that is exactly what creating a hybrid is. It is not the same thing as a leaked, intact beta.

A lot of these hybrids come out a handful of hours after a new leak surfaces. This is not enough time to assess whether there's even something to be gained from replacing certain OS files with new ones. The whole idea of it is id!otic to be frank, yet there's probably 8 times as many hybrid than beta threads. Each one of these guys release multiple versions for multiple devices with each different OS leak that surfaces. It's becoming difficult to find useful info about the real betas.
    Last edited by digitalb0y; 06-01-10 at 06:45 PM. Reason: how did I think that was gramatically acceptable before? Or intelligible at all for that matter?
    06-01-10 12:05 PM
    ^^^^
    C:\can\of\worms\open.bat

06-01-10 12:12 PM
    ^^^^
    C:\can\of\worms\open.bat

Heh, but he's got a point, though. You can't assess a leak adequately until you've given it a good week or so on your phone. Kind of hubristic to think that whenever an OS leaks, you can immediately improve it by switching out .cod files with some you have chosen from other builds.
    06-01-10 01:53 PM
    Imo, the forum should be split but it is not my decision.

I would like this because whilst I like RIM leaked OSs I absolutely hate hybrids. I would therefore like a clean RIM OS forum.

If you want a split then you should write to Kevin, AZeis and Bla1ze. They are the guys who make this happen.
    06-01-10 01:57 PM
    I agree with seperate forums, hybrids are growing fast in popularity, and will only increase as time goes on, meaning the existing forum will become even more crowded with hybrids. By separating them will make it possible for specific device "sub-forums" to be created in both a "leaked" and "hybrid" section allowing all to get what they want. Even tho I use hybrids, the problem is the same for both groups: organization. I would love to see device specific forums for both hybrids and leaks.

06-01-10 02:42 PM
    Candy. Sweet Candy.

That is all.
    06-01-10 02:53 PM
    Heh, but he's got a point, though. You can't assess a leak adequately until you've given it a good week or so on your phone. Kind of hubristic to think that whenever an OS leaks, you can immediately improve it by switching out .cod files with some you have chosen from other builds.
    Some hybrid builders don't even use their own hybrids. I don't particularly trust someone who builds hybrids for multiple phones because I know they aren't putting in time to test it out. Especially the main stream hybrid builders who do it for the $. It's almost like a bribe just to make a hybrid. A lot of builders don't even say whats new or updated in their hybrid, just post it with various strings of numbers, and say "faster, better than before" or something generic. Oh well, we'll see what happens with the poll.
    06-01-10 03:14 PM
    the question is to split or not to split, no one asked if you like/hate hybrids or love/hate leaks.
    06-01-10 03:51 PM
    I voted yes to the split.

Hybrids aren't totally useless, and do have their place IMO; when we haven't seen a leak for, say, our 9700's for ages, but someone refreshes an old release with the latest Java files... it's often worth having and sharing. I do agree with some of the previous comments though, and it's gotten overhyped / silly / cluttered here. One can no longer quickly pull up this area to see if there's a new leak, you're forced to wade through all the hundreds of hybrid version discussions. Yeah, I know we could use search, but doesn't it just make more sense to split it instead?
    06-01-10 05:01 PM
    People keep saying if there is a new leak how will we see it?

Wouldn't it be posted on the main page and also a thread called "LEAKED", etc OS version #................ So it will not be covered up. Till they get bored with that leak and the next one comes up....

But great discussion so far....
    06-01-10 05:43 PM
    Might as well add fuel the fire here....

Some individuals want to have the most recent software on their devices. As many people know, you can basically take all the java files from one device's OS and load them interchangeably on another. If John Smith has an 8900 and wants the .705 files from a Kepler curve on his phone, then he deserves the opportunity to load the "latest and greatest" on his phone. True, we all know the latest and the greatest doesn't always mean *better*, but he should be able to try if he wants, right? However, John Smith has no idea which files do what and which one's will work..... Look, I'm just trying to help John feed his addiction to have the latest software on his phone.

I agree that we should split the forums. Truthfully, I feel *bad* "clogging" up the "OS BETA/HYBRID" forums. But with lack of another place to post them, and hundreds of people in the CB community wanting to hear about the latest files that they can run on their device, what is a hybrid builder like myself supposed to do?

Many of us builders have branched out to our own sites to avoid this "clogging" of the forums. And for the diehards that love hybrids you know where to go to get them first. However, some people don't want to stray from CB, and that's fine and completely understandable. Heck, CB was where I and many others were "born" into the blackberry world and I'm not leaving it either!

To those that blindly criticize individuals for running one type of OS or the other, I say "Different strokes for different folks." People can load whatever they want on their device. But for people to throw around words like "hate", please refrain, as they have no place in a Blackberry forum.

No matter what OS you choose to run on your device, here's to hoping it runs the best it possibly can for you.
    06-01-10 06:16 PM
    *.*
    Amen, brothaman. Very well said.

06-01-10 06:20 PM
92 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD