Any chance of you starting a K3 question forum of its own instead of having the same questions popping up in a number of other forum sections, it's becoming annoying now having new post questions regarding this in the K2, ask a question and general discussion forums.
    It could be titled ' Ask your K3 questions here only don't start a new thread '
    Think I'll get my coat now.
    08-10-19 02:45 AM
    Good. So, assuming minimal investment by TCL, would most folks be satisfied (not thrilled but satisfied) with something like the KEY2 or KEY2 LE with slightly better specs and a reliable keyboard.
    08-10-19 12:40 PM
    Good. So, assuming minimal investment by TCL, would most folks be satisfied (not thrilled but satisfied) with something like the KEY2 or KEY2 LE with slightly better specs and a reliable keyboard.
    I think it is a struggle, because the 660/6/64 combination of the KEY² right now is more than enough for the majority of the pkb communication crowd. I can't do less with it today than I did a year ago.

While it would be nice to have a better camera, I don't think TCL will ever be in a position to provide something that is near-flagship-competitive. The top dogs have all of the good developers and all of the IP.
    08-10-19 12:50 PM
    I think it is a struggle, because the 660/6/64 combination of the KEY² right now is more than enough for the majority of the pkb communication crowd. I can't do less with it today than I did a year ago.

While it would be nice to have a better camera, I don't think TCL will ever be in a position to provide something that is near-flagship-competitive. The top dogs have all of the good developers and all of the IP.
    I agree. I'm quite satisfied with my KEY2 LE. I think my primary interest in the KEY3 is that TCL stay in the game. At some point, I will want to replace my PKB device and I'd like to know that there will be a good and current option.
    08-10-19 02:12 PM

Just because many want better camera quality than the KEY2 doesn't mean they expect flagship level results.

But not a downgrade from the KEYone would be a good start lol.

Oh and OIS is a MUST. If it's that expensive to have it there, then remove the portrait lens so at least we'll have watchable videos.

the 660/6/64 combination of the KEY² right now is more than enough for the majority of the pkb communication crowd. I can't do less with it today than I did a year ago.
    Yup, sure is, which is why for the KEY3 they should absolutely focus on features that matter more than internal specs, such as AMOLED, no capacitive nav keys, IP rating, dual speakers, grippier back, etc etc
    08-11-19 10:49 AM
    Just because many want better camera quality than the KEY2 doesn't mean they expect flagship level results.

But not a downgrade from the KEYone would be a good start lol.

Oh and OIS is a MUST. If it's that expensive to have it there, then remove the portrait lens so at least we'll have watchable videos.

Yup, sure is, which is why for the KEY3 they should absolutely focus on features that matter more than internal specs, such as AMOLED, no capacitive nav keys, IP rating, dual speakers, grippier back, etc etc
    Personally I think the camera is a decent upgrade from the KEYᵒⁿᵉ. I use the bokeh and 2x optical zoom modes quite often.

I certainly didn't imply flagship-quality, I was more generous by saying "near-flagship". I think it's already a capable enough mid-range.

I'm just not sure if a bump on the screen and speakers will cause a million people to jump at it (it certainly wouldn't change my day). And frankly, I'm not sure what would.
    08-11-19 11:35 AM
    I'm just not sure if a bump on the screen and speakers will cause a million people to jump at it (it certainly wouldn't change my day). And frankly, I'm not sure what would.
    Going from a 4.5" mid-grade LCD to a 4.8" AMOLED isn't a "bump on the screen", it's what I call a HUGE upgrade.

IP rating isn't a gimmick to be laughed at either.

Either way these features won't cause a giant shift in BBMo's marketshare, but it'll be a solid upgrade from what we have so far. It could help the brand name stay more relevant.
    08-11-19 11:47 AM
    Going from a 4.5" mid-grade LCD to a 4.8" AMOLED isn't a "bump on the screen", it's what I call a HUGE upgrade.

Either way these features won't cause a giant shift in BBMo's marketshare, but it'll be a solid upgrade from what we have so far. It could help the brand name stay more relevant.
    I agree. Though I LOVE the spartan aesthetics of my K2 it really is behind with those bazels and capacitive navigation keys.

Is it functional? Of course it is but it looks dated and appearance has a lot to do with consumer decision making.
    08-11-19 11:51 AM

I agree. Though I LOVE the spartan aesthetics of my K2 it really is behind with those bazels and capacitive navigation keys.

Is it functional? Of course it is but it looks dated and appearance has a lot to do with consumer decision making.
    Still not convinced it would be of much benefit to a sub-5" device.

But even if it was, we are talking about 1 million devices. I just don't see what could garner such a high level of enthusiasm from the existing KEY² line.
    08-11-19 11:54 AM
    Still not convinced it would be of much benefit to a sub-5" device.

But even if it was, we are talking about 1 million devices. I just don't see what could garner such a high level of enthusiasm from the existing KEY² line.
    It's not only exisiting BlackBerry & BlackBerry Mobile device owners that they should get after but it's every device owner out there.

The vision has to be beyond exisiting customers or they are playing a short end game here which IMO isn't fitting.

This inevitably lead us to the investment discussion and why should BlackBerry Mobile invest in marketing a brand that isn't theirs and if you guys ask me, that's exactly where the skeleton is at if you know what I mean....
    the_boon likes this.
    08-11-19 11:59 AM
    It's not only exisiting BlackBerry & BlackBerry Mobile device owners that they should get after but it's every device owner out there.

The vision has to be beyond exisiting customers or they are playing a short end game here which IMO isn't fitting.

This inevitably lead us to the investment discussion and why should BlackBerry Mobile invest in marketing a brand that isn't theirs and if you guys ask me, that's exactly where the skeleton is at if you know what I mean....
    Sure. But if you can't enthuse your base, you have even less hope of convincing others.
    08-11-19 12:02 PM
    Sure. But if you can't enthuse your base, you have even less hope of convincing others.
    I wouldn't go as far as saying the base isn't enthused. Disappointed? Yes but not enthused? Release some news and see how many flock to suck every bit of it.
    08-11-19 12:06 PM
    I just don't see what could garner such a high level of enthusiasm from the existing KEY² line.
    I stated it multiples times, but here we go again:

- 4.8" AMOLED. Meaning, no capacitive nav keys, the screen extends down to the keyboard like Q10 and Passport. No more side bezels and screen goes up top with a modest notch if necessary

- IP rating. We went over why it's possible. And it's not even just the theoretical Priv argument, but Unihertz is making it happen

- Dual speakers. I personally don't care much for this, but why not?

- Wireless charging. It's got a soft rubber back. Why the hell not?

- Reverse wireless charging.

- Grippier back. See the Priv

This is just off the top of my head
    08-11-19 12:07 PM

- 4.8" AMOLED. Meaning, no capacitive nav keys, the screen extends down to the keyboard like Q10 and Passport. No more side bezels and screen goes up top with a modest notch if necessary

- IP rating. We went over why it's possible. And it's not even just the theoretical Priv argument, but Unihertz is making it happen

That will surely get people to upgrade. Every single one of them? Probably not but as I said, the vision has to be beyond exisiting customer base.
    08-11-19 12:11 PM

I know. I hear you. These things just seem like expensive nice things to have as opposed to must haves. I'd be worried about price point.

BBMo made it adamantly clear they want to stay in the $399-649 price zone.
    08-11-19 12:14 PM
    I know. I hear you. These things just seem like expensive nice things to have as opposed to must haves. I'd be worried about price point.
    We have been primed to pay north of $700.00 with used device market sky rocketing even beyond that.

I don't think people will faint at $800.00. Will they complain? Absolutely...they will complain at $500.00 too. This is where marketing comes in but then again, we have an open debate there as well and still have to deal with possible tariff issues.
    the_boon likes this.
    08-11-19 12:17 PM
    the vision has to be beyond exisiting customer base.
    100% agree, and the features I listed are (some of) the ones that should help keep the device be relevant in the casual consumer's eye.

If I was just thinking of us diehards, I'd have requested a full-on optical trackpad lol.
    RK_BB likes this.
    08-11-19 12:25 PM
    If I was just thinking of us diehards, I'd have requested a full-on optical trackpad lol.
    Let them figure out their exisiting trackpad first before we have more failures to deal with...
    the_boon likes this.
    08-11-19 12:27 PM

BBMo made it adamantly clear they want to stay in the $399-649 price zone.
    The AMOLED and IP rating would probably be the most expensive out of the ones I listed, but for me they're the two single most important ones to have for a successor.
    But I think I speak for many others as well.

The wireless charging shouldn't cost much, I mean even a variant of the Classic and Passport had it, and they were made over 5 years ago!

Reverse wireless charging is pretty new, not sure what costs this implies.

Dual speakers? Meh, not too much but more than single obviously. It's probably the space it would need more than cost.

And that leaves us with the grippy back like the Priv. The material was part of what made it so secure to hold, but also because said back wrapped around the sides. A KEY3 with this would make for amazing grip, but it would sacrifice styling since there would be no metal on the sides.
    08-11-19 12:29 PM
    This conversation is pointless without carrier support. The carriers will decide whether or not to support Key3 or Key3 LE and those carriers will help choose the specs based on internal sales data. We can all think what sells but the carriers know far better what sells and more importantly, what doesn’t sell. I believe that’s where things lie now. The KEYone almost had all the carriers and the Key2 LE got the missing carrier but not the others. It’s simple when you look at what drives sales and support for most purchasers.
    08-11-19 01:29 PM
    This conversation is pointless without carrier support. The carriers will decide whether or not to support Key3 or Key3 LE and those carriers will help choose the specs based on internal sales data. We can all think what sells but the carriers know far better what sells and more importantly, what doesn’t sell. I believe that’s where things lie now. The KEYone almost had all the carriers and the Key2 LE got the missing carrier but not the others. It’s simple when you look at what drives sales and support for most purchasers.
    It's very important in the US, I agree.
    08-11-19 01:37 PM
    I started this thread with a particularity clear question and it's been taken way of topic without getting any answer to the original question, not that I'm annoyed or anything but I thought it was a good idea for people to get information about anything related to news of a k3 in a dedicated thread rather than spread out. So maybe I'll ask again. @Bla1ze
    08-15-19 05:17 AM
    I started this thread with a particularity clear question and it's been taken way of topic without getting any answer to the original question, not that I'm annoyed or anything but I thought it was a good idea for people to get information about anything related to news of a k3 in a dedicated thread rather than spread out. So maybe I'll ask again. @Bla1ze
    The problem is we know absolutely zero about any future devices - or even if they will ever exist.
    08-15-19 06:41 AM
    The problem is we know absolutely zero about any future devices - or even if they will ever exist.
    Exactly. So a dedicated thread somewhere would help instead of all over the place. Thanks for the reply.
    08-15-19 06:46 AM
    Exactly. So a dedicated thread somewhere would help instead of all over the place. Thanks for the reply.
    What would said thread contain then?
    08-15-19 06:52 AM
38 12