I think the title says it all. I would love the CrackBerrry folks to interview variuos legal professionals (who are experts in legalities of software) to comment on whether sideloading is piracy. Are people who sideload breaching Google Play terms and conditions (which is where the APK files are origniating from) or is BBRY themselves in breach by allowing this to occur.

Would love to see legal minds discuss this and share their opinions.
    08-25-13 11:47 AM
    There's so many variables in there that a generalized yes or no answer doesn't work. If you have a very specific question you might be able to get an answer though.
    08-25-13 02:33 PM
    I agree. It would be great to get some insight from a pro regarding some of the issues/grey areas.

Anyway, I am not looking to get into it here. Just an idea for the bloggers on this site.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-13 09:13 PM
    No one really wants to touch that.

I think BBRY having called it piracy is all you really need. We can use euphemisms all day, but it is what it is.
    08-25-13 09:36 PM
    No one really wants to touch that.I think BBRY having called it piracy is all you really need. We can use euphemisms all day, but it is what it is.
    Again, it depends on the app and a ton of other factors. Just dismissing it as piracy is incorrect. For example: open source apps.
    08-25-13 10:45 PM
    Again, it depends on the app and a ton of other factors. Just dismissing it as piracy is incorrect. For example: open source apps.
    I'm referring to taking an app, ignoring the governing TOS, repackaging it and using it without permission. What AS referred to as piracy.

I cannot claim to be an expert, but sideloading (as I describe it in layman's terms) is fairly clear cut piracy.

Hence, I doubt you'll get any more clarification from BBRY. It would be cool to see an article on it, but I understand why it may not happen.
    08-25-13 10:57 PM