• No

12 70.59%
  • Not sure

0 0%
  • I live under a bridge

1 5.88%
  • Othe, please explain in comments

1 5.88%
    I'd like to make a suggestion to CrackBerry and guage user interest in the suggestion.

I've been a CB member since 2009 and while not posting many forum threads or comments, I come here to read news, get information, provide help when I can and yes even have a little fun with other members. There are many other genuine members out there that are here for the same reasons, and there are many members who provide nothing of value, ever.

Since the launch of BlackBerry 10 and even leading up to the launch there have been various users posting what some would be considered missinformation, trolling comments, FUD or what have you. I know there is no way to truly know if posters are adding value to the site, are here for honest help or simply detracting from what Crackerry is providing us with, and I know that there will always be new users that join, and mistakenly get put off for "Only having one Coment" but I want to propose a way to authenticate true BlackBerry users and provide them with a way to experience CrackBerry the way it should be.

My idea is to offer the ability for BLACKBERRY users to authenticate upon sign up or at any point with their PIN. What better way to truly show you are in fact a BlackBerry user. This would have to be done in your user info and CrackBerry would have to ensure your privacy is maintained throught their privacy policy and have the PIN never visible to other meembers. This could be a one time thing, but perhaps aking for re-verification every few months or annually is not a bad idea either.
    This could be done(I think) by entering your PIN in your user info or having a separate validation page, which then has Crackberry send a PIN message to your BlackBerry with a web link for verification(The same way you have to verify most accounts through an email link).

What this could allow Crackberry to do is to provide authenticated users with either a new forum area where we can post info, stories or ask questios without the worry of having "trolls" fill the thread/forum with bogus information or BS. I'm not sure how it would work, but perhaps something like if a thread is started by an authenticated user only other authenticated users can reply to that thread, its essentially locked out to any members who haven't gone through the authentication, they'd still be able to read the comments, but never reply. Or a completely seprate forum area where only authenticated users can start threads and reply to threads.

Again, I'm not sure of the background work that would be involved by CrackBerry as I'm sure there would be a substantial amount of programming on their part, but this is something I'd personally be willing to pay a one time fee to help implement

Anyway, if you have any suggestions or even disagree, please comment.
    Last edited by AngryEdmontonian; 03-23-13 at 10:34 PM. Reason: Poorly worded needed to dumb it down to avoid confusion
    bmwbarrister likes this.
    03-23-13 11:34 AM
    Although in essence a good idea, I think that anyone could easilly hack it. How could you actually validate a genuine PIN?
    03-23-13 11:49 AM
    I'd like to make a suggestion to CrackBerry and guage user interest in the suggestion.

I've been a CB member since 2009 and while not posting many forum threads or comments, I come here to read news, get information, provide help when I can and yes even have a little fun with other members. There are many other genuine members out there that are here for the same reasons, and there are many members who provide nothing of value, ever.

Since the launch of BlackBerry 10 and even leading up to the launch there have been various users posting what some would be considered missinformation, trolling comments, FUD or what have you. I know there is no way to truly know if posters are adding value to the site, are here for honest help or simply detracting from what Crackerry is providing us with, and I know that there will always be new users that join, and mistakenly get put off for "Only having one Coment" but I want to propose a way to authenticate true BlackBerry users and provide them with a way to experience CrackBerry the way it should be.

My idea is to have all CrackBerry users authenticate upon sign up or at any point with their PIN. What better way to truly show you are in fact a BlackBerry user. This would have to be done in your user info and CrackBerry would have to ensure your privacy is maintained throught their privacy policy and have the PIN never visible to other meembers. This could be a one time thing, but perhaps aking for re-verification every few months or annually is not a bad idea either.
    This could be done(I think) by entering your PIN in your user info or having a separate validation page, which then has Crackberry send a PIN message to your BlackBerry with a web link for verification(The same way you have to verify most accounts through an email link).

What this could allow Crackberry to do is to provide authenticated users with either a new forum area where we can post info, stories or ask questios without the worry of having "trolls" fill the thread/forum with bogus information or BS. I'm not sure how it would work, but perhaps something like if a thread is started by an authenticated user only other authenticated users can reply to that thread, its essentially locked out to any members who haven't gone through the authentication, they'd still be able to read the comments, but never reply. Or a completely seprate forum area where only authenticated users can start threads and reply to threads.

Again, I'm not sure of the background work that would be involved by CrackBerry as I'm sure there would be a substantial amount of programming on their part, but this is something I'd personally be willing to pay a one time fee to help implement

I got rid of my BB for an SG3. Are you saying now that I cannot post or offer advice? Get real.

I am only voting cause I think this idea is ********.
    03-23-13 11:59 AM
    I never said you couldn't post or offer advice.

Just that it would give authenticated users the ability to make a post, make a thread or ask a question without having BS added.

So why is it "********"?

Thanks for taking the time to read the entire post, and voting

I'd like to ask, what advice you could offer a BB user? since you currently have an SG3. What would make your advice substantially more bennificial than someone who uses a BB?
    CerveloJohn likes this.
    03-23-13 12:23 PM
    Although in essence a good idea, I think that anyone could easilly hack it. How could you actually validate a genuine PIN?
    By sending a weblink thru a PIN message.
    03-23-13 12:24 PM
    I never said you couldn't post or offer advice.

Just that it would give authenticated users the ability to make a post, make a thread or ask a question without having BS added.

So why is it "********"?

Thanks for taking the time to read the entire post, and voting

I'd like to ask, what advice you could offer a BB user? since you currently have an SG3. What would make your advice substantially more bennificial than someone who uses a BB?

******** because CB is NOT just BB users. As you can see there is a Android forum, iPhone forum, ect. What you are stating is that only BB users with BB pins can make posts, in your words right here.
    03-23-13 12:29 PM
    ******** because CB is NOT just BB users. As you can see there is a Android forum, iPhone forum, ect. What you are stating is that only BB users with BB pins can make posts, in your words right here.
    Yeah, sorry. If you read my original post, it wasn't worded like that.
    Just that there "could" be a specific section for authenticated users or that "maybe" an authenticated user could have the ability to make it so only authenticated users could post a reply to "their" thread. Don't get butthurt, I'd never want to take away your only way to spend your free time, and don't twist my words, I never said block all others, or never allow AC, iMore, WPC, or webOS users to NOT make a thread or reply to other threads.

Again though, what makes your advice, as an SG3 user, more essential to a BB user?
    03-23-13 12:41 PM

My idea is to have all CrackBerry users authenticate upon sign up or at any point with their PIN. What better way to truly show you are in fact a BlackBerry user. This would have to be done in your user info and CrackBerry would have to ensure your privacy is maintained throught their privacy policy and have the PIN never visible to other meembers. This could be a one time thing, but perhaps aking for re-verification every few months or annually is not a bad idea either.

As stated above...
    Terrible idea!
    There are plenty of BB owners that dislike their devices.
    They post things such as "I have been a BB owner for 10 years, and I hate this Z10, for the lack of functionality that I was used to".
    Having a BB does not always mean that you are congruent or supportive to the platform.

On the other hand, there are members that used to own BB devices, and can provide great information regarding differences. Especially when they say they left the platform for specific reasons. We and BBRY should listen & learn from these people because we want them back!

Then there are those who never owned a BB device before, but are interested in the platform. Obviously they cannot provide information from experience with BB devices, but as stated before, they are a demographic that we want to bring over. BBRY cannot thrive by maintaining its core. We must have NEW users come to the platform. Shutting them down with hate just because they do not own a BB device in counter intuitive to what we are trying to achieve.

Members here must try to be inclusive and accepting, or we will get no where at all.
    03-23-13 12:47 PM
    not every one has a blackberry PIN. It seems most don't on here anyway.
    AngryEdmontonian likes this.
    03-23-13 12:50 PM
    We can find out WHY he has chosen to get a SGS3 as opposed to getting a BB!
    There are many things we can learn from a user from a different platform.
    There are innovations that all devices have specific to them and if we had what he missed, he would have purchased a BB!

Shutting out people does not expand your horizons!
    The island that BB was stranded on for years has made all the trouble that we are dealing with today....
    AngryEdmontonian likes this.
    03-23-13 12:53 PM
    What happened to PinStack
    03-23-13 12:57 PM
    We can find out WHY he has chosen to get a SGS3 as opposed to getting a BB!
    There are many things we can learn from a user from a different platform.
    There are innovations that all devices have specific to them and if we had what he missed, he would have purchased a BB!

Shutting out people does not expand your horizons!
    The island that BB was stranded on for years has made all the trouble that we are dealing with today....
    The reason(s) I left BB for my GS3. Let me see.
    1. NOT because I disliked the platform
    2. NOT because I felt the device did not perform
    2. NOT because the cost of the data plan
    4. NOT because of lack of apps
    5. Because I was wanting to try something different that continued to perform the functions i needed.
    -----Continued. Such as FB, Browsing, Email, SMS.

Things I do like about my GS3. The nightly ROM updates. CyanogenMod ROM is very tight. Works extremely well for me. The apps that I do use, those mentioned above and a few others. The amazing screen display, great for videos. The audio is excellent as well. The battery life is fair at times. Sometimes it drains almost hourly, not sure why, sometimes I can go 48-72 hours on a single charge. I have some research to do as to the reasons behind the odd battery life.

Sometimes a person will change devices solely for the reason they want a change. Life is full of changes. Marriage, Divorce, Cheating. I actually still have my 9800 on my nightside table. Sometimes I cheat on the SG3 with my BB, shhh, don't tell her.

Now back to my original comment. "********" was harsh, and for that I apologize, a better word may have been Segratory. I don't really think segregating any users from the knowledge of others based on if they have a PIN is useful. There are those on this site with no PINs that I would take their comments as gospel before even contemplating that of someone with a PIN.
    03-23-13 01:38 PM
    The reason(s) I left BB for my GS3. Let me see.
    5. Because I was wanting to try something different that continued to perform the functions i needed.

Sometimes a person will change devices solely for the reason they want a change.

I don't really think segregating any users from the knowledge of others based on if they have a PIN is useful. There are those on this site with no PINs that I would take their comments as gospel before even contemplating that of someone with a PIN.
    I agree!!
    Just to note, reason #5 is plenty enough for me.
    Actually that is exactly why I actually chose to STAY with BBRY.
    Being that it is a new OS with a new UI, and being different from anything else currently on the market.
    It will be new to me and I've only known BBRY exclusively for many years.
    I am just waiting for Magenta so I can fulfill my personal needs.

I'm glad that you keep the channels open with your old girlfriend. Er.. BB!
    Good Luck.

PS-Just to note that he made this post pointing out why he switched and the things he liked about his current device WITHOUT saying a single bad thing about his BB. You don't need a PIN for a commendable post here.
    03-23-13 02:04 PM
    Actually, the only negative thing I can say about BB is....

Lack of updates? Well there is the leaks so that can't it. The screen size? Not really. Small but I did watch videos on it so that can't be it. The speed of the device? Naw, did what it was designed to fast enough for me.

I am sorry, I cant really think of ANYTHING negative to post in regards to how I used the 9800 and or the 9810.

Sorry for wasting your time.
    TimJohnSmith and eddy_berry like this.
    03-23-13 03:25 PM
    I highly disagree. There are people out there who don't have BlackBerry phones but still are enthusiasts. But this is a forum...you don't need all these rules and regulations. And even with them, these so called "trolls" (some accused are, most aren't) will still be there.
    03-23-13 03:50 PM
    I highly disagree. There are people out there who don't have BlackBerry phones but still are enthusiasts. But this is a forum...you don't need all these rules and regulations. And even with them, these so called "trolls" (some accused are, most aren't) will still be there.
    Um, no they wouldn't be there. Sure they would be able to read the post but not reply.

My point was, that if I as a blackberry user wanted to ask a question and get feed back from other blackberry users, I would. I would be able to start a thread hit a toggle and lock the thread to only have Blackberry users be able to reply and not have to worry about the opinion of an iphone user of Android user. You could all still talk about your ROM's and the latest screen bypass. But "We" as users would be able to talk about real life experiences with our device

I am in no way sugessting blocking new user or not allow the forums to be open. Just that if we wanted to start a thread that we could get honest feed back for, we could. I don't care why you left BlackBerry nor do I want a to have to weed thru your posts if I didn't have to.

Anyway. Read the OP. I am NOT saying android and iphone users would not be able to post in the forums. Just that as a BlackBerry user, it would be nice to be able to set a thread so only other blackberry users could reply. WE WOULD STILL HAVE THE REGULAR FORUMS.

If you've taken the time to read and vote, thanks. Otherwise there is no point in telling everyone why you switched or which platform is better. That was the whole point of the thread, I don't care why you switched. I want to speak with and engage with other BlackBerry users not have to listen to why you switched.

Posted via CB10 on my Z10
    03-23-13 07:14 PM
    Why don't you start your own forum with PIN validation? Seems like it would solve your problem.
    03-23-13 07:26 PM
    Why don't you start your own forum with PIN validation? Seems like it would solve your problem.
    Because I don't have the resources and this one already exists, hence why I posted the poll here

Thanks for your well thought out response. Oh the irony of this thread.

03-23-13 07:34 PM
    Because I don't have the resources and this one already exists, hence why I posted the poll here

Thanks for your well thought out response. Oh the irony of this thread.

Well you're never going to have control over this forum to do what you want, which is why I suggested a viable alternative.
    03-23-13 07:41 PM
    Um, no they wouldn't be there. Sure they would be able to read the post but not reply.

My point was, that if I as a blackberry user wanted to ask a question and get feed back from other blackberry users, I would. I would be able to start a thread hit a toggle and lock the thread to only have Blackberry users be able to reply and not have to worry about the opinion of an iphone user of Android user. You could all still talk about your ROM's and the latest screen bypass. But "We" as users would be able to talk about real life experiences with our device

I am in no way sugessting blocking new user or not allow the forums to be open. Just that if we wanted to start a thread that we could get honest feed back for, we could. I don't care why you left BlackBerry nor do I want a to have to weed thru your posts if I didn't have to.

Anyway. Read the OP. I am NOT saying android and iphone users would not be able to post in the forums. Just that as a BlackBerry user, it would be nice to be able to set a thread so only other blackberry users could reply. WE WOULD STILL HAVE THE REGULAR FORUMS.

If you've taken the time to read and vote, thanks. Otherwise there is no point in telling everyone why you switched or which platform is better. That was the whole point of the thread, I don't care why you switched. I want to speak with and engage with other BlackBerry users not have to listen to why you switched.

I'm still with BlackBerry. But the point is, there are plenty of users out there who used to own BlackBerry smartphones (who may have switched for one reason or another) who do offer plenty of information. They wouldn't be able to answer those "special" threads. What if you had a question about a Z10 that someone who switched to an iPhone knows the answer to? He wouldn't be able to answer. This policy just wouldn't help. Forums are about everyone coming together to help and share their knowledge regardless of their platform. Yes, this is a BlackBerry forum, but it isn't limited to only BlackBerry users. And non BlackBerry users should have the same rights as long as they follow all of the rules. And remember this: Kevin for a while (last year) used an Android...so he wouldn't have been able to answer those "special" threads because he wouldn't have been able to provide an active PIN...think about that...
    03-23-13 07:45 PM
    Well you're never going to have control over this forum to do what you want, which is why I suggested a viable alternative.
    I never asked for control over the forum. just an extra option. Thanks for taking the time to read the OP and not just jump to conclusions
    03-23-13 08:23 PM
    I never asked for control over the forum. just an extra option. Thanks for taking the time to read the OP and not just jump to conclusions
    No problem. I also took other similar threads into consideration. There's a small, vocal group that only wants to gush over blackberry and bash everything else. They actually have their own forum out there if you look for it.
    03-23-13 08:27 PM
    I'm still with BlackBerry. But the point is, there are plenty of users out there who used to own BlackBerry smartphones (who may have switched for one reason or another) who do offer plenty of information. They wouldn't be able to answer those "special" threads. What if you had a question about a Z10 that someone who switched to an iPhone knows the answer to? He wouldn't be able to answer. This policy just wouldn't help. Forums are about everyone coming together to help and share their knowledge regardless of their platform. Yes, this is a BlackBerry forum, but it isn't limited to only BlackBerry users. And non BlackBerry users should have the same rights as long as they follow all of the rules. And remember this: Kevin for a while (last year) used an Android...so he wouldn't have been able to answer those "special" threads because he wouldn't have been able to provide an active PIN...think about that...
    Thanks for taking the time to read, and understand the post.
    Why wouldn't Kevin be able to respond, that made no sense, he always had an active BlackBerry.

In case you genius' who think I want to lock down all of the forums can't understand, it was more about providing Blackberry users with the ability to privatize or lock a "specific thread". NOT TO PREVENT OTHER PLATFORM USER FROM TAINTING AN ENTRIE THREAD WITH THEIR OPINON, such as this one.

But again, thanks for your well thought out responses.
    03-23-13 08:29 PM
    No problem. I also took other similar threads into consideration. There's a small, vocal group that only wants to gush over blackberry and bash everything else. They actually have their own forum out there if you look for it.
    I'm happy for them, and your ability to find them.
    03-23-13 08:31 PM
    Personally I think the mix of people here is what makes it great. I think if you're a blackberry user and haven't thought of trying an iPhone or android phone you're one of the few. I know I did and I'm a loyal blackberry guy. My point is most of the people who come here have the knowledge, the experience, or the desire to learn. What better then someone who has a respect for all platforms? Trolls will troll no matter what device they use.
    richardat and ajst222 like this.
    03-23-13 09:00 PM
34 12