new to forum, new to BB, first post.
    Was trying to find some info on this forum using advance search, and noticed the search cloud at the bottom. Most searches are of two smaller sizes, except "walker themes" which is a bit bigger, and "gay", which is HUGE in comparison to all other most searched for words, which I assume means it's by far the most searched for on this forum.

Why is this so? Is there something I should know about BBs or BB-users? (or this forum/website in particular)

(edit: I have no problems with people being open with their sexuality, or looking for similar-minded people on this website or otherwise, I'm just curious about the nature of this, the word is really huge in comparison, it's like the king of the search cloud. Can't be a coincidence... being new to this forum, I'm just curious as to why.)
    Last edited by klondikeee; 07-14-11 at 09:42 PM.
    07-14-11 09:31 PM
    Because it is used by some people to describe something not going their way mostly and like any other smartphones sometimes they get on our nerves. Most peoe post here because they have issues so theres alot of word slinging going around.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-14-11 11:05 PM
    No, the reason is the Social Forum for pin sharing. Lots of gay members wanting to meet other gay friends threads

07-14-11 11:10 PM
    No, the reason is the Social Forum for pin sharing. Lots of gay members wanting to meet other gay friends threads

$5 says it's from bots.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk
    07-14-11 11:20 PM
    I never noticed the cloud search before. I'm guessing its because of the social forum and the gay bbm sharing threads. I didn't see lesbian, but I did see bisexual. Although bisexual is not big and bold like GAY is.

I clicked on the gay tag and looked at some of the post. I noticed a lot of the people who post in those threads have a post count of 0. That's because post in the social forums don't count towards your post count. There seems to be a subculture that comes to crackberry and specifically search GAY and not much else.

I wonder if searches from unregistered visitors effect the cloud search? If so it could be random gays who come here and search for gay bbm pins.

bbm does seem to be popular among niche groups. Apparently the gay niche is the largest. They don't seem to interact much with the rest of the forum.
    07-15-11 12:53 AM
    They don't seem to interact much with the rest of the forum.
    Umm, how are you reaching that conclusion? There is no evidence to that effect whatsoever, unless you have collected usernames of people who post in gay BBM group threads and searched for their other posts on CB. If this is the case, you need to get a life, or maybe ask yourself why you are so interested.

There are lots of BBM groups for all kinds of people. BBW, gay men, gay women, bears, bisexuals, Christians, Muslims, Jews, geeks, techies, quilters, scrapbookers, bikers, sports fans, married, single, platonic, whatever. BBM is a great way for people to connect to other people who share similar beliefs, interests, or lifestyles without fear of outright rejection and persecution. Join a group with a given theme, and you are likely to be accepted easily into that group, unless someone is actively trolling it, in which case THEY need to get a life.

Imagine how difficult it would be for, say, a bisexual Muslim BBW to find someone to talk about it with. It makes sense that BBM has become a relatively safe way for people with interests that are "unpopular" with the societal norm to connect.

The point is they are BlackBerry users, and CrackBerry members, and that makes them family here.
    07-15-11 08:35 AM
    thank you all for the answers! I guess it makes sense, and I'm happy BB world can be filled with understanding and groups of likeminded people instead of disorder and hate against the uncommon.
    What's BBM? is that Black Berry Messenger? I'm yet to try it out, it sounds kinda fabulous and fascinating by your description... is it recommended?
    07-15-11 08:56 AM
    My guess would be that people seem to throw the word gay around for anything they think is stupid or dumb when in fact they are the ones that are well........ not stupid or dumb but not informed lets say.
    07-15-11 09:01 AM
    thank you all for the answers! I guess it makes sense, and I'm happy BB world can be filled with understanding and groups of likeminded people instead of disorder and hate against the uncommon.
    What's BBM? is that Black Berry Messenger? I'm yet to try it out, it sounds kinda fabulous and fascinating by your description... is it recommended?
    Yes, BBM is indeed BlackBerry Messenger, the BlackBerry's traditional killer app. It is a very efficient messaging service that allows you to send text, pics, files, ringtones, videos, and even voice notes to (only) other BlackBerry users. It uses your data plan, so it does not count against any SMS/MMS messaging limits you may have. If you have any other people in your life who have BlackBerries, BBM is THE way to keep in touch with them. It IS fabulous and fascinating!

There are also rumors that RIM will be opening up BBM to iOS and Android, but since Apple released iMessage, we'll see where that goes.

RIM is also introducing social gaming and music/playlist sharing with BBM integration soon.

BlackBerries also highly compress the data, so the overall amount of data usage is greatly reduced, allowing many BB users to choose a cheaper limited data plan.
    07-15-11 09:34 AM
    Umm, how are you reaching that conclusion? There is no evidence to that effect whatsoever, unless you have collected usernames of people who post in gay BBM group threads and searched for their other posts on CB.
    Social Users & PIN/Barcode Sharing..... I will abbreviate this forum as PIN Sharing for the sake of brevity

You make a good point. When I saw the low post count of people who posted in gay bbm threads, I assumed they didn't post much elsewhere. But PIN sharing isn't the only forum that doesn't add towards post count. Off-Topic doesn't count either. I think I need to look at this differently.

I'm not 100% sure how the cloud search statistics are tabulated. I went to advanced search. At the bottom of the page it says Search Tag Cloud then it says These are the 70 most-searched-for thread tags. They are all in alphabetical order but it appears the most frequent searches are listed in bold and larger letters with GAY being the largest. It seems that the search tag cloud counts how many times people use the Search by Tag feature. I'm not sure if Search by Keyword affects ranking in the Search Tag Cloud.

The second biggest phrase in the Search Tag Cloud is walker themes. This search seems kind of specific. Examining it more closely could reveal some nuances of how the Search Tag Cloud is generated. Forum member r-walker is a theme creator who seems to have a considerable following. I looked over his post from the last month or so and most of his post are about themes he's created. He post in each of the individual device forums for which he makes themes for, to let people know of his new themes. I tried different search scenarios for walker themes.

1. Search > (input) walker themes = most recent threads/posts with the keywords walker themes
    2. Search > Advanced Search > Search by Keyword > (input) walker themes = most recent threads/posts with keywords walker themes
    3. Search > Advanced Search > Search by Tag > (input) walker themes = most recent threads tagged walker themes. I have no way to confirm this but considering the variables it's obvious.
    4. Search > Tag Search > Search by Tag > (input) walker themes = most recent threads tagged walker themes

If I was looking for a specific theme by r-walker than it would be easier to search by tag because it brings up threads started by r-walker in which he talks about his themes. If I search by keywords than it would bring up any mention of walker themes, but not as well organized and easy to search as the tagged results.

I think in someways this may also be the reason why seekers of gay bbm threads tend to use tagged searches. Although they're not looking for a specific title starter. When I search gay by keyword. Many threads come up that aren't specifically gay oriented. It seems that the word gay shows up randomly in several threads. In fact even in this thread there was a somewhat random response "this thread is gay". Comments like that can clutter a search for gay bbm PIN sharing threads if said search was done by keyword. When I search gay using the tagged search, all of the threads that show up are gay oriented.

I checked a few of the threads that show up when gay is searched by tag. Most of the posters had a 0 post count. I checked the profiles of a few and clicked see all post in their profiles. Most only posted in gay bbm PIN Sharing type threads. Many only had one or two post. The influx of these transient posters; who perform tagged searches for gay because the cluttered keywords searches for gay brings back many non-gay threads; have raised GAY to the top of the 70 most-searched-for thread tags.
    07-16-11 02:03 AM
    Social Users & PIN/Barcode Sharing..... I will abbreviate this forum as PIN Sharing for the sake of brevity

You make a good point. When I saw the low post count of people who posted in gay bbm threads, I assumed they didn't post much elsewhere. But PIN sharing isn't the only forum that doesn't add towards post count. Off-Topic doesn't count either. I think I need to look at this differently.

I'm not 100% sure how the cloud search statistics are tabulated. I went to advanced search. At the bottom of the page it says Search Tag Cloud then it says These are the 70 most-searched-for thread tags. They are all in alphabetical order but it appears the most frequent searches are listed in bold and larger letters with GAY being the largest. It seems that the search tag cloud counts how many times people use the Search by Tag feature. I'm not sure if Search by Keyword affects ranking in the Search Tag Cloud.

The second biggest phrase in the Search Tag Cloud is walker themes. This search seems kind of specific. Examining it more closely could reveal some nuances of how the Search Tag Cloud is generated. Forum member r-walker is a theme creator who seems to have a considerable following. I looked over his post from the last month or so and most of his post are about themes he's created. He post in each of the individual device forums for which he makes themes for, to let people know of his new themes. I tried different search scenarios for walker themes.

1. Search > (input) walker themes = most recent threads/posts with the keywords walker themes
    2. Search > Advanced Search > Search by Keyword > (input) walker themes = most recent threads/posts with keywords walker themes
    3. Search > Advanced Search > Search by Tag > (input) walker themes = most recent threads tagged walker themes. I have no way to confirm this but considering the variables it's obvious.
    4. Search > Tag Search > Search by Tag > (input) walker themes = most recent threads tagged walker themes

If I was looking for a specific theme by r-walker than it would be easier to search by tag because it brings up threads started by r-walker in which he talks about his themes. If I search by keywords than it would bring up any mention of walker themes, but not as well organized and easy to search as the tagged results.

I think in someways this may also be the reason why seekers of gay bbm threads tend to use tagged searches. Although they're not looking for a specific title starter. When I search gay by keyword. Many threads come up that aren't specifically gay oriented. It seems that the word gay shows up randomly in several threads. In fact even in this thread there was a somewhat random response "this thread is gay". Comments like that can clutter a search for gay bbm PIN sharing threads if said search was done by keyword. When I search gay using the tagged search, all of the threads that show up are gay oriented.

I checked a few of the threads that show up when gay is searched by tag. Most of the posters had a 0 post count. I checked the profiles of a few and clicked see all post in their profiles. Most only posted in gay bbm PIN Sharing type threads. Many only had one or two post. The influx of these transient posters; who perform tagged searches for gay because the cluttered keywords searches for gay brings back many non-gay threads; have raised GAY to the top of the 70 most-searched-for thread tags.
    Thanks for clarifying!
    07-16-11 07:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD