I have my forum settings as Enhanced Full WYSIWYG

Well since the days (1980's) of Word Perfect, WYSIWYG means What You See Is What You Get

Which in this case is a total lie - If you apply any formatting - you dont 'see' the formatting it applies tags

Is this totally misleading or am I missing something????
    09-15-10 01:35 PM
    i'm not even following what you are attempting to get it.
    09-15-10 01:44 PM
    I'm assuming you are talking about forum settings here on CB...which leads me to think this post should be in the CrackBerry.com site-related forum. This is not BlackBerry-related.

I have mine set to the same (WYSIWYG), and as I type, I can change the formatting at will, and it shows me the kind of text formatting I'm expecting...when I am in the full-reply message box... giant purple words!!!

Yup, seems to be working just fine. I'm gonna go with "you're just missing something".

This post in progress:

Last edited by rrrebo; 09-18-10 at 04:14 PM.
    09-15-10 02:16 PM
    Yes, but you still don't see any font changes or colors until after you post the reply. I think that is what Chris-K is referring to.

Invisible till posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by albee 1; 09-15-10 at 08:32 PM.
    09-15-10 08:30 PM
    WYSIWYG is not going to show the HTML formating. You can click on View and View Source to see that.
    09-15-10 08:38 PM
    ....I have mine set to the same (WYSIWYG), and as I type, I can change the formatting at will, and it shows me the kind of text formatting
    not me - as-i-type i just get formatting tags added - i have to preview or post before I see-what-get

....Yup, seems to be working just fine. I'm gonna go with "you're just missing something".
    I must be

...but you still don't see any font changes or colors until after you post the reply. I think that is what Chris-K is referring to.
    That's exactly what I mean

In the ooooold days before the internet was invented, that's how word processors worked - as you applied formatting it just added formatting tags around the text so you couldn't see "What You Got" until you previewed it - made it very tricky to edit and would obviously be impossible to desktop publish

"Word Perfect" word processor came up with the revolution "WYSIWYG" (What You See Is What You Get) that applied any all formatting As-You-Typed

WYSIWYG revolutionise word processing from that day - you wont find any word processor that doesn't do it nowadays

Hence using the term WYSIWYG for the forum editing couldn't be further from the definition of the phrase

I want the post editor that rrrebo is using
    09-16-10 03:47 AM
    Question: What does forum posting formatting have to do with BlackBerry? Answer: Not a darn thing. Wrong church/wrong pew.

FAIL
    09-16-10 06:25 AM
    Question: What does forum posting formatting have to do with BlackBerry? Answer: Not a darn thing. Wrong church/wrong pew.

FAIL
    DUh, a lot of us maybe Post from our Blackberries ?
    If you don't like the pew, get out of the church.

Double FAIL
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by albee 1; 09-16-10 at 07:00 AM.
    09-16-10 06:54 AM
    Chris-K, I think the problem is everything we post from our bb's on this frorum is plain text. It can't get converted until it physically reaches their server. Hence the necessity to post before we see the result.

rrebo, are you posting from your bb or a pc?

09-16-10 08:25 AM
    I can only format the text when I'm typing from a PC or a Mac. But if it's from a blackberry it is just plain text

09-16-10 08:31 AM
    I can only format the text when I'm typing from a PC or a Mac. But if it's from a blackberry it is just plain text

I think it's the same for all. Unless you have a 3rd party app installed on your bb.

09-16-10 09:04 AM
    I have my forum settings as Enhanced Full WYSIWYG

Well since the days (1980's) of Word Perfect, WYSIWYG means What You See Is What You Get

Which in this case is a total lie - If you apply any formatting - you dont 'see' the formatting it applies tags

Is this totally misleading or am I missing something????
    I'll assume this a serious post?

Welcome to the 21st century. Even WYSIWYG uses tagging and formatting codes in the background. Programs like Word and Word Perfect can/could be set up so you could see those tags and formatting codes as you type. When you make a post (I'm assuming that's what you're talking about) in a forum, the formatting is applied 1st as visual tags (which you can see) around your plaintext input. When you subsequently hit "Submit Reply" or "Preview Post", the resulting tags render your text into bolding, underlining, italicizing, etc.

Not sure where the "lie" (as you put it) is in all this?
    09-17-10 06:34 AM
    I posted this from a PC, and as my screenshot shows, my "Enhanced Full WYSIWYG" editor rendered my formatting changes in realtime in the reply box, without my clicking Preview Post. I see the formatting, not the tags. I'm using Firefox 3.6.8.
    09-17-10 10:44 AM
    Looks like just mine that doesn't work - no worries
    09-17-10 11:20 AM
    Since everyone elses works I tried I/Explorer (normally use Google chrome) and what do you know - It works - hooorrrrrraaaaaayyyyyyy

09-17-10 11:27 AM
    Thank God we got that settled! But it is fun to follow posts to the resolve or conclusion in order to feed the old gray matter. I still wish we could do that from our bb's in realtime though.

Happy Friday and Have a glorious weekend all!

09-17-10 12:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD