The "Forum Rules and Policies" forum should be at the top of the Forums home page.

As of now, it's buried all the way in the bottom, where, on desktop version, you have to scroll past 81 different forums (193 if you include the subforum links) in order to find the rules. Every other forum I've been to puts the rules at the top, so that people might actually see them. It doesn't make sense to hold people accountable for rules that you're trying to hide from them.
    05-15-18 02:14 PM
    The "Forum Rules and Policies" forum should be at the top of the Forums home page.

As of now, it's buried all the way in the bottom, where, on desktop version, you have to scroll past 81 different forums (193 if you include the subforum links) in order to find the rules. Every other forum I've been to puts the rules at the top, so that people might actually see them. It doesn't make sense to hold people accountable for rules that you're trying to hide from them.
    General common sense and basic good manners take care of 99% of anything that would be in those rules.
    kbz1960, eiruvrav and Laura Knotek like this.
    05-15-18 04:28 PM

Did you violate?? LOL
    05-15-18 06:38 PM
    General common sense and basic good manners take care of 99% of anything that would be in those rules.
    Then it would only be reasonable to clarify the 1% that isn't common sense, at the top of the forums home page. If writing the letter f and 3 asterisks after it is a violation of the rules, that should be made clear. A forum that blindsides users with punishments for unwritten rules is quite a tyrannical and unwelcoming environment.

I'm only trying to improve this place.
    05-27-18 06:39 PM
    Then it would only be reasonable to clarify the 1% that isn't common sense, at the top of the forums home page. If writing the letter f and 3 asterisks after it is a violation of the rules, that should be made clear. A forum that blindsides users with punishments for unwritten rules is quite a tyrannical and unwelcoming environment.

I'm only trying to improve this place.
    Honestly, I wouldn't lump swearing in with "basic good manners" - especially that particular one.
    05-27-18 06:44 PM
    Honestly, I wouldn't lump swearing in with "basic good manners".
    Again. For example, writing the letter S and 3 asterisks after it. It is not remotely obvious for that to be against the rules. Punishing someone for that is completely out of left field.Unless you CLARIFY, IN THE RULES, that that's not allowed, and put it somewhere easy to find.

If people KNOW the rules, then they will actually be capable of following them, because they know what they are. No one will accidentally break the rules, if they know what the rules are.

I'm only trying to make it less likely for people to be blindsided with punishments for rules they don't know exist. It's truly irresponsible and arrogant to say "it's only common sense." When it's not. At all. Many forums allow cursing, it's just common sense.

Really. "Common sense" is subjective. It's arrogant to say "if they don't have our common sense, too bad."
    05-27-18 06:52 PM
    Again. For example, writing the letter S and 3 asterisks after it. It is not remotely obvious for that to be against the rules. Punishing someone for that is completely out of left field.Unless you CLARIFY, IN THE RULES, that that's not allowed, and put it somewhere easy to find.

If people KNOW the rules, then they will actually be capable of following them, because they know what they are. No one will accidentally break the rules, if they know what the rules are.

I'm only trying to make it less likely for people to be blindsided with punishments for rules they don't know exist. It's truly irresponsible and arrogant to say "it's only common sense." When it's not. At all. Many forums allow cursing, it's just common sense.

Really. "Common sense" is subjective. It's arrogant to say "if they don't have our common sense, too bad."
    I guess you're back and now you know.. Welcome to CrackBerry........
    05-27-18 08:20 PM

When registering as a member, you are shown the Forum Rules & Guidelines and are required to accept them before your membership is finalized. If someone chooses to proceed without even a cursory reading, they can't complain about receiving warnings or infractions. Also, the first brush with the R&G is typically a zero point warning. And, every warning or infraction automatically goes out with a link to the R&G as a "refresher".
    05-27-18 08:32 PM
    How many points til you're banned
    06-05-18 10:09 AM
    How many points til you're banned
    From the R&G (Community Rules and Guidelines)

First Ban - Triggered by 100 Infraction Points - 3 Day Ban
    Second Ban - Triggered by another 75 Infraction Points - 1 Week Ban (7 days)
    Third Ban - Triggered by another 50 Infraction Points - 1 Month Ban (30 days)
    Fourth Ban - Triggered by ANY Infraction - Permanent Ban
    06-05-18 10:15 AM
    Is there a way to know how many infraction points have been given to you? Do they expire over time (like driving demerit points) or do they last forever?
    06-05-18 10:18 AM
    Is there a way to know how many infraction points have been given to you? Do they expire over time (like driving demerit points) or do they last forever?
    To see if or how many infraction points one has, go to one's Forum Profile and click on the "Infractions" tab. It will list expired and active infractions (with expiry date). Get to the Forum Profile by clicking on your avatar or username in a post, then select Forum Profile. You can also get to it by clicking on Forum Profile at the bottom of the "Social" links at the far right of the menu at the top of the desktop page. *** FYI -- Only you, and Moderators/Admin's, can see your infraction history.

Yes, most infractions will have an expiry date; they vary depending on the infractions. The list of infractions/point value/expiry date is listed in the R&G (Community Rules and Guidelines). Note that this is a guide that Moderators use -- different circumstances may require that we tweak specific infractions. For instance, when we know a member is attempting to draw attention and be banned, rather than just walking away or cancelling their account. (Yes, it happens!)
    Thud Hardsmack likes this.
    06-05-18 12:43 PM