I used to come to CrackBerry for news and interesting articles. Even when things were slow in the realm of BlackBerry, there always seemed to be general articles that talked about BlackBerry that discussed the company and how they are doing and gave insight into BlackBerry. Where they've been and where they are going. Breaking down their business model and explaining what they are doing or trying to do. There's a terrific article on BerryFlow by Jubei Raziel just a couple days ago titled "Believe in BlackBerry". These are the type of articles that were written all the time on CrackBerry. Those are the articles that had me feeling like if I didn't check the site every hour or so, I would be missing something. Now, I feel like I can not be on the site for a day or two and I wouldn't miss anything. And wasn't Jubei on the CrackBerry team for a short minute?

I feel that the fire and excitement that was in the belly of CrackBerry.com has long extinguished since Kevin left. It feels like everyone at CrackBerry is just going thru the motions and doing the minimum that needs to be done to keep the site going. There doesn't seem to be any imagination or creativity anymore.

And I feel like I see more posted about sales on cases and screen protectors than any real articles.

I really hope something changes to get the CrackBerry engines going again.
    Last edited by stinckyfoot; 03-24-15 at 05:13 PM.
    Aju and SubCamp like this.
    03-24-15 04:07 PM
    It's actually rather interesting you bring up that specific article because Jubei brought it to me to post on CrackBerry but between him James and I, we decided it would be best to place it on BerryFlow for several reasons but that's neither here nor there. As for other stuff, it's interesting you say CB isn't the same CB any more as well, mainly because the same relation could be said about BlackBerry.

BlackBerry isn't the same BlackBerry any more either. Their focus has shifted a lot and right now, they're no longer playing as much of a consumer game. It's all about Enterprise and as such, a lot of what they do is behind the scenes and not really out there for everyone to see, which makes it hard to highlight and detail a lot of what they're doing these days and it's only going to get deeper into that arena. Their general news flow is going to be less as we've seen over the past few months.

It's not just a CrackBerry thing. Every BlackBerry site has been hit by the same thing and has to transition into BlackBerry's new software and Enterprise world. N4BB posts less, BlackBerry Empire posts less, Berry Review hardly ever posts, BlackBerry OS posts less. The landscape is changing and until BlackBerry themselves settle into the change it's going to be that way.

Also, BlackBerry being in their quiet period right before the earnings call hasn't been much help for the past month either. They're not saying much of anything these days because they simply can't. Until that time is over, we're not going to hear much. The most consumer thing in their pipeline right now is the Slider, so hopefully we'll hear more about that soon.
    03-25-15 10:34 AM
    CB is fine for me! I check the forums several (I mean several) times a day. Alot of stuff to learn, help and read and lol!

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.1.2480
    James Nieves likes this.
    03-25-15 10:38 AM
    It's actually rather interesting you bring up that specific article because Jubei brought it to me to post on CrackBerry but between him James and I, we decided it would be best to place it on BerryFlow for several reasons but that's neither here nor there. As for other stuff, it's interesting you say CB isn't the same CB any more as well, mainly because the same relation could be said about BlackBerry. BlackBerry isn't the same BlackBerry any more either.
    Then WHERE?

OP, with BlackBerry turning it's focus more and more on enterprise, there really isn't that much that consumers can find interesting.

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-25-15 10:39 AM
    I don't think I've ever seen such an eloquent reply from Bla1ze before

What I don't like is how the founder of the site, Kevin Michaluk, bolted from CrackBerry. He saw the writing on the wall as soon as John Chen made it clear enterprise would be the focus. It's almost like he said to Chris Parsons, "This is your problem now."

When the founder of the largest BlackBerry fan site in the world leaves for greener pastures, it means the consumer market for BlackBerry is all but dead. Kevin switching to iPhone speaks volumes about the irrelevance of BlackBerry 10 in the market.
    Matt J and Maxxxpower like this.
    03-25-15 08:45 PM
    That Jubei piece is way too unrealistic to be featured on a MobileNations site. Even during the crazy days of PreCentral/webOSNation when Palm was being sold and HP was running it into the ground, Dieter Bohn and Derek Kessler remained pretty objective in their coverage. I don't recall either of them telling readers that they should believe in anything. There is such as credibility once you get beyond the style.
    mikeo007 and JeepBB like this.
    03-25-15 09:13 PM
    Just for the record, I like Bla1ze more than Kevin (unless you're reading this Kevin, in which case I like you evenly).

Posted via CB10
    grover5, Matt J, moody and 2 others like this.
    03-25-15 10:42 PM
    It's actually rather interesting you bring up that specific article because Jubei brought it to me to post on CrackBerry but between him James and I, we decided it would be best to place it on BerryFlow for several reasons but that's neither here nor there. As for other stuff, it's interesting you say CB isn't the same CB any more as well, mainly because the same relation could be said about BlackBerry.

BlackBerry isn't the same BlackBerry any more either. Their focus has shifted a lot and right now, they're no longer playing as much of a consumer game. It's all about Enterprise and as such, a lot of what they do is behind the scenes and not really out there for everyone to see, which makes it hard to highlight and detail a lot of what they're doing these days and it's only going to get deeper into that arena. Their general news flow is going to be less as we've seen over the past few months.

It's not just a CrackBerry thing. Every BlackBerry site has been hit by the same thing and has to transition into BlackBerry's new software and Enterprise world. N4BB posts less, BlackBerry Empire posts less, Berry Review hardly ever posts, BlackBerry OS posts less. The landscape is changing and until BlackBerry themselves settle into the change it's going to be that way.

Also, BlackBerry being in their quiet period right before the earnings call hasn't been much help for the past month either. They're not saying much of anything these days because they simply can't. Until that time is over, we're not going to hear much. The most consumer thing in their pipeline right now is the Slider, so hopefully we'll hear more about that soon.

Good points. But I miss the articles like the one on BerryFlow. I don't get why it was felt that that article was best on BerryFlow.

As for N4BB, they always posted less. And their reporting was sloppy and was never very accurate. They always seemed to report to get clicks.
    03-26-15 10:23 AM

What I don't like is how the founder of the site, Kevin Michaluk, bolted from CrackBerry. He saw the writing on the wall as soon as John Chen made it clear enterprise would be the focus. It's almost like he said to Chris Parsons, "This is your problem now."

When the founder of the largest BlackBerry fan site in the world leaves for greener pastures, it means the consumer market for BlackBerry is all but dead. Kevin switching to iPhone speaks volumes about the irrelevance of BlackBerry 10 in the market.
    Kevin switched to an iPhone???
    03-26-15 10:27 AM

Nah, Kevin is much smarter than that. He saw the writing on the wall much much earlier than that. When he decided to let CrackBerry become part of Mobile Nations, essentially he was making a strategic move that he figured would allow his baby to stay alive despite rapidly diminishing traffic (relative to other platform sites). I imagine CB at this point is almost subsidized by Android Central and iMore.

It's almost similar to Chen hoping cross-platform services will bring in enough revenue to cover any losses in the hardware business.

The fans probably bashed both moves (by Kevin and Chen) as "treason" and "selling out", failing to realize they were moves needed to (at least try to) keep feeding them.

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB, Maxxxpower and Uzi like this.
    03-26-15 10:39 AM
    That Jubei piece is way too unrealistic to be featured on a MobileNations site. Even during the crazy days of PreCentral/webOSNation when Palm was being sold and HP was running it into the ground, Dieter Bohn and Derek Kessler remained pretty objective in their coverage. I don't recall either of them telling readers that they should believe in anything. There is such as credibility once you get beyond the style.
    That's part of why I opted to not run it. It was a bit too optimistic in some places that I didn't necessarily agree with and rather than take away from the article itself, because really, there was some great parts in there that I did agree with, Jubei, James and I talked it over and felt it would be a better fit on BerryFlow. Nothing more, nothing less.
    moody likes this.
    03-26-15 01:05 PM
    Jubei, James and I talked it over and felt it would be a better fit on BerryFlow. Nothing more, nothing less.
    Thought Jubei had nothing to do with CrackBerry anymore.
    03-26-15 03:01 PM
    Thought Jubei had nothing to do with CrackBerry anymore.
    That doesn't mean I don't still talk to him though. Not sure why everyone is under the impression there's 'hate' there or whatever.
    03-26-15 09:41 PM
    That doesn't mean I don't still talk to him though. Not sure why everyone is under the impression there's 'hate' there or whatever.
    SLFF has been spread rumors ever since he was told that CB can no longer tolerate his insolence.

Posted via CB10
    anon(9208252) and moody like this.
    03-26-15 10:43 PM
    SLFF has been spread rumors ever since he was told that CB can no longer tolerate his insolence.

Posted via CB10
    I hate that guy.
    anon(9208252) and moody like this.
    03-27-15 03:41 AM
    Nah, Kevin is much smarter than that. He saw the writing on the wall much much earlier than that.
    You're probably right, likely with the botched BB10 launch and the stock price plunge of 2013.
    03-28-15 08:40 AM
    Nah, Kevin is much smarter than that. He saw the writing on the wall much much earlier than that. When he decided to let CrackBerry become part of Mobile Nations, essentially he was making a strategic move that he figured would allow his baby to stay alive despite rapidly diminishing traffic (relative to other platform sites). I imagine CB at this point is almost subsidized by Android Central and iMore.

It's almost similar to Chen hoping cross-platform services will bring in enough revenue to cover any losses in the hardware business.

The fans probably bashed both moves (by Kevin and Chen) as "treason" and "selling out", failing to realize they were moves needed to (at least try to) keep feeding them.

Posted via CB10
    Having seen the actual numbers I can say that you have "imagined" incorrectly! . CrackBerry leads the pack in many stats, and is second to only AC in the ones it does not!
    grover5 and AnimalPak200 like this.
    03-30-15 01:36 AM
    Having seen the actual numbers I can say that you have "imagined" incorrectly! . CrackBerry leads the pack in many stats, and is second to only AC in the ones it does not!
    It appears CrackBerry has the most active Mobile Nations forum, likely amongst the most per capita of any tech site on the net.
    03-30-15 06:02 AM
    OP shares the same feeling I had...I was badly thinking abt it since so many weeks....if crackberry would be posting everything, I really wouldnt had to subscribe to many channels....but the situation is I should keep checking everything every now and then to get some BlackBerry news.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-15 06:11 AM
    That's good to hear!

Posted via CB10
    03-30-15 08:55 AM
    Totally read this. And don't worry Peevish, you're still alright in my books

Just for the record, I like Bla1ze more than Kevin (unless you're reading this Kevin, in which case I like you evenly).

Posted via CB10
    03-31-15 04:27 PM
    "between him James and I" .... should be "between James, him and me". I think editors should know proper English.
    p1800nut likes this.
    04-02-15 05:57 PM
    "between him James and I" .... should be "between James, him and me". I think editors should know proper English.
    I am on Imore and Android Central as well as crackberry throughout a given week and I can at least attest to the Imore forums being pretty dead. The same 9 or 10 posters basically post the same apple is perfect drivel in every thread. Its a bit of a bore. I think crackberry still has the best forums. Android Central is second best I think.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Last edited by pkcable; 04-04-15 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Filter avoidance
    04-02-15 06:10 PM
    While I have and always will have tremendous respect for Kevin, things change and people move on. That's one of the realities of the past-paced technology world and I would further propose that the mobile world moves even faster. Deal with it or find something more pedestrian to follow....like curling.

CB has changed and as Bla1ze correctly points out, so has Blackberry. Kevin brought his own unique flair to CB, so has Blaize and while there's always room for improvement, we all do the best we can with what we've got.

Just be thankful there is a Crackberry and dedicated folks who keep it going.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-10-15 09:34 AM
    I turn to CrackBerry. I love BlackBerry, it's not what it used to be, but to echo Bla1ze's comments, this is the way it is. As long as there is BlackBerry, I'll be one of their customers. Not sure why I am so brand loyal to them, but it for me it's simply because:

A)it does what I need and does it well;
    B)it's a Canadian company; and
    C)they've always been about business from the very start and they're just steering back into their lane after brushing the gravel shoulder a bit...

Kevin may come back as the CrackBerry Head of State at some point... Perhaps he's doing what one of the old former superpower nation leaders did with his PM and have a well laid out power sharing agreement to come back as our Pres! I'm sure Kevin is pocketing a BlackBerry device somewhere ;-)

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2558
    04-10-15 05:10 PM
29 12