Just wondering, with Chen saying he's prepared to prosecute anybody either employees or outsiders for releasing leaks or details of future projects where Crackberry stands on this considering this is the place to go for leaks and information on future developments.
    03-31-14 04:06 PM
    Well "conflict of interest" wouldn't be the applicable term. This site is not affiliated with BBRY.

Chen's comments were principally directed at leaks of hardware and/or details of hardware. If BBRY were to contact CB with an issue, the CB brass would properly evaluate BBRY's concern and decide on a course of action.

And remember, most of the so-called leaks are not really leaks. If any carrier has officially released an OS build, that's not a leak.
    Leak would be an OS build as yet unreleased and likely in testing currently or in very recent past. 10.3.0.140 is the best example of this currently.
    03-31-14 04:43 PM
    I think Chen is also talking about entities under non-disclosure agreements (NDAs). If I recall, CrackBerry never signs those, unless there is something specific they may want to be involved with.

CrackBerry would be clear of anything. Although, as Kevin's posted recently, they might remove a posting about something if asked. The source of any initial leak, however, would be the one in potential trouble. As would the guy in Chen's post who used false credentials to gain access to the BlackBerry network - that could be considered corporate espionage.

Posted via CB10
    03-31-14 05:30 PM
    Easy to address:

A) For my thought on leaks in general, read this: BlackBerry CEO John Chen lays down the law for leakers | CrackBerry.com

That was my response regarding general leaks, etc.

B) Remember, by the time stuff hits our tip box, etc., it's already leaked as far as I'm concerned. If we didn't post it, the leaker would just send it to somebody else and they'd post it. So I'd rather it be us who posts it and provides proper context around it. Nothing changes there. If it comes to us, we'll continue to post as we normally would. And if somebody else posts the leak, we'll definitely still report it with a quick turnaround time and proper context.

C) Re: NDA's, we never have to sign them. Well, maybe once in all my years I was going to sign a short-term NDA w/ BBRY so I could fly to NYC and get an early look at BB10 before it was unveiled at BlackBerry World. But that was the flight where I almost died at the airport, so I never got on the plane and never executed the NDA. Lol. In general though, we will agree to embargoes that BlackBerry gives us for review units of phones, press releases, etc., but that's just in regards to that specific piece of content. Everybody on the web does that, and we always honor our embargoes when we get them.

D) In the past, we have removed things that we've already posted because BlackBerry went to our lawyers with vicious letters, where our legal team told us we'd better remove it (we're talking circa 2009/10 here, with things like Storm 2 device leaks, etc.). If BlackBerry were to start doing this again on things like OS leaks, etc., we'd again turn to our legal counsel. If they advised us to definitely stop doing something, odds are we'd have to listen. I don't really see this happening though (again, we didn't leak it... once it's out there it's out there - BBRY needs to stop the leaks at the source if they want to IMO, not on here).

Think that covers it...

Kevin
    Gearheadaddy and Superfly_FR like this.
    04-01-14 09:13 AM
    Well "conflict of interest" wouldn't be the applicable term. This site is not affiliated with BBRY.

Chen's comments were principally directed at leaks of hardware and/or details of hardware. If BBRY were to contact CB with an issue, the CB brass would properly evaluate BBRY's concern and decide on a course of action.

And remember, most of the so-called leaks are not really leaks. If any carrier has officially released an OS build, that's not a leak.
    Leak would be an OS build as yet unreleased and likely in testing currently or in very recent past. 10.3.0.140 is the best example of this currently.
    Perhaps conflict of interest is a bit strong, what I meant by this is its obviously in CB interests to have a good relationship with BB. Chances of interviews with Chen, exclusives etc. I'm not suggesting that CB would not release information they had in fear of upsetting BB, as was evident when Kevin covered the Typo Just if Chen was to prosecute someone for releasing something they shouldn't and that was being propagated via CB would that make CB accessory after the fact? I think Kevin has explained his position admirably. I haven't had chance to read through the link posted because I'm working in the middle of nowhere with next to no signal. In fact, the only thing I can actually get is access to the forum using my Crackberry app for Playbook. Everything else just times out

By the way, not making any big statement here. Noticed Chens comment on a channel and genuinely wondered how it would sit at CB, thanks for taking time to reply.
    04-01-14 04:19 PM