Hello fellow CrackBerry members!

You might noticed a recent update for the CB10 app. This was the first community made update! And, while it wasn't really a huge improvement over the previous version, I may assure you, that the new updates will come!

There is already several threads for feature requests and feedback, but we (devs) thought it would be nice to create an official all-in-one thread.

Thanks to khehl and his effort in this thread, there is already a nice list of features we all like to see:
    I have a few request for the app to our fellow devs that are helping to make the app better.

1. On the bottom bar where it said "New Threads" and "Participated". Can you move the Sub Forums from overflow to the bottom? It would be cool if there was an option to also merge all the subbed forums so I can look at it like a feed.

2. Automatic Cache Clear on Startup - it's nice that we finally got it but it would be better if we got it on startup.

3. The whole user panel so I can see my: Likes, Thanks, PMs

4. Headless notifications when someone replies to a topics/thread you made, Likes, Thanks, and PMs; with the options to get them instant or daily.

5. Ability to put Polls in thread posts

6. Pinch to zoom

7. Thread post count so it's easier to find your last post example kbz would be #7

8. Multi quote

9. Faster loading times (optimization)

10. Show profile info like Mod, Admins and post count

11. Subbed threads should have the same unread sorting as participated threads that's on the bottom bar
    Feel free to give your feedback, propose features and criticize. And as a devs, we will try to give you as much support as possible.
    After all, this is a community app, so we all have to participate to make it better.

P.S. Hopefully this thread will be pinned by mods.
    05-19-14 03:01 PM
    P.S. Hopefully this thread will be pinned by mods.
    Done.
    ksantor likes this.
    05-19-14 04:46 PM
    My feedback is:

1. Fixing the app so I can install it again after I had to go through heck to uninstall it. I cannot install it currently as if I do, it will not open. When I uninstall it to try again, I have to refresh App World just so it doesn't say that it couldn't uninstall it.

2. Unbreaking the settings so it doesn't take 10 seconds to load which caused me to attempt reinstall in the first place.

3. And not worrying about any other feature requests until these CRITICAL bugs are fixed in a SOON update.

Thanks.
    05-20-14 05:45 AM
    I like the list compiled in the OP. I think those changes would really make the app fantastic. In particular being able to see your user info such as likes and thanks, the number of posts and titles of individuals like moderator, pinch to zoom, poll option, multiple quote options and also the overall optimization to speed it up.

Posted via CB10
    05-20-14 06:09 AM
    Would headless and or hub integration be possible? Mainly for forum responses and stuff of that nature.

Posted via CB10
    05-20-14 06:22 AM
    In Participated and Subscribed threads, can the unread ones all show at the top instead of read and unread mixed? Possible even a Participated (unread) option?

Posted via CB10
    bob_tn and Carterbits like this.
    05-20-14 07:36 AM
    Forgot to add, can we users profiles? Specifically be able to link to their other posts and replies?

Posted via CB10
    05-20-14 07:38 AM
    I would still like to see it take you back to where you were when quoting or replying instead of taking you to the reply or post you just made.

It does that then you have to find where you were before it moved you to the last post in the thread if you want to continue reading.
    Gykesdollars likes this.
    05-20-14 07:40 AM
    My feedback is:

2. Unbreaking the settings so it doesn't take 10 seconds to load which caused me to attempt reinstall in the first place.

3. And not worrying about any other feature requests until these CRITICAL bugs are fixed in a SOON update.

Thanks.
    Settings page improvement is already in the works.

And yes, right now we are focusing on bugs, performance and stability. There is no point to spend much time implementing new features, while old ones aren't fixed.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    05-20-14 08:13 AM
    Please fix text margins on OS 10.3.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.296/442bars
    05-20-14 09:02 AM
    Thanks for you continued support of the CB10 app, i'd like to see the forums better integrated into the app (Especially PM's) - maybe that's what you can use hub integration for

Posted via CB10 C000DAC91
    05-20-14 09:38 AM
    Would love to see PMs come to the CB10 app
    slagman5 likes this.
    05-20-14 10:54 AM
    Another upvote for the list in the OP. Sounds exactly like the kind of thing we would want in a (10.3) native app.

For me the biggest 'bug' has always been the Participated list. It is sorted by the last reply I make, instead of the last reply overall.
    This means some active topics fall to the bottom if I happen not to reply for a while.

BlackBerry 10 signed.
    ksantor likes this.
    05-20-14 10:59 AM
    Another upvote for the list in the OP. Sounds exactly like the kind of thing we would want in a (10.3) native app.

For me the biggest 'bug' has always been the Participated list. It is sorted by the last reply I make, instead of the last reply overall.
    This means some active topics fall to the bottom if I happen not to reply for a while.

BlackBerry 10 signed.
    This is what I was trying to say as well. Other forum apps can also filter out read in the participated/subscribed posts. This functionality would be well received in CB10.

Sent from an ATM
    No trees were harmed during the making of this message
    05-20-14 12:05 PM
    1) In the Subscribed Threads link (in overflow menu) I'd like to see when the most recent post was, just as it is displayed in the Participated & UnRead posts links.

2) Put Subscribed Threads on the bottom bar, in place of UnRead.

3) Add Moderator tag to user profile so we can see who the mods are in each thread.

4) In Rene Ritchie's blog posts ... can his proprietary font sizes be stripped before CB10 displays them??

Thank you so much for helping to improve CB10! :-)

Posted with my Q10, SQN100-2, 10.2.1.2947/2274 Radio
    ksantor likes this.
    05-20-14 01:06 PM
    Agree with the op.

When voting in a blog fix the tiny font / look. Can barely see and select.

Ability to see picture when selected

Ability to block, like the website, so one never has to see their comments. There are quite a few folks who only have negative things to say, not balanced, just negative and I would like to not see their posts.

Other than the first one others can come later once the bugs and more important features are in place.

Thanks for all your support and hard work.

G

Posted via CB10
    05-20-14 02:10 PM
    Would headless and or hub integration be possible? Mainly for forum responses and stuff of that nature.

Posted via CB10
    I think almost everything is possible, but headless/hub features is not a 5 min (not even a 5h) task, so I doubt we will see it in the next update.
    05-20-14 03:34 PM
    OK, I'm going to post my list first, then read the prior comments.

The following pertain to FORUMS function ONLY:

1) Better matching of rendering to webpage

Emoticons
    Tables
    HTML/BBcode

Sometimes the CB10 app prints markup raw instead of rendering

Images

Some types of images don't display on the app

2) Dark theme is nice, but needs a more noticeable distinction between read/unread posts

3) Private Messages / PMs

4) Better search capability

The current search is lame and far far far too "fuzzy". Need to be able to
    narrow down by poster, title, date, forum section, etc.

5) A category to view "My threads" or "My posts" only

6) More complete profile data on posters, ie country if provided

7) "Collapsed" display of only (subscribed/participated) threads with unread posts

PITA to scroll through hundreds of threads that are completely read

Also: fix problem where CB10 app doesn't see certain subscribed threads

8) Ability to delete a post

9) Improved page navigation system

Often goes to next page when I don't want when it hits bottom of current page unexpectedly

Navigating to prior page typically requires two hands to hold down top while selecting
    desired page with other hand

10) Visible post numbers

11) Ability to copy URL of specific post, rather than just the whole thread (page number
    suffix along with anchor tags. And CB10 app needs to understand these and be
    be able to go directly to that post when passed that URL
    .)

(Or at LEAST the current page - PITA to send someone to the root page when the
    content you want them to read is on page 35)

12) Unify post signatures with website. I want one signature that is consistent no matter
    where I post from. I have no interest in advertising I am using the app, and I don't
    care if Mobile Nations thinks that's a good idea.

13) Allow users to see the unified/web signature on posts. I put info there I'd like people
    to see, and I would like it to be visible no matter how they view the post. (An option
    to hide signatures, or better - have them by default "collapsed" and expandable via
    click, would be useful, and would mitigate the need for a separate "CB10 signature".)

Currently, I'm constantly having to re-post links for people because my signature
    is invisible to them in the CB10 app.

14) Better way of adding attributes to text

Currently I'm doing it manually with BBcode tags and it's very time-consuming to do
    this with the virtual keyboard.

Making it easier to edit quoted text will (hopefully!) cut down on the posts that quote 10
    paragraphs of text to add 3 words underneath it. (Maybe CB mods need a large hammer,
    too. )

GENERAL CRACKBERRY FORUMS ISSUES / TANGENTIAL

A) General Crackberry issue: an autoreply to posts you report so you can track responses

Include link to post reported, date/time and text of report comments.

B) General Crackberry issue: notification when your posts have been moderated

This can be automated, would require no extra work on part of moderators

Include full ORIGINAL text of moderated post, date/time, name/contact info of moderator

ksantor likes this.
    05-20-14 10:01 PM
    I think almost everything is possible, but headless/hub features is not a 5 min (not even a 5h) task, so I doubt we will see it in the next update.
    FWIW: I have zero interest in adding headless operation to the app, for the following reasons:

1. I see no significant benefit.
    2. I do not need more things running in the background taking up resources and battery power.
    3. Headless support on BB10 is buggy and there are often conflicts between headless apps. I am extremely selective in what I allow to run headless, and something like BB10 where I actually have to interact with it to benefit from it, is very very low on my list of priorities. Notifications app or call blocker? Great. Not an app like this.
    4. Writing a headless app is complex, entails various compromises of functionality (ie extremely limited memory limits), and I would rather see the development time go to more significantly beneficial functionality.
    Carterbits and gokulesh like this.
    05-20-14 10:14 PM
    Thanks to khehl and his effort in this thread, there is already a nice list of features we all like to see

2. Automatic Cache Clear on Startup - it's nice that we finally got it but it would be better if we got it on startup.

Not sure what the benefit of this would be. Presumably the cache is there for a reason - ie to speed up launching/navigation/general usage - so why would you want to constantly clear it? It's only taking up ~30MB of space on my device, which is trivial IMHO. Clearing the cache means increasing your data usage too, every time you open the app.

3. The whole user panel so I can see my: Likes, Thanks, PMs
    I think that's fine, but the "whole" user panel? I think that's overkill and would clutter the bejeezus out of the app.

4. Headless notications when someone replies to a topics/thread you made, Likes, Thanks, and PMs; with the options to get them instant or daily.
    As I posted previously, I think headless operation is problematic. I would rather see people use the existing VBulletin feature of email notifications, which works fine, and perhaps enhance that if people really need to be notified immediately every time someone liked their post.

+1
    on all the following:

5. Ability to put Polls in thread posts

6. Pinch to zoom

7. Thread post count so it's easier to find your last post example kbz would be #7

8. Multi quote

9. Faster loading times (optimization)

10. Show profile info like Mod, Admins and post count

11. Subbed threads should have the same unread sorting as particated threads that's on the bottom bar
    ksantor likes this.
    05-20-14 10:25 PM
    I agree headless is overkill and I would not use it.

I agree auto clearing of cache is not beneficial. I have no prob with keeping some data and image cache if it speeds up the app and helps with navigation. It's the 400+ that was the problem. The 50 or less is people just being a... picky.

Posted via CB10
    05-20-14 11:06 PM
    I would suggest an automated cache scavenger that tries to keep the cache under control. Let the user pick the threshold, and default it to something like 50 MB or so? This might be on a QTimer and run once an hour... just a thought.

Mine was 700+MB the other day and it took several minutes to cleat.

Posted via CB10
    05-20-14 11:13 PM
    I would suggest an automated cache scavenger that tries to keep the cache under control. Let the user pick the threshold, and default it to something like 50 MB or so? This might be on a QTimer and run once an hour... just a thought.

Mine was 700+MB the other day and it took several minutes to cleat.

Mine may have been uncharacteristically small because I recently did an OS re-install along with all the apps.

Was not able to see the size of the cache beforehand because that feature didn't exist on the version of CB10 I was running then, and because BlackBerry hides app data from our sensitive immature eyes.
    05-21-14 03:38 AM
    About cache:
    There is no point to automatically clear ALL the cache every time the app is open.

1) Cache cleaner have to be smart and leave the cache for, let's say, past 24h.
    2) Cache related processes have to run in a separate thread to prevent blocking UI. This was the biggest issue for users with huge cache size.
    3) Cache cleaner have to be customizable.

Posted via CB10
    Omnitech, Carterbits and gokulesh like this.
    05-21-14 04:18 AM
    PM messaging! Please

Posted via CB10
    05-21-14 04:55 AM
177 123 ...