I just wanna throw my two cents in..... I've read all these post saying not to post ur pin.... I have to say I don't agree, I've had my pin posted for as long as a have had a CB account and I haven't had a bad overall experience. Yes I have been contacted by pervs once or twice and I have been pin by under age members. However for the pervs, BB created a delete button and for the few under age contacts I have there's never been any confusion b/c I never have naughty convo with anyone I don't know personally.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-25-08 01:18 AM
    ...just for the record, I can't stand the pin sharing/general chit chat threads. I know why we have them, but I just don't believe this is the place for it...

I'm just saying...
    08-25-08 06:38 AM

Wow - just read this thread...Apollo - sorry about your experience. I guess that's why I've taken down my pic and don't post my pin.

I'm constantly asked if that's me in my avatar...

But I can def relate - I've had pendejo once or twice and hit delete right after....
    08-25-08 07:22 AM
    I really feel everyone should exercise open-mindedness and refrain from saying things if they are not helpful.

Seriously, if you do not care... and you are not concerned about the topic being discussed, then let it go... and move on.
    Quoted for truth

Wow - just read this thread...Apollo - sorry about your experience...
    Remember, there's his story, her story and the truth.
    08-25-08 07:53 AM
    I am sorry to hear that this happen. However, they would be no way of actually stopping this behavior. Like others have said they would just lie about their age and they may even be worst. If they lie and then you do start to chat someone, and meet them who knows what could happen. I know plenty, I mean plenty of 15 and 16 year olds that if they were to tell me that they were 18 I would believe in a heartbeat.
    As far as Berries, for kids, I love that idea. I think they can be very useful, I have four kids, my 17 year old and my 13 daughters both carry very nice texting based cell phones. I have asked them if they would like Pearls, but they both thought that the berries were way to big, and uncool looking. They have email on their phones, they have calenders, they have the internet, Yahoo, and everythign else. This is soceity, this is what we have created. I am in the IT field, and it is going to get alot worst!!! Trust me.
    Overall the parents need to be in control of the kids, not society. I monitor what my kids do on line, they know that I run packet sniffers. So they know that I know everything that they do. I hate doing it, cause I do trust them, but I was a teenager once and I know how easy it is to stumble.
    Again, I am sorry that this happen, but the parents should be doing the disiplening here. Do you know how to contact them?
    08-25-08 08:10 AM
    I don't think crackberry does not need to enforce age disclaimer. This is a place for everybody that has a Blackberry to learn and teach others. Yes I had perv hit me up but thanks to some people on crackberry told me how to avoid that and I stuck around. I also think people bring attention to themselves by posting threads like if you wanna talk dirty pm me and etc.This is the world wide web stuff like this is going to happen.
    Oh by the way the same stuff can that happens with a Blackberry can happen with sidekicks,palm trios etc. And Pin is like aim.

Last edited by Msmari; 08-25-08 at 08:18 AM.
    08-25-08 08:13 AM
    I, like many posters on this thread, think that anyone should be able to post their PIN without reproach. It's unfortunate though, for those that do, that extra precaution must be taken being aware that anyone can misuse their PIN.

As far as thing being a CB issue, I'm not sure I can think of any way CB can regulate this without imposing severe restrictions to all other members who need not such restrictions.

Apollo, sorry about your luck with this girl. But I believe it's not up to CB.
    Last edited by johnnywoods; 10-21-09 at 07:02 AM.
    08-25-08 08:35 AM
    Yes I agree. I do not leave my PIN posted. I only give it users once I know their reputation and they are regular users here. Many ask but many dont get. It is also almost impossible to have age restrictions as people can just lie about their age.

BTW Pete... you almost had me on the floor LMAO!
    I agree with you. I dont share my PIN unless I know you or have seen you around the forum. Its like you have to have a certain amount of posts or something

But on the serious note it is really bcuz if you're some kind of lunatic you can still send me PIN messages even after I delete you from BBM and a new PIN is not easy to come by!
    08-25-08 08:36 AM
    Everyone calm down.... we're all friends here and if there really was some pervert out there trying to cruise for pedophilia, I think the last place he'd be is CB. However, I do think there were some good points. apollo creed, maybe remove your PIN from your profile and use "private message" tool for sharing info. don't make yourself a target.

and the main point: how is this world so far gone that a 14 yr old would even consider exchanging sexualy explicit conversation with ANYONE? - forget the intended audience's age. just in general, I mean 14!!! shouldn't they just enjoy being young and save all of the other stuff til they're old enough to enjoy a relationship fully (spiritually, intellectually, socially, etc). how far down has society sunk that parents haven't instilled abetter moral compass into their kids? it's not apollo's job to teach this kid that what she did was WRONG. notice: WHAT SHE DID. not what Apollo did, so back off fonebkrk
    08-25-08 05:42 PM
    Whether somebody brings it on or not, that is not a good attitude to bring about it. We get too many people asking us to cancel their accounts because they get abused in the forums. Sometimes we can rewrap them and save them but sometimes we fail. People should always be treated with respect.
    And the flip side of that is just because someone doesn't say what you want to hear or doesn't say it in the way you want to hear it, it doesn't make them "mean" or disrespectful.
    08-28-08 09:21 AM
    And the flip side of that is just because someone doesn't say what you want to hear or doesn't say it in the way you want to hear it, it doesn't make them "mean" or disrespectful.
    You don't know the whole story, so we will just leave it at that.
    08-28-08 09:26 AM
    Everyone calm down.... we're all friends here and if there really was some pervert out there trying to cruise for pedophilia, I think the last place he'd be is CB. However, I do think there were some good points. apollo creed, maybe remove your PIN from your profile and use "private message" tool for sharing info. don't make yourself a target.
    Man, there are crazy people everywhere... I believe with what you said tho 100%. The only way we can protect ourselves is by not having our PINs available to these kind of people. Nothing wrong with having your picture as avatar, see mine?
    08-28-08 09:43 AM
    I just read through the whole thread. Crazy! Glad you brought it up Apollo, too bad for that youngster. She obviously is missing not only parental supervision, but the type of upbringing that would give her the confidence and self esteem she needs to keep her from seeking out a relationship with an adult stranger.

I think she is trying to replace something she is not getting at home and is replacing it with something unhealthy and dangerous. Thank God it was you Apollo and not one of the many pervs so prevalent on the web. Unfortunately she will move on to someone else, and I am afraid for her future. I know the thread is about a bigger issue, but I can't get the thought of this troubled young girl out of my head because I am so worried for her and where she will turn next.

Fourteen is a child. As a father of a fourteen year old boy and a twelve year old girl, there is no way I can accept that they are responsible for their own actions. They are not mature enough to always make the right decisions. That's where I come in, it is my responsibility to guide them and help them learn how to make good decisions.

My kids do have cell phones (not berries) and computer privileges, but under my supervision. These privileges are grade and behavior dependent. I monitor where they go on the net and who they are calling. It is my job as a parent to do this and to keep them safe. I am afraid that girl does not have this kind of love in her life and I worry for her.
    My 0.02

08-29-08 11:05 AM
88 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD