Marketing is not advertising. Marketing is not promotion. Marketing is not Brand recognition. Marketing is not incentives. Marketing is not product definition. Marketing is not P.R. Marketing is not cheering users. Marketing is not social media. Marketing is not product launch. Marketing is not rational cost communication. Marketing is not ...

Marketing is all the above (and more).

VVV THIS IS (brilliant) MARKETING
    Marketing ?-capture.png

Don't stop at the "details", watch the whole picture ! #whatAshift

Edit: there was some weird interpretations and nitpicking initially, I believe it is my bad.
    Thanks to leafs123, in another thread, I believe most will now understand and test their screen colorimetry :

1/ This is realted to the apple event(s) [can you find the apple store ?)
    2/ BlackBerry/BBM Logo, one of the most recognized brand (logo) in the world is displayed among a iPhone logo, separated by a friendly yellow-orange cartoon-like avatar. Some very advanced BBM users reported this might be a "hug smiley" (not sure what that means but it appears to be friendly)

Finally doing some smart marketing? In London, UK btw.
    Attachment 203736
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 09-24-13 at 08:05 AM.
    imz, anon(3896606), jxnb and 2 others like this.
    09-20-13 04:56 AM
    Yep love that shot!

Posted via CB10
    09-20-13 05:02 AM
    That's not an Android robot, that's a green smiley face.

That is so amateurish - whoever made that couldn't even be bothered to do an image search.

That can't be the work of Blackberry's marketing department, at least their art work is professional. This must be the work of some fan.
    09-20-13 06:04 AM

That is so amateurish - whoever made that couldn't even be bothered to do an image search.

That can't be the work of Blackberry's marketing department, at least their art work is professional. This must be the work of some fan.
    I'm confused, what are you talking about?
    h20work likes this.
    09-20-13 06:08 AM

Is there something you don't understand in " BBM hugs iPhone" ????
    Man, oh man ...
    h20work likes this.
    09-20-13 06:09 AM
    Man, oh man ...
    Is that a hugging smiley? It looks like a smiley representing someone laughing and covering the laugh with their hands. Smileys are also yellow. Green color implies they were trying to make it look like the robot.

This is what a hug looks like:

09-20-13 06:18 AM
    I'm confused, what are you talking about?
    Can't you see the picture that Superfly_FR posted? Look at the symbols.
    09-20-13 06:24 AM
    Is that a hugging smiley? It looks like a smiley representing someone laughing and covering the laugh with their hands. Smileys are also yellow. Green color implies they were trying to make it look like the robot.
    Ever used BBM ????
    Now for the color; random night picture + screen capture + CB compression ... is that hard to integrate ?
    Oh man ... your bad faith is reaching unknown levels.

P.S (edit): And I'm really glad BBM hug is not anyhow similar to those childish drawings you dare to provide as "examples".
    Attached Thumbnails Marketing ?-img_00001030.png  
    09-20-13 06:42 AM
    Ever used BBM ????
    Now for the color; random night picture + screen capture + CB compression ... is that hard to integrate ?
    Again, that's not the hug symbol. That's not even the same smiley as in your OP. Maybe you and some people use it that way, but it is not the universally recognized hug smiley. A good marketer would pick a symbol that ensures there is no ambiguity. Either way, amateurish.

And your explanation on how yellow appears green is hard to swallow. Compression doesn't do that. Night shots alter the hue but not the actual color.

Do you think this was done by Blackberry or by a fan?
    mikeo007 likes this.
    09-20-13 06:49 AM
    I bet you, to the average Joe, all they see is the word iPhone with a smiley face, and are wondering what the **** is that first graphic... Great advertising marketing for Apple, not BlackBerry.
    kbz1960, m1a1mg, helio9965 and 1 others like this.
    09-20-13 06:50 AM
    Again, that's not the hug symbol. That's not even the same smiley as in your OP. Maybe you and some people use it that way, but it is not the universally recognized hug smiley. A good marketer would pick a symbol that ensures there is no ambiguity. Either way, amateurish.

And your explanation on how yellow appears green is hard to swallow. Compression doesn't do that. Night shots alter the hue but not the actual color.

Do you think this was done by Blackberry or by a fan?
    "Random night picture" of a projected image over a building ...
    "Not the same symbol" ? Are you kidding ?
    BTW: Are you sure your screen calibration is accurate ? I can detect some green in the smiley, but it's obviously yellow dominant.

oh my ... Am I answering this, really ???
    09-20-13 07:10 AM
    Man, oh man ...
    I also immediately thought that was supposed to be an android.....or Hulk Pac Man.

Of course, that could be because as people aware of the plan, we assume android and ios are being referenced together.....man, the android one will look weird with the green smiley face and then a green android.....LOL. Maybe they'll make the android yellow.

In any case, as GoJaysGo points out, to almot anyone that doesn't already know about bbm going cross-platform, that graphic will be largely meaningless and undecipherable - and it's not compelling enough to make anyone look into it.

For goodness sakes that's awful....it does seem about par for Boulben.....

You could just put up a plain blank script saying

"Blackberry unleashes Messenger for Android and iPhone.
    Communicate with EVERYONE!
    Download now, no charge, courtesy of Blackberry."

....and it would get more sales than this.
    m1a1mg likes this.
    09-20-13 07:11 AM
    Ever used BBM ????

P.S (edit): And I'm really glad BBM hug is not anyhow similar to those childish drawings you dare to provide as "examples".
    What I dared to provide as examples? Those are Google image search results. Those images represent what the global community associates with the words "hug" and "smiley"

Now you are criticizing childish drawings. Yet in the OP, the image of which you took as "BB hugs iPhone" - that wasn't childish?
    Last edited by notfanboy; 09-20-13 at 07:24 AM.
    09-20-13 07:13 AM
    What I dared to provide as examples? Those are Google image search results. Those images represent what the global community associates with the words "hug" and "smiley"
    Try again with "BBM Hug"
    I'm truly fascinated ...
    09-20-13 07:37 AM
    Try again with "BBM Hug"
    I'm truly fascinated ...
    You know what, I was wrong when I said that wasn't a hug smiley. I scrolled some more on my google image search results and the OP hug symbol appeared in page 2 of the results.

And if I search with BBM Hug, then that is the dominant symbol. However that is only dominant with BBM or ex-BBM users, and not the universally accepted hug symbol. Considering that the presumed target is Apple users, a good marketer should not choose a BBM symbol and instead go with the conventional symbol.

What fascinates me is that you think the smiley is yellow and not green. You don't see how the shade of green resembles the Android robot? Truly?
    09-20-13 07:51 AM
    Once again, BB fans can't understand why the rest of the world doesn't get what they're talking about. If you want to market to the masses, you must use terms identifiable by the masses. Not BBM icons.

Just like the Super Bowl commercial, no one in the masses had a clue what it meant.
    mikeo007 and kbz1960 like this.
    09-20-13 08:03 AM
    You know what, I was wrong when I said that wasn't a hug smiley. I scrolled some more on my google image search results and the OP hug symbol appeared in page 2 of the results.

And if I search with BBM Hug, then that is the dominant symbol. However that is only dominant with BBM or ex-BBM users, and not the universally accepted hug symbol. Considering that the presumed target is Apple users, a good marketer should not choose a BBM symbol and instead go with the conventional symbol.

What fascinates me is that you think the smiley is yellow and not green. You don't see how the shade of green resembles the Android robot? Truly?
    So the problem is BBM hug symbol being "wrong" ?
    Using it (even if Joes believes it's only a ) makes sense ... in a BBM promotion IMHO.
    (@m1a1mg) I'd bet most of the "masses" will get the message quite easilly.

Can't take that nipticking sentiment away, lately.

P.S: and really, as stated, it's yellow (yet with a slight green glow) on my screen. What device/screen do you currently use ?
    Attached Thumbnails Marketing ?-capture.jpg  
    09-20-13 08:19 AM
    this is the most ridiculous thread ever. how people manage to turn something so positive into so negative, i just dont get.

the 'smiley' is clearly yellow. check your monitor, it clearly sucks.
    h20work, Toodeurep and zensen like this.
    09-20-13 09:43 AM
    Superfly - I think these guys are just trolling. Pointless argument that you will never win.
    09-20-13 09:44 AM

http://www.imgur.com/nWbtfKE.jpeg
    What you smoking and can I get some?

Posted via CB10 from Scotland while pretty Stoned using Z10STL100-2/10.2.0.1725
    09-20-13 09:53 AM
    (@m1a1mg) I'd bet most of the "masses" will get the message quite easilly.
    Superfly, I know you are the number #1 cheer leader for BBRY, but really?

If a non-BBM user looks at that, they see:

Some symbol I don't recognize
    A smiley face with hands
    iPhone.

So, I display that on the day that iPhone 5S comes out. What does it mean? Even if I accept the hug emoticon, assuming that people recognize the BBM symbol is just more poor marketing.

Once again, preaching to the BlackBerry choir isn't helping. BBRY needs the masses. Not more of the. "Oh gosh, everyone knows what that means".

And go ahead, call me a troll. Maybe if some people started listening to the trolls, BBRY would be doing better instead of the incessant fanboism that leads to management making the same damn mistakes over, and over, again.
    richardat likes this.
    09-20-13 10:02 AM
    I'm not going to get into the hug thing, other than to say that back in my day, this was a hug: ((( ))).

The smiley definitely looks green to me, and my first impression was that this was some rendering of Bugdroid, or whatever they're calling the Android mascot now.

First impressions count in marketing. C minus.
    richardat likes this.
    09-20-13 10:02 AM
    Guys, just chill out.
    Just imagine what this 2 symbols (BBM + iPhone) aligned together on the same panel (whatever you call this projection) means.
    It means : First time ever.

Thought the #whatAshift tag was enough to make it obvious.
    Well, not. ... my bad then.

BTW: I'll add another picture (UK) to OP, maybe you'll notice the building this time ?
    09-20-13 10:41 AM
    Here are some better pictures.

bhttp://n4bb.com/blackberry-flashes-multi-platform-bbm-streets-london/
    09-20-13 11:15 AM
    looks yellow to me trolls!!!
    09-20-13 11:19 AM
45 12