So theres a lot of talk about ecosystems (personally I don't like the term).

I was thinking that although RIMs 'ecosystem' is said to be lacking in comparison to the other platforms I like their approach. They seem really focused on partners and more of an open ecosystem approach. I think this is good for several reasons.

- it gives users more options for different services (ex. zinino and soon pixel mag or amazon and 7 digital on phones)
    - creating competition can help reduce user costs
    - closed platforms can mean closed/restricted content
    - competition can fuel innovation since companies want and need to differentiate themselves
    - content portability

The last one actually leads me to a question. I have a 20 dollar gift certificate for iTunes. Is there anyone I can use it and then get the content on to my playbook or even my PC and use it easily on a non-itunes program? If the answer is no that makes closed ecosystems seem even more like a prison. Once I know though it'll help me decide what I should get.
    05-02-12 01:13 AM
    As long as you buy non-DRM protected music, you can sync it onto a PlayBook, PC, or any other type of device.
    05-02-12 01:17 AM
    I guess I won't be lazy and I'll search for if iTunes is DRM and then on how to get it to my PB.

No opinion?
    05-02-12 01:27 AM
    iTunes music isn't copyrighted to my understanding. If it is, then I'm still able to put music on my Windows Phone AND Android devices
    05-02-12 02:13 AM
    I guess I won't be lazy and I'll search for if iTunes is DRM and then on how to get it to my PB.
    Music purchased at the iTunes store no longer (and hasn't for quite some time) has DRM. BB Desktop Software will sync your iTunes music to your BB device. (But I think you already know this). iTunes music is in ACC format (higher quality than MP3), but it can be converted (iTunes can even do it for you) to mp3 if your player or software of choice can't handle it.

I don't know about movies on BB devices, nor do I know anything about iTunes movie purchases.

No opinion?
    The half baked PDF reader apps you listed aren't in the same league with Newsstand.

Competition is good, as long as the lower prices doesn't lead to a race to the bottom on quality.

Walled garden (as some like to call Apples ecosystem) does not equal prison.
    Last edited by Mr.Willie; 05-02-12 at 03:08 AM.
    05-02-12 02:55 AM
    Think about it, there is no real "ecosystem" per se.. view it more of a preferred vendor recommendation... an eco-system invokes images of isolation and such is certainly not the case.

You can buy your music at Amazon and put it into iTunes, you can buy at the iTunes store and play it on WMP, you can put music from any player onto any device and similarly with video, books etc..

Then one area where the platforms sharply differentiate is in connectivity.. I believe a future battleground will be here as expectations in this area increase, and I feel Apple will ultimately be left out in the cold unless it adopts DLNA.

Think about it..there is Apple, and then the rest of the hitech & consumer world.. I own media products by Samsung (Galaxy Note), RIM (BB Bold 9930), Sony (HDTV) Gateway Netbook, HP Desktop and a Dell Desktop..they will all talk, communicate and in some cases control the media of each other wirelessly... but then I also have an iPad.

So, (not that you would!) while I browse wirelessly the pictures from the Galaxy Note on the TV using the TV remote, i can use the Galaxy Note as a remote control to simultaneously (wirelessly) play WMP on the desktop sourcing music from the laptop... with the iPad i cannot play anything, see anything, or use anything.

So, while 18 months ago i used to be concerned over integrating the iPad into my home network now i simply dont care... I have converted all the iTunes playlists into WMP (its easy) and the iPad is no longer a media device..

So, if Apple behaves like the boy who takes his basketball home, they should not be surprised when everyone else plays baseball.
    05-02-12 07:37 AM
    The last one actually leads me to a question. I have a 20 dollar gift certificate for iTunes. Is there anyone I can use it and then get the content on to my playbook or even my PC and use it easily on a non-itunes program? If the answer is no that makes closed ecosystems seem even more like a prison. Once I know though it'll help me decide what I should get.
    As others have posted, music is no longer DRM'd, thanks to content provider agreements. Movies and TV shows are still DRM'd, and will be until those providers agree otherwise. As far as I know, there's no legal way to purchase this content digitally without DRM, making the choice here less "closed vs open" and more "content vs no content." Based on what we've seen so far, the choice has been for content, which in the case of movies or TV shows (or those handy digital copies of movies) has been Apple or Microsoft, though we'll ave to see how far Google can go.

So, if Apple behaves like the boy who takes his basketball home, they should not be surprised when everyone else plays baseball.
    Except that's not what's happening. Sales are trending up, not down.
    05-02-12 07:46 AM
    snip...Then one area where the platforms sharply differentiate is in connectivity.. I believe a future battleground will be here as expectations in this area increase, and I feel Apple will ultimately be left out in the cold unless it adopts DLNA.
    No need for you to worry about Apple and DLNA. Do a google search on how many total iOS devices they sold YTD. The number or devices sold would argue against any concern of DLNA. DLNA matters to few people. It's not a selling point to the public. Test this yourself. Stop any number of persons on the street with an iOS device and ask them what DLNA is. Don't confuse DLNA, which is a geek thing, with what the average user expects in a mobile device.
    Think about it..there is Apple, and then the rest of the hitech & consumer world.. I own media products by Samsung (Galaxy Note), RIM (BB Bold 9930), Sony (HDTV) Gateway Netbook, HP Desktop and a Dell Desktop..they will all talk, communicate and in some cases control the media of each other wirelessly... but then I also have an iPad.

So, (not that you would!) while I browse wirelessly the pictures from the Galaxy Note on the TV using the TV remote, i can use the Galaxy Note as a remote control to simultaneously (wirelessly) play WMP on the desktop sourcing music from the laptop... with the iPad i cannot play anything, see anything, or use anything.

So, while 18 months ago i used to be concerned over integrating the iPad into my home network ....

My computers, my iOS devices, my Xbox, my PS3 and even my Google TV can all see these media servers.

I can control my HTPCs using Logictechs Touchmouse app. I can control my Sony GTV using the app Google provided for iOS.

When there is a will, there is usually a way.
    Last edited by sinsin07; 05-02-12 at 11:33 AM.
    05-02-12 11:23 AM
    @mystic205 love the basketball baseball comment.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    05-02-12 11:33 AM
    The basketball comment would be more clever if the scenarios he based it on were even remotely accurate.
    05-02-12 11:37 AM
    Music purchased at the iTunes store no longer (and hasn't for quite some time) has DRM. BB Desktop Software will sync your iTunes music to your BB device. (But I think you already know this). iTunes music is in ACC format (higher quality than MP3), .
    speculated, i wouldnt say aac is better than mp3... of course apple wants you to think it is better because they made it, laughable!!!
    as of now, the only music that would be drm protected is music that is being "rented", or used from a subscription service. ie zune music pass, spotify, or rhapsody. i purchase most of my mp3's frmo amazon music store, as they are usually cheaper, and already in mp3 format.
    Last edited by DizzyMaker; 05-02-12 at 11:45 AM.
    05-02-12 11:41 AM
    There is an app on playbook were you can search amd dowload any song for your devices and dont have to pay a penny. itunes can go suck it!
    05-02-12 11:41 AM
    speculated, i wouldnt say aac is better than mp3... of course apple wants you to think it is better because they made it, laughable!!!
    as of now, the only music that would be drm protected is music that is being "rented", or used from a subscription service. ie zune music pass, spotify, or rhapsody. i purchase most of my mp3's frmo amazon music store, as they are usually cheaper, and already in mp3 format.
    Actually it was developed in a joint effort between Bell Labs, Sony, Nokia, and a couple of other companies, none of which was Apple. It supports more sample frequencies (8-96 khz vs. 16-48 khz), 48 channels vs two for MPEG-1 and 5.1 for MPEG-2... The list goes on and on. A simple Bing search search should fill you in.

It's not speculated, ACC does sound better, it was developed to replace the aging MP3 standard, and its supported by RIM. It also has nothing to do with Apple, except ACC is what they sell in the iTunes store, and for a very good reason.

That being said, I too purchase most of my music from Amazon, except it's on disc. I do my own ripping/encoding.

There is an app on playbook were you can search amd dowload any song for your devices and dont have to pay a penny. itunes can go suck it!
    Legally ?
    Last edited by Mr.Willie; 05-02-12 at 12:30 PM.
    05-02-12 12:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD