i was thinking of either getting the storm 2 or a torch to replace my bold 9700.
    what does everyone think
    12-31-11 07:46 AM
    I'm not really a fan of the Torch, but there is absolutely NOTHING positive that I can say about the storm series. So if those are your choices, it has to be the Torch. Run as fast and as far away as you can from anything named "storm".
    Philip600rr likes this.
    12-31-11 08:03 AM
    I love my storm 2, I don't do keyboards with tiny keys so this was perfect. I used both AT&T and T-Mobile with BIS on both and Orange in the UK none have been a problem!

Just ordered a Curve 9380 in the UK to replace it as I have no signal at home from any network & the UMA (wifi cell service) available from Orange with that will make it worth the change for me. I know they are sold in Canada but not sure on US yet.

Kate
    12-31-11 09:20 AM
    I would go for the Torch.
    I love my Storm2 except for two things:
    1. Initially was OK with the clicking screen now it's chore to type.
    2. The crazy cursor dives me nuts. It has a mind of its own.

Good Luck
    12-31-11 01:29 PM
    i was thinking of either getting the storm 2 or a torch to replace my bold 9700.
    what does everyone think
    As much as I loved the s2 I can't recommend it anymore. Why not an os7 device?
    01-04-12 06:59 AM
    Hasn't the Storm2 been EOL'd by most carriers? That in and of itself would lead me to recommend against purchasing it at this point.
    01-05-12 11:24 AM
    The Storm 2 is 95% what the first storm should have been. (First storms wer not good on release and only passable when the Storm 2 came out) It has been a very reliable and stable device for myself. They are a BB5 OS device, and from a software perspective could have been improved, mostly regarding memory managment. Hard ware was OK at their debute, and now much worse than most entry level phones. No self respecting vendor sells them anymore, and for this reason you probiblly should not get one.

Having the option to disable the click screen keyboard would have been nice for some users. But IMO those people just dont know how to type on a touch screen. If the "delay" of having to click the screen by pressing it in 1/64'' is slowing you down you must have some pretty weak/slow thumbs. I hope that some day either RIM or another OEM will come out with a click screen again for a number of UI adavantiges (confimation while on a bumpy ride, extra options (think right/left mouse buttons), most of which RIM did not take advantige of.

The first Torch a BB6 OS is all right. No click screen, but sliding keyboard and track pad to compliment touch. Hardware was again ok at release, but is marginal now. Memory managment still an issue, as you can't have apps loaded on/from memory card. Some vendors still sell them, but there are "better" options.

New torches (slider and touch only devises) are BB7 OS devices. These (along with the new bold) are the new blackberry devises. From a hard ware perspective they are middle of the road. Bold has the best keybord but some current OS issues (i expect they will be patched out soon). The touch only torch is reminicint of the storms minus the click, but adding the track pad, which is one thing iphones and most android uses wish they had. tourch slide is just improved versoin of the orginal devise as it has the exact same form factor. Most vendors carry them and they can be had for a reasonable price if your willing to lock in for a couple of years.

So in the end it al comes down to choice BB6 devises can be had for less than 100$ and no/minimal contracts, but they are aged, athough still capable. BB7 devises are most current and will continue to have RIMs support for at least the next year, but they cost more unless you lock into a contract.

Hope this helps (Oh and don't listen to the storm 2 haters, it was a good devise back in the day)
    bmw328i likes this.
    01-06-12 04:38 PM
    The S2 is dated now. I still have one and still like it very much but I've had it for a while and tailored it to my liking with apps etc. If I broke it today, I wouldn't get another one, not at this point. There are just too many newer devices out there.

So while I'm still happy with my S2, its for that very reason... its my S2.

And all the S2 haters probably had no clue how to use to its full capacity.
    01-07-12 12:17 AM
    Why not Curve Touch? It's a bit cheaper device, and has all of the grace and goodness of the 9360 but with a bigger batterry.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-07-12 12:48 AM
    I had one for about 1 year, not a bad phone but far from great.

I have a 9850 now, I never looked back. Don't frustrate yourself with a storm 2 phone it is outdated.
    01-07-12 07:46 PM
    Hasn't the Storm2 been EOL'd by most carriers? That in and of itself would lead me to recommend against purchasing it at this point.
    It has by Verizon. It's not on the website anymore.

I liked my S2 when I first got it. It worked great and didn't have any problems with rebooting. About 5 months after I got it, it started to lag and freeze. I'd type a letter, wait anywhere from 10 to 30 seconds for it to unfreeze and type another. It'd take me 5 minutes to type out a 6 word text. Made me want to slam my phone at a wall. After the apps started to freeze my phone, I made the switch to the iPhone4s. I had to pay full price off contract for it, but it was worth it to get me away from my S2. I still have it and still use it, but not as much as my iPhone.
    01-09-12 02:15 PM
    I hope the OP didn't go with the S2. This phone is such a POS I go out and do public awareness speeches about it all the time. The fact I still have it is solely because I have a ipad2 to do all the heavy lifting and the S2 just acts as a modem for it. Any time I have to do interaction with it even the simplest tasks like MMS, it reminds me of how much I hate this thing and wish bad things on RIM. You reading this RIM? Look who's laughing now? Your products are a joke and you are just about done as a company, I wouldn't give your crap products another chance even if you gave me money. Well, i would take it if it was a million bucks, but nothing less. I hope this helps the OP in deciding what phone he wants to get. Steer away from The crapberry or don't say I didn't tell you so.
    01-16-12 08:59 AM
    The S2 is dated now.
    The S2 was dated a year BEFORE its release.
    01-16-12 09:03 AM
    I generally have not much complains about my S2, but certainly the Torch is a better phone, specially if is a BB7 one
    01-16-12 04:35 PM
    in my opinion,the storm 2 is the greatest phone rim has made to date. some people disagree but the have not taken a real look at this device,It is a phone before its time and is still hanging around because there are people who feel the same way i do.
    kthhrrsn, bev11, Omahahaha and 2 others like this.
    01-18-12 08:36 AM
    in my opinion,the storm 2 is the greatest phone rim has made to date. some people disagree but the have not taken a real look at this device,It is a phone before its time and is still hanging around because there are people who feel the same way i do.
    Agree 100% and after trying the crappy 9860 I agree even more.
    01-18-12 08:57 PM
    WOW...while I agree the Storm 2 was a great device it is nowhere near as good as the os7 devices. I had an S2 for 18 months and thought I had found a very unique device that I loved very much...but it is just old technology.

Now if they would have that device with os7 specs I would more than likely own one.
    01-19-12 01:04 PM
    Agree 100% and after trying the crappy 9860 I agree even more.
    I liked the s2, for what it was, but didn't get the right TLC

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    01-19-12 01:09 PM
    I had the Storm 2 (and the original Storm before that) ever since it came out, and I LOVED it!! It lasted an incredibly long time for me. I'm a very heavy user. I finally upgraded to a Bold 9930 a couple of days before Christmas (OS 7.1) because I dropped it outside (for the one millionth time) and this time the screen broke.

The thing I really like about the Storm 2 is the fact that without a physical keyboard, there's a heck of a lot of screen real estate. That was important for me when reading email, surfing the net, and quite importantly, watching movies. Yes...I would frequently load up my 16GB card with movies for International flights. It had double the storage of the 1st Storm, so I had all of the apps that I needed. Great BB! Those who slam the Storm name didn't use them. I will say that the 1st Storm was a bit buggy, which was surprising for RIM. I had owned several BB's before my original Storm and never had an OS issue. They just worked.

Storm 2 was far better. And I kept mine until it died (or...until I killed it!!). I went right from OS 5.XX to 7.1 on my Bold. I will say, I do now really, really LOVE the Bold!! IT NOW HAS HOTSPOT!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd pick the Storm 2 if you're into an older BB model.
    KMB4 likes this.
    01-21-12 06:36 PM
    I agree completely! Those idiots out there running around with their iPhones & Androids couldn't compete with what I could do with my Storm2!! I traded in my Storm for the Storm 2 about a month after it was released. I finally killed it last month...just before Christmas! So, my Christmas gift to myself was an upgrade to the Bold 9930. I will say that I've fallen in love all over again...

Since I have a couple of tablets & don't rely on my BB to watch movies on planes anymore, I decided to go back to the physical keyboard. But I'm THRILLED with the fact that the Bold ALSO has a touch screen! I've gotten so used to the touch screen over the years that I wasn't sure I could live without one...and now I don't!! I really do use the keyboard, trackpad, & touch screen! It's nice to have options...
    01-21-12 06:40 PM
    I've had my s2 going on two years. I have an iPad 2 and an upgrade but I can't see upgrading to an iPhone. Waiting for bb10.
    02-05-12 02:30 PM
    I've had my s2 going on two years. I have an iPad 2 and an upgrade but I can't see upgrading to an iPhone. Waiting for bb10.
    I just did it.

Have an iPad2 (Christmas present for my wife)
    My VZ contract was up on my Storm2.
    So I went with the iPhone 4S

Using iPhone native app for Syncing my Calendar, Contacts and mail with Google.

Using iPhone native Reminders for Tasks (syncs to iCoud with I can access iCloud on my XP laptop
    Using iPhone native Notes for MemoPad and it also sync to iCloud.

But most of my memopad items I moved to Google Docs.

All of these are syncing wirelessly with not action taken on my part.

My Storm2 served me well but I couldn't wait and I just need a change. The iPad opened myself to the Apple world.

Good Luck
    02-05-12 07:17 PM
    what does everyone think
    stay as far from the storm series as you can! I broke mine into a thousand peaces and mailed it to RIM! It never worked properly! Always had problems with all 5 replacements! Its the worse phone to have!
    filmgirl likes this.
    02-07-12 12:23 AM
    Ha! Just bought a Droid 3 from one of my guys at work for 100 bucks. Verizon gets no new contract from me, and I finally get to say goodbye to this POS Blackberry. Rooted and wifi hotspot activated and surfing the Internet typing this post out on the iPad 2. So much win. Still haven't decided what I want to do with the 9550 but no matter what, it will involve the phone ending up in a million pieces recorded on video and uploaded to YouTube. Heck, I'll probably be using the HD camera on this Droid3 to record and upload the death of the BB. If only it is that easy to kill RIM...
    02-10-12 06:58 AM
    Wow, so many haters on this forum. The Storm 2 is certainly not the best Blackberry out there, but if half the time you took to write this post was invested on finding a solution on internet, it would have avoided you a lot of trouble and anger.

I have a Storm 2 since 2009, and even if I had some problems with it, I still like what it can do. I think SurePress was a good idea for it's confirmation function, but wasn't used at it's full potential. A big screen back then a a big plus to watch movies and surf internet, and still is, but you have choice today. OS 5 is a bit laggy at times on this platform, but it's got at least all the new generations apps.

When it was becoming too laggy to type due to memory leak, I would soft reset, and once a year, hard reset. Was good as new after that for a couple of months, no lag at all. Rest of the time I use MemoryBooster to speed up a bit. All these steps are certainly not user-friendly, and most people won't bother, but at least I can still enjoy my phone without paying for another one.

Keep in mind that these problems are mostly about the Storm, and should not be generalised to all Blackberries, as some here seems to do. I would not suggest you a Storm, it's a bit out of date, but all Torches and the Curve 9380 are equivalent for the big screen touch experience.
    02-10-12 01:16 PM
56 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD