I mean really. How can this be? I can't even listen to a web video without swiping my screen every five minutes. While the native email and other vital missing pieces might be explainable based on the need for further development, the lack of an always on or at least flexible timeout (like in hours) is really pure incompetence IMHO. How can we be high on the PB when this obvious flaw that really compromises the PB experience has not been fixed? Is there some reason why it cant be, if so tell us...I'll return my PB right now.
    05-07-11 12:40 PM
    I'd really like to know why the plugged in timeouts are the same as battery. If it's plugged in, there should be an option for NO timeout so you can use it as a live display of some type. I'm sure there are people that would like to have it fall into a picture slideshow while it's on the dock...

That being said, yes, it sorely needs options for 10, 15, and 20 minute timeouts at the least. I'm guessing it was all the worries over battery life that prompted the low values here. And even as it is, standby does not seem to be 100% functional.
    05-07-11 12:56 PM
    I mean really. How can this be? I can't even listen to a web video without swiping my screen every five minutes. While the native email and other vital missing pieces might be explainable based on the need for further development, the lack of an always on or at least flexible timeout (like in hours) is really pure incompetence IMHO. How can we be high on the PB when this obvious flaw that really compromises the PB experience has not been fixed? Is there some reason why it cant be, if so tell us...I'll return my PB right now.
    Excellent point. I agree. I think those times are in place to maximize battery life and live up to the mark they set themselves to meet with when comparing to the iPad battery.
    05-07-11 12:56 PM
    It's been the most annoying bug on the playbook. It never goes into sleep mode and always has to be on when charging. Even if I turn it off right away when I plug it into charge it boots up. Hopefully this will be rectified on the next os update.
    05-07-11 12:58 PM
    The last time I watched an Amazon video, it never went into standby while the movie was playing. Maybe there are some functions that keep it awake. That being said, standby is not properly functioning, I was told by a tech it will be improved in future update, he didn't know details however.
    05-07-11 01:28 PM
    I was listening to the CB podcast last night - and even though the PB went into standby (where I have to swipe to wake it) the audio thru the browser kept playing.
    05-07-11 01:38 PM
    Maybe my PB is screwed up because it seems to do just fine playing media for longer than 5 mins without swiping. I listened to the crackberry podcast last night and even though it was in stand by mode the audio continued to play and when i watch a movie the screen always stays on.

Maybe I'm not understanding the problem people are having? Or i just don't have the problem. But downloaded movies in the video player, youtube videos, hulu, comcast on demand, music player, pod cast app and streaming audio from the browser all work for longer than 5 mins without me touching my screen. They all work on my pb screen and while going out the hdmi.
    05-07-11 01:39 PM
    Tried to listen to hockey game last night and it went dead every five minutes.

I also can't back up !!!! {Getting the famous error message after 99.5%}

or use Twitter fully.

Device has lots of potential, but feel like an ***** for adopting out of the gate. My $100 phone doesn't time out on mere streams, why should my $700 (not including case, cables, etc.) device crap out every five minutes?

What ***** didn't provide a switch for this?
    05-07-11 01:40 PM
    Ok just did some checking, I set my wife's PB to time out after 30 seconds, it is unplugged and hers behaves exactly the same as mine. It plays audio while in standby mode. Video keeps the screen on to where it wont go into standby.

Seems like its a bug that only some people have.
    05-07-11 01:52 PM
    maybe you should have a look at the settings which can be altered. in the options panel choose the screen optoon and adjust either battery or plugged in options
    05-07-11 02:13 PM
    I was pumped when I found out I could use ORB to stream my media from my PC. It only took a few minutes for my happiness to turn into disappointment after discovering the Playbook goes into sleep mode after 5 minutes, causing my music/videos to stop playing. When I play something via the browser it's fine though.
    05-07-11 02:13 PM
    Maybe my PB is screwed up because it seems to do just fine playing media for longer than 5 mins without swiping. I listened to the crackberry podcast last night and even though it was in stand by mode the audio continued to play and when i watch a movie the screen always stays on.

Maybe I'm not understanding the problem people are having? Or i just don't have the problem. But downloaded movies in the video player, youtube videos, hulu, comcast on demand, music player, pod cast app and streaming audio from the browser all work for longer than 5 mins without me touching my screen. They all work on my pb screen and while going out the hdmi.
    Witmen. Try setting up ORB to stream media from your PC and see if you accomplish that without the Playbook timing out on you. Playbook will treat that differently and time out.
    05-07-11 02:16 PM

or use Twitter fully.
    If you mean you cant access the full site - use this

Twitter
    05-07-11 02:19 PM
    Witmen. Try setting up ORB to stream media from your PC and see if you accomplish that without the Playbook timing out on you. Playbook will treat that differently and time out.
    I am right now. I had never heard of orb till the pb, It sounds pretty cool.
    05-07-11 02:45 PM
    Like others have said, they need an option to turn off the going into standby. Nothing more frustration than being unable to stream radio stations only tohave them stop every 5 minutes. Hopefully once the TuneIN radio app get's released, then this problem will be rectified but until then, the playbook is not good for streaming music in the background. PS - I know about Slacker but that program is sorely lacking the quanitity of radio stations that TuneIN can provide.
    05-07-11 02:55 PM
    media from the web (webpages and datpiff music app) pquse when screen goes to standby. been like that. some apps like the native video and music are fine
    05-07-11 03:25 PM
    Hmmmm. I've been watching tv shows from crackle and have never had this problem. No timeouts and I'm not plugged in.
    05-07-11 04:48 PM
    I got orb setup, awesome little thing. Sucks that it does pause videos and music. This is the only time its happened on my PB. Maybe their media player don't do something that all other streaming media players do.
    05-07-11 05:43 PM
    i think you have to put it in showcase mode so i multi tasks better...
    mine used to pause as well and drive me nuts while i was painting a bedroom....
    had to keep at least on finger free of paint to swipe playbook back to life....

since changing to showcase mode, its been totally fine...
    05-07-11 06:15 PM
    i think you have to put it in showcase mode so i multi tasks better...
    mine used to pause as well and drive me nuts while i was painting a bedroom....
    had to keep at least on finger free of paint to swipe playbook back to life....

since changing to showcase mode, its been totally fine...
    Unfortunatley, showcase mode does not take care of the 5 minute timeout. For example, my settings are: showcase mode on, backlight time-out - 3 minutes, standby time-out 5 minutes, and the device is plugged in.

When I open up a website and stream a radio program, in this case Team 1040 for the Canucks broadcast (sorry Nashville friends), if you dont swipe or touch the screen in the 5 minute mark, the Playbook goes into suspend mode and the radio no longer plays. This is what I believe people are complaining about - especially if the Playbook is plugged into the wall. You shouldnt have to have the device go into standby mode.

I will give the playbook credit will credit is due, exiting from standby mode to the radio stream is almost instaneously, no delays at all, the stream plays right away. This is a good point.
    05-07-11 06:36 PM
    from what i have read, some sites that use flash as the player can set a variable to stay alive ( always on). i suspect that the sites that don't set this variable will exhibit the timeout.
    For example, i can listen to streaming CBC without the timeout but i cant watch discovery.ca videos without the 5 min timeout
    05-19-11 10:08 PM
    It's been the most annoying bug on the playbook. It never goes into sleep mode and always has to be on when charging. Even if I turn it off right away when I plug it into charge it boots up. Hopefully this will be rectified on the next os update.
    Why is it a big deal? Plenty of devices do this, including iProducts.
    05-20-11 01:27 AM
    The power management software is controlled by the OS. Without it being on, it can't manage the charging. It really doesn't affect the speed of charging.
    05-20-11 01:37 AM
    Switch "Application Behavior" under "General" to "Default" from "Paused" ....
    05-20-11 10:55 AM
    Switch "Application Behavior" under "General" to "Default" from "Paused" ....
    This is most likely the problem of OP, I don't have my Playbook at work today so I can't check but I think mine is set to Default and mine doesn't go to sleep like that. I had Twit running a video and it stayed on the whole time, like 30 min or something, and yesterady I was streaming Slacker at work all day and it doesn't stop the audio when the screen goes to sleep, that would just be silly lol!
    05-20-11 11:59 AM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD