I know that verison has a code you type into yoru phone like *66 or something like that and it will reconfigure your phone, depending on your location, to intercept better towers/reception when roaming or even for regular calls... Does anyone know if sprint has a code like this that we can type into our BBs?
    07-16-08 04:27 PM
    US Cellular is *228 and I think Verizon is as well. Can't hurt to try that one
    07-16-08 04:35 PM
    its probably the same because there all on the CDMA network
    07-16-08 04:38 PM
    We have to flag your account for a PRL (Preferred Roaming List) Update, I'm not certain if you can just dial a number to automatically do it. But once you call into us and we flag it you just dial *2 and you will have your towers and phone updated.
    07-16-08 04:49 PM
    I've never heard of this before. Could someone explain this feature with more detail? Would this be really expensive if you don't have free roaming?
    07-19-08 05:08 PM
    It could get really expensive unless you have the most recent PRL Update. a PRL Update :: Updates your device to allow searching for any new towers in the area. If there was a tower put up your phone would not notice it until you do that update.
    07-19-08 05:38 PM
    It's not *228 on Sprint. I just tried doing that, and it's the activation number, not update PRL number.
    07-19-08 06:18 PM
    You have to dial *2 to do the update, but only if WE flag your account for the update.
    07-19-08 07:32 PM
    You have to dial *2 to do the update, but only if WE flag your account for the update.
    I know...I was responding to someone else's query if you were able to dial *228 like you can on US Cellular and Verizon since Sprint is a CDMA carrier as well.
    07-19-08 07:55 PM
    I know that verison has a code you type into yoru phone like *66 or something like that and it will reconfigure your phone, depending on your location, to intercept better towers/reception when roaming or even for regular calls... Does anyone know if sprint has a code like this that we can type into our BBs?
    Nauden, I know exactly what you're talking about and it has nothing to do with a PRL update as being told to you here. Please correct me if you think we're not on the same page, but what you describe is called a "Tower ReSync."

It's been a long time since I've done this, but it's *18. When you dial it, the phone wont ring. You'll hear 2 quick tones and hang up.

PRL updates only update the preferred roaming list.
    Tower Resync does just that- re-syncs your phone with the towers; they're not the same thing.
    07-19-08 08:13 PM
    Hey -

I did a PRL update on Sprint a few days ago (I was flagged and called up and did *2) and I had a question. My device is going to need to be wiped by my IT department tomorrow morning. Will I lose whatever update I had? If so, should I call up to get it (PRL Update) again/is there an easy way for me to ge this update done if I need it?

Thanks!
    07-29-08 04:35 PM
    Hey -

I did a PRL update on Sprint a few days ago (I was flagged and called up and did *2) and I had a question. My device is going to need to be wiped by my IT department tomorrow morning. Will I lose whatever update I had? If so, should I call up to get it (PRL Update) again/is there an easy way for me to ge this update done if I need it?

Thanks!
    Pri, this is no biggie. I dont think it'll be removed, but I am not 100% sure about that. If it should get removed, just call them back and let them flag you for another update. PRL is just a preferred roaming list- not like they're updating your OS; so no need to worry.
    07-29-08 06:00 PM
    We have such knowledgeable women here!!!
    Makes me as an ignorant one feel like there is hope....
    07-30-08 05:03 PM
    We have such knowledgeable women here!!!
    Makes me as an ignorant one feel like there is hope....
    ORED...I'm sure they dont know JACK bout real estate. You Do!
    07-30-08 07:05 PM
    Okay....well maybe just a tad! Glad to have these forums though that's for sure..
    07-30-08 08:01 PM
    I can say my reception at home is exactly 3 bars now, whereas before I did the *18 trick, it was 1 bar. Thanks so much!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-24-08 03:37 AM
    My wife just called to get her PRL update. Here's what she said: "I called and the lady told me that Roaming is covered in my plan and that any updates should automatically get pushed to my phone�.."
    08-27-08 09:31 AM
    I can say my reception at home is exactly 3 bars now, whereas before I did the *18 trick, it was 1 bar. Thanks so much!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    You're welcome. Many confuse updating your roaming towers with a PRL; they sound like they have the ssme functions, but they each do something just a tad bit different.

The PRL update pretty much tells your phone that these are the towers it should use.

*18 (Sprint) resyncs (Tower Resync) your phone to those towers especially when you may be experiencing poor performance. As I said, when you dial *18, you wont hear your phone ring - just 2 quick tones and hang up.
    08-27-08 09:45 AM
    My wife just called to get her PRL update. Here's what she said: "I called and the lady told me that Roaming is covered in my plan and that any updates should automatically get pushed to my phone�.."
    Tell your wife "the lady" didnt know what she was talking about. To call back and tell them (dont ask) to flag her phone for a PRL update. When she hangs up, dial *2 and your wife should be greeted with the prompt that a PRL update is about to take place.
    08-27-08 09:47 AM
    Anyone know where I can find the PRL info on my phone, to see what version I am at? And, what is the latest PRL for BBs that Sprint has out?

-Grand
    08-27-08 01:54 PM
    I just called Sprint and the lady said they are no longer updating PRLs' for phones. She also said that since I have unlimited roaming that I do not need to worry about it....
    09-07-08 01:40 PM
    Just called CS on this issue, I am right on the border between excellent and fair coverage areas so reception in my house has been horrible to the point of almost switching to AT&T or Verizon. I have to say that this call to Sprint was the BEST customer service experience I have ever had! They did the PRL update for me on two phones and even changed my plan to save me about 30 bucks a month and give me more minutes. My PRL updates were sucessful and I have three bars 1XEV now instead of 1x or worse.
    Thanks Crackberry
    Oh, and also I got through to CS within about 45 seconds! I need to buy a lottery ticket today.
    09-13-08 10:03 AM
    Preferred Roaming List - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

To answer the first question, you have two options to be flagged for an over-the-air PRL update. You can visit a Sprint corporate store and they can flag you for it or you can contact customer care and have them flag you. Either way, afterwards you simply dial *2 and the update will take care of itself in about a minute.

Second, PRL only makes a difference if you are roaming off-network. PRL does nothing if you are in your home network's coverage. Most carriers recommend "Home Only" (in your case, "Sprint Only") for their service because it improves battery life and reduces dropped calls. Read the Wikipedia page that I posted for more information on what PRL is and how it works.
    09-18-08 09:07 AM
    My wife just called to get her PRL update. Here's what she said: "I called and the lady told me that Roaming is covered in my plan and that any updates should automatically get pushed to my phone….."
    That CSR did NOT know what they were talking about. It is true, just tell them that you seem to be having bad reception, problems, etc. lately and ask if your PRL needs to be updated. You can also have all the phones on your acct that need to be updated "flagged".

Actually, last week I was calling them(*2) to do that, and it DID somehow prompt the update automatically.
    10-15-08 08:26 PM
    So how often does this need to be done?

My Curve is on cinstant roam while i am at work. If i switch it to sprint only i drop calls and get 0 bars of RF.
    10-16-08 04:46 PM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD