HEy guys. I'M currently using a blackberry storm 2 and after about using it for a year I'm sick od it. Im looking to switch to a phone that better fits my needs. I'm from Germany but I'm studying in the USa so I need a phone that has spell check in both languages. I type a lot so typing fast is a biggy. I also need a good media phone. I like the bold because it looksike a reliable phone with that I can type fast. But I want a phone for 2 years and rim brings new berrys each year. The app store sucks in my opinion and the media capabilities are not better than the ones from the new iPhone. I really don't know what to do here. What do you guys think. Can the bold beat the iPhone ?
    07-18-10 10:34 AM
    I had the i phone 4 and it was really bad! The screen had yellow spots on it and the connection was terrible (At&t). I ended up returning it and getting the bold 9700. The i phone has a lot of cool features and the screen is nice (except for the spots) but I prefer my blackberry.
    07-18-10 10:49 AM
    "RIM brings out a new phone every year"

But they don't stop old phones from working with exactly the same functonality as before. Just adopt the philosophy of updating every other model

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-18-10 10:53 AM
    It's very hard to say the 9700 is a better device than the i4. However it would be easier for one to say the i4 is better than the 9700. It comes down to which one works best for you. Go into the store and have a go with both devices. The 9700 does email far better than the i4. The i4 has many better qualities that the 9700 doesn't. The choice is yours.... ))
    07-18-10 10:54 AM
    For me.. Blackberry is still the best smartphone ever made till today.. Bold 9700 a.k.a Onyx is the best one so far!! yeeess..
    07-18-10 10:55 AM
    RIght now I'm leaning towards the iPhone because it is such an entertaining device and the app store/Itunes would work great with my MAC. Is there a Hughe difference in typing speed between the devices?
    07-18-10 11:04 AM
    agreed, i have the bold 9650 and its the best phone i ever had. ive been a blackberry user for years now and i can say that bb is the best. iphone is cool and all but when it comes down to a phone and actual needs that a person does through out the da its useless. its cool for multimedia and large screen for better video viewing and what not. but the bb is def i think more of a social device that keeps you connected with friends, family, coworkers and whatever. physical keyboard is awsome.
    07-18-10 11:05 AM
    I've had the Bold and an iPhone (3GS), and I've picked the Bold to own again. It's hard to say the Bold is better. Personally, it's better for me. Usually, people making a decision like this grab the iPhone. I can't blame them, it's mesmerizing at first take, but there's been countless stories of people returning to BB. If you grab an iPhone and it works for you, good. I tend to lean towards Blackberry though, if I was recommending one over the other; for pure reliability as a communication device and its battery life.
    Last edited by Simba501; 07-18-10 at 12:24 PM.
    07-18-10 11:52 AM
    If you like a lot of media type stuff, better browser(for now ) and mostly useless apps, then go iPhone4, just don't forget the case so you get signal! Lol!

If you type a ton and use it more for a tool and want true multi-tasking(don't care how you put your twist on that it has it now, it really don't.) and have enough apps to get most through a day, then the 9700 is better...

I would hold off for the 9800 though, granted it is on at&t's horrible network...

07-18-10 12:12 PM
    I dont know how you compare the two because they are such different phones and a lot of it is personal tastes. If you just go by phone call quality then yes the 9700 is better. It is hard to compare such different devices it is really up to each user which one is better.
    07-18-10 12:20 PM
    In short. No.
    07-18-10 12:21 PM
    I wouldn't say one is better than the other.

iPhone: Media, Internet, Apps
    BlackBerry: Battery life, Messaging, Antenna issue not a problem

Keyboard is a different story. You can type fast on both devices, it will just take time to get used to.
    07-18-10 12:34 PM
    Messaging is the most important feature as this is the way I mostly stay in contact with my friends and family in Germany. I had both the tour and the curve before the storm. I LOVED the keyboard but I wanted a more multimedia like phone. I hate the keyboard on the storm. Do the ATT phones have a sim card slot so that if I go to Germany I can just put my German sim card in?
    07-18-10 12:53 PM
    I wouldn't say one is better than the other.

iPhone: Media, Internet, Apps
    BlackBerry: Battery life, Messaging, Antenna issue not a problem

Keyboard is a different story. You can type fast on both devices, it will just take time to get used to.
    well said...
    07-18-10 01:39 PM
    Well it's awfully hard to compare Blackberries to Apples.

It's all about your needs.
    If web browsing/media is your thing, get an iPhone.
    If messaging and battery life is your thing, get a Blackberry.
    07-18-10 01:46 PM
    Yes. On the other hand no. Try reading some reviews, deciding what you want and making your own mind up. I would consider myself a smartphone power user and I love the 9700.

07-18-10 03:40 PM
    Ninety seven hundredddddddd!!!!!!

07-18-10 04:09 PM
    I'm not convinced that the iPhone is a better device even for web browsing and multimedia.

It comes down to ease of operation. Operating the 9700 is so fast that it makes up for the lack of a webKit browser.

I can't see how someone with an iPhone could ever read as many web pages and listen to podcasts in the same given time as I manage on my 9700. Sure, the rendering on webKit will be perfect with beautiful typography but the 9700 will let me read many more pages in a given time.

Most of my web use consists of reading news, blogs and Twitter, and posting to forums. The 9700 is superior for all these uses. I do think this is what most people need from their smartphone in terms of web use, but others might disagree.

In terms of multimedia, again the same pattern: I can control playback without looking at the device thanks to hardware controls. This lets me use multimedia in situations I wouldn't with an iPhone.

Finally there's the phone and messaging parts. The BlackBerry is a superior phone, this is undisputed, and a physical keyboard lets you message people quickly, again in situations you wouldn't bother with an iPhone. Just as an example, I post to the forums wherever I am just using my phone while others wait to get to their computers. That's a big advantage to the 9700.

People believe that the iPhone software is superior, more modern and whatever. But is it the right software for a phone? That hasn't been demonstrated yet.

07-18-10 04:14 PM
    Is the 9700 better than i4? You have to say yes. Why? Simply because it works. i4 may have a better specs, but how can you say this phone is better if it simply does not work? For all the issues the 9700 may have, it still works.
    07-18-10 04:17 PM
    It is just really hard to make a decision here. I could hold on for a few more month and then get a new BlackBerry, but if I look at the trailers and previews of OS6, I must say that I'm not really impressed. Am I correct with the information that the new Bold is going to be a Slider Touchscreen?

I had a really disappointing BlackBerry Touch Screen experience and I do not want another Touch BlackBerry. Is there any information on a new BlackBerry that just has a physical keyboard as a navigation ( besides "the clam" or whatever that thing is called).I was just really dissapointed with my last BlackBerry experience. My Tour from Sprint had Trackball issues all the time and I do not like my Storm.

Are there any peers here on this thread that had a non BlackBerry Device? I would like to hear their opinion and if they miss or missed their BlackBerry.
    07-18-10 04:37 PM
    It is just really hard to make a decision here. I could hold on for a few more month and then get a new BlackBerry, but if I look at the trailers and previews of OS6, I must say that I'm not really impressed. Am I correct with the information that the new Bold is going to be a Slider Touchscreen?

I had a really disappointing BlackBerry Touch Screen experience and I do not want another Touch BlackBerry. Is there any information on a new BlackBerry that just has a physical keyboard as a navigation ( besides "the clam" or whatever that thing is called).I was just really dissapointed with my last BlackBerry experience. My Tour from Sprint had Trackball issues all the time and I do not like my Storm.

Are there any peers here on this thread that had a non BlackBerry Device? I would like to hear their opinion and if they miss or missed their BlackBerry.
    I came to the 9700 after an Android G1 and Palm Pre. Those two devices made me doubt the hype of touch UI. The subsequent experience with the 9700 was a pleasant surprise. Unfortunately right now Apple has a lot of mindshare and I think RIM feels pressured to come up with their own touch UI. I am also worried about the direction OS6 is taking with an emphasis on touch navigation.

07-18-10 04:43 PM
    It really comes down to personal preference. Do you want a communication device or an all-in-one phone, music player, and gaming device.
    I personally want a communication device, and the 9700 is great for that. I want a phone mainly to talk, text, and email, nothing else. I don't want/need a toy.
    Also, I hate the touch screen. I used my wife's IPhone this morning to type an email for her, and my fingers and the touch screen did not get along.
    I think the IPhone is indeed an amazing device, but it's not one that I want. The 9700 suits what I want to do with a phone.
    07-18-10 04:46 PM
    Simple really if you want a media player, cool games and apps why not get a ipod touch? If you wanna phone that can actually make phone calls then get a BB, not really a hard decision?

07-18-10 07:47 PM
    Haha Funny that you say that cause I have a iPod. however i feel like I want one device in one, a camera, a phone and a good music player and since im using a mac the iPhone would work quiet well. **** If there would be a curve with a 5 megapixel camera i would take that over the iphone but everything of the iPhone looks so good, besides the typing. I love having the physical keyboard, but i do not want the new slider blackberry that has the keyboard, because it is blackberry touch screen, meaning not as good as the iPhones one.

AHHHH I'm going nuts! I'm flying to Chicago tomorrow maybe I'll check out an ATT store there to see and to compare
    07-18-10 09:46 PM
    Well it's awfully hard to compare Blackberries to Apples.
    Good one, lol!
    07-18-10 10:04 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD