Just wondering what everyone else is using to protect their BB. All 3 apps are great IMO but I use both WMP Pro and Buddyguard. I like the fact that WMP uses cell towers to give you an approximate location of your BB if GPS is not available. And Buddyguard's lock feature is great because even if the phone is rebooted it remains locked. Between these 2 apps I have all the protection I need if my BB gets lost or stolen.

I have not tried Smrtguard yet so I can't comment on it, but from what I read it seems to be a great app also.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-13-10 08:43 AM
    I bought WMP pro a while ago and I really can't complain. Their first version was kind of lacking compared to the other apps that could remote wipe, send you contacts, inform you if someone rebooted or replaced the SIM card. The new version that came out a lil while ago does all that... best part - no upgrade fee. I wonder what new features they'll add in the future.

I can't say anything bad about the other lost phone applications. I'm sure they work fine and may have an extra feature or two but I don't really see the need to switch or run two.
    03-13-10 08:51 AM
    Well, I use Buddyguard also because of the remote lock, WMP does not lock your phone, it does actually but if you reboot it does not remain locked like BG. Plus BG does not run in the background either so its not using a lot of resources to drain your battery.

Hopefully WMP adds a lock that remains locked even after a reboot.

Last edited by BBjonjon; 03-13-10 at 10:26 AM.
    03-13-10 10:21 AM
    I just installed Buddyguard and I like it! The UI of Smrtguard is definitely cool, but it absolutely KILLS my battery. BG just sits there quietly.
    03-13-10 11:33 AM
    Smrtguard is free now, that I like!

I agree, battery life sucks with SG.
    03-13-10 11:42 AM
    Trying out BG now, so far so good. I do like the fact it doesn't run in the background.
    03-13-10 01:19 PM
    I like smrtguard a lot except for the battery issue. I wish someone could figure out what it is.

03-13-10 01:49 PM
    Trying out BG now, so far so good. I do like the fact it doesn't run in the background.
    Just because you do not see it within the Application Switch ribbon does NOT mean its not running in the background. How else would these type of apps function?

When enabled, BuddyGuard runs silently in the background, monitoring messages as they arrive.
    03-13-10 06:02 PM
    BuddyGuard is much more user friendly. I test it all the time and it never fail. It gave me the exact location of the bb unless its on Apartment building. The wipe, locate, and lock option is pretty fast.

04-19-10 03:06 PM
    smart guard here for almost a year. No battery drain either. Make sure you dont have the GPS tracking on.
    04-19-10 03:35 PM
    +1. I use Smrtguard and have experienced no battery drain with my 9700, even though it is running in the background.
    04-19-10 04:09 PM
    I tried the 30 days trial of smartguard. I didn't like it or I just didn't know how to use it. The remote locate or tracker isn't accurate as buddyguard. The application icon annoyed me, at least the buddyguard icon I can hide it and always running the background with no battery drain either.

04-19-10 04:58 PM
    Works great, does what I need it to.
    04-19-10 05:16 PM
    I just purchased buddyguard pro, used the free version and liked it very well, having problems with it when I go into activate the app it gives me a message that it is searching for the license code before it is ever typed in it then gives me a message that the license key is invalid try again, at this point the screen gives me or is showing the actual box to type in the 10 digit activation code and it still gives me the message invalid license code check your code that was sent in the email or contact support. Does anyone have any suggestions. Thank You.
    06-27-10 04:18 PM
    I just purchased buddyguard pro, used the free version and liked it very well, having problems with it when I go into activate the app it gives me a message that it is searching for the license code before it is ever typed in it then gives me a message that the license key is invalid try again, at this point the screen gives me or is showing the actual box to type in the 10 digit activation code and it still gives me the message invalid license code check your code that was sent in the email or contact support. Does anyone have any suggestions. Thank You.
    Delete the app and reboot your BB. Reinstall and try again.
    06-27-10 05:12 PM
    I've used SmrtGuard since the Beta days but probably won't renew my paid subscription. I don't really need the backup functions because I use Google Sync.

There's one real glitch; the locate beep doesn't work if the phone is on medium or loud.

Don't forget about eGPS. It's cheap and works well. The downside is lack of a web interface; it works only by sending email with GPS coordinates to a designated address.

06-27-10 08:24 PM
    is buddyguard worth the $2.99 or is the free version of smrtguard better? i feel that the buddyguard has more features than the free version of smrtguard.
    07-01-10 09:00 PM
    I have both. SmrtGuard for the cool web interface, BG for better lock screen & audio locate feature.

Unless you really want to be able to personalize the lock screen, BG free + SG free gives you the best of both.

07-01-10 11:29 PM
    I've had a look on the details but can't find an answer for either Buddyguard or smrtguard, do either of them require a data plan to be in place as I use my 9700 without one?

07-02-10 04:02 AM
    this one seems a nice thread to be bumped as I'm in a decison process right now, which one is the best considering that my 8520 doesn't have GPS therefore I can't locate it in any way... or can I?
    10-27-10 09:10 AM
    You can get a general location (usually within a quarter mile for me, depends on the population density) from the cell tower location - I guess that could help in an occasional situation, not sure either of those apps do it though.
    10-27-10 05:20 PM
    The current free version of buddyguard is pretty watered down :/
    10-27-10 07:52 PM
    The current free version of buddyguard is pretty watered down :/
    so SmrtGuard is the way to go? I can't really understand how this applications can even work if they are based on commands sent to your sim card number, I mean, what are the chances of someone steal your phone and keep it on with your sim card inside?
    10-28-10 02:37 AM
    Doesn't it use email, which is tied to the device?
    I just downloaded lookout, it's the most fully featured free one. But it's not working with OS6.

10-28-10 02:50 AM
    Doesn't it use email, which is tied to the device?
    I just downloaded lookout, it's the most fully featured free one. But it's not working with OS6.

never heard about it, heading towards appworld to check out. I'm using OS5 though..
    10-28-10 03:24 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD