I'm sold after watching the keynote of WWDC...

MobileMe is awesome...

The friggin photos were going right to MobileMe from the iPhone within seconds of sending it!!!

Mass deletion on messages = great! (about time, all we need now is forwarding of messages)
    Contact search = pretty good for those with 3000000000000000 contacts, I only have under 200 contacts...
    Word, Excel and Powerpoint support... Good job, wtf happened with RIM? The powerpoint slide was looking awesome.

The applications are craaaaaazy... MLB.com is going to have an application. A couple of things that were just awesome was the fact that I can watch a highlight just seconds after it happened. If Alex Rodriguez hits a grandslam, I don't have to wait until after the game. I just click the appropriate icon and watch it just after it happened.

The other was an IM app, which will be released probably in september where the app won't run in the backround (avoid memory lag or leaks) but will be stored in the magical "cloud" (apple's server I guess) that will push three things to the device. 1. Sound.. the IM sound you hear when you receive one on your PC for example. 2. Number of messages awaiting... Just like when you receive 4 text messages, you will see the number on the IM icon 3. A preview of the message... The developer can set buttons to appear with the preview to either close or reply.

There were a lot of other apps and now I know this phone is for me. The ability to download right to the device is crazy.

I may just turn into a fanboy for the first time in my life, no with Apple though as I will not accept a free iPod, but with their ideas and execution.

I will still use a BB for work, but I think my company (AT&T) has something in the work for at least us managers to use iPhones. If that happens, I will be using one device and one line of service for the first time since I was 15 years old.

Only decision I will have to make now is black or white. Lol.
    06-13-08 02:27 AM
    Careful Jayden. Comments like that incite anger and pitchfork slinging 'round these parts....

06-13-08 12:16 PM
    As much as I don't like the iPhone, Mobile Me was a nice surprise, and I admit it's pretty cool and the price is nice and cheap over the long term.
    06-13-08 12:35 PM
    Careful Jayden. Comments like that incite anger and pitchfork slinging 'round these parts....

Hehe... Tell me about it.

I got 39 views, 2 responses... lol.

I'm so serious about everything I saw in the keynote. It was crazy. It was just told to you, it was showed to you!

"The cloud" is the funniest thing ever.
    06-13-08 01:25 PM
    The Cloud really is the future. It is what Android is banking on for success too. I wouldn't be surprised if the iPhone and Google's Android take over the smartphone market in the next 3-5 years or so.
    06-13-08 02:11 PM
    Someone's Drinking the "Cool-Aid". Im right there with ya though. Berry for work, iPhone for play. Best of both worlds!
    06-13-08 03:38 PM
    Yes indeed... I'm here going back and forth on whether to sign up for the 60 free trial or just purchase it right away and get it out the way.

Also I'm trying to find out if I sign up when it's mobileme, do I still get the @mac.com address like the current .mac users will continue to have.

I already did it w/o an iPhone and now that I'm using my g/f's iPhone on my secondary line.
    Last edited by Jayden0606; 06-13-08 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Grammical error
    06-13-08 06:00 PM
    i agree - with html support, mobile me, better browser, larger screen, 50% cheaper, etc makes the iphone a real contender.
    ive been gearing up for the bold these last few months, but after watching that wwdc thing, it made me go youtubing for iphone videos where i was quite impressed in its UI. lets see what rogers has in store for us to help me make my decision...
    06-13-08 06:28 PM
    Got my answer, from David. He kept disconnecting me, wtf. Yet when we connected he had me on hold for 10 minutes. Wtf!

After the transition you will only be able to purchase email accounts with the "@me.com" suffix. If you purchase one prior to the transition then you will have both the "@mac.com" and the "@me.com"
    06-13-08 08:44 PM
    The major dealbreaker for me is no MMS! If it had MMS would really consider getting the iphone and the Bold!!!
    06-13-08 08:52 PM
    No MMS, no flash on the camera, no user-replacable battery, no thanks...

I'd never "buy" one, but it would be a nice toy if I just it for a present. I'd tool around with it until the novelty wore off and then "C-Ya". SOLD to the highest bidder!
    06-13-08 08:56 PM
    There is MMS... first of all. Is it too hard to say, send it to my email?

Flash on camera... okay. I honestly don't take photos @ night.

Replaceable battery? Why? It's not like anyone complained about this on the iPod. Also the 3g talk time on the iPhone is going to be 5 hours! 2g talk time is 10 hours.
    06-13-08 09:10 PM
    Features are more important than untapped and insurmountable potential Jayden! You should learn that as quickly as possible...
    06-13-08 10:26 PM
    They can be if there are work arounds...

I found the flash work-around... carry a flashlight, j/k.

I signed up for my .mac account today... Wow this interface sucks right now. I attempted to sync my Address Book with my PC with no luck.
    06-13-08 10:47 PM
    you kno what, to me... the iphone is still gonna be a play thing regardless.

my lil rant: i think ppl just get worked up. to me its like when someone's been trying to say something n u never listen then someone else says the same thing n adds just a lil something at the end n then u notice it. its like ok, so what if the iphone can upload images to a mobileme acct? i mean, i have facebook, n theres flickr n other programs right? mass deletion... my curve has that (delete prior or even search by contact n delete everything from them...). contact search, something that like every other phone has n now is when apple includes it... n isnt there a mlb tracker specifically designed for Blackberry? ok, yes the instant video highlight is TOTALLY awesome, but will u get the chance to actually see it. if ur not in front of a tv watching the game that means ur somewhere else doing something else right? i mean thats just me n im not much into baseball so.... w/e, doesnt apply to me. n the one thing i kinda dont understand is the whole, u can close the program n u can still get messages... i havent really seen any lag for me while my IM's are running. n if i close it is cuz i dont want to talk to anybody. so if i have the iphone, i will literary have to sign off so i dont receive any info from my messenger. if not then i have to worry about a pop up (if i'm in the middle of an app), then see if i want to read the message n then if i do i then have to reopen my messenger, would that mean i have to sign on again? while on my BB, just do a lil alt+back button, scroll n im there n ready to chat. to me if i close the app, thats it, no communication for anyone... n BB has been able to d/l OTA for how long?. n the mms... i really dont want to learn someone's email so i can send them a pic or a video (once i can capture video lol). also, i love that i can change themes on my bb... IMO the iphone can do select things that bb can't n vice-versa. i do give kudos to the iphone for aesthetics, games n killer touch screen experience (n the push cal n contacts) but thats about it. so sorry if sounded like a buzz killer n bashing on jayden's OP, but its like ppl get so hyped up to whats already been around. BB has many many apps that the iphone is just getting. its just the iphone is more aesthetically based. i like how someone said in the forums, a company giving an iphone to their employees is like saying "here do nothing except play games, buy n listen to music on itunes".... i stay true to one thing i believe is the best (BB) n will die defending it.

so... these r just my 2 cents n to wrap up im not really buying into the whole iphone hype; the wwdc video: applauding to a majority of things that have already been... is just sad to me. to me its being raised too high
    06-13-08 11:36 PM
    Don't like the iPhone, but MobileMe is awesome.
    06-14-08 12:22 AM
    Mass deletion / Contact search is much harder on an all touchscreen then one with physical keys...

I bring the example of the mlb.com because it's just the beginning. I don't think it will stop @ just mlb, but continue onto football, basketball, hockey, golf and other sports. It's not just a tracker. Also I don't watch TV at all, but I love highlights. Matter of fact I don't even have cable that is how much I don't watch TV, so this would be a benefit. If I'm at work, why wouldn't I want to see real time highlights? I have a friend when football season is on at work that keeps refreshing his screen and says all the time that he wishes he had real time highlights. Not for you, but a lot of people will love this.

So... you don't have memory leaks on your device? You would be the first BB user to not have this. This is from all the processes that run in the back round. Of course you know how to close a program, but 80% of people who use PDA/Smartphones either don't know how or never remember to do that. You can turn notification off if you feel bothered by it. No, you are signed off, but the application is in a suspend mode in which you don't lose memory like BBs do and many other smartphones out there. I think you may need to watch the keynote to understand how amazing this feature is. Watch HERE. If you have use those key points at the bottom.

So the BB can d/l applications to the memory to be used off the memory card? Lol. I must have missed this. You will be able to download an application onto your device for use... not just themes, ringtones and graphics.

How would you have to learn their email address? Add their email to your address book? You can put their actually email address or their phone email address, same as inputting their phone number.

250,000 people downloaded the SDK to make apps for the iPhone... I don't even think RIM is getting 1/3 of that attention to making apps. Most of RIMs worth while apps will cost $$$$. Apple encourages free apps as they won't charge the developers who aren't charging the customers. RIM charges everyone to get their app signed, hence why it's limited to the amount of quality apps.

I do have a question for you... Are you able to get into your personal folders on your BIS plan? I love being able to go into my personal folders on my iPhone. Are you able to file your email from your BB? Yes, I love this! IMAP owns me!

Visual Voicemail being built into the phone? I don't know about you, but when I use the iPhone, I barely have voicemail messages. On my BB, I fill up the box... why? Because I can't stand listening to messages when I already know what's being said especially because I spoke to the person before I hear the voicemail.

Riddle: How many apps will it take to have the functionality of MobileMe? I hope it's not too many, I'll run out of memory. That is another positive about the iPhone, it uses the 8-16gb of memory for the apps. You will only have 1gb for apps on the Bold. (let's not talk about the current BBs)

Good points to watch:
    20:00 Into the keynote
    43:00 To better understand why the MLB.com app is great. (They even say it was the best device to bring these features out on)
    53:30 What a game... Wow! I haven't played a game console in 7 yrs, wow! This makes me want to again.
    54:00 To understand how Apple stopped the memory leak issue and battery drain, pretty funny too.
    1:01:00 Great language support. A good reason why is physical keyboard isn't always the best.
    1:07:00 Mobile me... You would really like this if you watched this how all your devices sync simultaneously.
    1:23:00 98% customer satisfaction... wow. BB doesn't have that.

Last edited by Jayden0606; 06-14-08 at 11:14 AM. Reason: sorry updated the d/l part...
    06-14-08 01:02 AM
    Those who have never owned an iPhone and especially never messed with a Jailbroken one will never understand how incredible it is. Sure its missing what everyone knows its missing. I would be getting a 3g iphone but its on att and I don't want to sign up with them. Hope someone genius can hack it down the road and unlock, also hoping TMO makes a 3g that is compatible with the new iphone. Time will tell. Those who like the iphone love it. I sure enjoy owning one.
    06-14-08 02:31 AM
    ok, so u do have a valid point there about the mlb tracker. u dont have cable so no SC n ESPN for u... but its like what i said, the iphone is like that person that takes the credit when someone else had mentioned it: "like when someone's been trying to say something n u never listen then someone else says the same thing n adds just a lil something at the end n then u notice it." all in all, it is a tracker, with a lil added highlights (which i didnt knock on). im just saying the idea has already been done, minus the highlight part.

the memory leaks yeah. ive posted about my call logs n sms being deleted. but ive managed to save myself A LOT of battery pulls by deleting convos, sms, mms, clearing cahce n GMaps as soon as im done. its been a while since i did a bett pull (no more than 2 weeks tho...lol). but as far me noticing a lag on my bb while the app (IM) is running, it doesnt go slower. i see the mem leak happening, but after im done talking with them i delete it n got my memory back. n now with archive from dexrex, i could delete it n not have to wonder "what were we talking about?"

and umm... yeah. most of the free apps that i have r from OTA d/l. n hopefully soon we'll be able to get OS upgrades OTA as well.

n u have to learn their email b4 u can add them to ur addrss book. its just an addded step to doing something that sholdve been.

and personal folders. i have opera mini. i go to gmail, yahoo, n hotmail to access my folders from the web. im just a guy who goes to school n works part time. its not like i really talk over email constantly. i have been more thanks to BB n push, but its still not comparable to how business users use it on their exhange.
    but yes, IMAP is great but not a priority for me.

n for that, yes its great. but i have t-mobile myfaves n use grandcentral lol. its not quite as good as iphone's visual voice mail, but i have to admit, many of my friends have my GC number n use it. once i get a voice mail, head over to the mobile site n i can delete it or listen to it. very simple. i can even screen calls. but having on it the actual phone than on the web is a plus n thats where iphone gets props.

answer to riddle (i hope): isnt there an application where it lets u load applications to the SD card...? if so, then thats one problem solved. i dont kno how well it works tho but the concept is there....

it is great for the iphone given that it is primarily a media device. u can watch youtube like crazy on it. so why not make a highlight part to it? that should've been there from the start. but it is great.
    i never knocked on the games, i gave iphone kudos on it. teaming with SEGA n that spain company was like the best thing.
    but like i said, about the whole IM thing. it doesnt go into detail. n i dont see a lag in performance, mem, yes at times. but do u get what i mean, i dont want to reopen my IM. but to oe his own. n ebay... doesnt it have a instant email notification... i would just put my BB email if anything...
    yes great support for the chinese n jap language. it has a touch screen so u can draw n its awesome. really good.
    mobileme... great deal with push contacts n calendar, like i said. but the picture thing isnt a new things. it is great for relaying info to other devices n keeping updated. but when u said (with much enthusiasm) that friggin photos are going right to mobileme within seconds, that sholdnt shock u, its not a new thing.
    customer satisfaction, u got me there. i havent seen or read any stats or reports from RIM. so yeah.

but, like i said these r just my opinion. u like drinking the "kool-aid" with apples n a few blackberries on the side. n i like drinking my "tang" n having blackberries as my only diet. two different flavors n tastes. this is something thats never going to be resolved until one goes under... kinda like how palm lost its crown to bb. for now, BB has the business n the transition of having a n iphone as a business phone is about to come. we all will have to wait to see who the winner is going to be... no here to make enemies, just to talk n share points of view.
    06-14-08 10:11 AM
    Never that... It's all good. If there wasn't anyone to debate for iPhone, this would be a very bland conversation... I don't think the iPhone is close to being the end all device, but I do believe it's closer than any device out there right now.

ESPN, not sure if it was thought of before, but the developers and Apple were BOLD enough to do it first and the best on the iPhone. Who cares about the kid who had the idea, it's about the kid who executed the idea. I'm a manager for AT&T and when my reps tell me, "Oh I'm going to do this," I tell them "great, but show me" Even if Apple stole every idea in the world, why did it take their 1st and 2nd devices to do this. You have to realize one thing, Apple is forcing everyone else to stop being the little punk kid that's scared to speak up and execute while doing it better than everyone else.

You may not notice it, but call RIM up and ask them. They openly admitted that to me when a rep came to my building. He even said the OS would be re-work from the ground up to begin to eliminate this issue. I've done three resets in the 8 months I have had my iPhone (before I sold it)

I update the d/l part... I was meaning to say to the memory card for use on the memory card. You get 16gb of that space vs. 1gb on the BB. Even with the "Aerize Card Loader" it lets you store the install, not store the actually app. This can't be done right now on the BB.

My point is that it's the same as learning the phone number. Maybe it's me that I've always had a good memory and this part could definitely be a bother for users, but for me, I can't remember the last time I sent a pic on my curve.

Isn't this a contradiction if you have to go and login to your email account online to view your folders? It's not even the same look and feel either. Have you tried it on the iPhone? I say a contradiction because with IMs, you don't want to have to log back in (when you thought that was the case with the IM app on the iPhone), but you don't mind going through the whole login process for email? It would take longer to do that than to log back in to the IM app.

My problem is having to send GC up. I have it and never use it. GC gives you another number. I don't want that. I want to use my own number. Nonetheless, it's just another app I have to use.

No, the install gets loaded to the card, not the app. Problem won't be solved. "Let me use this app... Oops, let me install it from my memory card first and then I can use it. Oh, I'd like to use another app, since I'm running low on memory, let me delete this app and now install this one."

I don't even watch/listen to media and the iPhone is better for me. The things it does, it does it well. I'm scared to say, near perfect for me. Youtube, I never watch unless my g/f forces me to watch the funny babies on it with her. The web browser isn't for media for me, it's for business as well. I easily login to my banking accounts and credit card companies to pay invoices You aren't opening the app again. It's suspended, you still receive whatever notification you would receive with JiveTalk, except without memory loss. You may not notice it, but every BB apps uses memory and slows the device down, but maybe not as much for you as it is for others, but I can speak and attest to this as I've used both devices and for an extensive period of time. You have people that used the iPhone for a week and they deem themselves as being able to compare both items equally (without favoritism)

My point is without a 3rd party app. Once again, I don't want to download more useless apps to block memory, whether it be a small amount, it still a lot when talking in BB terms. My point with the memory is that most users aren't like you. They don't know or don't care or plain and simple don't remember to close out programs. Funniest part of the keynote where they state how stupid it is to have end-users needing to go to a "task mamanger" to stop a processes... what the heck!

MobileMe is doing what RIM has yet to do for the "rest of us" I'm not even going to begin to explain the amount of $$$ and apps I would need to accomplish what MobileMe is doing and even with that, it's not doing it like MobileMe does. I change a contact on my phone and it updates on all me devices? I change an appointment and it goes to all my devices? Wow! You realize how many corporations need and want this? Even for me, we share calendars so we know what other managers are doing. If I change something on my phone, it's updated on the calendar they see at work. That's awesome.

I don't really consider myself a kool-aid drinking person, but a person who's not scared to buy a cup of it when it's made the right way.
    06-14-08 11:39 AM
    Using Opera Mini to log into your email accounts via the website just to access your mail folders can generally be considered a hassle. Havng to switch a phone number for an email address to MMS bothers you, but going to these steps just to access personal folders doesn't?

Not sure what you mean by the Exchange comment, but the iPhone has full Exchange support.

When it was released, it was primarily a media device, that much is true. That is no longer the situation, at all. Anyone clinging to that description is just refusing to accept all the other things it can do.

Riddle anwer... No, you can't install applications to the memory card on your BB. You can uninstall them and store them on the memory card using a special program. The only purpose of this program is to save you the hassle of finding, and redownloading the app should you want to use it again in the future.

If you can get realtime notification of a new IM message, why do you need the program running in the background? You may have not noticed a slowdown, but it is taxing the processor and it is causing a bit more battery drain. If there can be a resolve to this that stops the negative effects, while giving you the same realtime notification, where is the negative side? Push notification is good for me.

As far as running other apps in the background, I have yet to see a good reason to keep something in the background. I have been using smartphones for years and I have never had a real reason to keep a game running in the background, or any app for that matter. On my BB, I don't even leave Viigo runninig; I just retrieve the new feeds every time I open it. I dunno, maybe I prefer to leave things clean and simple, but I still haven't seen a true compelling argument for background applications, except IM. The iPhone will have an IM solution, so I see no further issue.

You are very much entitled to your opinion, and you can like whatever device you like. That is your right under law, and nobody can take it away from you. What Jayden and I are "crusading" for is merely a more open minded acceptance of the iPhone. We are just trying to help people understand what it is capable of so they will maybe stop bashing it all the time.

It is an exercise in futility on most occasions, and it is becoming one I am less and less inclined to do. I still haven't burned out though, so I continue the fight.

Equal acceptance for the BlackBerry and iPhone! That means understanding the iPhone is capable of more than just games and media by the way....
    Last edited by CrazEtooN; 06-14-08 at 01:26 PM. Reason: typo
    06-14-08 11:42 AM
    Wow, lots of discussion here, too much to comment on. I have not looked in depth at mobileme, but it sounds like an awesome app, cross between a general use BES and BIS. There really is no reason why RIM could not turn BIS into this type of an application, especially with the advent of 3G on the Bold. It would take some investment to have to storage space available, but you could have your calendar and everything syncing to this app and then decide whether or not others are allowed to see it. Honestly, if RIM where to essentially merge BES and BIS and just break out the behind firewall stuff as the "enterprise service" (for syncing to your company calendar and contacts, even HD space), they could do something like this. RIM has the advantage of many different interfaces to draw customers (Bold, Kickstart, Thunder, Pearl) that with some investment, they could toast the naysayers who keep bringing up the iPhone. Just my bit......

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-14-08 12:10 PM
    Wow, lots of discussion here, too much to comment on. I have not looked in depth at mobileme, but it sounds like an awesome app, cross between a general use BES and BIS. There really is no reason why RIM could not turn BIS into this type of an application, especially with the advent of 3G on the Bold. It would take some investment to have to storage space available, but you could have your calendar and everything syncing to this app and then decide whether or not others are allowed to see it. Honestly, if RIM where to essentially merge BES and BIS and just break out the behind firewall stuff as the "enterprise service" (for syncing to your company calendar and contacts, even HD space), they could do something like this. RIM has the advantage of many different interfaces to draw customers (Bold, Kickstart, Thunder, Pearl) that with some investment, they could toast the naysayers who keep bringing up the iPhone. Just my bit......

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    That is our point... RIM can do it, they have chosen not to or do it very slow. Google may actually do something similar soon. RIM is king of emails, they need to start acting like it.
    06-14-08 01:09 PM
    Blackberry actually does have something very similar to this available already! It's called Blackberry Unite! Only thing is, it only works on your Blackberry, (doesn't sync to outlook, ical, etc, etc) and is only available on PCs which have to stay running in order for the sync to occur.

On the plus side though, it's free (but only available through Bell out of Canada as of right now...). Do some research on it!
    06-14-08 03:01 PM
    Blackberry actually does have something very similar to this available already! It's called Blackberry Unite! Only thing is, it only works on your Blackberry, (doesn't sync to outlook, ical, etc, etc) and is only available on PCs which have to stay running in order for the sync to occur.

On the plus side though, it's free (but only available through Bell out of Canada as of right now...). Do some research on it!
    I have actually... I've had it, deleted it. Are you with Bell? Close, but no cigar on BB Unite.
    06-14-08 03:14 PM
53 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD