Hey,

I'm a brand new BlackBerry user! Got my first ever BlackBerry on Tuesday - and I'm loving it! The 9700 is a beautiful little thing.

But, how do I sign out of Gmail? I'm not sure if staying signed in will abuse my data usage (unlimited with Vodafone, but due to their fair use policy - it's technically 500MB).

I'm just using the 'built in' email tool to get my emails, not sure if there's a dedicated app I should be using, or even if this is considered an app... I know very little about BlackBerry's!

Thanks for any help!
    02-11-10 03:40 PM
    But, how do I sign out of Gmail?
    Are you speaking of using a Gmail account as your push email account or are you speaking of using the Gmail mobile app?

If you are just using a Gmail account for push email, you should be fine.

You are also using a carrier whose policies may not completely be known to all here and you may wish to ask your customer service department at Vodafone for their answer directly.
    02-11-10 03:56 PM
    Oh... what's push email exactly?
    02-11-10 04:05 PM
    push email is using the email client built into the device and if thats what your using it shouldnt plop you over 500 mb.. on average I use about 100 mb a month and thats all my data use
    02-11-10 04:10 PM
    Oh! Okay thanks

How do you log out of it though? I'd like to be able to log in and out whenever I'm in or outside the house!

EDIT: Oh also is there a way to check your usage? Not just on email, but on everything else too?
    Last edited by SYLiam; 02-11-10 at 05:00 PM.
    02-11-10 04:57 PM
    Push email is the technology that Blackberry has made famous that "pushes" email directly to your mailbox. Instead of checking to see if you have email, you will instantly know when you receive it. The Gmail App is rather redundant. You will always get your "push" email before it shows up on your Gmail app. Usually 10-15 min after getting your email you will notice a red asterisk. Not really useful if you have "push". Also, there is literally no data usage on an email account. On average an email with no attachment is roughly 3kb. This would equate to just under 167,000 emails (based on your 500MB cap), so don't even concern yourself with data usage as it pertains to your email account. I hope this helps.... Also, by using the native email account it's not necessary to login and out. One click and you're in.
    02-11-10 06:34 PM
    Ah awesome! Thanks very much for the explanation! Is it not possible at all to log out? Seems like kind of a waste of the data limit (even though I'll never hit it) and would prefer to only log on when it's needed!

I need to find out if it's all completely unlimited when I'm connected to Wifi... not sure!

EDIT: Another question aswell... might be a bit of a hard one to answer... roughly, which would use less data? The Push Gmail, or the Gmail app? I have no idea what the average Blackberry user uses in a month in data, do you think 500MB (advertised as unlimited but like I said, fair use policy) will be enough? All I really do is email, Live Messenger (when I'm out and about), and the Facebook app!

Oh and (sorry for all the questions) but can someone quickly explain roaming for me please? I've had a quick Google search, but I don't REALLY understand it!
    Last edited by SYLiam; 02-11-10 at 08:53 PM.
    02-11-10 07:10 PM
    Is it not possible at all to log out?
    No

10 char
    02-11-10 08:45 PM
    Ah okay, haha.

I've added a few questions to my post above actually, I'm sure I'll get used to all of this stuff in a few weeks!
    02-11-10 08:54 PM
    I know this is an old post but for people looking for an answer that is current- here it is... Nobody here addressed the question that was being asked!! The user simply wanted to know how to log out of email- not to get off topic responses on why it is not necessary, how to delete gmail altogether, or go off on another topic!
    The answer is quite simple... You simply can not log out of gmail on your BlackBerry device.
    Most people purchase a BlackBerry for its security- however it is not too secure staying logged in to gmail 365 days a year.
    No conspiracies, the government wants it that way. No warrants are needed if you are logged in 24/7 it is that simple. Thank the
    Patriot Act of 2001. We no longer have any privacy!!
    Last edited by anonymous3333; 09-15-17 at 03:27 PM.
    09-15-17 02:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD