Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • FileScout

6 46.15%
  • File Manager Pro

5 38.46%
  • Other (please list name in post)

2 15.38%
    Which one do you think is better FileScout or File Manager Pro?

I know one is donationware, but cost is not an isuue. I would like to know what the best program would be to have on my Storm. I have been playing with both programs and really don't see a difference.

Thanks
    01-16-10 08:31 AM
    If cost is not an issue, FMP is the way to go. FS is very good. FMP may have a trial version. Try both. FMP works best for me on my 9700.
    01-16-10 08:33 AM
    Definitely File Manager Pro. Simply the best file management app out there.

Threw in a poll so you (hopefully) don't have to count answers from posts.

@jcp007: I recorded your vote based on your post
    01-16-10 09:01 AM
    I'm happy with FileScout but with it being free and File Manager Pro having a free trial you should give them both a shot and decide for yourself.
    01-16-10 10:42 AM
    I'm happy with FileScout but with it being free and File Manager Pro having a free trial you should give them both a shot and decide for yourself.
    FileScout is NOT free. The developer makes that line very bold and clear, it is NOT free software. It is donationware and you are asked to pay the developer SOME amount if you like the software.

I voted for File Manager Pro, much cleaner interface and more intuitive to use!
    01-16-10 02:02 PM
    I used them both, but settled for FileScout--- it does the same thing at a fraction of the cost (donation)
    01-16-10 04:44 PM
    Was a longtime FMP user (from before 1.5.3.0), but now a fan of FS 1.8.6.0. The FMP UI still feels more integrated into the OS and allows for directory tree popup operations, but the additional features of FS 1.8.6.0 move it ahead of FMP for serious file/directory exploration and operations.
    07-10-10 03:11 PM
    I ended up going for File Manager Pro when I was trying out both applications. File Manager Pro was the only one that allowed me to select multiple files and Email them all at the same time. It has a feature similar to Shift Click and Control Click on a PC when selecting multiple files. I'm not sure if FileScout has added that feature or not. At the time I was using it, it did not.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-10-10 05:20 PM
    ...select multiple files and Email them all at the same time. It has a feature similar to Shift Click and Control Click on a PC when selecting multiple files. I'm not sure if FileScout has added that feature or not.
    FS 1.8.6.0 does allow for multiple file select and send via email, or Bluetooth .
    07-10-10 08:54 PM
    filescout is number one for me
    07-10-10 09:05 PM
    FS 1.8.6.0 does allow for multiple file select and send via email, or Bluetooth .
    Cool. Thanks for the info. I guess it took them a while to finally add that feature. This was over a year ago when I ended up resorting to File Manager Pro because they were the only ones that had that feature at the time.
    File Manager Pro is still serving it's purpose for me. I wouldn't mind checking out the new version of File Scout. Is it still free, or are they charging for it now?

07-10-10 09:06 PM
    It seems as though File Scout has a lot to offer now. I see there's a free Lite version and a paid version. The paid version has a file and directory search. This is not available on File Manager Pro. I wonder how accurate and fast the search feature is. File Manager Pro has not updated their software in nearly a year. I may have to do some research on File Scout.

07-10-10 09:18 PM
    i have only used file scout and like it a lot
    07-11-10 01:48 PM
    I'm still debating if I want to purchase FoulScout to go along with File Manager Pro, which I already have. They both have their strengths and weaknesses.

Search:
    File Manager Pro yielded better results, but once you commit to search you can't cancel it until it's done. FileScout allowed me to cancel in the middle of a search, but it couldn't find the file I was searching for.
    + Tie

Add To Favorites:
    Both programs will allow you to add a directory to your favorites. It seems more straight forward with File Manager Pro. You simply highlight a directory and select Add to Favorites. With FileScout you have to open the directory, then highlight a file or folder within that directory, then you're able to add it to your favorites. If that particular folder does not have a subfolder or file within it, you're unable to add that directory to your favorites.
    +1 File Manager Pro

Navigation:
    Navigating through the file explorer of File Manager Pro is quick and easy. Click the trackpad/trackball to open a folder. If you want to quickly jump to a subfolder or file, simply type the first letter of the subfolder or file name. You can also select files and subfolders by scrolling up and down as well. One thing it's lacking is a filter feature.
    Filescout will not allow you to quickly jump to a file or subfolder right away. You have to type "Q" in order to enable the find feature, then as you type it will filter out your selection. Having to type "Q" each time to quickly jump around can be annoying. The filter feature, however, on FileScout allows you to really key in on the file(s) your looking for within that particular folder.
    I give FileScout the edge because of the filter feature.
    +1 FileScout

Image Viewer:
    Both apps allow you to view images within a folder in list view or thumbnail view. File Manager Pro does not have a feature that allows you to go to the Next or Previous image. You have to close each image, then open the next. A work around would be to use the file explorer app called Files in OS 5.0 in order to quickly view images within a folder. FileScout has a great feature of allowing you to go to the next or previous image.
    +1 File Scout

Selecting Multiple Files:
    Both apps allow you to select multiple files. FileScout didn't have this feature a while back, but it has sense been added in future updates. Therefore, both apps are able to select and deselect multiple files. File Manager Pro highlights the file with a blue stripe making it very obvious that the file has been selected. FileScout puts a green arrow next to the file name. I didn't notice the little green arrow at first. I was trying numerous times to figure out how to select multiple files. Then I happened to see the little green arrow. I prefer the blue highlight in File Manager Pro, in comparison to the little green arrow in FileScout.
    +1 File Manager Pro

Jump To Favorites:
    Both apps will allow you to quickly jump to your Favorites. In File Manager Pro use Alt+F, or Menu > Favorites. In FileScout use G+H, or Menu > Goto Favorite...
    +1 Tie

Email Archive:
    File Scout has feature I just noticed that allows you to archive your Email messages. You can do this right from your BlackBerry Message Box. It adds an option within the Menu. It's great for saving those important messages that you would like to keep forever on your SDcard, without having to take up valuable internal memory using the default Email save method on your BlackBerry.
    +1 FileScout

Shortcuts:
    Both apps allow you to use your keypad to quickly navigate and to do certain functions within the app. FileScout seems to have more shortcuts than File Manager Pro.
    +1 FileScout

Updates:
    FileScout seems to do a better job of pushing frequent updates and new features. The last update for File Manager Pro was October 27, 2009. The last update for FileScout was June 1, 2010.
    +1 FileScout

There are many other features and comparisons that I have failed to list.
    I've been a File Manger Pro fan for a while now. After comparing the 2, it seems as though FileScout is perhaps the winner. Keep in mind that FileScout has some other features I didn't get into.

Guess I'll be purchasing a new app.....FileScout. They just sent me a promo code for 20% off if I order within the next 4 days.
    Guess I'll jump on it. With them steady pushing out updates, and File Manager Pro sitting back on their hands, I guess it's time for a change.
    Last edited by cdf3; 07-12-10 at 12:31 AM.
    07-12-10 12:25 AM
    The lack of FMP updates was why I felt compelled to revist FS and why I felt the need to resurrect this thread. Though FMP continues to offer features that FS does not (set read only flag, Copy/Move Here, Copy/Move Into, directory tree operations), I feel that FS (as of 1.8.6.0) has become more useful as a file management utility.
    07-12-10 02:49 AM
    The lack of FMP updates was why I felt compelled to revist FS and why I felt the need to resurrect this thread. Though FMP continues to offer features that FS does not (set read only flag, Copy/Move Here, Copy/Move Into, directory tree operations), I feel that FS (as of 1.8.6.0) has become more useful as a file management utility. It is not without its faults, however.

Add To Favorites:
    The inability to add an empty directory to Favorites is an annoyance/bug which requires attention.

Selecting Multiple Files:
    I prefer the FileScout method of multiple file selection. FMP displays two blue highlights, one indicating the current selection. This can become confusing when attempting to modify a lengthy series of selections, even with the status bar file count displayed.
    07-12-10 03:07 AM
    After further comparing the two apps, I decided to keep File Manager Pro as my primary app for file management. No need to purchase another file management app since I already paid for File Manager Pro.

I was really digging the Email Archive feature of FileScout until I realized that after I archived the Email, I really couldn't do anything with it except read it.
    I couldn't forward it to anyone. That was a bit of a turn off for me.
    Navigating through files and folders with FileScout would be laggy at times.
    I never have this issue with File Manager Pro. It's always fast and quick.
    I like how FileScout allowed me to navigate from image to image, unlike File Manager Pro. To keep from buying FileScout, I decided to set the new File Manager that comes with OS 5.0 as a hotkey with a new theme I created. I can use it when I want to scroll through folders which contain photos.
    FileScout also allows me to resize a photo. Since I have an app called ShrinkIt, I basically won't need FileScout in order to do that.
    I'll just hold on to my cash and use it for another app I may have my sights set on in the near future. Someone looking for a good file management app would probably do better with FileScout, since it has more features than File Manager Pro.
    I've gotten so used to navigating around my files and folders with File Manager Pro, there's no need for me to have multiple file management apps on the same device.
    07-12-10 07:46 PM
    you've already decided and that's fine, but I'll stick with FileScout. I use two of his apps, FileScout and GPSLogger, and the support is excellent.
    07-12-10 07:55 PM
    of course I am not the right person to add a comment to this thread - I just would like to let you know, that the next build of FileScout will look like the attached screenshot... [concerning the selection]

Additional a massive performance improvement for opening larger directories will be include
    07-31-10 03:17 PM
    I was really digging the Email Archive feature of FileScout until I realized that after I archived the Email, I really couldn't do anything with it except read it.
    You should be able to use "Reply" and "Reply All" (from the #Menu) when you select the 'bbm' file [the one that start with 00_]

Navigating through files and folders with FileScout would be laggy at times.
    Expect a massive improvement here...
    Last edited by emacf1; 07-31-10 at 03:30 PM.
    BullGuard8 likes this.
    07-31-10 03:21 PM
    of course I am not the right person to add a comment to this thread - I just would like to let you know, that the next build of FileScout will look like the attached screenshot... [concerning the selection]

Additional a massive performance improvement for opening larger directories will be include
    That is one major plus of filescout - the developer is here on CrackBerry.
    07-31-10 04:21 PM
    Hey, emacf1, I have a request for filescout:
    In file manager pro, if you select a zip file, it opens so you can see whats in it. You can then unzip all or part of it, whichever you prefer. As far as I can tell, in filescout all you can do is unzip the file. I really prefer filescout in every way except that one point... It'd be awesome if you could have filescout be like that too
    Just an idea. Love your apps.
    08-02-10 01:50 AM
    Guess I'll be purchasing a new app.....FileScout. They just sent me a promo code for 20% off if I order within the next 4 days.
    Guess I'll jump on it. With them steady pushing out updates, and File Manager Pro sitting back on their hands, I guess it's time for a change.[/QUOTE]

Great review ★★★★★ for you hard work..thnks
    06-26-13 01:39 PM
    Guess I'll jump on it. With them steady pushing out updates, and File Manager Pro sitting back on their hands, I guess it's time for a change.
    Great review ★★★★★ for you hard work..thnks[/QUOTE]

FileScout is the best

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    07-01-13 05:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD