So, now that the iPhone FINALLY has voice note capability (along with other features the Storm had when it launched,) all my friends with iPhones think it's cool to email me voice notes instead of just typing or calling. So here's my question:

Does anyone know how (or know of an app) to play an .m4a file on the Storm without converting it to an .mp3 directly? I already have AnyAudioConverter (click here to download...it's free and the best solution I've found) to convert .m4a files to .mp3 to put on the Storm for use with its media player, but I'm trying to find a way to just listen to these voice notes on my Storm on the fly. It's getting a little old waiting to get to my computer to respond to their voice notes...especially when most of the time they're telling me how vastly superior the iPhone is to BlackBerries...a thought that I'm vehemently in opposition to.

I'm thinking there HAS to be a way (or someone needs to invent it) to play an .m4a on the Storm.

Any help is appreciated...thanks in advance!
    06-22-09 02:45 AM
    Hi, I am able to directly transfer m4a files to my device and play them without any conversion necessary.

I usually transfer them through file explorer, so the BB internal memory and storage card appear as drives, and I just drag and drop files to where I want them to be stored.

The files I have copied across to the Storm are the same files that were created when the CD was imported into iTunes, so in 'principle' they should be the same format as those created by the iPhone.

I have never transferred audio files using DM, which may as a default try to convert them to mp3?

But as stated the Storm can play m4a files without conversion.
    06-22-09 03:33 AM
    Hi, I am able to directly transfer m4a files to my device and play them without any conversion necessary.

I usually transfer them through file explorer, so the BB internal memory and storage card appear as drives, and I just drag and drop files to where I want them to be stored.

The files I have copied across to the Storm are the same files that were created when the CD was imported into iTunes, so in 'principle' they should be the same format as those created by the iPhone.

I have never transferred audio files using DM, which may as a default try to convert them to mp3?

But as stated the Storm can play m4a files without conversion.
    That's weird. I've never been able to play m4a files. I just tried to play the file emailed to me on my Storm and after it loads and launches the media player it says "The media being played is of an unsupported format." I understand what you mean though about the principle...just can't figure it won't work...thanks for the heads up.
    06-22-09 03:40 AM
    i have the same issue... friends with Iphones send me voice notes and i cant listen to them
    10-20-09 10:17 AM
    Steve Jobs is the antichrist. My mom updated the software on her iPoop and she was stoked showing me how she could make folders for her apps now. If those phones are soooOooOoooOo superior, why are they always trying to catch up? When i updated to 5.0, for some reason a lot of my songs and ringtones wouldnt work anymore, which kinda burnt my grits, as i had a pretty sweet legend of zelda:link to the past ringtone that was one that wouldnt work. Something about protected media.
    08-16-10 11:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD