so from the latest blog it seems that the onyx (9020) will not have an optical trackpad!

WTH!? I don't wanna take the dive on my HUP and go to the onyx and then find out there is one coming out with an optical trackpad!

i know you can never keep up with the new BB's coming out and your pretty much SOL if u do end up getting a new BB and a better one comes out a few months later.. but i would expect a top of the line model to have the best toys included haha..

i also know the features still kick *** and the optical trackpad is a bonus.. but still..

inputs..
    06-17-09 03:08 PM
    i thought the same too!
    but apparently i read somewhere on cb earlier today that the trackpad is actually viewed as "cheap" technology for lack of better vocabulary...
    06-17-09 03:11 PM
    Kevin also mentioned that RIM is working on alternative navigation techniques. if they view the trackpad as lesser technology, or cheaper, I can't imagine what they would consider an upgrade! That should certainly be exciting.
    06-17-09 03:47 PM
    I don't know what the big deal is about a trackpad anyway. There's nothing wrong with the trackball.

The trackpad looks cheap to me as well.
    06-17-09 03:57 PM
    I don't know what the big deal is about a trackpad anyway. There's nothing wrong with the trackball.

The trackpad looks cheap to me as well.
    thats why the optical one would be better... but depending on what they type of technology they used then it would deem it cheaper technology i guess..

and yah i read that in the blog as well that it is a cheaper technology.. probably means newer and don't know the feed back of the users yet.. maybe.. possibly.. so they don't want to put it on a device that is considered an high end phone.. where as the 8520 is not a high end phone.. they wanna use something that's been in use for a while and they were able to make it better over time.. ; >

i think i answered my own question haha
    06-17-09 03:59 PM
    I just don't want to take the chance of having a nice phone like the Onyx and hating the navigation device... It would ruin the whole phone for me.

I've briefly used the trackpad on other devices and did not like it. Although that was a while ago, technology may have gotten better.
    06-17-09 04:19 PM
    so with this revelation, what the **** is the difference between the onyx and bold?! the screen, and camera?
    06-17-09 08:01 PM
    so with this revelation, what the **** is the difference between the onyx and bold?! the screen, and camera?
    Processor...app memory...size...
    06-17-09 08:23 PM
    BOLD--> 2MP Camera
    ONYX--> 3.2MP Camera

BOLD-->128MB Flash memory
    ONYX--->256MB flash memory

BOLD--> 3g
    ONYX--> 3g (possibly HSDPA+)

BOLD--> Nice design Wider is Better
    ONYX--> 8900 Design w/ bold Keyboard Beveled edges is Better

BOLD--> Chrome Sides
    ONYX--> Black Sides

Pick Your BB!!

lol but in all seriousness supposedly the bold is like the little brother of the ONYX fast but not as fast and strong but not as strong. If you use a lot of apps and worry about sluggishness go for the ONYX if you dont have a lot of apps and know how to manage then get the BOLD. There both great but the ONYX pretty much makes up for the BOLD's small shortcomings IMO (ex: camera and memory space)

Agree or disagree?
    06-17-09 09:39 PM
    BOLD--> 2MP Camera
    ONYX--> 3.2MP Camera

BOLD--> 3g

BOLD--> Chrome Sides
    ONYX--> Black Sides

Pick Your BB!!
    I'd love to see it in black, but the Onyx has been spotted in black and chrome.
    06-18-09 02:53 AM
    I'd love to see it in black, but the Onyx has been spotted in black and chrome.
    And it's been spotted with a optical trackpad...Wait that hasn't popped up yet on these sites.
    06-18-09 04:17 AM
    I've only owned two blackberries, one with a trackball. (Curve and a storm). I love the trackball and the fact that the phone is a smartphone. In fact, I prefer it hands down any day to the feature rich Samsung Saga that I also own. It's easy to navigate and in general I have been loving this curve for 2 weeks.

HOWEVER. In NO WAY shape or form is the optical mouse that's on the saga "cheap" or lesser technology.

Your trying to tell me that some mechanical rollers and a ball is less expensive and more advanced than an optical pad!? Get the **** out of here.

Anywho, on that note, I still prefer the trackball. Hated it at first but when I gave it a chance, it grew on me.

Curve > Storm > Omnia > Saga > 700WX > Q9M > 650 > Q

Waitin on the tour
    06-18-09 05:28 AM
    I kind of agree with Knowledge_6 in that I was also disappointed by the lack of trackpad. I mean, I know it's kind of dumb to gripe over, but I love the way the 8520 looks from the front. Plus if the Onyx IS a Bold replacement, doesn't it look a little cheap, comparatively speaking? I mean the Bold has a REALLY nice design, and I love the leather back, and how everything about it seems high class. The Onyx to me, just looks like a flashy 8900 with 3G. I'm not saying I dislike either phone, in fact I like both, but when compared to a Bold, I just don't see how this could be a successor. It just doesn't look like one. Of course this is all IMO, I am probably wrong, but I just don't think the styling compares. Thoughts?
    06-18-09 05:46 AM
    BOLD--> 2MP Camera
    ONYX--> 3.2MP Camera

BOLD--> 3g

BOLD--> Chrome Sides
    ONYX--> Black Sides

Pick Your BB!!

lol but in all seriousness supposedly the bold is like the little brother of the ONYX fast but not as fast and strong but not as strong. If you use a lot of apps and worry about sluggishness go for the ONYX if you dont have a lot of apps and know how to manage then get the BOLD. There both great but the ONYX pretty much makes up for the BOLD's small shortcomings IMO (ex: camera and memory space)

Agree or disagree?
    eh, the memory is a good jump forward, but thats really the only real selling poitn for me - camera is nice and all......
    06-18-09 08:08 AM
    Trackpad vs. trackball I was kind of looking forward to trying out that trackpad but at the end of the day the trackball does just fine and I'm getting a Driftwood either way when it comes out.
    06-18-09 08:41 AM
    The only thing I'm worried about with the track pad is will it loose its feel and colour after awhile? And I doubt that its going to be easily interchangeable.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-18-09 08:52 AM
    yea exactly!! i posted somewhere else about this... this looks more like the 3G curve, the 9300... the rubberized side buttons and all has resemblance more to the curve 8520 than the bold.
    06-18-09 09:44 AM
    And it's been spotted with a optical trackpad...Wait that hasn't popped up yet on these sites.
    06-18-09 02:15 PM
    Only one person caught that?!
    06-18-09 02:52 PM
    I caught it, but, being pretty new, couldn't remember if you were one of the lucky people who are testing the Onyx. If so, do you have the optical trackpad and what do you think of it?
    06-18-09 03:28 PM
    I caught it, but, being pretty new, couldn't remember if you were one of the lucky people who are testing the Onyx. If so, do you have the optical trackpad and what do you think of it?
    Nope, I don't have the optical trackpad. Just the regular trackball, which I sorta hate with a passion on this device. Very small IMO.
    06-18-09 03:38 PM
    eh cant get everything you want, dont mind the trackball
    06-18-09 06:11 PM
    I'm just looking at ausch's signature ... "OS: Something newer than yours." hmmmm...
    06-18-09 08:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD