Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • Garmin

66 70.97%
  • TeleNav

19 20.43%
  • Other (Please Specify)

8 8.60%
    I use Garmin and love it... any reason to switch to TeleNav? Thanks!
    12-23-08 11:10 PM
    i use garmin and love it too....i got Garmin for 79.99 and i believe telenav is like 120....i also plan on getting a newer blackberry when wi-fi comes out, so i think the garmin is the best bet
    12-23-08 11:12 PM
    If I didn't already have a Garmin Nav system, I'd get the Garmin Mobile for my phone. It works just as good as the Garmin Nuvi 660. Sometimes the 660 will respond faster but sometimes the Storm responds faster. But not a big difference, not like either will make you miss your turn or something.
    12-23-08 11:25 PM
    It's a no brainer for me. TeleNav doesn't have traffic coverage in my area. I just checked again since I knew they released the Storm version.

I will say that their web interface looks much more polished than the Garmin version, with the VZ Nav interface being the best of the three.

Price edge goes to Garmin. $79.99 device lifetime (confirmed as phone number to the same device type 9530, etc.).

A 2 year device life cycle cost for the Telenav or VZ Nav (at full price) would be just under $240.

I've done some extended reviews on VZ Nav and the Garmin.

One of the major selling points of the Garmin for me is the ability to show gas prices by grade. I can only use premium. With a variance of $.20-$.30 in a small area, you can say that the Garmin in my case has the ability to save me ~$12/mo. in gas prices (one fill up per week).
    12-24-08 07:12 AM
    So the Garmin web site shows the price as $99 .. where did you score the $79.99 price?
    12-24-08 07:18 AM
    12-24-08 07:23 AM
    Does anyone know if there's a way to view the tracking mode in 3D on the garmin. I have had both now and the only advantage of the telenav was that it had the 3D tracking which I can't find on the garmin. My brother has the garmin on his touch pro and when he views the map it goes right to the 3D tracking mode.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-24-08 07:46 AM
    Does anyone know if there's a way to view the tracking mode in 3D on the garmin. I have had both now and the only advantage of the telenav was that it had the 3D tracking which I can't find on the garmin. My brother has the garmin on his touch pro and when he views the map it goes right to the 3D tracking mode.

Ditto. Would love the idea of tracking. Also, Telenav comes with Pedestrian mode for walking, does Garmin?
    12-24-08 07:57 AM
    Ditto. Would love the idea of tracking. Also, Telenav comes with Pedestrian mode for walking, does Garmin?
    Yes. You can select Bicycle or Pedestrian modes as well in the Garmin.
    12-24-08 07:59 AM
    Have not tried Telenav.

I have a Garmin Nuvi 660 and downloaded the trial Garmin Mobile software.

Compared to the other car GPS units I have seen, the Garmin GPS units are head and shoulders (IMO) above the others when you compare maps, GUI and ease of use.

I am amazed with the functionality packed into the mobile Garmin software and, so far, the mobile software seems as fast if not faster than my dedicated car unit. For example, the phone seems like it is ready to use more quickly while my car unit is still acquiring satellites.

I was kind of hoping that I would be disappointed in the mobile software since I love my car unit so much. Unfortunately, the touch screen on the Storm matches the car unit GUI.

Now I have to buy the mobile software....
    12-24-08 08:09 AM
    So the BB maps ap and Google Maps are not worth the effort? Which if any has spoken turn by tun directions? Which if any has voice recognition? Any work with Contacts like BB Maps?

12-24-08 08:12 AM
    They all work with contacts.

Google Maps doesn't yet have GPS integration on the Storm.
    12-24-08 08:15 AM
    ok, I'll fess & say I have never used the Garmin Mobile although I do have 3 I am trying to unload. Does anyone know of a site (other than ebay or craigslist) that would be good to sell them? It seems not many have heard of them, unless they own a blackberry. Any help would be greatly appreciated at xmas time!
    12-24-08 08:15 AM
    I got Garmin a couple weeks ago on the Storm. It's my first GPS (excluding Google Maps on the Palm OS, doesn't really count). For $80, Garmin just works. It works well, it's easy to use, and very intuitive.

Though it's not perfect yet. Here are the areas of issue I have with Garmin:
    * Occasionally a route freezes. It will commonly unfreeze after a few minutes and recalulate the route. I've seen this twice. Ic ould be a tough thing in a congested city, where turns are rapid.
    * When using the Media player for music, while using Garmin, all is great...unless you have the Garmin volume on. Once the Garmin's voice informs you of an upcoming turn, the music pauses (as you'd expect). Though, the music never resumes. If you want the music, you have to navigate back to the "Now Playing..." app and manually un-pause. The other option is to keep the Garmin volume at zero, which will allow music to play through constantly while the Garmin silently navigates.
    * Not a gripe, but a request. On standalone Garmin models, you can update the UI and sounds with downloads. For example, you can add different vehicle icons (like trucks, sleds, or skateboards) and you can add different voices. I'd think that having the Storm connected to data, this feature would be a very reasonable option to add. It's more for aesthetics and fun factor, not for real functionality.

Neither of the issues I mentioned are show-stoppers. I really love this app and believe it's worth the money.
    12-24-08 08:16 AM
    ok, I'll fess & say I have never used the Garmin Mobile although I do have 3 I am trying to unload. Does anyone know of a site (other than ebay or craigslist) that would be good to sell them? It seems not many have heard of them, unless they own a blackberry. Any help would be greatly appreciated at xmas time!
    Try the marketplace on this site, but people will be skeptical of you since you have a low post count. Not any use to the Storm owners.
    12-24-08 08:19 AM
    So the BB maps ap and Google Maps are not worth the effort? Which if any has spoken turn by tun directions? Which if any has voice recognition? Any work with Contacts like BB Maps?

Google Maps is not yet utilizing the Storm GPS, AFAIK. Wasn't working for me. Would triangulate cell-towers, but not use GPS.
    BB Maps, works fine and it's free. The down-side is it's not very practical for safe-driving and navigation. You have to manually hit a "Next" button to move the map to your next turn, which is unsafe while driving. There is no spken directions on BB Maps or Google Maps. Neither has voice recognition, though the Garmin Mobile doesn't have voice recognition either. Contacts for BB Maps does not work (at least it didn't when I last used it 2+ weeks ago).

After deciding to keep Garmin Mobile, I uninstalled both Google Maps and BB Maps, as they are now redundent and less functional than Garmin.

Hope that helps.
    12-24-08 08:23 AM
    It's a no brainer for me. TeleNav doesn't have traffic coverage in my area. I just checked again since I knew they released the Storm version.

I will say that their web interface looks much more polished than the Garmin version, with the VZ Nav interface being the best of the three.

Price edge goes to Garmin. $79.99 device lifetime (confirmed as phone number to the same device type 9530, etc.).

A 2 year device life cycle cost for the Telenav or VZ Nav (at full price) would be just under $240.

I've done some extended reviews on VZ Nav and the Garmin.

One of the major selling points of the Garmin for me is the ability to show gas prices by grade. I can only use premium. With a variance of $.20-$.30 in a small area, you can say that the Garmin in my case has the ability to save me ~$12/mo. in gas prices (one fill up per week).
    how do you view gas prices in garmin mobile? thanks
    12-24-08 12:07 PM
    how do you view gas prices in garmin mobile? thanks
    From the main screen: Where To/Food, Hotel../Fuel/All with Prices.
    12-24-08 12:21 PM
    Garmin Mobile for BlackBerry - Turn your BlackBerry into a savvy navigator with Garmin Mobile
    Thanks!!!!!!
    12-24-08 12:53 PM
    Now does this only work on one number im assuming?? I mean me and my bro just got storms and is there a way to put it on both phones??
    12-24-08 12:53 PM
    Rumored to attach to your IMEI. The registration codes are contained within the download link you get. Way back when this was announced, the original poster, accidentally included a link to his unique download. It still showed up as a 7 day trial.

You'll have to make two $79.99 purchases.
    12-24-08 12:59 PM
    Shananigins, alrighty! I figured as much... Me and my family were talking about getting a garmin 660 or something like that for the car to share but if i can get garmin mobile i might do that... Although we did find a good deal on them at sams club for $199.99 for the 660's i believe!
    12-24-08 01:15 PM
    Which of the two has the better search feature (aside from gas prices by grade)? To give you an example of what I consider pretty good: If it were available yet, I would use Windows Live Search--easy access to pretty much everything I've needed.
    12-24-08 03:04 PM
    I use TeleNav, but I am on a Curve...
    12-24-08 03:18 PM
    I don't see many people that have tried the Telenav posting. I did have Garmin mobile and I loved it, however i did have to get my money back. The problem is when you are connected to a bluetooth headset the voice from garmin does not come through the headset or the phone, just stops....

I'm just going to use VZ nav untill they fix that, VZ nav is a good program too, i just like the interface better in garmin.
    12-24-08 03:38 PM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD