My Keyone starts to get slooow, and also a complete reset didn't help so much.

Unfortunately there is no replacement in sight. The keyboard of the Unihertz devices just doesn't make sense (like having the B below the J) and the pictures there seem to be even worse.

Having 6GB instead of 3GB RAM might improve the speed, so a Key2 might help but still is outdated. So is the Samsung S8 with the keyboard cover.
    Also the Key2 with Android 9 won't be able to record calls - a feature which I liked.

There are some keyboard phones but with 2GB RAM only:
    https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...486898057.html

Und there I found an interesting project for an USB-C keyboard attachment:
    https://github.com/Dakkaron/Fairberry

But nothing really convincing... So what would you suggest?
    ericvanh likes this.
    01-19-23 07:55 AM
    Erm... you did understand that I wanted to have something with a physical keyboard?
    There are no secure pkb devices on the market today.

You either have ancient semi-working BlackBerry stuff, or some Chinese kitbashers.
    My Keyone starts to get slooow, and also a complete reset didn't help so much.

Unfortunately there is no replacement in sight. The keyboard of the Unihertz devices just doesn't make sense (like having the B below the J) and the pictures there seem to be even worse.

Having 6GB instead of 3GB RAM might improve the speed, so a Key2 might help but still is outdated. So is the Samsung S8 with the keyboard cover.
    Also the Key2 with Android 9 won't be able to record calls - a feature which I liked.

There are some keyboard phones but with 2GB RAM only:
    https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...486898057.html

Und there I found an interesting project for an USB-C keyboard attachment:
    https://github.com/Dakkaron/Fairberry

But nothing really convincing... So what would you suggest?
    Look at what Family and Friends are using... try them out.

A lot depends on where you live... in the USA, it's important to get a phone your carrier supports.

Some markets owning an Apple devices might have it's benefits (shared services or pairing with other Apple products - iPad or Watch...), some markets a Pixel (a favorite here and great value) is a great option (others it not), Samsung is a solid non-Chinses brand. All these offer long support (Samsung you'd need to buy their higher end models for longest support - some here love the FOLD devices). The KEY to security with Android is staying updated and patched... that rules out Unihertz and BlackBerry devices, and some apps already not supporting Android 8.

Your Alibaba listing requires you to buy at least 3000 units... is that an option?

Dakkaron's build it yourself can be done if you have the skills... really would work with any smallish phone with some tweaking of the printable template. But as no one has really bothered to do it, and review how well or bad it works.... would seem cumbersome.

What is your markets plans for 5G or 3G phasing out?

By looking at what Family and Friends are using... it helps you get a phone that will work in your market and you have real people to assist you if you run into an issue.
    01-19-23 08:21 AM
    Erm... you did understand that I wanted to have something with a physical keyboard?
    ericvanh likes this.
    01-19-23 08:34 AM
    There are no secure pkb devices on the market today.

You either have ancient semi-working BlackBerry stuff, or some Chinese kitbashers.
    ericvanh likes this.
    01-19-23 08:44 AM
    Well then I stay with my Keyone.

The question is, if the Key2 with double RAM can make things faster or if some of the Chinese devices is useful.
    ericvanh likes this.
    01-19-23 08:52 AM

The question is, if the Key2 with double RAM can make things faster or if some of the Chinese devices is useful.
    All your PKB choices are poor to zero, like picking the best method of death when there's a simple easy solution to live a healthy normal life another 30-50 years.
    01-19-23 09:45 AM
    Dunt's answer was comprehensive, well intentioned and sincere; don't be snarky.
    01-19-23 10:06 AM

KEY2 is faster... can you find one that is in the price your willing to pay, and works with your network? But Android 8 is losing support by developers, so it's a downhill experience if you use apps.

Some find the Chinese devices "clunky"... but they are cheap enough to give a try to see if they meet your needs. And they do have a much newer OS running on them.

Either way you'll need to confirm BAND compatibility with your network/carrier.

Neither of your options allow for newer 5G technology.
    Neither of your options run anything close to current hardware specs.
    Neither of your options offer anything close to the level of Security a smartphone being used to to the full, should have. If all you need is a dumb phone - calling, texting and emailing of non-critical information, use at your own risk.

Thus why most have simply been forced to move on from the PKB... there are no viable options at this point. Most accepted that when OnwardMobility failed.
    01-19-23 10:28 AM

I don't find the Key2 to be that much faster. Somewhat faster, certainly.

One or two of the Unihertz models have gotten security updates, nothing like as frequent or as up to date as the Big Three though.

What I don't know is how much of the risk comes from the phone and how much from the way you use the phone. If you're careful with how you use the phone, does that make a Uinihertz or an old BB okay?
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and ericvanh like this.
    01-19-23 10:55 AM
    I'd be totally fine with the Unihertz devices if they didn't mess up the keyboard - the real reason why you would buy such an device.
    I never had the latest phone because I don't want to pay 600€ for a phone. The only new phone I bought was the Keyone when the price got a little bit cheaper, and it's lasting for about 5 years now.

I don't want to do any compromise on the keyboard just because the market is only focussing on the mainstream. Everyone who told me that he can type as fast via touchscreen was shown that this wasn't true compared to me typing on the Keyone.
    01-19-23 12:42 PM
    I'd be totally fine with the Unihertz devices if they didn't mess up the keyboard - the real reason why you would buy such an device.
    I never had the latest phone because I don't want to pay 600€ for a phone. The only new phone I bought was the Keyone when the price got a little bit cheaper, and it's lasting for about 5 years now.

I don't want to do any compromise on the keyboard just because the market is only focussing on the mainstream. Everyone who told me that he can type as fast via touchscreen was shown that this wasn't true compared to me typing on the Keyone.
    Security with Android phones only go as far as your security patch support window lasts. I also wouldn't invest in ANY phone that doesn't have 5G - and that has nothing to do with speed, it's about coverage.

You can buy a Samsung A33 5G for $283 or an A13 5G for $249, that come with 4 years of quarterly security updates.
    bbfanfan likes this.
    01-19-23 01:31 PM
    Security with Android phones only go as far as your security patch support window lasts. I also wouldn't invest in ANY phone that doesn't have 5G - and that has nothing to do with speed, it's about coverage.

You can buy a Samsung A33 5G for $283 or an A13 5G for $249, that come with 4 years of quarterly security updates.
    But no PKB, which seems to be his ONLY concern. Doesn't sound like a KEY2 would be an option for his budget. And now it seems he had already ruled out Unihertz due to keyboard.

So I'm not sure what he really wanted from CrackBerry.... just looking to vent maybe?
    01-19-23 01:44 PM

The keyboard on the Unihertz just requires a learning process. Then it's as familiar as the BlackBerry's. Didn't take so long time!

Skickat från min Titan Slim via Tapatalk
    01-19-23 02:25 PM
    You might laugh, but I did set my Keyone to 3G by default. The main reason was that I had better reception at my place and less interference with PC speakers. But also when places get crowded you have a more stable speed with 3G than 4G.

I wouldn't mind 5G though but my contract doesn't include it anyway in the moment and I'm also not in an urgent need for it.
    01-19-23 04:25 PM
    You might laugh, but I did set my Keyone to 3G by default. The main reason was that I had better reception at my place and less interference with PC speakers. But also when places get crowded you have a more stable speed with 3G than 4G.

I wouldn't mind 5G though but my contract doesn't include it anyway in the moment and I'm also not in an urgent need for it.
    Yes, but 3G is shutting down, and 4G doesn't have the same penetration as low-band 5G will have.
    01-19-23 04:31 PM
    So I'm not sure what he really wanted from CrackBerry.... just looking to vent maybe?
    Please do me a favor and ignore this thread before you assume that I have such a motive...

If a physical keyboard wouldn't be a main feature for my phones, I wouldn't have had the Keyone. So the reason I asked here is because I thought that people might know about other alternatives that I didn't find yet.
    The answer unfortunately seems to be 'no'.
    For an outdated phone and litte improvement the Key2 is not right the option for me, so I will continue using the Keyone as long as it is possible and switch to the Unihertz Pocket afterwards since it seems to be the best alternative, where you should be able to learn the keys. Between the Nokia E71 and HTC Chahca I also had the lowest row shifted in one position, so I hope it will work with the Unihertz too, although the key layout is a little more awkward.
    01-19-23 04:35 PM
    ...Dakkaron's build it yourself can be done if you have the skills... really would work with any smallish phone with some tweaking of the printable template. But as no one has really bothered to do it, and review how well or bad it works.... would seem cumbersome...
    I think Dakkaron basically did a fulsome review of his PKB attachment, in terms of cumbersomeness or not (from his perspective, if that counts).
    01-19-23 04:53 PM
    So what would you suggest?
    I'm sure I've mentioned elsewhere, and I bet I'm not alone, but the pixel 6a is just incredible for the price.

Just the other day I was about to take my KEYᵒⁿᵉ out and slap my Sim into it, a process that couldn't be resisted by a number of flagship including an LG v40 and a Samsung note10+, and I just couldn't bring myself to put this 6a down.

I've installed a medium-aged BlackBerry vkb on it, tho for the first few months I was testing out Gboard for all its improvements.

This is easily the best phone outside of BlackBerry I've ever owned.
    01-19-23 05:28 PM
    Please do me a favor and ignore this thread before you assume that I have such a motive...

If a physical keyboard wouldn't be a main feature for my phones, I wouldn't have had the Keyone. So the reason I asked here is because I thought that people might know about other alternatives that I didn't find yet.
    The answer unfortunately seems to be 'no'.
    For an outdated phone and litte improvement the Key2 is not right the option for me, so I will continue using the Keyone as long as it is possible and switch to the Unihertz Pocket afterwards since it seems to be the best alternative, where you should be able to learn the keys. Between the Nokia E71 and HTC Chahca I also had the lowest row shifted in one position, so I hope it will work with the Unihertz too, although the key layout is a little more awkward.
    I have a BlackBerry Q10 that I bought new in 2014 and used as my only phone from 2014 until 2021. I never had a data package and I never went on the internet with it. I only used it for calling, texting and sending-receiving pictures. All my internet browsing then and about 95% of it now is done on a laptop just as God intended. My Q10 didn't have an update in all those years and I never had any problems with hacking etc. I still use it on occasion and as recently as less than a week ago. I spend about 95% of my life in a triangle formed by Buffalo, NY - Pittsburg PA - Cleveland, OH.
    I bought a Unihertz Titan and it became my main phone in early December 2021. I love it. I knew it was 4G going in and if I had to buy another phone tomorrow, I'd buy the same phone. I do a lot of reading here and I believe 5G might be MARGINALLY better, but I'll save my money and continue to buy 4G phones because I believe after researching it, 5G is being pushed by the phone industry, and especially the Chinese, just to sell more phones. What 5G offers, I don't need. 7G is already being pushed!!! https://insidetelecom.com/after-5g-a...know-about-7g/
    I could fill this post with professional opinions from others in the communications industries that claim 4G will be a viable option in the US for at least 5 more years, and maybe longer.
    I have to constantly provide photographs of my work site showing detail and true colors and never once has anyone ever remarked about my providing "grainy" pictures or color hues that were off. Maybe if I was Ansel Adams I'd want another camera?
    According to some, Apple and Samsung aren't Chinese phones. That's a difference without distinction. Most of them are made in China by Chinese workers and I know, the Chinese government is so overawed by the innate goodness of Apple and Samsung that they would not dare to install any kind of spyware. Apple has spent most of the last decade involved in scummy behavior after scummy behavior on different levels but I'm sure no amount of money would allow Apple to even consider letting the Chinese do any underhanded thing to their phones ... because they are just so darned ethical.
    Unihertz is built in Shanghai, China and at least they are trying to be different. When you compare all their phones together it is quite an assortment. I've had my Titan for almost 14 months and I travel all over the area outlined above and not ONE time have I ever NOT been able to use my phone where any other phones did work. I am on different construction sites with other sub contractors and their helpers and we're all using our phones.
    The Barbarian harps on knowing his phone is secure because his livelihood depends on it. His situation demands security so the Titan is not for him. My Titan had one update about a year ago and I don't expect another one. Maybe a Pixel will get reception in all 250 rooms of the Biltmore House and my poor Titan will only get reception in 248 rooms? I think that's acceptable. The Titan security level is just wonderful for me and I have the physical keyboard I enjoy.
    My only gripe about the Titan is having to deal with Android. Android sucks.
    There are others here who have way more knowledge of all things "Phone", but I wonder if the Titan can be "rooted" and another complete operating system installed? That, to me, would be heaven!
    01-19-23 10:57 PM
    but I wonder if the Titan can be "rooted" and another complete operating system installed? That, to me, would be heaven!
    Thanks for your report. I think the Titan (or Titan pocket) might be an option for me if the Keyone doesn't work anymore.

I don't think that rooting on keyboard phones makes much sense, since Android is still not designed for physical keyboard. Also alternative Android versions like Lineage OS etc. aren't. So you might lose the support of shortcuts, etc. if the original software has some modifications for the keyboard.

I once had a HTC Chacha with a custom Android. There it wasn't so much difference since HTC did not make great modifications for the keyboard. I guess also Dakkaroons solution with the attached keyboard might not provide great extra features like shortcuts or type-to-search etc.

One keyboard phone that is designed to support Lineage OS as well as Ubuntu Touch and provides even 5G is the Fxtec Pro: https://www.fxtec.com - but it has a slider keyboard and is quite big.
    01-20-23 03:30 AM
    Thanks for your report. I think the Titan (or Titan pocket) might be an option for me if the Keyone doesn't work anymore.

I don't think that rooting on keyboard phones makes much sense, since Android is still not designed for physical keyboard. Also alternative Android versions like Lineage OS etc. aren't. So you might lose the support of shortcuts, etc. if the original software has some modifications for the keyboard.

I once had a HTC Chacha with a custom Android. There it wasn't so much difference since HTC did not make great modifications for the keyboard. I guess also Dakkaroons solution with the attached keyboard might not provide great extra features like shortcuts or type-to-search etc.

One keyboard phone that is designed to support Lineage OS as well as Ubuntu Touch and provides even 5G is the Fxtec Pro: https://www.fxtec.com - but it has a slider keyboard and is quite big.
    If you appreciate a descent camera then the Titan Slim is the better choice. It's remarkably better than the Pocket.

Skickat från min Titan Slim via Tapatalk
    01-20-23 05:16 AM
    I knew it was 4G going in and if I had to buy another phone tomorrow, I'd buy the same phone. I do a lot of reading here and I believe 5G might be MARGINALLY better, but I'll save my money and continue to buy 4G phones because I believe after researching it, 5G is being pushed by the phone industry
    Yeah even mainstream tech review celebrity guys are now admitting 5g kinda dropped the ball. I do get a mild form of relaxation when I think about how my 6a is almost guaranteed to be good for years. But I do admit I'm tempted more and more to give a Titan Slim a try: it's been reported by at least one forum-er here to have the best pkb he's ever felt; even better than a k2, which is saying a lot! Now I just need to come across a few hundred bucks laying around in a pocket of some old jeans or somn hehe ������
    01-20-23 08:53 AM
    Part of what made BlackBerry interesting back in the day was the integration of the product to deliver a superior experience. A proprietary experience with a licensed OEM version available offers flexibility. I own a Pixel 5a plus a Galaxy A13 5G for comparison purposes. The Pixel "a" offers proprietary integration advantages that Galaxy A1x series doesn't show up as quick, if ever, with.

In that sense, all that's lacking is a PKB and the VKB Pixel "a" series has shown me that I'd enjoy a PKB version but I don't really need it anymore.
    01-20-23 09:00 AM
    Part of what made BlackBerry interesting back in the day was the integration of the product to deliver a superior experience. A proprietary experience with a licensed OEM version available offers flexibility. I own a Pixel 5a plus a Galaxy A13 5G for comparison purposes. The Pixel "a" offers proprietary integration advantages that Galaxy A1x series doesn't show up as quick, if ever, with.

In that sense, all that's lacking is a PKB and the VKB Pixel "a" series has shown me that I'd enjoy a PKB version but I don't really need it anymore.
    01-20-23 09:00 AM
    I knew it was 4G going in and if I had to buy another phone tomorrow, I'd buy the same phone. I do a lot of reading here and I believe 5G might be MARGINALLY better, but I'll save my money and continue to buy 4G phones because I believe after researching it, 5G is being pushed by the phone industry, and especially the Chinese, just to sell more phones. What 5G offers, I don't need.
    Yeah even mainstream tech review celebrity guys are now admitting 5g kinda dropped the ball.
    5G is not about download speed, it's about coverage. 3G penetrates far deeper than 4G. With 3G being shut down, the only 'replacement' for it is the ongoing deployment of low-band 5G.

5G is also about allowing more connections. As 4G circuits are nearing total saturation, this is going to be a big issue going forward.
    01-20-23 10:34 AM
133 123 ...