I was on ATT. Moved to TMO last fall when ATT announced end of support. TMO was great with the K2 until I moved offices and coverage was non-existent at work.

Between that and the lack of security, I moved to a Pixel 6 pro. It works fine. Except for communicating and issues without a headset jack. I largely worked around the latter issue. But I still cannot effectively type on glass. My speed is basically half what it was. The dictation app is actually quite good. It is not truly useful for my day to day.

I tried to quit cold turkey. So I have not fired up the K2 in several months.

Now thinking about dual carry.
    Are their security concerns doing that. Basically carrying the K2 as wifi only?

I know I am prolonging the agony. But glass typing is definitely less than half full.
    AAByron likes this.
    07-24-22 06:34 PM
    I was on ATT. Moved to TMO last fall when ATT announced end of support. TMO was great with the K2 until I moved offices and coverage was non-existent at work.

Between that and the lack of security, I moved to a Pixel 6 pro. It works fine. Except for communicating and issues without a headset jack. I largely worked around the latter issue. But I still cannot effectively type on glass. My speed is basically half what it was. The dictation app is actually quite good. It is not truly useful for my day to day.

I know I am prolonging the agony. But glass typing is definitely less than half full.
    If a phone contains personal data and has an internet connection, it is vulnerable.

You are using the vkb wrong if your typing has worsened in any way whatsoever.

Just type very quickly, don't fuss about each letter and let the autocorrect do the work.

In a large-scale study, US vkb users have an average typing rate of 46 wpm with 2.3 uncorrected words per 100.

And 75% of people make less than 3.07 uncorrected errors per 100 words.
    Last edited by conite; 07-24-22 at 07:45 PM.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-24-22 07:27 PM
    ...Just type very quickly, don't fuss about each letter and let the autocorrect do the work...
    Not sure that works well for everyone. Although the auto correct did fix a few errors for me in this post for example, I also had a VKB induced error that I had to then go back and fix before posting.
    AAByron likes this.
    07-24-22 07:57 PM

I think what conite is saying, and it took me a long time adjusting, is to change your typing style. I fumbled around my own way and I was back to normal speed but it took more than 6 months for me as well.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-24-22 08:36 PM
    I think what conite is saying, and it took me a long time adjusting, is to change your typing style. I fumbled around my own way and I was back to normal speed but it took more than 6 months for me as well.
    Do you use swipe typing? That's what I use. I just quickly slide my finger across the VKB, and it usually works without errors.
    07-24-22 09:44 PM
    If a phone contains personal data and has an internet connection, it is vulnerable.

You are using the vkb wrong if your typing has worsened in any way whatsoever.

Just type very quickly, don't fuss about each letter and let the autocorrect do the work.

In a large-scale study, US vkb users have an average typing rate of 46 wpm with 2.3 uncorrected words per 100.

And 75% of people make less than 3.07 uncorrected errors per 100 words.
    While I might do doing it "wrong," that is besides the point. If I have been using the Pixel exclusively for roughly six months (and I have a Moto as a backup), I should be up to speed by now. I find - almost without fail - that when attempting to type an "m" I hit "backspace" I am left with all manner of mismatched words that are not auto corrected. I also find that switching screens for characters is clunky at best. I also have issues with I vs O, E vs W, and A vs S although not as common. On a PKB, I never had the issue.

And to be clear, I do not care what studies show. I can only speak to my experience. I previously used my phone for most email traffic. Now, more often I go to a desktop. THAT makes the typing a lot faster. But having to be at a desk ...

I am still considering dual carry. Since I will only use the K2 for email - there is no reason to have a bunch of apps and vulnerabilities. Yes, I know, I am dithering. But this glass typing is nuts.
    AAByron and bibbula like this.
    07-24-22 09:50 PM
    And to be clear, I do not care what studies show. I can only speak to my experience. I previously used my phone for most email traffic. Now, more often I go to a desktop. THAT makes the typing a lot faster. But having to be at a desk ...
    If it's possible for 75% of people to have 3 wrong words per hundred or less, it's possible for you too. Maybe you need to retrain your keyboard because you loaded it with bad habits.

I am still considering dual carry. Since I will only use the K2 for email - there is no reason to have a bunch of apps and vulnerabilities. Yes, I know, I am dithering. But this glass typing is nuts.
    You asked the question about security, and I provided the answer. Sounds like you didn't really care to begin with, so not sure why you brought it up.
    07-24-22 09:58 PM
    While I might do doing it "wrong," that is besides the point. If I have been using the Pixel exclusively for roughly six months (and I have a Moto as a backup), I should be up to speed by now. I find - almost without fail - that when attempting to type an "m" I hit "backspace" I am left with all manner of mismatched words that are not auto corrected. I also find that switching screens for characters is clunky at best. I also have issues with I vs O, E vs W, and A vs S although not as common. On a PKB, I never had the issue.

Have tried resizing your keyboard? Lots to play with there.
    07-24-22 10:25 PM
    Unless - I am in the 25%.
    And, I did want the answer. I suspect that since I have a LOT of other folks' private information, I will be forced to stay on the Pixel. Not remotely happy about it, but it is a necessity.

I was trying to talk myself into it being safe "enough" but I am no longer certain. I took note of your response to the quantification email if you want to know. It feels like seatbelts - they are only truly effective when used all the time. Phone security feels the same. I do not have the luxury of using the phone I want. I need to protect client data. Period.
    07-24-22 10:33 PM
    Have tried resizing your keyboard? Lots to play with there.
    I did try the double sized samsung product (I forget the name). That was good. But crazy expensive. I found the pixel to be the best overall balance. We will see. Its strength should be longevity.

On the Pixel itself, I tried several different KB variations. Swiftkey, BB, Gboard and some others. Using Gboard at the moment.
    07-24-22 10:37 PM
    I did try the double sized samsung product (I forget the name). That was good. But crazy expensive. I found the pixel to be the best overall balance. We will see. Its strength should be longevity.

On the Pixel itself, I tried several different KB variations. Swiftkey, BB, Gboard and some others. Using Gboard at the moment.
    I'm using GBoard and in settings, preferences you can choose the height of the keyboard. That is what I was referring to.
    07-24-22 10:48 PM

SwiftKey will adapt to where you tend to hit the keys - just like the BlackBerry vkb keyboard did.
    07-24-22 11:21 PM
    Dual carry since 2015 here. Most of that time using a decidedly insecure PKB typing appliance. Bold 9900 till Pocket. NOT an approach to be taken lightly. Especially with client, coworker, family, etc contact info. Extreme diligence demanded. Habitual diligence.

Also, NO thing you wouldn't broadcast over prime time global news gets said OR read over the insecure typing appliance. Very limiting. That's life.

In MY case, much typing gets generated on Bold/Pocket and transfered to be emailed from a secure device. An iOS device. I justify that effort by virtue of Bold and Pocket affording double zero error production. MY work simply can't tolerate a 3% error rate. Nor even 0.03%.. ZERO error is the ONLY tolerance. No matter how long it takes.

Even if my PKB typing appliance afforded only half of iOS production, i'd still readily justify the trouble. A single character terminal block error among thousands of words can prove catastrophic. Potentially life threatening. As ONE example.

My usecase represents very tiny userbase. But essential to MY daily production.. And i'm not about to publicize much of strategy and tactic. Just be very, VERY cautious with client data.

One option i'm contemplating is fitting a PKB to a secure slab. Maybe worth consideration?
    AAByron likes this.
    07-24-22 11:33 PM
    Dual carry since 2015 here. Most of that time using a decidedly insecure PKB typing appliance. Bold 9900 till Pocket. NOT an approach to be taken lightly. Especially with client, coworker, family, etc contact info. Extreme diligence demanded. Habitual diligence.

Also, NO thing you wouldn't broadcast over prime time global news gets said OR read over the insecure typing appliance. Very limiting. That's life.

In MY case, much typing gets generated on Bold/Pocket and transfered to be emailed from a secure device. An iOS device. I justify that effort by virtue of Bold and Pocket affording double zero error production. MY work simply can't tolerate a 3% error rate. Nor even 0.03%.. ZERO error is the ONLY tolerance. No matter how long it takes.

Even if my PKB typing appliance afforded only half of iOS production, i'd still readily justify the trouble. A single character terminal block error among thousands of words can prove catastrophic. Potentially life threatening. As ONE example.

My usecase represents very tiny userbase. But essential to MY daily production.. And i'm not about to publicize much of strategy and tactic. Just be very, VERY cautious with client data.

One option i'm contemplating is fitting a PKB to a secure slab. Maybe worth consideration?
    Cue Spartacus...
    07-24-22 11:41 PM
    Not sure that works well for everyone. Although the auto correct did fix a few errors for me in this post for example, I also had a VKB induced error that I had to then go back and fix before posting.
    Have been experimenting with the "it will break as soon as you touch it" iPhone. I find that it is useless for touch typing, that is NOT looking at the screen whilst using under the table in the middle of meetings. And I also find the suggestions for words to be woefully simple. For example, I want to type "disingenuous" and it suggests "disinterested".

I also find that not all applications allow for the app to be used in a landscape position. Landscape is more ideal for me given the size of my hands/thumbs.

Now it might that I have not used the keyboard sufficiently for it to understand my vocabulary. Or that I have not taken the time to teach the App. Although, I have never actively taught the BB....

Yet, in the end, the switch will be forced as the BB will stop working...So, just have to move on and downgrade.
    AAByron likes this.
    07-25-22 12:19 AM
    Have been experimenting with the "it will break as soon as you touch it" iPhone. I find that it is useless for touch typing, that is NOT looking at the screen whilst using under the table in the middle of meetings. And I also find the suggestions for words to be woefully simple. For example, I want to type "disingenuous" and it suggests "disinterested".

I also find that not all applications allow for the app to be used in a landscape position. Landscape is more ideal for me given the size of my hands/thumbs.

Now it might that I have not used the keyboard sufficiently for it to understand my vocabulary. Or that I have not taken the time to teach the App. Although, I have never actively taught the BB....

Yet, in the end, the switch will be forced as the BB will stop working...So, just have to move on and downgrade.
    Still steep in iOS dual carry for about 18months now. Typing is simply no priority for them, imo. Little shock since Apple themselves has enjoyed reputation for graphics prioritization, historically. Afaik. Heck, first Apple "kit" i assisted a friend with sometime mid 70's didn't even include a keyboard! Lol.

Been playing with iOS slide type. I find it engaging in ways reminiscent of what ever Pearl's system was called? Imo. Swiftkey works slightly better than QP, imo.. Compellingly fast for certain correspondence. Imo Vocabulary learing curve too frequently exceeds MY patience, tho. Especially for days focused on SOooo many one off nomenclature, acronyms, ... Or CNC coordinates, vectors, etc as ONE example... Where a single character interpretation error might prove very problematic.

Also, I've suffered eye strain focusing on what "it" is typing.. After a few hrs. Too frequently i acquiesce to "suggested" vocabulary, sentence structure, paragraph structure, etc. To regret later..?

I just resent demands to look while typing. Old highschool typing teacher once admonished with back toward class: "Steve, must you look at your tongue to speak?". How DID she know? Lol.

Then, of course, slide type while feeding face over breakfast? Lmao. ... Pocket please... lol
    playfoot likes this.
    07-25-22 07:31 AM

I type "dising" and disingenuous is suggested to me...

Apps flipping to landscape position? I don't know which are your issues. I use my iPad mostly in Landscape and the main Apps I use (WhatsApp, iMessage, MS Office, Zoom, Slack, Teams, Two email clients and several Browsers...) all work in Landscape just fine. I do have a local banking app that only does portrait, if you flip to landscape it still show the app in a small portrait frame - but that's on the "weak" developer not iOS. As it happens both in iOS and Android.
    07-25-22 07:50 AM
    I type "dising" and disingenuous is suggested to me...

Apps flipping to landscape position? I don't know which are your issues. I use my iPad mostly in Landscape and the main Apps I use (WhatsApp, iMessage, MS Office, Zoom, Slack, Teams, Two email clients and several Browsers...) all work in Landscape just fine. I do have a local banking app that only does portrait, if you flip to landscape it still show the app in a small portrait frame - but that's on the "weak" developer not iOS. As it happens both in iOS and Android.
    That's good to know. I just got an iPad and my GPS app (MotionX GPS) only gives a phone display, rather disappointing. I'll try it in portrait mode.
    07-25-22 08:06 AM

Hate typing on glass, but was given no choice by the Big 3 in the US...so now I text a lot less.

Apathy meet Despair.
    07-25-22 03:29 PM
    > But this glass typing is nuts.[/QUOTE]

The vkb is so awful, I don't even bother to fix all the many typos in my personal texts and emails, I send them out AS IS.

And there is no $ key on the vkb, unless I switch Symbols...no $ key!....arrghh!
    07-25-22 03:43 PM
    Do you use swipe typing? That's what I use. I just quickly slide my finger across the VKB, and it usually works without errors.
    I've gotten better with swipe typing
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-25-22 06:15 PM
    > But this glass typing is nuts.
    The vkb is so awful, I don't even bother to fix all the many typos in my personal texts and emails, I send them out AS IS.

And there is no $ key on the vkb, unless I switch Symbols...no $ key!....arrghh![/QUOTE]It depends on the keyboard. On SwiftKey, a long press reveals multiple currency symbols. Trying, and failing, to move on.-screenshot_20220725-192117.jpg
    07-25-22 06:22 PM
    SwiftKey will adapt to where you tend to hit the keys - just like the BlackBerry vkb keyboard did.
    Although I own a PRIV, I never really used the vkb. Sure, for one word responses, but nothing more lengthy than that. My use of BB was attached to the Moto - back when I was using BB apps for everything. I used the BB launcher (I think) at that time too.

I have since moved over to using NINE and google for things. The BB apps are no longer even on my phone.

I never found even the BB vkb to be intuitive.

From time to time i look around for suggestions online. The consensus is gboard or swiftkey. I am no position to judge any of them other than by trial and (repeated) errors.

As noted above, the voice typing is actually pretty good. But no help with proper nouns, legal terms or industry terms. As a result, it is somewhat limiting. I find it is easier to correct manual typing as voice typing inserts an actual word - thus not having a highlighted term to see.

None of this is great. But my question was answered. In a different thread, but answered nonetheless.
    07-25-22 06:25 PM
    I've gotten better with swipe typing
    I try to swipe type. It works to an extent. At one point I did disable the function as I was getting errors. I am getting better not touching the keyboard between presses.
    07-25-22 06:27 PM
    I try to swipe type. It works to an extent. At one point I did disable the function as I was getting errors. I am getting better not touching the keyboard between presses.
    This was the kind of changes and technique differences I was referring to in earlier post.

My wife refers to it like driving my big SUVs as if still driving a modified 5.0 with the same expectations. The first 18 months of iPhone and VKB, I was still using a KEYone some. When I switched to just VKB, I noticed a more dramatic change as mental flow changed adaptively..

I used a BB PKB in some iteration, 15+ years. That's a lot of technique unlearning. Others that started later on VKBs in 2007-2010 era seem to have adapted far better than me so I assume it's simple a matter of time.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-25-22 06:41 PM
37 12