My original bb10 classic finally died ...and trying to restore a backup to another classic i kept around just in case. Restore button is greyed out in link. I tried changing the phone name to match the backup but no luck. My phone has been reliable for so long I haven't had to dig into much so a little rusty. What am I missing?
    06-23-22 06:09 PM
    My original bb10 classic finally died ...and trying to restore a backup to another classic i kept around just in case. Restore button is greyed out in link. I tried changing the phone name to match the backup but no luck. My phone has been reliable for so long I haven't had to dig into much so a little rusty. What am I missing?
    BlackBerry servers shut down last January. BBID authentication is no longer possible, so Link doesn't work anymore.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-23-22 06:20 PM
    Link can make a backup but not restore? I don't believe link needs the bb servers to backup or restore as I can restore from other phones / older backups through link so that is not the issue? Is there another workaround or someway to restore a phone from a backup?
    Last edited by boldxtc; 06-23-22 at 07:51 PM.
    06-23-22 07:05 PM
    Link can make a backup but not restore? I don't believe link needs the bb servers to backup or restore as I can restore from other phones / older backups through link so that is not the issue? Is there another workaround or someway to restore a phone from a backup?
    You cannot restore a backup to another device. The end.

Link backups are encoded to work only with a device with the same BBID. Since there is no way of setting up a device with said BBID, you're out of luck.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-23-22 08:08 PM
    OK, and what about making new backup and restoring it to other phone without BB link. Is there any solution ? Something like bit to bit copy of phone. Or at least some more convenient way to move data then copy them thru SDcard. Also copy of phone settings, would be great. Where those stored? Is that part of memory accessible somehow ?
    06-24-22 07:10 AM
    OK, and what about making new backup and restoring it to other phone without BB link. Is there any solution ? Something like bit to bit copy of phone. Or at least some more convenient way to move data then copy them thru SDcard. Also copy of phone settings, would be great. Where those stored? Is that part of memory accessible somehow ?
    No... it's all part of their security.

Ultimate Backup is the most comprehensive solution there is (at this point without the BBID system in place)... but it doesn't really dig into device settings, just the basic data.
    Laura Knotek and Kenaiwolf like this.
    06-24-22 11:37 AM