Hi, I'm about to buy an almost new, unlocked BB Torch 9860, because I can. I understand that all Blackberry services for this OS 7.x have long been shutdown.

I'd like to know what is still working on these devices, eg. what browsers can be installed, specifically what Opera version, and what apps are still working or can be used by installing newer versions from external sources.

Another option I was considering is the 9810, but it seems they are almost identical in features. I'm not convinced about the sliding keyboard, and they have almost the same price. Any suggestions about the pros and cons from this phone are welcome. Thanks!
    06-17-22 10:08 AM
    Check out this thread, as it pretty well sums it up https://forums.crackberry.com/showth...1#post13639049

And another good @Lex24 post you might want to look at is https://forums.crackberry.com/showth...1#post13631827

Note sure why Shuswap closed his account again, but his site http://darkstar.x10host.com/nibble/browser.html has most the info that can still be found, but you find a lot of it no longer applies or works.

But there is no installing newer versions of apps from other sources... BBOS is a different OS than anything else.
    Last edited by Dunt Dunt Dunt; 06-17-22 at 02:27 PM.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-17-22 02:13 PM
    Hi, I'm about to buy an almost new, unlocked BB Torch 9860, because I can. I understand that all Blackberry services for this OS 7.x have long been shutdown.

I'd like to know what is still working on these devices, eg. what browsers can be installed, specifically what Opera version, and what apps are still working or can be used by installing newer versions from external sources.

Another option I was considering is the 9810, but it seems they are almost identical in features. I'm not convinced about the sliding keyboard, and they have almost the same price. Any suggestions about the pros and cons from this phone are welcome. Thanks!
    Is there a carrier you're thinking of trying this on? Or is it only going to be Wi-Fi connected?
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-17-22 06:17 PM
    Thanks, I'm checking out those links. Apparently, I can and should update to BBOS 7.1 using a firmware from any carrier, is that correct? Because I see a lot of carrier-dependant 7.1 firmwares around here.

I will be using it in Argentina where the 3G data network is pretty much active and there are no plans to phase it out. I wasn't told if the device is carrier-locked, so we'll see when the phone arrives sometime this week.
    06-21-22 07:14 AM
    Thanks, I'm checking out those links. Apparently, I can and should update to BBOS 7.1 using a firmware from any carrier, is that correct? Because I see a lot of carrier-dependant 7.1 firmwares around here.

I will be using it in Argentina where the 3G data network is pretty much active and there are no plans to phase it out. I wasn't told if the device is carrier-locked, so we'll see when the phone arrives sometime this week.
    There’s no longer BlackBerry data plans available so not sure that it really matters the firmware version being used since none of it’s current, it doesn’t really matter.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-21-22 11:34 AM
    I got my 9860 recently, unlocked and good as new. Unfortunately, Cloudflare's SSL certificate is not accepted by the browser, which rejects the connection as shown, therefore neither this site nor any other Cloudflare-served site works. Google-related https sites do work because they must be using a better SSL certificate, while Cloudflare provides a barely acceptable free one.

I did install Opera Mini 8, however it's a very basic browser that lacks JS and renders half of the content, as we all know. I wonder why they never launched Opera Mobile for BlackBerry, I remember using it in my Symbian S60 and it was a totally different experience.

Is there some way to contact the Crackberry site owner to request disabling of Cloudflare's HTTPS redirection rule? Browsing the site and the forums as guest in plain HTTP is not a security risk for anyone, and would give access to this site to millions of BlackBerry devices.
    06-29-22 09:34 AM
    Lol we are not disabling our security features. You just need to join a newer decade of technology
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-29-22 10:43 AM
    ... and would give access to this site to millions of BlackBerry devices.
    There are only a few thousand BBOS devices still in use.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-29-22 10:47 AM
    Lol we are not disabling our security features. You just need to join a newer decade of technology
    How about purchasing a decent, compatible SSL certificate from VeriSign?
    06-29-22 12:16 PM
    How about purchasing a decent, compatible SSL certificate from VeriSign?
    For what reason?
    06-29-22 09:39 PM
    For what reason?
    The "Unable to connect" error is caused by a free certificate from a new/unknown/untrusted vendor.

A paid certificate (from a recognized vendor) will allow browsing Crackberry on Blackberries with the installed certificate.

Here are the certificates included in my Torch 9860, most likely most of these will be available all the way back to BB OS 5 devices as well:

E.g. the GoDaddy certificate would allow browsing this site until 2034 just fine.
    06-30-22 06:47 AM
    The "Unable to connect" error is caused by a free certificate from a new/unknown/untrusted vendor.

A paid certificate (from a recognized vendor) will allow browsing Crackberry on Blackberries with the installed certificate.

Here are the certificates included in my Torch 9860, most likely most of these will be available all the way back to BB OS 5 devices as well:

[IMG=948x800]https://i.postimg.cc/x1hQ9fjN/new-1.png[/url]

E.g. the GoDaddy certificate would allow browsing this site until 2034 just fine.
    The cost of the certificates would probably exceed the benefit, unless you and others still using these ancient devices paid the bill.
    06-30-22 12:31 PM
    I'm using a Bold but hoping the procedure is the same: I downloaded the Opera Mini apk. What do I do now to install it?
    06-30-22 12:57 PM
    I'm using a Bold but hoping the procedure is the same: I downloaded the Opera Mini apk. What do I do now to install it?
    I don’t think android apps work on BBOS devices.
    07-01-22 12:12 PM
    I don’t think android apps work on BBOS devices.
    I certainly had the impression from the Dark Star Bold site that it is possible. Dunno.
    07-01-22 12:14 PM
    I certainly had the impression from the Dark Star Bold site that it is possible. Dunno.
    I think the Opera browser referred to earlier in the thread is a BBOS app rather than an apk.
    07-01-22 12:26 PM
    Android apps do not work on BBOS phones, period.

However, there was an Opera Mini version made for BBOS phones. I think it was a .jad or .jar file that you had to install.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-01-22 12:29 PM
    Thanks guys, light is beginning to break.
    07-01-22 12:34 PM
    Thanks guys, light is beginning to break.
    BBOS devices are now very restricted in their utility these days, they are now very old technology and whilst the pkb’s are great that really isn’t enough today imho.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-01-22 12:39 PM
    BBOS devices are now very restricted in their utility these days, they are now very old technology and whilst the pkb’s are great that really isn’t enough today imho.
    True, but for me the keyboard and music player aspect is sufficient.
    07-01-22 01:23 PM
    If it works for you that’s all that matters.
    07-02-22 05:54 AM
    BBOS devices are almost useless without BIS or BES.
    07-02-22 02:50 PM
    Bluetooth works, so I shoot stuff over to other devices when done. It's an added step, not a biggie for my use case. Useless as a communication device is probably true.
    07-02-22 02:56 PM
    Music on BBOS devices is surprisingly decent. Good headphones help.
    07-02-22 05:11 PM
    I think that’s what I said, just not as brutal.
    07-03-22 04:47 AM
29 12