Laugh if you will, but I feel I will at least have a few people here who are in the same boat. I've never typed more than a few words on a touchscreen device. If AT&T doesn't allow me to continue to use my KEYone and if I do not want to change carriers, I will be forced to get a smart phone without a qwerty keyboard. I primarily use my phone for typing. I don't play games or use social media apps. I email, text, and use my phone as a communication device. On some level, I feel I may be able to accustom myself to typing on a touchscreen if I am thrown into a pit of lions and forced to use one to get out. I'm mainly ranting to say that I don't want a phone that looks like everyone else's and I don't want my texting speed to be reduced to 25%. Thanks for reading/listening.

Edit:
    July 2022 - See my update on page 15.
    Last edited by bigballofyarn; 07-23-22 at 06:27 PM.
    03-03-22 09:50 AM
    No one is laughing.... it is sad.

That said, it's like my two year old granddaughter not wanting to eat carrots... few years from now and you'll wonder what you were worried about.
    03-03-22 10:01 AM
    If it's an AT&T KeyOne, then you shouldn't have a problem.
    03-03-22 10:13 AM
    If it's an AT&T KeyOne, then you shouldn't have a problem.

Lucky me bought it online. It is unbranded and unlocked.
    03-03-22 10:14 AM
    Lucky me bought it online. It is unbranded and unlocked.
    Then unless your PRD miraculously ends in -036, you'll be getting kicked off. Check your PRD and better prepare yourself
    03-03-22 10:20 AM
    Then unless your PRD miraculously ends in -036, you'll be getting kicked off. Check your PRD and better prepare yourself
    Darn. It ends in 001. Thanks.
    03-03-22 10:38 AM
    Darn. It ends in 001. Thanks.
    That's why I said "AT&T KeyOne". Unlocked is not the AT&T version.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-03-22 10:48 AM
    I am a touch-typist from years ago and can't get to grips with touch-screen typing, because you can't use all your fingers properly.
    bigballofyarn likes this.
    03-03-22 11:13 AM
    Anyone who needs a PKB can also just support the Q10 KB USB-C attachment effort, which if/when it happens will provide for a Q10 KB (USB-C ready, for any Android slab) as an attachment option. However, people need to get involved in that effort, if they want it to happen.
    03-03-22 12:03 PM
    I am a touch-typist from years ago and can't get to grips with touch-screen typing, because you can't use all your fingers properly.
    Which also applies to phones with physical keyboards, so what's your point?
    co4nd likes this.
    03-03-22 12:27 PM
    I'm mainly ranting to say that I don't want a phone that looks like everyone else's and I don't want my texting speed to be reduced to 25%
    Personally, I find that the feel of the phone itself plays a huge role in my typing. For ex, I love the vkb on my Priv, and easily use it 50 % of the time or more. The Note10+ was almost identically as wide, so that was nice, but the slippery glass back was terrible; this is one of my main reservations about getting a s22u. Surprisingly, I've enjoyed my moto g(7) play quite a lot, though it's narrower and not as square (the KEYᵒⁿᵉ I'm typing this on right now feels wide and luxurious after a week w/ the moto) which makes me think there's really maybe no clear cut formula for me. Just drop by a BestBuy or somn and handle a few devices for yourself.

As a side note, I've always loaded the BlackBerry vkb on every phone I've ever had - and it helps a ton!
    03-03-22 06:05 PM
    Personally, I find that the feel of the phone itself plays a huge role in my typing. For ex, I love the vkb on my Priv, and easily use it 50 % of the time or more. The Note10+ was almost identically as wide, so that was nice, but the slippery glass back was terrible; this is one of my main reservations about getting a s22u. Surprisingly, I've enjoyed my moto g(7) play quite a lot, though it's narrower and not as square (the KEYᵒⁿᵉ I'm typing this on right now feels wide and luxurious after a week w/ the moto) which makes me think there's really maybe no clear cut formula for me. Just drop by a BestBuy or somn and handle a few devices for yourself.

As a side note, I've always loaded the BlackBerry vkb on every phone I've ever had - and it helps a ton!
    I appreciate your input. Thank you.
    03-03-22 06:20 PM
    I am horrible at touchscreen typing too. Every other word seems to be a typo, auto correct must be off bc it fixes my correct words into its incorrect guesses, and even overriding it by retyping it causes a big fight between me and my keyboard. The blackberry keyboard app helps, but I mostly just use the keyboard phone to type. Q10 keyboard attachment would be fun to have, I think, but supporting the real-deal keyboard phone is better.
    03-03-22 07:00 PM
    I am horrible at touchscreen typing too. Every other word seems to be a typo, auto correct must be off bc it fixes my correct words into its incorrect guesses, and even overriding it by retyping it causes a big fight between me and my keyboard. The blackberry keyboard app helps, but I mostly just use the keyboard phone to type. Q10 keyboard attachment would be fun to have, I think, but supporting the real-deal keyboard phone is better.
    Typing on glass is less accurate, so that's no surprise.
    03-03-22 07:25 PM
    Laugh if you will, but I feel I will at least have a few people here who are in the same boat. I've never typed more than a few words on a touchscreen device. If AT&T doesn't allow me to continue to use my KEYone and if I do not want to change carriers, I will be forced to get a smart phone without a qwerty keyboard. I primarily use my phone for typing. I don't play games or use social media apps. I email, text, and use my phone as a communication device. On some level, I feel I may be able to accustom myself to typing on a touchscreen if I am thrown into a pit of lions and forced to use one to get out. I'm mainly ranting to say that I don't want a phone that looks like everyone else's and I don't want my texting speed to be reduced to 25%. Thanks for reading/listening.
    If you're willing to move from AT&T you can try the Unihertz Titan Pocket, or Astro Slide.
    03-03-22 07:25 PM
    If you're willing to move from AT&T you can try the Unihertz Titan Pocket, or Astro Slide.
    Thank you. The Unihertz Titan Pocket is definitely very appealing. My only attachment to AT&T is that it only costs me $20 per month for my line on a family plan. Additionally, my fear with leaving AT&T to use my choice of device on another network is that I may not be guaranteed service with them for very long if they follow in AT&T's footsteps.
    03-03-22 07:58 PM
    ATT has lost me. Several reasons. UHTP has worked flawlessly on TMo. No band 71 so coverage isn't so great as it could be. Far, FAR better coverage than ATT, tho.

No need to apologize or explain. We like what we like. SOME of us simply can't make peace with capacitive ANYthing. I myself have devoted extreme efforts. Is it that I'm just so slow on glass? OR, how many glass phreeks ever REALLY devoted skill set investment to max PKB experience? Idk.

I do know that users new to PKB really aren't likely to invest in the demanded skill set development. Possibly resulting in ever shrinking market potential?

Best us PKB phreeks can do to interest new pkb users in what pkb CAN offer. That involves relating and sharing experiences.

I started out 10 finger type by feel in HS. Skills that readily migrated to single thumb PKB handset typing. Truly wonderful skill set that affords typing while living life "in Motion".
    the_boon likes this.
    03-03-22 10:41 PM
    I moved from a KEYone to a Samsung Flip 3 Z in December and still struggle with typing on glass. Despite this, I miss the keyboard shortcuts even more. On my KEYone using the BlackBerry launcher, I had disabled the tab that slides out from the side of the screen with shortcuts to apps. Now I use it on my Flip all the time as a substitute for no keyboard shortcuts.

I will say that folding the Flip closed does bring almost the same satisfaction that I got from closing my BlackBerry Pearl back in the day.
    03-04-22 06:37 AM
    I just read the following:

"T-Mobile, which merged with Sprint, said it will fully retire Sprint's 3G network by March 31, 2022, Sprint's 4G LTE network by June 30, and T-Mobile's 3G network by July 1. Verizon said it will completely shut down its 3G network by Dec. 31, 2022. Cricket, Boost, Straight Talk and some Lifeline mobile service providers use the networks of AT&T, T-Mobile and Verizon."

So, it seems that leaving AT&T to keep my beloved BlackBerry would not even be a good decision.

My temporary solution, before deciding what phone to purchase, is continuing to text as usual while having people call my Google Voice #.
    03-04-22 07:38 AM
    Many here, I am certian, feel your pain. Have yet again been playing with an iPhone...Sheesh.

For what it is worth, I am certain THE button, yes THAT button that ends all life on earth is NOT a touch screen button, not a red coloured circle on a screen . It is a good old fashioned button. A button that clicks with definitive click and clear feedback....
    Ben xfg likes this.
    03-04-22 08:37 AM
    Many here, I am certian, feel your pain. Have yet again been playing with an iPhone...Sheesh.

For what it is worth, I am certain THE button, yes THAT button that ends all life on earth is NOT a touch screen button, not a red coloured circle on a screen . It is a good old fashioned button. A button that clicks with definitive click and clear feedback....
    While that old button still exists, rumor has it, there's now "app for that" and the nuclear football has evolved... ;-)
    playfoot likes this.
    03-04-22 08:42 AM
    My temporary solution, before deciding what phone to purchase
    Know exactly how you feel: ATnT dumped me in the middle of the day on Feb 4 of last year. Worked out because not only did T-Mobile allow me to keep using my Priv and KEYᵒⁿᵉ but they also saved us somn like $50 per month.

But of course, I've been living on borrowed time since, so I use the bb's every chance I get. Currently on the fence about an s22u but it's not looking too good lol
    03-04-22 08:43 AM
    I moved from a KEYone to a Samsung Flip 3 Z in December and still struggle with typing on glass. Despite this, I miss the keyboard shortcuts even more. On my KEYone using the BlackBerry launcher, I had disabled the tab that slides out from the side of the screen with shortcuts to apps. Now I use it on my Flip all the time as a substitute for no keyboard shortcuts.

I will say that folding the Flip closed does bring almost the same satisfaction that I got from closing my BlackBerry Pearl back in the day.
    Well, with a foldable phone...technically you're typing on plastic LOL
    boogywstew likes this.
    03-04-22 09:15 AM
    Know exactly how you feel: ATnT dumped me in the middle of the day on Feb 4 of last year. Worked out because not only did T-Mobile allow me to keep using my Priv and KEYᵒⁿᵉ but they also saved us somn like $50 per month.

But of course, I've been living on borrowed time since, so I use the bb's every chance I get. Currently on the fence about an s22u but it's not looking too good lol
    At least with the S22U you get a stylus to write on glass instead of typing on it...and all the other top of the line bells and whistles.
    It's no BB keyboard experience but it's better than most other slabs as long as you're okay with a gigantic heavy brick.
    boogywstew and michelle227 like this.
    03-04-22 09:16 AM
    it's better than most other slabs as long as you're okay with a gigantic heavy brick.
    Yeah that's giving me some real pause. I remember pulling the trigger on a note10+ specifically because of the left side power button and once I felt it at a BBuy I was surprised/relieved at how light it was. But of course s22u is back to heavy + traditional buttons. Honestly after this week om my moto g(7) play 😊 when switching to KEYᵒⁿᵉ it felt surprisingly heavy (course the Priv is even heavier, but I always forgive it for that design!) and I forgot just how much harder 1-handed texting is w/ pkb

The pen I may get more use out of, actually, because my job entails more planning/mapping/sketching now so that's a bonus.

But yeah the bill, size, and cost are all serious obstacles I'm back on the fence about.

To keep a balanced view tho, tbh when I first switched to the Priv (from an iPhone 5s, at the time) I do remember thinking "omigosh it is so big that I'm not 100% sure I can get used to this" lol
    03-04-22 02:00 PM
631 123 ...