I use a BBOS device and have FileScout file manager (v4.0.1.1). What would be the closest equivalent available for BB Classic? The main features are as follows:

a) integrated text editor linked to BB spell checker

b) ability to create, delete, rename, copy, paste and move directories and text files

c) all of the above done using keyboard shortcuts

d) available as bar file or on BB World (I can see that it is still working).
    01-04-22 01:03 PM
    I use a BBOS device and have FileScout file manager (v4.0.1.1). What would be the closest equivalent available for BB Classic? The main features are as follows..
    How about GhostCommander? It won't hit all those checks, but probably hits some. However, I'd be interested to know why you are interested in something like that for a BB10-Classic, specifically now in moving away from BBOS.
    01-04-22 01:08 PM
    However, I'd be interested to know why you are interested in something like that for a BB10-Classic, specifically now in moving away from BBOS.
    BB Classic is the last smartphone which has physical keyboard and the trackpad and I can use it without ever touching the screen. I'm allergic to touch screens.
    Last edited by Lex24; 01-04-22 at 04:01 PM.
    01-04-22 02:34 PM
    BB Classic is the last smartphone which has physical keyboard and the trackpad and I can use it without ever touching the screen. I'm allergic to touch screen technology.
    Presumably you are aware that it is also EOL, and should no longer be relied upon?
    01-04-22 02:47 PM
    "EOL" is just nonsense endlessly repeated in the mass media. I'm actually going to try to keep using my Curve 9320 with Opera Mini, Logic Mail and The Weather Network apps (they should all work w/o BIS on Direct TCP), but I'm not sure about Google Maps. If GMaps stops working then I have two Classics already setup, to make a quick switch-over if needed.
    Last edited by Lex24; 01-04-22 at 04:03 PM.
    01-04-22 03:37 PM
    "EOL" is just nonsense endlessly repeated in the mass media. I'm actually going to try to keep using my Curve 9320 with Opera Mini, Logic Mail and The Weather Network apps (they should all work w/o BIS on Direct TCP), but I'm not sure about Google Maps. If GMaps stops working then I have two Classics already setup, to make a quick switch-over if needed.
    Good luck.
    01-04-22 04:03 PM
    So far we have GhostCommander as a possible replacement for FileScout. I also tried Astro File Manager, it was available in BBW a while ago, but I think it didn't have integrated text editor. Any other suggestions?
    01-04-22 05:47 PM
    This is my selection for now, both file managers are available from BBW (which was still running all night EST):

Ghost Commander 1.51.0.1 (by Ghost Squared)

Total Commander 1.0.68.0 (by C. Ghisler)
    01-05-22 05:57 AM
    I tried out at least 5 different file managers on BB10 back in the day and ended up ditching all of them over time except GhostCommander. I also still periodically use it on Android. Total Commander was at on point one my list. There was also one named ES that seemed ok back then, although I am not sure if that is the one that others reported as having been later bought by a Chinese company (if that sort of thing bothers you).
    Last edited by spARTacus; 01-05-22 at 07:40 AM.
    01-05-22 07:01 AM
    I hope you’re right about the EOL stuff for your sake, you should have a backup plan though, if the worst was to happen to BB10 then it won’t matter how many backup Classics you have unfortunately.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you.
    01-05-22 12:58 PM