Hard to find these bar files
    That's the way it is. This is all we have:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...htmlview#gid=0
    11-21-21 03:02 PM
    It's an EOL platform....
    pdr733 and cribble2k like this.
    11-22-21 07:02 AM
    It's an EOL platform....

Wasn't HTML 5 and web apps supposed to save BB10 without workarounds?
    11-23-21 10:07 PM
    Any day now...
    cribble2k likes this.
    11-24-21 07:10 AM
    So what happened with that concept? How come it didn't materialize?
    11-24-21 06:53 PM
    So what happened with that concept? How come it didn't materialize?
    Because it doesn't help anyone.

Two apps cover 99.999% of all smartphones, and the experience is far better and more secure with real apps.
    Last edited by conite; 11-24-21 at 08:08 PM.
    11-24-21 07:15 PM
    Because it doesn't help anyone.

Two apps cover 99.999% of all smartphones, and the the experience is far better and more secure with real apps.
    Sure, in hindsight two apps now. However, back then wasn't it a concept of maybe zero apps to be able cover 100%?

For security, wouldn't patches be basically immediate and not actually require the user to have to manage updates?

For experience, I still see some mobile sites today that are fairly "app like". Is it safe to assume that if the concept took root, that it would have been able to vastly evolve and the experience today would also be very good? Lots of apps back then we're pretty crappy also were they not?
    11-24-21 08:03 PM
    Sure, in hindsight two apps now. However, back then wasn't it a concept of maybe zero apps to be able cover 100%?

For security, wouldn't patches be basically immediate and not actually require the user to have to manage updates?

For experience, I still see some mobile sites today that are fairly "app like". Is it safe to assume that if the concept took root, that it would have been able to vastly evolve and the experience today would also be very good? Lots of apps back then we're pretty crappy also were they not?
    Proper app notifications, biometric authentication, etc, etc is far better with real apps. You're also not stuck with TLS.
    11-24-21 08:08 PM
    Proper app notifications, biometric authentication, etc, etc is far better with real apps. You're also not stuck with TLS.
    All that stuff is more recent for in apps it not (relatively), and presumably evolution would have led to and allowed for all of that also wouldn't it have?

What do you mean TLS in this context?
    11-24-21 08:12 PM
    All that stuff is more recent for in apps it not (relatively), and presumably evolution would have led to and allowed for all of that also wouldn't it have?

What do you mean TLS in this context?
    It's not recent. Notifications have been huge forever.

Browsers use TLS encryption.
    11-24-21 08:13 PM
    It's not recent. Notifications have been huge forever.

Browsers use TLS encryption.
    I don't normally pay attention to site/app notifications much, but nowadays every site seems to try to get me to receive notifications. When one uses the FB site (as opposed to FB app) for example, I think it delivers notifications does it not?

What's the problem with encryption that is possible via browsers, vs encryption that is possible via apps?
    11-24-21 08:25 PM
    I don't normally pay attention to site/app notifications much, but nowadays every site seems to try to get me to receive notifications. When one uses the FB site (as opposed to FB app) for example, I think it delivers notifications does it not?

What's the problem with encryption that is possible via browsers, vs encryption that is possible via apps?
    Apps can create a FAR more secure connection.

Instead of just a single ambiguous notification via a browser, you can get multiple specific notifications from an app.
    11-24-21 08:27 PM
    Apps can create a FAR more secure connection.

Instead of just a single ambiguous notification via a browser, you can get multiple specific notifications from an app.
    I guess I don't know enough about how apps are developed, deployed, etc... in relation to how "code nowadays" in websites can be developed and deployed/hosted. I had the impression that almost anything that could be developed into an app could also be deployed/hosted within a site.

Isn't webview, upon which so many apps are based, basically just the same thing as a browser?
    11-24-21 08:31 PM
    I guess I don't know enough about how apps are developed, deployed, etc... in relation to how "code nowadays" in websites can be developed and deployed/hosted. I had the impression that almost anything that could be developed into an app could also be deployed/hosted within a site.

Isn't webview, upon which so many apps are based, basically just the same thing as a browser?
    Webview IS a browser. But the web content is just used by the app, within the app.
    11-24-21 08:46 PM
    What does webview use for encryption?
    11-24-21 08:51 PM
    What does webview use for encryption?
    If, as a developer, you choose to use Webview to access some web content, it uses the same encrytion as the browser - because Webview is a browser.

But web coding is not my area of expertise, so I can't go much further.

But real apps are faster, can access system resources for greater functionality, are vetted by app stores, are easier to build, and can work offline.
    11-24-21 10:35 PM
    If web based mobile sites had taken off more instead of apps, I assume that whole space would have evolved over the years quite a bit, and also brought with it lots of improvements. I am guessing there was a more advantageous business model in the apps and ecosystem approach.
    11-25-21 06:54 AM
    If web based mobile sites had taken off more instead of apps, I assume that whole space would have evolved over the years quite a bit, and also brought with it lots of improvements. I am guessing there was a more advantageous business model in the apps and ecosystem approach.
    But they didn't - because of their limitations.
    11-25-21 07:31 AM
    Way back when the device that fully kicked off all this app stuff, the original plan was for web apps, as stated by the guy in charge at the time.

Yeah, that was Steve Jobs on the iPhone.
    Even Apple couldn't force the world to web apps, it's unlikely anyone could.

I agree that native apps could be more capable and better than web apps, but I also think the majority of apps would work just fine as web apps if they took the time to design things properly and not be so preoccupied with sucking in user data.

Spotify is a very good example. I prefer the PWA to native app and I don't see any downsides to performance.
    Just do a Web search, there's several other examples where the PWA is so good, native apps are actually not the first choice.
    11-25-21 12:36 PM
    Thanks. I found your response to be informative.
    11-25-21 04:45 PM