I've had my keyone phone since it was first released. Over the past 6 months the battery has been draining much quicker and now only lasts a couple of hours at most before it dies. Should I buy a new battery (and where from?) Or is there another way to improve the battery life? Bluetooth is always on as it tracks my walks. Maybe that's a factor?
    11-13-21 02:00 AM
    I've had my keyone phone since it was first released. Over the past 6 months the battery has been draining much quicker and now only lasts a couple of hours at most before it dies. Should I buy a new battery (and where from?) Or is there another way to improve the battery life? Bluetooth is always on as it tracks my walks. Maybe that's a factor?
    I wouldn't invest any more money in your unsafe relic.

Take your money and move to a modern 5G device.

If you're on a tight budget, take a look at the Nokia G300 or Samsung A32 5G.
    11-13-21 08:28 AM
    I probably agree with you! Was holding out for a new Blackberry but no sign of that anywhere on the horizon. I did think about the Xiaomi phones (eg Redmi Note 10 Pro) as they are in my price range. And I'll look at the ones you suggest as well. Thank you.
    11-13-21 09:59 AM
    I probably agree with you! Was holding out for a new Blackberry but no sign of that anywhere on the horizon. I did think about the Xiaomi phones (eg Redmi Note 10 Pro) as they are in my price range. And I'll look at the ones you suggest as well. Thank you.
    Personally I'd stick to non-Chinese devices, namely Pixel, Samsung, Asus, Nokia, or Sony.

I wouldn't buy anything today without 5G.

In that price range, add the Nokia X10/X100 and the Samsung A52s 5G to your list.
    Last edited by conite; 11-13-21 at 10:18 AM.
    11-13-21 10:00 AM
    I like the sound of the Nokia X10. Will sus that one out.
    11-13-21 11:54 AM
    Swapping the battery is really easy on the KeyOne and it'll only cost you ten bucks. If you're still satisfied with the device, you may as well save some money and keep it going a bit longer.
    Frosty458 likes this.
    11-13-21 01:40 PM
    Swapping the battery is really easy on the KeyOne and it'll only cost you ten bucks. If you're still satisfied with the device, you may as well save some money and keep it going a bit longer.
    Or even as a backup phone, it's worth swapping out the battery.
    bh7171 likes this.
    11-13-21 05:29 PM
    Thank you. May well look at that option (eBay, I guess) as I do like my physical keyboard. But realise this device is getting quite ancient now.
    11-14-21 01:04 AM
    I’m not sure about $10 USD as the battery runs $15-20 USD plus another $15 USD for a repair kit. A repair shop will probably charge $20-30 USD if battery is provided by device owner. I’d estimate battery replacement $35-$50 USD which is reasonable if you already own a KEYone and will still be able to use another year. For me it would be a waste of money….
    11-14-21 06:52 AM
    I’m not sure about $10 USD as the battery runs $15-20 USD plus another $15 USD for a repair kit. A repair shop will probably charge $20-30 USD if battery is provided by device owner. I’d estimate battery replacement $35-$50 USD which is reasonable if you already own a KEYone and will still be able to use another year. For me it would be a waste of money….
    Sure, if you're a sucker, you can pay a shop $50 USD to get a new battery lol.

I try to give people still on CrackBerry in 2021 the benefit of the doubt and assume they aren't suckers, however.
    11-14-21 09:22 AM
    I wouldn't invest any more money in your unsafe relic.

Take your money and move to a modern 5G device.

If you're on a tight budget, take a look at the Nokia G300 or Samsung A32 5G.
    Instead of pushing every remaining DroidBerry user into a slab (which defeats the purpose of this forum still existing), why not suggest that they dual carry with an updated more secure device and use that for anything banking related, financial, camera, etc and keep their beloved (aging) PKB phone as a primary communicator?

That's what I'm doing now with the help of the Pixel 4a, so I can sleep at night knowing that critical data doesn't really touch the PKB phone.
    11-14-21 10:59 AM
    Instead of pushing every remaining DroidBerry user into a slab (which defeats the purpose of this forum still existing), why not suggest that they dual carry with an updated more secure device and use that for anything banking related, financial, camera, etc and keep their beloved (aging) PKB phone as a primary communicator?

That's what I'm doing now with the help of the Pixel 4a, so I can sleep at night knowing that critical data doesn't really touch the PKB phone.
    I don't beleive in dual carrying. I think it's both inefficient and cumbersome.

But if you wish to suggest that to folks, then by all means do so.

With regards to said solo device, my desire to point people to secure devices trumps my desire to point people to pkb devices.
    11-14-21 11:24 AM
    I don't beleive in dual carrying. I think it's both inefficient and cumbersome.

But if you wish to suggest that to folks, then by all means do so.

With regards to said solo device, my desire to point people to secure devices trumps my desire to point people to pkb devices.
    "desire" lol.

No one's life is getting saved regardless here.

Nothing financial/critical, no public WiFi, no sideloaded apk's, no fishy websites/downloads, no clicking on suspicious e-mails seems to be a doable solution to keep running an older KEYBerry in 2022.
    11-14-21 12:03 PM
    Nothing financial/critical, no public WiFi, no sideloaded apk's, no fishy websites/downloads, no clicking on suspicious e-mails seems to be a doable solution to keep running an older KEYBerry in 2022.
    If that's good enough for you, then fill your boots.
    11-14-21 12:06 PM
    Sure, if you're a sucker, you can pay a shop $50 USD to get a new battery lol.

I try to give people still on CrackBerry in 2021 the benefit of the doubt and assume they aren't suckers, however.
    Well, I'm counting on people having math, reading and critical thinking skills. If a battery is $15-$20 USD, repair tool kit is $15 USD, I don't see how paying $0-$15 USD for their professional experience and time is being a sucker. I mean even if you're flipping burgers at $12/hour, I don't see how you're coming out ahead buying everything for a one-time repair.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-14-21 12:18 PM

Most people on CrackBerry either already dual carry or have already moved on. The remaining users seem to be attempting to milk out every last drop from their single carry device for whatever reason. For those people, if they're not already getting a Unihertz PKB, for whatever reason, a 5G capable device really is the most honest and kindest recommendation since from a VALUE and NETWORK CARRIER SUPPORT perspective, offer several lower priced options.

It's absolutely ridiculous to believe that people on CrackBerry are here or won't be here because they've had to dump BlackBerry relics for whatever reason. We're all fans of the BlackBerry experience which sadly has deteriorated from both a hardware and software experience to almost zero.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    11-14-21 12:27 PM
    Most people on CrackBerry either already dual carry or have already moved on. The remaining users seem to be attempting to milk out every last drop from their single carry device for whatever reason. For those people, if they're not already getting a Unihertz PKB, for whatever reason, a 5G capable device really is the most honest and kindest recommendation since from a VALUE and NETWORK CARRIER SUPPORT perspective, offer several lower priced options.

It's absolutely ridiculous to believe that people on CrackBerry are here or won't be here because they've had to dump BlackBerry relics for whatever reason. We're all fans of the BlackBerry experience which sadly has deteriorated from both a hardware and software experience to almost zero.
    If usage drops to near zero, so will forum participation.
    11-14-21 01:18 PM
    If usage drops to near zero, so will forum participation.
    It's there already.

Most of the top posters here don't even use BlackBerry devices or pkb devices.
    11-14-21 01:31 PM
    If that's good enough for you, then fill your boots.
    If doing the above is still considered unsafe, then I'd like to know.

I used to not pay any attention at all to things like security updates and vulnerabilities. Now I do, which is why I invested in a 4a to accompany my PKB device.

Don't want to have unsafe usage, and don't want to get bored of a slab.

Only solution at the moment? Dual carry.
    11-14-21 01:43 PM
    Just go single carry with the Pocket.
    11-14-21 04:17 PM
    Well, I'm counting on people having math, reading and critical thinking skills. If a battery is $15-$20 USD, repair tool kit is $15 USD, I don't see how paying $0-$15 USD for their professional experience and time is being a sucker. I mean even if you're flipping burgers at $12/hour, I don't see how you're coming out ahead buying everything for a one-time repair.
    Repair tool kit? I realize I'm dealing with mostly boomers on this site, but what are you even talking about?

You buy the battery and then you remove the back cover with no tools or heat at all, then you use a Phillips screwdriver to remove a few screws and then you swap the battery.
    bh7171 likes this.
    11-14-21 07:44 PM
    Repair tool kit? I realize I'm dealing with mostly boomers on this site, but what are you even talking about?

You buy the battery and then you remove the back cover with no tools or heat at all, then you use a Phillips screwdriver to remove a few screws and then you swap the battery.
    I'm not a boomer, only 51 but I also don't keep much around in the way of small tools. I've never kept phones long enough to replace batteries since I can just buy another phone. I'm not worried about $20 though I couldn't find any $10 batteries. Post a link for $10 batteries as I'm sure it would help someone really desperate I'm sure.
    11-14-21 08:11 PM
    I'm not a boomer, only 51 but I also don't keep much around in the way of small tools. I've never kept phones long enough to replace batteries since I can just buy another phone. I'm not worried about $20 though I couldn't find any $10 batteries. Post a link for $10 batteries as I'm sure it would help someone really desperate I'm sure.
    First result on eBay for me is 15 CAD which is roughly 12 USD. I was off by 2 bucks.

I definitely think you're in the minority if you don't have a smaller Philips head screwdriver in your house though.
    11-14-21 08:20 PM
    First result on eBay for me is 15 CAD which is roughly 12 USD. I was off by 2 bucks.

I definitely think you're in the minority if you don't have a smaller Philips head screwdriver in your house though.
    In the US, the cheapest battery shows $15 and change USD and I don't take phones apart. Except for my 3 year old iPhone, the majority of my phones are replaced in 12-18 months usually.
    11-14-21 08:46 PM
    In the US, the cheapest battery shows $15 and change USD and I don't take phones apart. Except for my 3 year old iPhone, the majority of my phones are replaced in 12-18 months usually.
    Maybe you should refrain from chiming in on threads about such topics then if you're in the minority that's either too afraid or too incompetent to take apart their electronics
    11-14-21 09:47 PM
44 12