I was scrounging through my box and for some reason I decided to have another go with my Z10 for a few days. I can't explain it but it was a little exciting popping the SIM back into that phone.
    It's never been my favourite BB10 devices due to lack of physical keyboard, lack of FM radio and mediocre battery life. However, it may have been the most used of my BB10 phones until last year since it was very discrete (only BlackBerry fans would notice it wasn't the usual droid), the right size and still could just get through the day.

Well, still worked as I remember. Managed to get through a couple of days and do what I always need to do (single carry! No backup). Good to know it still works and still nice to use. But I did go back to my current daily, Passport, for the FM radio, battery life and also the 3.5mm jack had flaked out so it only works with basic headphones (i.e. No mic, no pause button, etc)
    10-07-21 04:24 PM
    There's 0 reason to use a BB that doesn't have a keyboard.

If you want a really compact slab, might as well grab an iPhone 13 Mini
    10-07-21 04:40 PM

Asus Zen Phone 8 is also a nice smaller Android option
    brookie229 and anon(10512033) like this.
    10-07-21 04:48 PM
    It's 148mm tall, not what I'd define as compact.

I'd say these days anything under 145mm tall could be viewed as that.

Right now I don't think the Android selection of those extends further than the Pixel 4a, 5, and Galaxy S10e.
    10-08-21 12:58 PM

If you want really small the Unihertz Jello is real small. Also the Unihertz Titan pocket is small and works ok, screen is too small for me. everything else about the phone is ok at its price point.
    10-09-21 08:59 AM
    Jelly or jello can't remember the name by Unihertz is tiny.
    10-09-21 08:59 AM

BB10 is still BB10 and if you prefer that OS, sometimes the VKB versions make sense. i.e. if I'm using it primarily for consuming video content

If I really wanted a compact iOS device, I'd just get an iPhone 6s, at least it still has a headphone jack plus it's way cheaper and still runs the latest OS version. I know, I have one.
    The latest iPhone mini's have no removable battery, no PKB, no FM radio, no headphone jack. Even if they not matter to other people, these are all still important features for me
    10-09-21 09:34 AM
    That this phone is now considered 'compact' nowadays is ridiculous. At least Apple still seems to grasp the idea to some extent.
    I have plenty of family & acquaintances who refuse to part with their iPhone SE's simply for the size

For real compact Android devices, I'd have to stretch back to the old Xperia compact series. I might consider putting up with the latest Xperia 10 III. At least they have proper headphone jacks!
    And they don't have any notch/punch-hole for the front camera which I consider one of the worst design abominations in recent years. Any phone that has that is a non-starter for me.
    10-09-21 09:45 AM
    BB10 is still BB10 and if you prefer that OS, sometimes the VKB versions make sense. i.e. if I'm using it primarily for consuming video content

If I really wanted a compact iOS device, I'd just get an iPhone 6s, at least it still has a headphone jack plus it's way cheaper and still runs the latest OS version. I know, I have one.
    The latest iPhone mini's have no removable battery, no PKB, no FM radio, no headphone jack. Even if they not matter to other people, these are all still important features for me
    Why use an old BB10 in 2021 with terrible battery life for consuming content when Android and iOS were designed for it?

Sure but that 6S has wasted space with those bezels, and an LCD screen and poor battery life. The Mini has a bigger OLED screen in a much smaller size phone, and with a better battery, especially the 13 Mini.

Only thing you're really losing is, well, the $699 for the phone and the headphone jack. But the benefits are worth dealing with a dongle, imo.
    10-09-21 07:03 PM
    That this phone is now considered 'compact' nowadays is ridiculous. At least Apple still seems to grasp the idea to some extent.
    I have plenty of family & acquaintances who refuse to part with their iPhone SE's simply for the size

For real compact Android devices, I'd have to stretch back to the old Xperia compact series. I might consider putting up with the latest Xperia 10 III. At least they have proper headphone jacks!
    And they don't have any notch/punch-hole for the front camera which I consider one of the worst design abominations in recent years. Any phone that has that is a non-starter for me.
    Notch/punch hole isn't nearly as terrible as those huge camera bumps on the back, or the lack of a damn LED notification light on the front when they can use any of the thousands of pixels to implement it.
    10-09-21 07:04 PM

You've been claiming that silly idea for years, and why we all understand that for you, BlackBerry means a PKB, you completely neglect the reality of some of us BB10 users who left the PKB behind in 2013 but who still prefer BB10 to Apple and Android OSes.

I have an iPhone as my main for apps and a KEY phone as my Android BlackBerry, but, when it comes to staying on top of Ll my email accounts, my Z10 is still my favorite device because to faster and less cluttered with crap. I can crank through several hundred emails a day across half a dozen accounts in half the time it takes on either my iPhone or my DroidBerry. It may all be moot in a matter of weeks, but up until it won't sync, absolutely no phone beats my Z10 for everyday email and calendar management.

The screen is bright and beautiful for text, and the battery life is a non issue on my WiFi- based phone.

I would never criticize your preference for PKB device. Why do you insist on coming to the Z10 thread to tell those of us who love it that there is "0 reasons" to use their preferred device?

I could give you a dozen reasons why I think only an idiot would use an Android or a PKB as a daily driver in 2021, but I wouldn't do that because those reasons are based on my needs and preferences and it would be insulting to thoughtful people who have chosen Android and PBKs.

Posted via CB10
    10-10-21 02:04 PM
    You've been claiming that silly idea for years, and why we all understand that for you, BlackBerry means a PKB, you completely neglect the reality of some of us BB10 users who left the PKB behind in 2013 but who still prefer BB10 to Apple and Android OSes.

I have an iPhone as my main for apps and a KEY phone as my Android BlackBerry, but, when it comes to staying on top of Ll my email accounts, my Z10 is still my favorite device because to faster and less cluttered with crap. I can crank through several hundred emails a day across half a dozen accounts in half the time it takes on either my iPhone or my DroidBerry. It may all be moot in a matter of weeks, but up until it won't sync, absolutely no phone beats my Z10 for everyday email and calendar management.

The screen is bright and beautiful for text, and the battery life is a non issue on my WiFi- based phone.

I would never criticize your preference for PKB device. Why do you insist on coming to the Z10 thread to tell those of us who love it that there is "0 reasons" to use their preferred device?

I could give you a dozen reasons why I think only an idiot would use an Android or a PKB as a daily driver in 2021, but I wouldn't do that because those reasons are based on my needs and preferences and it would be insulting to thoughtful people who have chosen Android and PBKs.

Posted via CB10
    If the Z10 had an edge to edge screen and at least the battery life of the 12 Mini or better the 13 mini, I’d probably* still be using it. They’re the exact same size as the Z10.

*Also in this reality BlackBerry is still cranking out devices and developers flocked to BB10.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    10-10-21 08:40 PM

Posted via CB10
    You have grasped the fact that not everyone has the same requirements and preferences. Kudos!

We could use more of that insight in these Forums.
    Thud Hardsmack likes this.
    10-10-21 09:20 PM
    If the Z10 had an edge to edge screen and at least the battery life of the 12 Mini or better the 13 mini, I’d probably* still be using it. They’re the exact same size as the Z10.

*Also in this reality BlackBerry is still cranking out devices and developers flocked to BB10.
    A lot of the criticism I see for BB10 is basically like criticizing a Vespa for not being as powerful as a touring motorcycle. The BB10 Z10 at release was a very promising update to the traditional BB10 corporate device, with a bunch of additional functions like being a great MP3 player. Of course, that's not what 99% of people wanted, but for a few of us in the other 1% it's been grand.

Posted via CB10
    10-10-21 09:37 PM
    A lot of the criticism I see for BB10 is basically like criticizing a Vespa for not being as powerful as a touring motorcycle. The BB10 Z10 at release was a very promising update to the traditional BB10 corporate device, with a bunch of additional functions like being a great MP3 player. Of course, that's not what 99% of people wanted, but for a few of us in the other 1% it's been grand.

Posted via CB10
    There was a BB10 device previous to the Z10? And no, there’s nothing wrong with BB10 other than a few UX quibbles. And all the software it couldn’t get. That’s my only real stumbling block and why I’m not using it now.
    10-10-21 09:56 PM
    There was a BB10 device previous to the Z10? And no, there’s nothing wrong with BB10 other than a few UX quibbles. And all the software it couldn’t get. That’s my only real stumbling block and why I’m not using it now.
    Mistyped. I meant BBOS.

Posted via CB10
    10-10-21 09:59 PM
    Mistyped. I meant BBOS.

Posted via CB10
    Ah yes. I miss my 9930 while we’re at it. But I have to disagree with your Vespa analogy. BB10 for the little bit it was current was on par and some ways better than the competition, I’d say it’s more like a full size car that’s still a great drive but doesn’t have the same creature comforts anymore that a current model does. ‘85 Chrysler 5th Avenue vs a 2020 Toyota Camry, say.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-10-21 10:41 PM
    I really want to put a Z10 back on my 2nd line… missing my Blackberry these days. Miss the simplicity…
    10-11-21 05:33 AM
    I really want to put a Z10 back on my 2nd line… missing my Blackberry these days. Miss the simplicity…
    Yeah I think the simplicity of it, not having all those apps is what many really liked.

BB10 was built around email, and for many of us that was the means of communications for business back then.
    10-11-21 07:59 AM
    Mistyped. I meant BBOS.

Posted via CB10
    Now if you’d had a pkb…….

Kidding! lol
    10-11-21 09:52 AM
    Yeah I think the simplicity of it, not having all those apps is what many really liked.

BB10 was built around email, and for many of us that was the means of communications for business back then.
    Personally I’ve never been able to figure that one out, even after all these years. If someone doesn’t want an app, ditch it. Just because it’s pre-installed doesn’t mean it HAS to be used.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-11-21 10:49 AM
    Now if you’d had a pkb…….

Kidding! lol
    The PKB can't stop me from typing the wrong word. I need a brain transplant for rhat!

Posted via CB10
    10-12-21 11:22 AM
    The PKB can't stop me from typing the wrong word. I need a brain transplant for rhat!

Posted via CB10
    I thought a pkb was a cure all, no?
    10-12-21 11:44 AM

So true but it took until like BB10 10.2.1 for email to match BBOS 7.1 and earlier.
    10-12-21 11:52 AM
    So true but it took until like BB10 10.2.1 for email to match BBOS 7.1 and earlier.
    I think that was one of the contributing factors to BB10’s failure, as far as I can remember even the latest release still didn’t include an auto BCC feature for sent emails.

I remember it being a big shock the number of compromises I needed to make when I switched from BBOS 7.1 to BB10, how wrong was I to think BB10 would be a step forward when I took the plunge way back in 2013!

It did mature quite well but still, at launch it was a mess and first impressions really count particularly with a new OS!
    10-12-21 02:31 PM
60 123