It seems google chrome has been in the news a lot lately. From what I have read there is one problem after another. The latest issue is privacy issues/tracking. If I delete google chrome.....will my phone still work correctly. I have brave and duck duck go installed and have been using them. I like brave.
    bh7171 likes this.
    10-03-21 12:52 AM
    It seems google chrome has been in the news a lot lately. From what I have read there is one problem after another. The latest issue is privacy issues/tracking. If I delete google chrome.....will my phone still work correctly. I have brave and duck duck go installed and have been using them. I like brave.
    It will work perfectly fine if you disable Chrome. Any/all updates will come through Android Web Services instead. I disable Chrome and use Samsung Browser with Duck Duck Go
    10-03-21 01:04 AM
    Chrome has 70% market share, so it gets far more attention from security experts. Google is exceptionally quick at patching the browser.

So you have to ask yourself if you want to use a popular browser that gets thoroughly analyzed with a fine-tooth-comb and quickly patched, or a less popular browser that doesn't get as much attention.
    10-03-21 07:25 AM
    I don't like chrome for it always wanting to be signed in to a google account. I've got several different gmail addresses for different purposes and after doing something with one of them (eg: googleDocs, googleSheets) I often then find chrome signed in to one of those when I am doing something completely different for on youTube or internet searches (for example). I try to avoid using chrome and most of the times end up using the stock samsung browser. I agree with conite that chrome is probably actually more secure, if one also navigates through all the privacy settings and attempts to strip down all the data harvesting.
    10-03-21 07:43 AM
    I'd use Samsung browser as it's the only one that has a real dark mode
    10-03-21 08:04 AM
    I'd use Samsung browser as it's the only one that has a real dark mode
    Chrome has a real dark mode. Enable "Force Dark Mode for Web Contents" in the flag settings.
    10-03-21 08:22 AM
    Chrome has a real dark mode. Enable "Force Dark Mode for Web Contents" in the flag settings.
    Didn't know that. I still feel that it's a battery/RAM hog though
    bh7171 likes this.
    10-03-21 10:02 AM
    Didn't know that. I still feel that it's a battery/RAM hog though
    It's actually the opposite. One service can provide both browsing and Webview.
    10-03-21 10:11 AM
    Last time I used Chrome was when we were side loading BAR files on BB10 10.0, dumped it when it was no longer necessary and have been disabling it on every Android since. I’m a big fan of Vivaldi with Firefox as a runner up.
    10-03-21 01:43 PM
    lots of info here. Thank you guys.
    10-03-21 08:03 PM
    Firefox here as well. With Brave and duckduckgo as alternatives. In case a poorly coded website really insists on chrome bromite does the trick.
    11-03-21 04:54 PM
    Firefox here as well. With Brave and duckduckgo as alternatives. In case a poorly coded website really insists on chrome bromite does the trick.
    I love Brave. Been using it for over a year now
    dmlis likes this.
    11-03-21 06:48 PM
    Why not Microsoft Edge?! Based on Chromium and it is my favorite browser for the past year.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition
    nevilleadaniels likes this.
    11-04-21 03:11 AM
    My standard way to use any android phone is not to log in with any Google account and disable all Google apps. Seems to work fine.

Download the fdroid app store and install fennec (Firefox fork)
    01-07-22 02:51 AM
    My standard way to use any android phone is not to log in with any Google account and disable all Google apps. Seems to work fine.

Download the fdroid app store and install fennec (Firefox fork)
    How does that help ALL your information being shared with your carrier? That information gets sold on a continuous basis with all carriers.
    01-07-22 06:14 AM
    How does that help ALL your information being shared with your carrier? That information gets sold on a continuous basis with all carriers.
    He didn't say it does. One can't stop a carrier from being able to collect and sell certain information about the fact that one is using their carrier network. Same thing with when one decides to use an ISP's network. Until we all get onto the RF network that @idssteve and friends has setup, or unless we are hijack piggybacking onto other signals, our carriers and ISPs will always be able to collect about us. Also, I am pretty sure ALL information isn't shared with carrier and ISP. Sure they know where you are and some aspects of what you are doing based on your traffic source and destinations. However, it's not like they'd have (I don't think) visibly into what the actual content is of encrypted browser and app payloads.
    01-07-22 07:16 AM