Anyone get the September security update yet?
    Should be due by now, right?
    09-22-21 12:24 AM
    If it were out.... we'd have a thread on it already.

Think in general the Sept Patch was a little delayed... so still a good chance we will see it in the next week.

The real question is will 8.1 be updated by Google beyond October?
    09-22-21 09:03 AM
    Anyone get the September security update yet?
    Should be due by now, right?
    The last 5 updates were certified prior to this date.

Many this little bonus ride is over.
    09-22-21 09:11 AM
    The last 5 updates were certified prior to this date.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...3491377973.jpg

Many this little bonus ride is over.
    Well if it was associated with OM in some way...
    09-22-21 09:35 AM
    Well if it was associated with OM in some way...
    I still can't fathom who is picking up the tab for this.

A year of patches (no updates to OS itself), along with all of the certification and compliance issues, involving both BlackBerry and TCL's network distribution infrastructure, would cost (in my estimation) at least $300k - but probably more.
    09-22-21 09:50 AM
    I still can't fathom who is picking up the tab for this.

A year of patches (no updates to OS itself), along with all of the certification and compliance issues, involving both BlackBerry and TCL's network distribution infrastructure, would cost (in my estimation) at least $300k - but probably more.
    Well the infrastructure was in place.....

Patches are probable just rubber stamped... it' only the security side not features so less likely to be issues.

And my guess is it got rolled up in TCL's defaulting on their contract with BlackBerry. Even if it did cost $300K, it might have been a cheap concession. But WHY.... I don't really know of any big clients using the KEY2 in NA... did someone in Canada "buy in"? US didn't even have a Carrier offering it.... and enterprise and government is big on carrier partnerships.
    09-22-21 10:02 AM
    Well the infrastructure was in place.....

Patches are probable just rubber stamped... it' only the security side not features so less likely to be issues.

And my guess is it got rolled up in TCL's defaulting on their contract with BlackBerry. Even if it did cost $300K, it might have been a cheap concession. But WHY.... I don't really know of any big clients using the KEY2 in NA... did someone in Canada "buy in"? US didn't even have a Carrier offering it.... and enterprise and government is big on carrier partnerships.
    If it was a condition of wrapping up the licensing deal early, why then only North American updates? And why none for the LE?

It is possible that a Canadian government organization or a bank up here had something to do with it. I just don't know.

But I certainly don't see a scenario where OM would be sending cheques to anyone - they can't even afford to hire their own staff full-time.
    09-22-21 10:11 AM
    As far as I know, I see lots of industry Canada inspectors/agents carrying key 2's and Classics and q10's.

Most of the younger dudes and gals have iPhones and other android slabs.

Are we at the three year mark from when the key2 was first available at robelus? (Rogers/Bell/Telus - Canadian carriers/cabal)
    09-22-21 11:09 AM
    Realistically how long of a runway would a KEY 2 have from a security perspective for someone who would only use very very limited app use. Email, Maps, GPS, maybe a streaming service and a sports and weather app?

I might need to find a few Key 2 from friends and than see long I will be able to use them in Canada.

Security is important to me but given my actual device use, it's not that I do a lot of security sensitive business on my device other than email and the items listed above.

Thx

Posted via CB10
    09-22-21 02:46 PM
    Realistically how long of a runway would a KEY 2 have from a security perspective for someone who would only use very very limited app use. Email, Maps, GPS, maybe a streaming service and a sports and weather app?

I might need to find a few Key 2 from friends and than see long I will be able to use them in Canada.

Security is important to me but given my actual device use, it's not that I do a lot of security sensitive business on my device other than email and the items listed above.

Thx

Posted via CB10
    The Google recommendation, and the typical enterprise requirement is 3 months. I go with that myself as well.

It all depends what vulnerabilities are discovered over time.
    09-22-21 02:49 PM

Thx

Posted via CB10
    Once the security updates stop, your device is exposed to any security vulnerabilities after that point. With Android, Google publishes the actual security vulnerabilities after they’ve been patched. Then, bad actors, bad people, design exploitation programs to infiltrate unpatched devices and exploit those specific vulnerabilities. All the spam calls, texts and emails could all be part of the delivery mechanisms to install on your device automatically for deployment later. Many times, you’ll have no idea whether successful or not.

All the enemies have to do is succeed once despite all the successful defenses.
    09-22-21 02:53 PM
    The Google recommendation, and the typical enterprise requirement is 3 months. I go with that myself as well.

It all depends what vulnerabilities are discovered over time.

Perhaps I'm a little confused. Say for example that the Key 2 gets security patches until the end of the year, would it be considered unsafe?

I'm confused about the 3 months aspect. Where does that come from? The fact that Android 8.1 may be obsolete soon?

Thanks

Posted via CB10
    09-22-21 02:54 PM
    Perhaps I'm a little confused. Say for example that the Key 2 gets security patches until the end of the year, would it be considered unsafe?

I'm confused about the 3 months aspect. Where does that come from? The fact that Android 8.1 may be obsolete soon?

Thanks

Posted via CB10
    Most security experts feel that 3 months after the last security update, you should upgrade devices.
    09-22-21 02:56 PM

Thanks

Posted via CB10
    More like the KEY2 just got it's last update and by the end of the year it would be "considered" unsafe... I don't consider a device that using the latest OS with the latest security patches as being 100% safe.

Not having security patches makes it less safe.
    Not running the latest OS makes it less safe as well.
    Older hardware, generally has more known exploits.... remember Google only patch what they or another white hat researcher reports. Stuff that other "researchers" find, stays unpatched for a reason.

If you live week to week and have nothing of value.... not much of a risk using an old phone. You live on your phone and have money in banks, credit cards, investment accounts, bitcoin.... using a KEY2 is a HUGE risk.
    09-22-21 03:18 PM
    More like the KEY2 just got it's last update and by the end of the year it would be "considered" unsafe... I don't consider a device that using the latest OS with the latest security patches as being 100% safe.

Not having security patches makes it less safe.
    Not running the latest OS makes it less safe as well.
    Older hardware, generally has more known exploits.... remember Google only patch what they or another white hat researcher reports. Stuff that other "researchers" find, stays unpatched for a reason.

If you live week to week and have nothing of value.... not much of a risk using an old phone. You live on your phone and have money in banks, credit cards, investment accounts, bitcoin.... using a KEY2 is a HUGE risk.
    Using a key2 will be a HuGe risk only a few months after the last update?

Hopefully those bad actors will focus their resources on other more popular phones.

They key2 is not the Honda Civic or Ford F150 of phones.
    09-23-21 09:13 AM
    Using a key2 will be a HuGe risk only a few months after the last update?

Hopefully those bad actors will focus their resources on other more popular phones.

They key2 is not the Honda Civic or Ford F150 of phones.
    It's not focused by device. It's done by spamming phone numbers via phone calls and texts plus email addresses in general just looking to locate ANY un-patched devices.
    eshropshire likes this.
    09-23-21 09:17 AM
    I bought a like-new silver NA Key2 in November from one of those outfits that assembles phones from parts. I did so expecting no updates whatsoever. What a ride it's been! No way I could have predicted almost a year of updates. If August is the last one, so be it. Still love this phone. I plan to continue spending 0% of my life worrying about it getting compromised.
    Jesda likes this.
    09-23-21 02:24 PM
    I bought a like-new silver NA Key2 in November from one of those outfits that assembles phones from parts. I did so expecting no updates whatsoever. What a ride it's been! No way I could have predicted almost a year of updates. If August is the last one, so be it. Still love this phone. I plan to continue spending 0% of my life worrying about it getting compromised.

May the schwartz be with you...
    bibbula likes this.
    09-23-21 02:44 PM
    If you don't care about security patches, then why were you happy to get them?
    John Albert and RLeeSimon like this.
    09-23-21 02:46 PM
    Hmm. Why would someone be happy to get something unexpected for free? ������
    09-23-21 02:51 PM
    If you gave me free cheesecake I'd be happy to get it, but I don't care if I don't.
    DOCTOREVIL8 and bibbula like this.
    09-23-21 03:40 PM
    still nothing.....two days left!
    this might actually be the end.

I'm still trying to figure out if this month marks the end of 36 months since launch in Canada.
    09-29-21 08:53 AM

I'm still trying to figure out if this month marks the end of 36 months since launch in Canada.
    July 6, 2018.
    09-29-21 08:59 AM

I think the date of importance was TCL ended BBMo in August of last year... for some unknown reason they kept updates going for another 12 months. Maybe BlackBerry asked for it as a term of TCL ending their contract early? I doubt OM could have afforded that bill... But I don't think Google is far behind ending support of OREO anyway.

So how much longer to use it..... ?
    09-29-21 10:14 AM
    I think the date of importance was TCL ended BBMo in August of last year... for some unknown reason they kept updates going for another 12 months. Maybe BlackBerry asked for it as a term of TCL ending their contract early? I doubt OM could have afforded that bill... But I don't think Google is far behind ending support of OREO anyway.

So how much longer to use it..... ?
    Sigh

Fingers and toes still crossed for an OM Blackberry.

Key2 is definitely slowing down now.
    Hate waiting for Google maps to load etc

Onto a Nokia or Sony or Pixel .....
    09-29-21 07:19 PM
96 123 ...