Anyone with Z10 experience, I’ve been thinking about picking up a Z10 and dock on eBay just to set up and use as a bedside clock and alarm. Does this phone support a bedside mode and what is the longest time you’ve left the phone in bedside mode straight? Do you think it would be fine for months and months?
    08-25-21 07:04 PM
    Anyone with Z10 experience, I’ve been thinking about picking up a Z10 and dock on eBay just to set up and use as a bedside clock and alarm. Does this phone support a bedside mode and what is the longest time you’ve left the phone in bedside mode straight? Do you think it would be fine for months and months?
    It should be fine as a bedside clock, but it won't work as a phone.
    jmr1015 likes this.
    08-25-21 07:20 PM
    I'd invest the money into an Echo Show rather than a Z10 Dock.... a lot more functionality and capability.
    08-26-21 06:57 AM
    ...I’ve been thinking about picking up a Z10 and dock on eBay just to set up and use as a bedside clock and alarm. Does this phone support a bedside mode and what is the longest time you’ve left the phone in bedside mode straight? Do you think it would be fine for months and months?
    The z10 works great for this. I love the BB10 bedside mode, the dimmed analogue clock, and also the "sunrise" alarm, and that's why I use one of my old z10s setup exactly for this specific purpose. Way better than any other phone alarm/mode for this purpose, in my opinion. I plop the z10 into the dock before bed and then normally plop it out/off after the alarm goes off and after I get up, leaving it on my night table beside the dock until I go to bed again. Not sure why I don't just leave it always in the dock. Leftover habit about for the battery I guess, not leaving it on the charger all the time. I have left it in the dock many times and no problem for me. If I leave it in the dock, for me I find the z10 will at some point later in the day (not sure when) eventually fully turn off the screen, instead of leaving the bedside mode clock displayed forever. Then, I just re-engage bedside mode again when I next go to bed.

You'd really have to want this sort of setup to be willing to spend the money on getting a dock, depending on availability of those nowadays. The z10 bedside mode works in portrait so it is not a must to have a dock, if you can otherwise prop up the phone somehow. However, the arrangement is better (in my opinion) in landscape. There used to be generic USB docks at dollar stores (literally for a dollar) that would work, if you can't find an authentic z10 dock. My dock I got here from CB many years ago.
    Rico4you and jmr1015 like this.
    08-26-21 06:58 AM
    The z10 works great for this. I love the BB10 bedside mode, the dimmed analogue clock, and also the "sunrise" alarm, and that's why I use one of my old z10s setup exactly for this specific purpose. Way better than any other phone alarm/mode for this purpose, in my opinion. I plop the z10 into the dock before bed and then normally plop it out/off after the alarm goes off and after I get up, leaving it on my night table beside the dock until I go to bed again. Not sure why I don't just leave it always in the dock. Leftover habit about for the battery I guess, not leaving it on the charger all the time. I have left it in the dock many times and no problem for me. If I leave it in the dock, for me I find the z10 will at some point later in the day (not sure when) eventually fully turn off the screen, instead of leaving the bedside mode clock displayed forever. Then, I just re-engage bedside mode again when I next go to bed.

You'd really have to want this sort of setup to be willing to spend the money on getting a dock, depending on availability of those nowadays. The z10 bedside mode works in portrait so it is not a must to have a dock, if you can otherwise prop up the phone somehow. However, the arrangement is better (in my opinion) in landscape. There used to be generic USB docks at dollar stores (literally for a dollar) that would work, if you can't find an authentic z10 dock. My dock I got here from CB many years ago.
    Awesome! Good to know. Yes I have my eye on a Z10 and landscape dock on eBay. I think I’ll pull the trigger and give it a try!
    08-26-21 06:09 PM
    Awesome! Good to know. Yes I have my eye on a Z10 and landscape dock on eBay. I think I’ll pull the trigger and give it a try!
    Just make sure you remember what conite said in terms of what not to expect to use it for. Also, maybe check some of the other threads about BB10 EOL, the upcoming Jan2022 deadline, and thoughts/strategies about removing BBID, BBProtect, etc... Who knows what will happen in Jan with even my "bedside alarm only" z10.
    jmr1015 likes this.
    08-26-21 08:21 PM
    Just make sure you remember what conite said in terms of what not to expect to use it for. Also, maybe check some of the other threads about BB10 EOL, the upcoming Jan2022 deadline, and thoughts/strategies about removing BBID, BBProtect, etc... Who knows what will happen in Jan with even my "bedside alarm only" z10.
    Will do. I’ll read up on it. But yeah I’m literally just planning to use it as a quirky bedside alarm clock. That’s it. No phone functions or smart functions needed.
    08-26-21 11:31 PM