Like many others, I'm waiting for the new device. I guess I'm a BB fanatic and really support the brand. I work in finance and shrug off the Apple crowd. I use both a KEY2 and the KEY1 as a back up, latter used mostly on wifi. I am sure they are both beyond the 1 yr warranty. I am experiencing the space bar issue on both devices now and is defeating the whole purpose of the keyboard. I have been with BB since day one, I am registered for updates on the KEY3 but I'm losing hope that my devices will last that long. I did the most suggested solutions, compressed air & changed the setting in the input, but the space bar still doesn't perform as it should. I will try the TCL hot-line today but not expecting much. I have stripped apart some of the older devices in the but don't have the time to fiddle with it so I'm not chasing after replacement parts. Rogers likely wont help either as they don't carry the product. Any other ideas or words of encouragement are welcome.
    08-19-21 07:15 AM
    KEY3 doesn't exist.

OM had a mock up of an unapproved device, but they seem to be back at asking for design input.... It's going to be 2022, if ever.

Little point in calling TCL... but it's your dime. Just order a new keyboard and either replace it or take it to a shop.
    Trouveur likes this.
    08-19-21 01:15 PM
    TCL shut down BB Mobile about 2 years ago - they're done. A completely different company has talked about trying to make a new PKB device, but it's been a year, and they're starting over from scratch, asking people what kind of device they are interested in, which means they don't even have a design yet. That means, at best, with unlimited budget and everything going just right, it would be 6 months at best before a device went on sale. There's also the question if a device will ever be made at all - this device was supposed to be released by the end of June 2021, and now they're starting over. I recommend that you don't count on an OM device existing until you see them for sale with delivery within a few days - and IMO, that's 9 months away at best.
    John Albert likes this.
    08-19-21 10:41 PM
    It's actually not that hard to change out the keyboards on those devices. you might want to look into it because it's gonna be a while yet before there's a new BB.
    RLeeSimon likes this.
    08-19-21 11:08 PM
    TCL shut down BB Mobile about 2 years ago - they're done. A completely different company has talked about trying to make a new PKB device, but it's been a year, and they're starting over from scratch, asking people what kind of device they are interested in, which means they don't even have a design yet. That means, at best, with unlimited budget and everything going just right, it would be 6 months at best before a device went on sale. There's also the question if a device will ever be made at all - this device was supposed to be released by the end of June 2021, and now they're starting over. I recommend that you don't count on an OM device existing until you see them for sale with delivery within a few days - and IMO, that's 9 months away at best.
    Where are they asking people what kind of device they want?
    08-20-21 07:14 AM
    You could get a refurbished BB from aliexpress if you don't want to self-repair.
    08-20-21 07:14 AM
    Where are they asking people what kind of device they want?
    They sent emails to those that did the new form on their website....
    08-20-21 07:16 AM
    They sent emails to those that did the new form on their website....
    Yeah I got one. Didn't have any links or forms for giving suggestions tho. I wanna spam them with my shower thoughts.
    08-20-21 07:25 AM
    Yeah I got one. Didn't have any links or forms for giving suggestions tho. I wanna spam them with my shower thoughts.
    You hit the reply to the email and I'm sure they are taking each one under advisement...
    08-20-21 09:48 AM
    I have waning vision and waning dexterity but I was able to pull the battery and change it out on my key to without much difficulty. It has a lot of screws and some of them are not the same so one has to be careful about that. There are a couple of plugs that were a little touchy to get in and out which apparently serve the antenna and once I enlarged a picture outtake from the YouTube video I could see that the plugs had to be slightly off straight angle to be plugged in and it went smoothly thereafter. The battery otherwise went in fine and I've been using the phone ever since.

My impression also from reading here has been that taking out the keyboard and replacing it is pretty simple, perhaps even simpler than changing the battery. But you must absolutely make sure you've gotten the proper part that goes to your phone exactly. I am not expert enough to know how to help with that. If you're getting ready to buy it you might want to ask Coniite or one of the other mods or experts here to help you out and have a look over what you're going to get before you order it to make sure that it matches your PRD number. Good luck with that. I love this KEY² phone and I would keep it going forever if I could.
    Last edited by RLeeSimon; 08-30-21 at 01:11 PM.
    08-20-21 11:08 AM
    As for the new BlackBerry model announced by Onward Mobility, either make they make it or they don't. Few things are certain in life.
    08-20-21 11:13 AM
    Space key malfunction sometimes limited to left side only. Backspace key is supported by two sensor pins. I trained myself to use far right side of spacebar with thumbnail. After a short learning period, I am back to original speed. Hope this helps!
    08-20-21 09:20 PM
    OMG 2022? Can't wait that long. Motorola g5 or Nokia? Plan b need in Sept.

Posted via CB10
    08-26-21 10:43 AM

Posted via CB10
    Adam saw a mock up only... not a preproduction unit. No sign of any certifications in the different agencies that oversee these in the USA or EU. And now OM seems to be asking for "input" on the design.

While their "in 2021" still seems to be on their website... I just don't see it happening.

My 2022 is just a guess... but in the past we'd see something within six months of a product release. FCC approval is generally done before production is began, which has ran 4 - 6 months after the FCC certification for BB and TCL in the past. Now there are expensive ways for an OEM to keep this information confidential - Apple does this all the time. But OM isn't Apple...
    08-26-21 11:10 AM

Posted via CB10
    If you actually want updates and security patches, go with Nokia. Maybe the G20 for $189 if you're on a budget. Or the X10 for $337 if you want 5G.
    John Albert likes this.
    08-26-21 11:45 AM
    you mean............never?......LOL
    08-26-21 12:06 PM

Posted via CB10
    Pixel 5a could prove a tremendous value also.
    08-26-21 12:28 PM
    Pixel 5a could prove a tremendous value also.
    At $449 (or anywhere close) it's hard to recommend anything other than the Pixel 5a.
    08-26-21 12:57 PM
    At $449 (or anywhere close) it's hard to recommend anything other than the Pixel 5a.
    What's the main difference compared to the 5? 5 has no headphone jack but more RAM plus Wireless charging I believe? Still way under $1000 too.
    08-26-21 01:05 PM
    What's the main difference compared to the 5? 5 has no headphone jack but more RAM plus Wireless charging I believe? Still way under $1000 too.
    Lower refresh rate (90Hz vs 60Hz)
    IP68 vs IP67
    Gorilla Glass 6 vs Gorilla Glass 3
    2GB less RAM
    No wireless Charging
    No reverse charging
    Bigger Battery
    Has Headphone jack
    No mmWave 5G
    Slightly smaller display
    Fewer ppi
    cost less

At this point, unless budget is an issue... I'd wait for the Pixel 6, which is suppose to be a huge upgrade over the Pixel 5.
    08-26-21 01:59 PM
    At this point, unless budget is an issue... I'd wait for the Pixel 6, which is suppose to be a huge upgrade over the Pixel 5.
    I don't think the $449 market overlaps very much with the $800 - $1100 market.
    08-26-21 02:06 PM
    Lower refresh rate (90Hz vs 60Hz)
    IP68 vs IP67
    Gorilla Glass 6 vs Gorilla Glass 3
    2GB less RAM
    No wireless Charging
    No reverse charging
    Bigger Battery
    Has Headphone jack
    No mmWave 5G
    Slightly smaller display
    Fewer ppi
    cost less

5 looks good to me. Not sure how much longer I want to wait. Plus it is roughly the same size as my K1. Although, the Galaxy Flip looks interesting. I hate carrying these 6 inch phones in my pocket. But, my new job will be WFH so it may not matter.
    08-26-21 02:06 PM
    I don't think the $449 market overlaps very much with the $899 - $1199 market.
    Thus the "unless budget is an issue".... As yes the top end Pixel 6 isn't going to be anywhere near the Pixel 5 price point, as they are very different class devices. Pixel 5 and 5a... not all that different.

2020 was just an off year for Google on the Flagship side of things.
    eshropshire likes this.
    08-26-21 02:14 PM
    5 looks good to me. Not sure how much longer I want to wait. Plus it is roughly the same size as my K1. Although, the Galaxy Flip looks interesting. I hate carrying these 6 inch phones in my pocket. But, my new job will be WFH so it may not matter.
    I couldn’t justify the extra money for the 5 over the 5a for the extra differences, especially when looking at prices of what’s actually still available for sale.
    08-26-21 06:44 PM
    I couldn’t justify the extra money for the 5 over the 5a for the extra differences, especially when looking at prices of what’s actually still available for sale.
    They are both about a year old now, right? So two more years of updates?
    08-27-21 08:27 AM
58 123