As the title states. I need some help, tips, or maybe a guide(s) to help me prep my classic when/if they really do shut it all down.

Mainly the BBID stuff. Im mainly wanting to know what will not work without a BBID and Ive read about people having issues about "Setting up BBID" popping up and draining their battery. Ive got 3 Classics. One works but the anntennas are wonky, my second one doesnt works becuase the battery failure issue, and my third one work 100% zero issue.

I am wanting some insight on what I need to do to keep using my Classic until Verizon kills 3G (If they do...). Ive looked into Darcy's tools and it seems like a good tool to use for backups and restores and it might help me fix my battery bricked BB.

Im no stranger to BB since Ive been using BBs since the Bold 9000, Storm, Torch, and now the Classic. Ive been on and off but I always seem to return to BB. Its where my heart belongs.
    06-20-21 05:24 PM
    As the title states. I need some help, tips, or maybe a guide(s) to help me prep my classic when/if they really do shut it all down.

Mainly the BBID stuff. Im mainly wanting to know what will not work without a BBID and Ive read about people having issues about "Setting up BBID" popping up and draining their battery. Ive got 3 Classics. One works but the anntennas are wonky, my second one doesnt works becuase the battery failure issue, and my third one work 100% zero issue.

I am wanting some insight on what I need to do to keep using my Classic until Verizon kills 3G (If they do...). Ive looked into Darcy's tools and it seems like a good tool to use for backups and restores and it might help me fix my battery bricked BB.

Im no stranger to BB since Ive been using BBs since the Bold 9000, Storm, Torch, and now the Classic. Ive been on and off but I always seem to return to BB. Its where my heart belongs.
    Disable BlackBerry Protect, and then wipe the device. Set it up and skip BBID login.

You're done.

Without BBID, you lose BBM, BlackBerry World, and BlackBerry Protect.

Use Yalp for Android apps, and sideload native apps from the attached library.

https://f-droid.org/repo/com.github....lpstore_47.apk

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...htmlview#gid=0
    MadMax636 and bbfanfan like this.
    06-20-21 05:32 PM
    Will I loose function of the Hub? Mainly mail (Ive got 3 accounts I manage)
    06-20-21 05:34 PM
    Will I loose function of the Hub? Mainly mail (Ive got 3 accounts I manage)
    No.
    06-20-21 05:42 PM
    I'm getting ready to do this. It's not all that bad. I might lose some apps I rely on, but not a deal killer.

Having to carry a separate phone/hot spot will be worse.

Posted via CB10
    06-20-21 06:03 PM
    What do you mean having to carry a separate phone/hotstop? Do you mean for apps that the Classic wont be able to run?
    06-20-21 06:40 PM
    I have one last question. WIth the back end services being shutdown. Which I dont agree with at all. Since I really dont see the point in doing it since so many people still use, rely, and love BlackBerry devices.

SInce BIS is apart of the backend stuff and that getting shutdown. What does that mean for people like myself who are wanting to keep using my Classic (Im on Verizon Wireless). Since you said The hub will still work. Does that mean 1x, 3G, and 4G, LTE data will still work and everything else will work 100% or what will be limitet.
    06-20-21 09:31 PM
    I have one last question. WIth the back end services being shutdown. Which I dont agree with at all. Since I really dont see the point in doing it since so many people still use, rely, and love BlackBerry devices.

SInce BIS is apart of the backend stuff and that getting shutdown. What does that mean for people like myself who are wanting to keep using my Classic (Im on Verizon Wireless). Since you said The hub will still work. Does that mean 1x, 3G, and 4G, LTE data will still work and everything else will work 100% or what will be limitet.
    There aren't that many people left using any BB phone anymore - that's why it's shutting down - after more than 2 years of warnings about it. Those servers take up leasable space, use up electricity, have people that maintain them - all eating up cash with not enough return.

The Classic is a BB10 phone and was never on BIS. BIS was used only by the older legacy BlackBerry phones that ran the old BBOS 7.1 and earlier (think Bold, Curve, Pearl, Storm, 9900, 9800, etc...).

But, BIS is still running for the few older phones that do happen to still be used. However, most carriers worldwide cut that off long ago. AT&T happened to keep theirs up until BB decided on the shutdown.

Still, BB10 does continue to rely on other back-end services, which is why there is that little 4-dot logo in the upper right corner of a BB10 screen. Those services run BBID and BlackBerry Protect. There are other connections that we didn't know were there until late 2013 (or was that early 2014?) when everyone's sensors went out - the compass, accelerometer, GPS... stuff like that. Turned out something on BlackBerry's end messed all that up and they had to do something to correct it on their end. Why were the phone's sensors tied to the back-end servers in Waterloo? That was never really explained (other than something vaguely about "calibration"), but everyone kind of let it go, too (a bit strange considering how security conscious many seem to be).

BB10 runs on regular data plans from the carrier. However, how that data is divvied up now that voice calls also run over data (as VoLTE) is the issue with older phones. And if you are on Verizon, then there's another level of complexity that goes with the Classic being a CDMA phone with LTE capability. I'm not well versed on how Verizon works, but they are shutting down 3G CDMA on Dec 31, 2022 - basically 11 months after AT&T is shutting down their 3G GSM services. I assume the older Verizon phones use the CDMA for voice, and are not compatible with their VoLTE either, but I'm not sure.

Most of the discussions we've had about this revolve around AT&T's 3G shutdown. But I think the basic principles are the same. Yes, the phone is an LTE phone, but if the phone can't work with the carrier's VoLTE service (which is different than regular data over LTE), then the carrier will simply cut you off. That's what AT&T is already doing to some customers.

Assuming you remove the BBID and Protect, the phone can still connect to Wi-Fi, and you should still have data access that way. The Hub does not use any BB back-end services unless you choose the option to automatically set up new accounts. Otherwise, you can manually add email account information to get around that. That's the kind of stuff Conite meant. But, you basically have a wi-fi tablet device. No calls, no SMS, nothing like that.

It's how my Z10 is set up. It's been off AT&T since late 2017, but I still connect to house wi-fi, and keep my home email on it. I only keep it as a working device in case a question comes up here. I can pull it out if I need to remember where a setting is. I also keep Link, Sachesi and DBBT on my PC. I even have the BB10/PlayBook App Manager Chrome extension. Just to make sure those all still run on the latest Windows 10 updates. I have not removed the BBID or Protect yet, because you need at least the BBID to run Link. And, I'm still doing that for now. I don't think Link will work at all if there is no BBID anymore to connect the with the device. And, I think that DBBT uses that as well for it's backup function - but someone else who already removed the BBID from their phone will have to verify that.
    Last edited by joeldf; 06-21-21 at 11:12 AM.
    06-21-21 11:00 AM
    So what your saying is that when and if blackberry shutsdown the servers my phone will be nothing more than a WiFi device?
    06-21-21 11:15 AM
    So what your saying is that when and if blackberry shutsdown the servers my phone will be nothing more than a WiFi device?
    When 3G shuts down, it will be a Wi-Fi only device.
    06-21-21 11:32 AM
    Not to seem rude to like I'm undermining what your saying. When/if 36 dies/gets turned off. What about the 4G LTE data?
    06-21-21 11:54 AM
    Not to seem rude to like I'm undermining what your saying. When/if 36 dies/gets turned off. What about the 4G LTE data?
    BB10 devices don't support the newer VoLTE which is needed for voice once 3G shuts down. If your carrier offers a data only plan then you'd at least have data.
    06-21-21 11:59 AM
    That won't matter. If the carrier can't get voice to your phone, you don't get anything.

Carriers don't offer data only plans for phones, only for a legitimate tablet (the ones with SIM card slots and only get data). And they know that from the random IMEI sweeps they all do.

Edit: Actually, looking up a bit more about it, that may not be totally true. But, you will have to call Verizon to be sure.
    Last edited by joeldf; 06-21-21 at 12:15 PM.
    06-21-21 12:01 PM
    What do you mean having to carry a separate phone/hotstop? Do you mean for apps that the Classic wont be able to run?
    Not for apps. Because I will lose 3G coverage and will need both a phone and an Internet connection to run email. I guess my BB10 devices will be for email and media consumption. Phone service and SMS will have to be on another phone.

Posted via CB10
    06-21-21 03:19 PM
    That won't matter. If the carrier can't get voice to your phone, you don't get anything.

Carriers don't offer data only plans for phones, only for a legitimate tablet (the ones with SIM card slots and only get data). And they know that from the random IMEI sweeps they all do.

Edit: Actually, looking up a bit more about it, that may not be totally true. But, you will have to call Verizon to be sure.
    That would be cool if we could get data and SMS even if we lose phones. Is this possible on other carriers? I agree most likely it's all or nothing.

Posted via CB10
    06-21-21 03:24 PM
    That would be cool if we could get data and SMS even if we lose phones. Is this possible on other carriers? I agree most likely it's all or nothing.

Posted via CB10
    If you could trick carrier into thinking it's some kind of Tablet....
    06-22-21 08:23 AM
    If you could trick carrier into thinking it's some kind of Tablet....
    Or, a smart watch, notebook, or hotspot device. Those are the kinds of things that take SIM cards with data only plans.

I remember back when smartphones started off, the carriers would not allow them to have voice-only plans as people transitioned from dumb-phones to smartphones. Some tried, but as soon as an IMEI sweep was done that found out a phone was in fact a smartphone, the carrier would immediately tack a data plan to the service - surprising many people with a sudden price jump on their following month's bill.

I suspect that most carriers would to the same the other way around now. If a similar sweep found the device using a data-only plan was actually a smartphone, they might just deactivate it, if it can't support their voice service.

Looking up Verizon's data-only plans, they specifically state the devices that are eligible. I'm sure they have ways to verify what a device is. But, again, you can always ask them.
    06-22-21 08:54 AM
    Or, a smart watch, notebook, or hotspot device. Those are the kinds of things that take SIM cards with data only plans.

I remember back when smartphones started off, the carriers would not allow them to have voice-only plans as people transitioned from dumb-phones to smartphones. Some tried, but as soon as an IMEI sweep was done that found out a phone was in fact a smartphone, the carrier would immediately tack a data plan to the service - surprising many people with a sudden price jump on their following month's bill.

I suspect that most carriers would to the same the other way around now. If a similar sweep found the device using a data-only plan was actually a smartphone, they might just deactivate it, if it can't support their voice service.

Looking up Verizon's data-only plans, they specifically state the devices that are eligible. I'm sure they have ways to verify what a device is. But, again, you can always ask them.
    Why would they turn business away? Put the SIM card in your toaster for all we care! Just pay us $50 per month!

Posted via CB10
    06-22-21 12:59 PM
    This tablet idea might be the secret. Buy a data only plan. It doesn't cure dual carry but makes it easier.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-21 01:00 PM
    Why would they turn business away? Put the SIM card in your toaster for all we care! Just pay us $50 per month!

Posted via CB10
    I believe the system is being regulatory manipulated to minimize support demand. Carriers want your money but not your problems with non-supported devices.
    06-22-21 01:44 PM
    This tablet idea might be the secret. Buy a data only plan. It doesn't cure dual carry but makes it easier.

Posted via CB10
    If you have to dual carry, might as well just have one plan and use the hotspot for your data.

Besides, IMEI will identify the product and carriers don't support phones this way.
    06-22-21 01:47 PM
    If you have to dual carry, might as well just have one plan and use the hotspot for your data.

Besides, IMEI will identify the product and carriers don't support phones this way.
    Maybe but it's nice to have SMS managed by BB10 with email accounts and Blend for us BB10 fanatics. Maybe it's not possible.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-21 06:09 PM
    it's nice to have SMS managed by BB10
    Google Messages is RCS, and now supports end-to-end encryption. No excuse to use anything else now.
    LaGrua00 likes this.
    06-22-21 06:17 PM
    Maybe but it's nice to have SMS managed by BB10.
    SMS on BB10 goes over the same cellular voice network (always has) that's getting shut down. So you won't even have that.
    06-22-21 10:07 PM
    Google Messages is RCS, and now supports end-to-end encryption. No excuse to use anything else now.
    I don't need an excuse. I use BB10 for my own reasons. Besides, I would never trust Google encryption for anything. They would still end up reading everything and storing it on a server.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-21 02:14 AM
34 12