The battery on my Key 2 basically doubled in size overnight, so not wanting to have it explode in my pocket, I shut down the phone and ordered a replacement battery. Chicago Mobile Parts had it for $21.00. Worked fine so far. But it took a while to find a battery in the states, and shipping must be by ground only because you cannot FEDEX batteries. Long story short, the Key 2 was out of commission for just over 2 weeks.

Living on my phone, I HAD to find a backup. I picked up a Moto G Power (2021) at Bestbuy for a reasonable price. It worked fine, kinda.
    To be fair, it is an inexpensive phone, so it will not have all the bells and whistles. But I did not need nor want a flagship.

It did what I needed to do. But not easily. I had to download a mail app, because gmail was not acceptable. I missed Hub. I missed the single location for all coms - email, text, phone etc.

I found a VKB setup that I could use - albeit REALLY slowly. I had many many many typos. I found that I could not string a sentence together without word suggestion, and even then, since the vast majority of my coms have proper names and specialized terms, the suggestions were often no help.

I am very happy to have my Key2 repaired and up and running. I hope it stays running. But I found that if I HAVE TO, I can function for a short while at least on a glass slab phone. I will hate it, it will slow me down immensely, I will have all kinds of typos, but I can function.

I suspect many millions of others learned that fact some years ago, but I also learned how much I depend on my BB and the PKB.
    Paulelmar18 and hamilgs like this.
    06-07-21 09:04 PM
    The battery on my Key 2 basically doubled in size overnight, so not wanting to have it explode in my pocket, I shut down the phone and ordered a replacement battery. Chicago Mobile Parts had it for $21.00. Worked fine so far. But it took a while to find a battery in the states, and shipping must be by ground only because you cannot FEDEX batteries. Long story short, the Key 2 was out of commission for just over 2 weeks.

Living on my phone, I HAD to find a backup. I picked up a Moto G Power (2021) at Bestbuy for a reasonable price. It worked fine, kinda.
    To be fair, it is an inexpensive phone, so it will not have all the bells and whistles. But I did not need nor want a flagship.

It did what I needed to do. But not easily. I had to download a mail app, because gmail was not acceptable. I missed Hub. I missed the single location for all coms - email, text, phone etc.

I found a VKB setup that I could use - albeit REALLY slowly. I had many many many typos. I found that I could not string a sentence together without word suggestion, and even then, since the vast majority of my coms have proper names and specialized terms, the suggestions were often no help.

I am very happy to have my Key2 repaired and up and running. I hope it stays running. But I found that if I HAVE TO, I can function for a short while at least on a glass slab phone. I will hate it, it will slow me down immensely, I will have all kinds of typos, but I can function.

I suspect many millions of others learned that fact some years ago, but I also learned how much I depend on my BB and the PKB.
    Once you switch for good, and you will soon enough, you'll never look back. Don't worry.
    06-07-21 09:16 PM
    ...but I also learned how much I depend on my BB and the PKB.
    Nothing wrong with that.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    bh7171 likes this.
    06-07-21 09:30 PM
    Once you switch for good, and you will soon enough, you'll never look back. Don't worry.
    That's a bunch of BS.

The VKB is no real replacement for a PKB.
    06-07-21 09:41 PM
    That's a bunch of BS.

The VKB is no real replacement for a PKB.
    Almost everyone would disagree with you of course. It's hardly an outlandish opinion.

Besides, the input mechanics is only one of dozens of criteria for effective smartphone usage.
    eshropshire likes this.
    06-07-21 09:52 PM
    Nothing wrong with that.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    Nothing wrong at all. The sun also rises without a pkb phone too, which was the only point I was trying to make.
    06-07-21 10:03 PM
    Almost everyone would disagree with you of course. It's hardly an outlandish opinion.

Besides, the input mechanics is only one of dozens of criteria for effective smartphone usage.
    People "get by" with slabs, most of them make ton of typos, and none of them can honestly say that they enjoy the experience.
    They use it because it's all that their slab can provide for input.
    06-07-21 11:10 PM
    Nothing wrong at all. The sun also rises without a pkb phone too, which was the only point I was trying to make.
    I didn't think I was trying to debate that.
    06-08-21 05:47 AM
    People "get by" with slabs, most of them make ton of typos, and none of them can honestly say that they enjoy the experience.
    They use it because it's all that their slab can provide for input.
    Again, most would disagree. To the tune of well over 99% no less.
    eshropshire likes this.
    06-08-21 06:10 AM
    Not once has a glass typist said they enjoyed typing on their slab, nor that they never make typos.

Is this that hard for you to believe, or do you just have to disagree with everything I say?
    06-08-21 07:03 AM
    Agree. Never wanted a QWERTY PKB on my mobile phone, and it seems it was not a bad choice after all, as many PKB users face practical difficulties in adjusting to the VKB, some apparently even emotional pain.
    Of course, PKB faithful will tell me I don't know what I missed, but I am used to that. Before, I heard the same from Betamax VCR faithful, plasma TV faithful, HD DVD faithful and so on...

No offense to PKB lovers as I respect their preference, but they will never convince me that I need or want a PKB.
    Trouveur likes this.
    06-08-21 07:07 AM
    Not once has a glass typist said they enjoyed typing on their slab, nor that they never make typos.

Is this that hard for you to believe, or do you just have to disagree with everything I say?
    You want to make it something more than a simple preference - and an outlier one at that. It seems you are always trying to make a case for the fact that 99.9% of the world are being bamboozled, and only you know the real truth.

Also, it was you that engaged me here (post 4).
    Last edited by conite; 06-08-21 at 08:16 AM.
    Smokeaire, BBuso77 and Draven2666 like this.
    06-08-21 07:56 AM
    You want to make it something more than a simple preference - and an outlier one at that. It seems you are always trying to make a case for the fact that 99.9% of the world are being bamboozled, and only you know the real truth.

Also, it was you that engaged me here (post 4).
    You say "once you get adjusted to tapping on glass, you'll never look back"

Yet, you have a Pixel 5, and you backed the Titan Pocket, despite voicing concerns about their lack of security. But because that thing has a keyboard, it sparked your interest.

Therefore, one could say that you "looked back".

Let's be honest here, typing on the Pixel 5, aside from the enhanced haptics it has compared to most slabs, is still as stale and innaccurate of an experience as typing on glass was 5 years ago.

If haptic feedback is disabled, there is essentially zero difference between typing on a $150 entry level phone, and a $1300 flagship.
    06-08-21 10:28 AM
    You say "once you get adjusted to tapping on glass, you'll never look back"

Yet, you have a Pixel 5, and you backed the Titan Pocket, despite voicing concerns about their lack of security. But because that thing has a keyboard, it sparked your interest.

Therefore, one could say that you "looked back".

Let's be honest here, typing on the Pixel 5, aside from the enhanced haptics it has compared to most slabs, is still as stale and innaccurate of an experience as typing on glass was 5 years ago.

If haptic feedback is disabled, there is essentially zero difference between typing on a $150 entry level phone, and a $1300 flagship.
    I've made it no secret about my preference for typing on physical keys. But I see it as just that - a preference. There is absolutely nothing intrinsically or meaningfully better about it.

And I'm fine with giving up a 5% preference for physical keys for the major gain on the large number of other advantages provided by a slab.

The word "stale" is yours. There is nothing empirically true about it.
    BBuso77 likes this.
    06-08-21 10:39 AM
    Agree. Never wanted a QWERTY PKB on my mobile phone, and it seems it was not a bad choice after all, as many PKB users face practical difficulties in adjusting to the VKB, some apparently even emotional pain.
    Of course, PKB faithful will tell me I don't know what I missed, but I am used to that. Before, I heard the same from Betamax VCR faithful, plasma TV faithful, HD DVD faithful and so on...

No offense to PKB lovers as I respect their preference, but they will never convince me that I need or want a PKB.
    Do you realize you are posting on a thread about a PKB device? No offense but if you will never be convinced that you would want or need a PKB device how much can you actually contribute to the OP who has realized how they miss using a PKB for their smartphone needs? It appears as if you actually have little to no respect for those that prefer a PKB for doing what they do on their devices.
    06-08-21 10:48 AM
    I've made it no secret about my preference for typing on physical keys. But I see it as just that - a preference. There is absolutely nothing intrinsically or meaningfully better about it.

And I'm fine with giving up a 5% preference for physical keys for the major gain on the large number of other advantages provided by a slab.

The word "stale" is yours. There is nothing empirically true about it.
    True that most people don't loudly call the slab typing experience as "stale" like I do, but who out there ever said they enjoyed it?
    Many of them subconsciously put the slab down and fire up their computer or iPad/PKB when they need to type anything more than a few sentences. That speaks volumes to me.
    Paulelmar18 and Stinkycat71 like this.
    06-08-21 10:50 AM
    True that most people don't loudly call the slab typing experience as "stale" like I do, but who out there ever said they enjoyed it?
    Many of them subconsciously put the slab down and fire up their computer or iPad/PKB when they need to type anything more than a few sentences. That speaks volumes to me.
    I enjoy communicating, and a virtual keyboard does not get in the way of me being able to do that. What more really needs to be said?

Do I enjoy using a toaster, or a TV, or do I simply not want the mechanisms themselves to get in the way of me enjoying a well cooked piece of bread, or a nice quality picture?
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    06-08-21 11:00 AM
    Do you realize you are posting on a thread about a PKB device? No offense but if you will never be convinced that you would want or need a PKB device how much can you actually contribute to the OP who has realized how they miss using a PKB for their smartphone needs? It appears as if you actually have little to no respect for those that prefer a PKB for doing what they do on their devices.
    I have no issue with OP, neither I did react to his/her post. I reacted to conite, who in turn reacted to a "PKB evangelization" post.
    As I repeat, I have no issue with ppl who use PKB devices. I have issue with (the small number of) people who are constantly telling everyone how bad VKB is, and how much VKB users are missing by not using the other, "sacred" input method.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    06-09-21 08:08 AM
    I will certainly look back. But I will also find a way to function on a slab.

That said, it I expect it will be a very frustrating transition. Indeed, I have been making it since I obtained my Priv 4+ years ago. I try to do both methods. But I i always find myself reverting to pkb.

In my work I use many proper names and technical words. Predictive text is useless and spell check is often more a hindrance than a help.

At some point pkb will be either gone or prohibitively expensive. We might be there soon actually. Until that time, I will use pkb phones. I will also use slabby phones to attempt to make ease the final move.

And at the risk of engaging in a controversy, I concur there are many benefits of a full glass phone. Few of those matter to me. But they clearly matter to the vast majority of consumers.

For my taste, if they made a modern android with the "Classic's " form factor, I would be in the first adopters. I have my Priv as a phablet for media. I want my daily phone as a power communicator. Largely email, but text and talk too.
    I actually find my texts to be more like short emails not typical texts. But that is another thread.
    06-09-21 09:31 AM

That said, it I expect it will be a very frustrating transition. Indeed, I have been making it since I obtained my Priv 4+ years ago. I try to do both methods. But I i always find myself reverting to pkb.

In my work I use many proper names and technical words. Predictive text is useless and spell check is often more a hindrance than a help.

At some point pkb will be either gone or prohibitively expensive. We might be there soon actually. Until that time, I will use pkb phones. I will also use slabby phones to attempt to make ease the final move.

And at the risk of engaging in a controversy, I concur there are many benefits of a full glass phone. Few of those matter to me. But they clearly matter to the vast majority of consumers.

For my taste, if they made a modern android with the "Classic's " form factor, I would be in the first adopters. I have my Priv as a phablet for media. I want my daily phone as a power communicator. Largely email, but text and talk too.
    I actually find my texts to be more like short emails not typical texts. But that is another thread.
    What do you think about the Titan Pocket?
    06-09-21 09:37 AM
    I have seen reports. It is a consideration, but many things I see are not really favorable. Plus I will need to fight with ATT in February anyway. If that is my only choice though, I will definitely try it out.
    06-09-21 10:08 AM

Predictive and autocorrect can work better for you, if you take the time to add those words to the User Dictionary... Helps with a VKB or a PKB.
    06-09-21 11:43 AM
    I read the entire series from first post to last and i found it really interesting so thanks everyone
    06-09-21 01:54 PM