Any New Priv Updates?
    03-25-21 01:42 AM
    Any New Priv Updates?
    What do you mean?

The Priv is from 2015, is long since out of production, and will forever be stuck on Android Marshmallow and a security patch 3.5 years old.

Blackberry has been out of the phone business since 2016.

A new company called Onward Mobility claims they will sell a new device later this year with a paid-for BlackBerry sticker on it, but no news as to the form-factor.
    03-25-21 07:04 AM
    Heck, I'm still waiting on any new Pearl updates...

John Albert likes this.
    03-25-21 10:25 AM
    Any New Priv Updates?
    Never give up hope.

https://www.theverge.com/platform/am...g-term-support
    03-25-21 10:30 AM
    Big difference there.....

Fairphone has always worked to make their hardware last longer and lessen the impact and cost to the environment.

BlackBerry was a business that failed and got out of the smartphone business and left the PRIV behind... after 3-1/2 years I think you can give up hope.

Would be cool if someone like Fairphone offered up a PKB option....
    03-25-21 10:47 AM
    Yeah would be awesome if there was a module with a smaller screen and PKB below it.
    03-25-21 11:12 AM
    Big difference there.....

Fairphone has always worked to make their hardware last longer and lessen the impact and cost to the environment.

BlackBerry was a business that failed and got out of the smartphone business and left the PRIV behind... after 3-1/2 years I think you can give up hope.

You think Fairphone was bigger than BlackBerry and or has more clout? They made it possible for this 2015 phone with a Qualcomm 801 (same as Passport ) eligible and certified for Android 9 which is still being supported. (Amazing and cool) Imagine for a moment how much less waste there would be if more companies were REALLY this concerned (and not lip service like shipping a 1000+ phone without a charger!!!) about e-waste and longevity. Certainly it would hammer OEM's and carriers profits but it sure as hell would be better for consumers and the planet so many tech companies faux support.
    03-25-21 01:19 PM
    Heck, I'm still waiting on any new Pearl updates...

Wait....................what about the big dog ?
    Attached Thumbnails Any New Priv info available?-img_20200316_115211.jpg   Any New Priv info available?-img_20170102_164012.jpg  
    03-25-21 04:20 PM
    You think Fairphone was bigger than BlackBerry and or has more clout? They made it possible for this 2015 phone with a Qualcomm 801 (same as Passport ) eligible and certified for Android 9 which is still being supported. (Amazing and cool) Imagine for a moment how much less waste there would be if more companies were REALLY this concerned (and not lip service like shipping a 1000+ phone without a charger!!!) about e-waste and longevity. Certainly it would hammer OEM's and carriers profits but it sure as hell would be better for consumers and the planet so many tech companies faux support.
    Never said bigger or more clout.... But Fairphone is still in the business of phones, BlackBerry, no so much. PRIV ain't getting an update.

I think there is a problem... but it goes way beyond people buying a new phone every 2- 3 years on average. How many plastics or paper Milk Cartons will the average family throw away in 2 - 3 years? How many paper or plastic Starbucks coffee cups will you go through in 2 - 3 years? How many AA or AAA batteries get thrown in the trash over 2 - 3 years by a household?

But Apple is doing a lot more for the environment than many companies.... they are on CDP's "A" list and have gotten United Nations recognition for their achievements in reducing carbon emissions world wide. In 2019 they were the largest corporate user of solar power in the US. And world wide they have issues over $4.9 billion in Green Bonds for clean energy projects. Removing chargers and reducing packaging is a tiny part of their "faux support" of the environment.

But in the end it's not up to Apple or Samsung or Mayfield Milk to force us to change.... WE as a society have to figure that out. But we can't even all agree that wearing mask in public is a good idea...
    03-26-21 09:46 AM
    Never said bigger or more clout.... But Fairphone is still in the business of phones, BlackBerry, no so much. PRIV ain't getting an update.

I think there is a problem... but it goes way beyond people buying a new phone every 2- 3 years on average. How many plastics or paper Milk Cartons will the average family throw away in 2 - 3 years? How many paper or plastic Starbucks coffee cups will you go through in 2 - 3 years? How many AA or AAA batteries get thrown in the trash over 2 - 3 years by a household?

But Apple is doing a lot more for the environment than many companies.... they are on CDP's "A" list and have gotten United Nations recognition for their achievements in reducing carbon emissions world wide. In 2019 they were the largest corporate user of solar power in the US. And world wide they have issues over $4.9 billion in Green Bonds for clean energy projects. Removing chargers and reducing packaging is a tiny part of their "faux support" of the environment.

But in the end it's not up to Apple or Samsung or Mayfield Milk to force us to change.... WE as a society have to figure that out. But we can't even all agree that wearing mask in public is a good idea...
    https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021...rom-lineageos/

I am well aware the PRIV is not getting an OS update or patching BUT it is possible as Fairphone has demonstrated with a small team. The main culprit for all Android OEM's has been Qualcomm in regards to longevity and support in the Android world. That's self serving to them, OEM's, carriers and yes shareholders. Software support and security has nothing to do with the capability of the actual hardware and that in smartphones (much more than computers) has been irrefutablely detrimental to the environment in every conceivable way.

I realize you now support and use Apple but they are far from a shinning beacon and example. Those clowns were caught red handed slowing down with software changes previous models of devices on new releases and OS versions to simply condition users to upgrade unnecessarily. (Complete Jerks! And I am really being nice here)

Similar to classical Pavlovian conditioning users (including myself at times) salivate unnecessarily each year @ March for Samsung and September for Apple when the device in their hand is still likely perfectly capable of meeting the needs of what 99 percent of mobile phone users use their devices for. (Messanging, calls, (unfortunately) Social Media, games and photos.)

Thankfully Google, Samsung and others see or are being directed by user choices to support devices longer. It is so dang ridiculous that a 300 dollar Chromebook and all its hardware get 8 years official support and a 1000+ dollar Android (and now cheaper with Samsung Galaxy A line) have to feel good about 4+ years. Say all you want about Chrome vs Android it's illogical to accept such a short window.

I have a vehicle I paid good money for now 9 years ago. I keep it in excellent condition and maintained and you would never know it's age in form and function. I have also now enjoyed 5 years void of a monthly car payment. Certainly it doesn't have all the latest security and safety of newer models but it sure as heck meets my needs.
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    03-26-21 10:43 AM
    It is so dang ridiculous that a 300 dollar Chromebook and all its hardware get 8 years official support.
    It's not ridiculous. It's easy to update a browser.

On Android, SoC performance has increased 16x compared to 8 years ago. Since most apps are built for the latest hardware, that leaves older devices in the dust. Innovation is simply accelerating too quickly on handsets to maintain that kind of backward compatibility.
    03-26-21 10:54 AM
    It's not ridiculous. It's easy to update a browser.

On Android, SoC performance has increased 16x compared to 8 years ago. Since most apps are built for the latest hardware, that leaves older devices in the dust. Innovation is simply accelerating too quickly on handsets to maintain that kind of backward compatibility.
    All apps now run on Chromebooks and know dang good and well they are more than a "browser" as Chrome OS has matured.

Fairphone, a small as heck company, jumped through all the rediculous hoops to certify Android 9 and the apps on an 801 Passport SOC.

One can drink all the "Kool-Aid" they want but consumers have been duped by the chip manufacturers, OEM's and carriers along the way in regards to smartphone land support. Not doing so is big business..
    03-26-21 11:15 AM
    All apps now run on Chromebooks and know dang good and well they are more than a "browser" as Chrome OS has matured.

Fairphone, a small as heck company, jumped through all the rediculous hoops to certify Android 9 and the apps on an 801 Passport SOC.

One can drink all the "Kool-Aid" they want but consumers have been duped by the chip manufacturers, OEM's and carriers along the way in regards to smartphone land support. Not doing so is big business..
    A Chromebook may have an Android Runtime, but it's still just a browser.

There aren't many hoops to go through. Provided their suppliers have the relevant hardware drivers, Android can pretty much be loaded onto anything. It's just that most OEMs won't go back that far with hardware, because the experience sucks.

Have you actually had the pleasure of USING Android 9 on a device with a 801 SoC and 2GB of old ram?
    Last edited by conite; 03-26-21 at 12:15 PM.
    03-26-21 11:36 AM
    A Chromebook may have an Android Runtime, but it's still just a browser.

There aren't many hoops to go through. Provided their suppliers have the relevant hardware drivers, Android can pretty much be loaded onto anything. It's just that most OEMs won't go back that far with hardware, because the experience sucks.

Have you actually had the pleasure of USING Android 9 on a device with a 801 SoC and 2GB of old ram?
    I use a 9th gen Fire HD 10 on Android 9 with a Mediatek chip and 2GB RAM. It does just fine. Passport has 3GB RAM and 801 if I recollect correctly. Priv has 3GB and the 808 super heater Qualcomm should have refunded every OEM and user for or fixed it's issues with software.

Dang playing around with my Passport and this thing zips along just fine...

Via my White BlackBerry Passport
    03-26-21 03:41 PM
    I use a 9th gen Fire HD 10 on Android 9 with a Mediatek chip and 2GB RAM. It does just fine. Passport has 3GB RAM and 801 if I recollect correctly. Priv has 3GB and the 808 super heater Qualcomm should have refunded every OEM and user for or fixed it's issues with software.

Dang playing around with my Passport and this thing zips along just fine...

Via my White BlackBerry Passport
    The 2014 Passport is fine running a 2013 OS, yes. But that's not what we're talking about.

And the 12nm, 64-bit Helio P60T SoC in your Kindle is 3x the speed (Antutu) and sucks half the battery of the 28nm, 32bit 801. The Kindle's ram is also double the clock speed of the Passport's ram.
    Last edited by conite; 03-26-21 at 04:44 PM.
    bh7171 likes this.
    03-26-21 03:43 PM
    The 2014 Passport is fine running a 2013 OS, yes. But that's not what we're talking about.

And the 12nm, 64-bit Helio P60T SoC in your Kindle is 3x the speed (Antutu) and sucks half the battery of the 28nm, 32bit 801. The Kindle's ram is also double the clock speed of the Passport's ram.
    facts....facts again with the facts....lol
    03-26-21 04:47 PM