Can I update my playbook to use Android apps
    03-12-21 09:46 AM
    Can I update my playbook to use Android apps
    No.

Of course, you can buy a brand new Kindle Fire HD 8 for $90.
    Last edited by conite; 03-12-21 at 10:24 AM.
    pdr733 and bh7171 like this.
    03-12-21 10:14 AM
    No.

Of course, you can buy a Kindle Fire HD 8 Plus for $140.
    Far less than that. I picked mine up on a sale for @ 85 dollars. Threw on GPS in 4 easy steps and have all the apps I use. Excellent tablet for all tablet like things. Only gripe is the rear camera. I know tablets are not used much for that but I do have some use cases and a 8 MP would be much better than the 2. The front is fine for video calls. Size is ideal
    03-12-21 10:29 AM
    Far less than that. I picked mine up on a sale for @ 85 dollars. Threw on GPS in 4 easy steps and have all the apps I use. Excellent tablet for all tablet like things. Only gripe is the rear camera. I know tablets are not used much for that but I do have some use cases and a 8 MP would be much better than the 2. The front is fine for video calls. Size is ideal
    I had originally quoted the 8 Plus at $140. But yes, the 8 is listed at $90, and can sometimes be found even cheaper.

Great value.
    03-12-21 10:34 AM
    I had originally quoted the 8 Plus at $140. But yes, the 8 is listed at $90, and can sometimes be found even cheaper.

Great value.
    It is a phenomenal value for a tablet. Mine is the slate 3GB HD8 plus. It was on sale for 84.99 last August when I picked mine up. I traded in two older '16 6th gen HD8's and received an immediate 20 dollar credit and also an additional 20% off for purchasing another tablet. It came out @ 48 dollars in my situation. Android-img_20210312_0917047.jpgAndroid-img_20210312_0919026.jpg
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    03-12-21 11:26 AM
    It is a phenomenal value for a tablet. Mine is the slate 3GB HD8 plus. It was on sale for 84.99 last August when I picked mine up. I traded in two older '16 6th gen HD8's and received an immediate 20 dollar credit and also an additional 20% off for purchasing another tablet. It came out @ 48 dollars in my situation. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210312_0917047.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	79.9 KB 
ID:	450482Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210312_0919026.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	450483
    Awesome deal!
    03-12-21 11:57 AM
    Awesome deal!
    While it is a great deal it is hampered by Amazon. There version of Android is neither friendly or fast, if you think Google is/was bad with tracking you; welcome to the world of Amazon. You get what you pay for, cheap tablet 100% tracking.
    03-13-21 10:09 AM
    While it is a great deal it is hampered by Amazon. There version of Android is neither friendly or fast, if you think Google is/was bad with tracking you; welcome to the world of Amazon. You get what you pay for, cheap tablet 100% tracking.
    I turned on developer options and reduced animations. I also run NetGuard Pro as I know Amazon is always watching. For how I use my tablet (reading, recipes, hands free Alexa, show mode, YouTube, Netflix, Disney+) ,basically chill time, it does everything perfectly acceptable.
    03-13-21 10:53 AM
    I got a Kindle Fire 8 tablet at the flea market for $1. I found a you tube video that shows you how to root and install Android 7. Now I have a nice tablet and it only cost $1 and a little time to mod it.
    03-13-21 12:10 PM
    Out of the box, I agree, but they're like the easier tablets in the world to tweak. Given the price point, no complaints here.
    Last edited by mh1983; 03-13-21 at 02:29 PM.
    bh7171 likes this.
    03-13-21 02:11 PM
    They're like the easier tablets in the world to tweak.
    Yes there is a toolbox on XDR that strips all things Amazon from the Fire tablets if desired.

I have found their version of Fire OS 7 (Android Pie/9) works very well and because I am a Prime member have no interest in removing beneficial content for me.
    03-13-21 02:27 PM
    Yes there is a toolbox on XDR that strips all things Amazon from the Fire tablets if desired.

I have found their version of Fire OS 7 (Android Pie/9) works very well and because I am a Prime member have no interest in removing beneficial content for me.
    XDR.......................I am listening
    03-13-21 02:46 PM
    I think you are referring to XDA Developers.
    bh7171 and anon(5597702) like this.
    03-13-21 03:44 PM
    I think you are referring to XDA Developers.
    yep, that's what I meant.
    03-13-21 04:00 PM
    I turned on developer options and reduced animations. I also run NetGuard Pro as I know Amazon is always watching. For how I use my tablet (reading, recipes, hands free Alexa, show mode, YouTube, Netflix, Disney+) ,basically chill time, it does everything perfectly acceptable.
    You are worried about Amazon tracking you but still use Alexa?
    03-13-21 04:26 PM
    You are worried about Amazon tracking you but still use Alexa?
    Yeah it's handy and I can wipe history. Especially with my Amazon Music
    03-13-21 04:53 PM
    https://www.xda-developers.com/amazo...-fire-tablets/
    03-14-21 12:01 PM
    03-14-21 12:06 PM
    Manage Everything Amazon – Disables/hides every app installed by Amazon from the tablet.

Remove Lockscreen Ads – Installs Automate, and Amazon Lockscreen Ads Blocker 4.5 automatically.

Install Google Services – Installs the Google Framework, and the Play Store.

Power Options – Allows you to force the tablet to power off, reboot, boot into Recovery, and boot into Download Mode.

Install YouTube Vanced – Installs the modified version of YouTube that includes Background playback, Adblocking, resolution force, etc.

Install Smart Youtube TV – Installs the Youtube client found on Smart TVs, and gaming consoles. It supports 4K video, doesn’t require Google Services, ads are blocked, and it is designed with big screens in mind.

Built-in-Updater – An updater that checks for the latest versions of the Toolbox and installs them.

WallChanger – Change lockscreen wallpaper to a custom image.

Lockscreen Wallpaper – Sets the lockscreen wallpaper to a custom wallpaper (Gens 8+ only).

ADB Shell – Starts a ADB shell.

Restore Everything Amazon – enables/unhides ALL Amazon apps back onto the tablet.

Sideload Apps – Sideload any app streight onto your tablet.

Parental Control Hide – Hides all dialogs produced by Parental controls.

Install Google Assistant – Replaces Alexa with Google Assistant.

Driver Detector – Detects and installs Fire tablet drivers if needed.

Density Modifier – Changes the Pixel Density (DPI) to custom values.

Manual Restore/Remove – Allows the user to manually select apps to restore/remove.

System Backup/Restore – Creates system backups, and can even restore them!

Screen Recorder – Records the tablet’s screen without using third party tools (sound or mic isn’t recorded).

Screen Capture – Takes a screenshot of everything on the tablet’s screen.

Custom Launcher – Allows the installation of custom launchers.

TBShell – Toolbox Shell that allows the use of modifications without changing settings from within the Toolbox itself.

Hybrid Apps – Allows the user to install Netflix and Disney+ without the use of the Amazon Store.

Modify System Settings – Change the status of the Navigation bar, disable automatic system/app updates, and turn off Over The Air Updates

User Management – Adds and removes user profiles.

Push and Pull – Copy files to tablet, and copy files from tablet to PC.

All things the Amazon Fire Toolbox can do if warranted- So unless one is worried about top notch cameras the Fire HD8 plus is really a capable tablet and screaming deal.
    03-14-21 12:14 PM
    Manage Everything Amazon – Disables/hides every app installed by Amazon from the tablet.

Remove Lockscreen Ads – Installs Automate, and Amazon Lockscreen Ads Blocker 4.5 automatically.

Install Google Services – Installs the Google Framework, and the Play Store.

Power Options – Allows you to force the tablet to power off, reboot, boot into Recovery, and boot into Download Mode.

Install YouTube Vanced – Installs the modified version of YouTube that includes Background playback, Adblocking, resolution force, etc.

Install Smart Youtube TV – Installs the Youtube client found on Smart TVs, and gaming consoles. It supports 4K video, doesn’t require Google Services, ads are blocked, and it is designed with big screens in mind.

Built-in-Updater – An updater that checks for the latest versions of the Toolbox and installs them.

WallChanger – Change lockscreen wallpaper to a custom image.

Lockscreen Wallpaper – Sets the lockscreen wallpaper to a custom wallpaper (Gens 8+ only).

ADB Shell – Starts a ADB shell.

Restore Everything Amazon – enables/unhides ALL Amazon apps back onto the tablet.

Sideload Apps – Sideload any app streight onto your tablet.

Parental Control Hide – Hides all dialogs produced by Parental controls.

Install Google Assistant – Replaces Alexa with Google Assistant.

Driver Detector – Detects and installs Fire tablet drivers if needed.

Density Modifier – Changes the Pixel Density (DPI) to custom values.

Manual Restore/Remove – Allows the user to manually select apps to restore/remove.

System Backup/Restore – Creates system backups, and can even restore them!

Screen Recorder – Records the tablet’s screen without using third party tools (sound or mic isn’t recorded).

Screen Capture – Takes a screenshot of everything on the tablet’s screen.

Custom Launcher – Allows the installation of custom launchers.

TBShell – Toolbox Shell that allows the use of modifications without changing settings from within the Toolbox itself.

Hybrid Apps – Allows the user to install Netflix and Disney+ without the use of the Amazon Store.

Modify System Settings – Change the status of the Navigation bar, disable automatic system/app updates, and turn off Over The Air Updates

User Management – Adds and removes user profiles.

Push and Pull – Copy files to tablet, and copy files from tablet to PC.

All things the Amazon Fire Toolbox can do if warranted- So unless one is worried about top notch cameras the Fire HD8 plus is really a capable tablet and screaming deal.
    Fantastic......................................tha nk you very much ! !

That gets TWO WOOFS ! !
    Attached Thumbnails Android-img_20170102_164012.jpg  
    bh7171 and anon(5597702) like this.
    03-14-21 05:36 PM
    Fantastic......................................tha nk you very much ! !

That gets TWO WOOFS ! !
    Sully approves the WOOFS! Android-img_20210312_1608226.jpgAndroid-img_20210314_1539349.jpg
    03-14-21 05:47 PM