I keep hearing about the shutdown of 3G coming within the next year, I understand that these phones are not supported by VoLTE, and that they use 3G for calls and text, and 4G for data. I guess my question is, what about WhatsApp?

Can't we continue to use these phones through WhatsApp to make calls and text? I believe that WhatsApp is entirely based on data, correct?
    02-11-21 12:44 PM
    Problem if your phone doesn't meet the requirements, most likely the carrier is going to kick it off anyway.

But if you can still get a connection, yes you could use WhatApp or other VoIP solutions (that still support BB10). But who knows if WhatsApp will work a year from now on BB10?
    02-11-21 01:10 PM
    Definitely getting uncertain as time goes on. I guess I will have to figure out a way of putting a android rom on the passport as time goes on. (Assuming the carrier doesn't kick the device off the network)
    02-11-21 01:22 PM
    I guess I will have to figure out a way of putting a android rom on the passport as time goes on. (
    Not possible to do. BB10 is locked down and your device CANNOT be rooted. You will need a new device when the time comes.
    02-11-21 02:10 PM
    Keyone, here I come.
    02-11-21 02:15 PM
    Keyone, here I come.
    The KEYone too is essentially EOL. It hasn't seen an Android security patch (which BlackBerry themselves state is critically important) in almost 2 years.

You can get a few more months of use from a North American KEY² though.
    02-11-21 03:13 PM
    Keyone, here I come.
    Welcome to CrackBerry!!!! Post early and post often.....

I wouldn’t consider a KEYone at this point. As conite suggests a Key2 but that’s also not guaranteed much runway and for the selling price, not a good deal
    02-11-21 03:30 PM
    I'm guessing this is why there is so much hype around the new 5g blackberry announcement?
    02-11-21 03:35 PM
    I'm guessing this is why there is so much hype around the new 5g blackberry announcement?
    Yes and no. OM is a new licensee of the BB name after TCL dropped the BB license agreement. We’re really not sure if or when another BB will happen.
    02-11-21 04:59 PM
    But who knows if WhatsApp will work a year from now on BB10?
    Lol, we kept hearing that "it can stop working at any moment" back in January 2018 when the BB10 version of WhatsApp shut down.

Here we are, over three years later and the Android WhatsApp not only still works, but even better than it did before as it no longer needs an SD card or WhatsFixer to work properly.
    anon(5597702) and mikael11 like this.
    02-11-21 06:00 PM
    Sure - but that won't help most people if the phone can't be used on the cellular network because the carrier boots it off as unsupported. Not many people care that it would still be usable on WiFi - that doesn't solve their mobility issue.
    02-11-21 09:13 PM
    Yes and no. OM is a new licensee of the BB name after TCL dropped the BB license agreement. We’re really not sure if or when another BB will happen.
    To be fair, TCL didn't drop the agreement. BB chose not to renew them - big difference.

From the dying embers of BB10 using an OG Passport.
    02-12-21 01:48 AM
    The KEYone too is essentially EOL. It hasn't seen an Android security patch (which BlackBerry themselves state is critically important) in almost 2 years.

You can get a few more months of use from a North American KEY² though.
    Conite, why would the KEY² be considered EOL in a few months? Strictly because of security patches? I'm counting on using my KEY² for the long haul, once BB10s are unusable for text/calling...I figured since it's fully android, there shouldn't be a problem with my carrier...?

Posted via my awesome  Passport 😍
    02-12-21 04:24 AM
    To be fair, TCL didn't drop the agreement. BB chose not to renew them - big difference.

From the dying embers of BB10 using an OG Passport.
    This is not accurate. TCL withdrew from the licensing agreement 2 years before it was otherwise due to end.
    pdr733 and Troy Tiscareno like this.
    02-12-21 04:43 AM
    Conite, why would the KEY² be considered EOL in a few months? Strictly because of security patches? I'm counting on using my KEY² for the long haul, once BB10s are unusable for text/calling...I figured since it's fully android, there shouldn't be a problem with my carrier...?

Posted via my awesome  Passport
    I don't consider an Android device to be safe 3 months after its last security patch. Nor does Google.

Not to mention Android Oreo is 3 OS versions behind.
    rarsen likes this.
    02-12-21 04:46 AM
    I don't consider an Android device to be safe 3 months after its last security patch. Nor does Google.

Not to mention Android Oreo is 3 OS versions behind.
    Yes, I definitely won't be banking or shopping with my Key2----I'm only expecting to use calls/text/emails. If that always works, I'm happy with that :-)

Posted via my awesome  Passport 😍
    02-12-21 05:15 AM
    Citation please...
    02-12-21 06:21 AM
    Citation please...
    I am assuming you are asking me about Google's thoughts on the matter of patching? Quoting instead of replying to a thread is helpful.

A rule of the Android Enterprise Recommended program, is to provide patches within 90 days of release - or quarterly patches. Google feels this is the minimum acceptable for businesses to consider a phone safe.
    02-12-21 06:56 AM
    This is not accurate. TCL withdrew from the licensing agreement 2 years before it was otherwise due to end.
    My Bad. I don't spend my life on Crackberry and have all of the commenting commands memorized. It does seem that 'replying' to a post should mean that I'm replying to the post where that command exists..but I digress..

I meant 'citation' in regards to your source that TCL pulled out, not BB...
    02-12-21 07:07 AM
    My Bad. I don't spend my life on Crackberry and have all of the commenting commands memorized. It does seem that 'replying' to a post should mean that I'm replying to the post where that command exists..but I digress..

I meant 'citation' in regards to your source that TCL pulled out, not BB...
    It was a 5 year agreement. TCL informed BlackBerry it would not renew and wanted out during the summer of the 4th year. They waited until supply channels were sufficiently cleared before announcing to the public that they no longer wished to carry the brand.

BlackBerry either didn't care enough to litigate, or there was an escape clause in the agreement.
    02-12-21 07:14 AM
    Thanks God we have active 2g in germany

Posted via CB10
    Winnertrack and elfabio80 like this.
    02-15-21 03:10 PM
    Thanks God we have active 2g in germany

Posted via CB10
    In Latvia here we also have active 2G. Rumors stating that 'in coming year 2G and 3G will shutdown started in 2015, but officials from telecom companies stated that there's a still a lot of 2G users and in nearest future they are not planning to shutdown it. A lot of telemetry devices, modems, m2m devices, iot devices use that standart. Not only old phones.

Posted via CB10
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    03-03-21 03:49 AM
    I just read this from ATT: Update: As of January 19, 2021, we no longer activate phones that don’t support HD Voice since they won’t be compatible on our network when 3G shuts down.

Doesn't the PP support HD Voice? At least the ATT PP? I have seen HD pop up in phone calls and it sounds much better. Is this HD Voice?

Posted via CB10
    03-16-21 11:01 AM
    I just read this from ATT: Update: As of January 19, 2021, we no longer activate phones that don’t support HD Voice since they won’t be compatible on our network when 3G shuts down.

Doesn't the PP support HD Voice? At least the ATT PP? I have seen HD pop up in phone calls and it sounds much better. Is this HD Voice?

Posted via CB10
    AT&T has a list of phones that will be supported after the shutdown of 3G. The AT&T PP is not listed. On their list of phones it comes up as a 3G device.
    03-16-21 03:11 PM

Posted via CB10
    No....
    03-16-21 08:47 PM
34 12