Hi!

Former bold user from 2010 and wanted to get this forum's thoughts on buying an old blackberry for the sole purpose of taking notes!

I got so frustrated with my galaxy s9 keyboard the other day that I started looking at getting a blackberry as a second device (wifi only) whose sole purpose is note taking. All I want to be able to do is take notes with a physical keyboard (having indentable bullet points would be great), and have those notes sync to the web somewhere. So I'm thinking evernote or some other note taking app with cloud syncing would be perfect. Having spotify, email, google hangouts, and whatsapp would be a bonus but not critical as I would still be packing my S9.

What do you think? Would the Classic be the right device for this use case? I like that it has the touchpad thingy plus a solid keyboard and reasonably high DPI. Looking at recent ebay history, I can probably get a verizon bb classic for $30 ish if I wait for a deal which seems reasonable for a single-purpose device. It's about as much as a nice leather bound paper notebook!

Also which note taking app would you suggest? I considered just using email, but I would like to be able to go back to edit notes, so sending emails to myself would not be ideal.

Reading the info on Jan '21 EOL, I'm still not sure if the a blackberry classic will work for this very limited purpose.

What i have in mind is a device I use to take notes while I'm reading. So I have my book and my blackberry and no distractions.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Eric
    11-11-20 02:07 PM
    11-11-20 03:41 PM
    Hi!

Former bold user from 2010 and wanted to get this forum's thoughts on buying an old blackberry for the sole purpose of taking notes!

I got so frustrated with my galaxy s9 keyboard the other day that I started looking at getting a blackberry as a second device (wifi only) whose sole purpose is note taking. All I want to be able to do is take notes with a physical keyboard (having indentable bullet points would be great), and have those notes sync to the web somewhere. So I'm thinking evernote or some other note taking app with cloud syncing would be perfect. Having spotify, email, google hangouts, and whatsapp would be a bonus but not critical as I would still be packing my S9.

What do you think? Would the Classic be the right device for this use case? I like that it has the touchpad thingy plus a solid keyboard and reasonably high DPI. Looking at recent ebay history, I can probably get a verizon bb classic for $30 ish if I wait for a deal which seems reasonable for a single-purpose device. It's about as much as a nice leather bound paper notebook!

Also which note taking app would you suggest? I considered just using email, but I would like to be able to go back to edit notes, so sending emails to myself would not be ideal.

Reading the info on Jan '21 EOL, I'm still not sure if the a blackberry classic will work for this very limited purpose.

What i have in mind is a device I use to take notes while I'm reading. So I have my book and my blackberry and no distractions.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Eric
    Any BB10 BlackBerry will be great for this use case. The best way to sync it will be to use either the free Outlook.com service or Microsoft Exchange Online, which is included in many subscription packages.

You'll want to add your Microsoft account to your device, syncing notes and tasks, then set up a folder in the BlackBerry Remember app that syncs with it.

BB10 is no longer supported, but on WiFi this should work indefinitely, as Microsoft has not indicated any substantial changes to its web-based services, and they typically give plenty of notice for features like this that are used by tens of thousands of enterprises.

Posted via CB10
    engreeks1 and engreeks1 like this.
    11-11-20 03:56 PM
    Any BB10 BlackBerry will be great for this use case. The best way to sync it will be to use either the free Outlook.com service or Microsoft Exchange Online, which is included in many subscription packages.

You'll want to add your Microsoft account to your device, syncing notes and tasks, then set up a folder in the BlackBerry Remember app that syncs with it.

BB10 is no longer supported, but on WiFi this should work indefinitely, as Microsoft has not indicated any substantial changes to its web-based services, and they typically give plenty of notice for features like this that are used by tens of thousands of enterprises.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for the quick reply! I would need to use outlook.com as I don't have exchange subscription.

I see the "notes" section in the outlook.com web interface. Is this where my blackberry synced notes would show up? Is the blackberry remember app already installed on the Classic?
    11-11-20 04:55 PM
    Let me run a quick test to ensure its working for Outlook.com as I remember. I use an Exchange Online ($4 a month) subscription, so I need to add my old account to make sure it works properly on Outlook.com.

Posted via CB10
    engreeks1 likes this.
    11-11-20 05:22 PM
    Let me run a quick test to ensure its working for Outlook.com as I remember. I use an Exchange Online ($4 a month) subscription, so I need to add my old account to make sure it works properly on Outlook.com.
    Much appreciated!
    11-11-20 05:23 PM
    OK. I just deleted and re-added a personal Outlook.com account. Unfortunately, Microsoft has deprecated Notes in its Web app so that it's not possible to sync them with the BlackBerry Remember app.

I can still do this with my Exchange account, but not with the free Outlook.com account.

It IS possible to sync tasks, which can be used like notes, but not notes themselves.

Posted via CB10
    11-11-20 06:54 PM
    Ah bummer - well I appreciate you looking into this. Maybe I should just spend some time working on my on-screen keyboard based typing instead. It seems like these BB10 devices really are reaching EOL even for simple things like syncing a note to the cloud!
    11-11-20 07:00 PM
    In this case, nothing has broken in BB10. Microsoft has removed the notes functionality in Outlook.com.

BB10 still has a robust Notes function but the only reliable way to sync them is through a paid Exchange account.

Microsoft sees OneNote, which is more powerful, but more complex as well, as it's new Notes app, replacing the old "Sticky Notes" of Outlook. But OneNote doesn't sync with BB10.

It is a bummer. I'm glad I still can use Notes with my Microsoft acct.

Posted via CB10
    engreeks1 likes this.
    11-11-20 07:07 PM
    Evernote sync is an option too with some finagling (a few threads on that subject) but how long it will last is another question.

Posted via CB10
    engreeks1 likes this.
    11-11-20 07:09 PM
    Evernote sync is an option too with some finagling (a few threads on that subject) but how long it will last is another question.

Posted via CB10
    Yes I did see some info on evernote in google searches. I think the risk of third parties like evernote and microsoft withdrawing support for BB10 is starting to crystallize for me.

If I really want a keyboard I'll need to look at the more expensive android based BB devices.
    11-11-20 07:30 PM
    If you can google and download Microsoft OneNote: 15.0.3930.1007 it works on BB10 devices

Posted via CB10
    engreeks1 likes this.
    11-13-20 09:06 AM
    I think its a good idea, but the apps available are getting worse. The browser could make a nice editor but nothing tailored to the webkit version available that I know of.

Posted via CB10
    engreeks1 likes this.
    11-17-20 01:02 PM
    Thanks for all the feedback guys! I decided to just stick with my samsung on screen keyboard and try to get better at typing on it. Seems like a ticking time bomb with the BB10 apps dropping support at any moment.
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    11-17-20 07:05 PM
    Yes I did see some info on evernote in google searches. I think the risk of third parties like evernote and microsoft withdrawing support for BB10 is starting to crystallize for me.

If I really want a keyboard I'll need to look at the more expensive android based BB devices.
    Evernote has its advantages,it is worth setting up if your interest is in a note taker.
    This app is essential.
    Clipman Clipboard Manager

Compose

Posted via CB10
    11-19-20 07:03 AM
    I don't know which Samsung you have but until the S8 there was a pkb accessory which can be snap on the smartphone. I have tried it on the s7 edge and except the missing backlight it was a good experience.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-20 07:46 AM
    I don't know which Samsung you have but until the S8 there was a pkb accessory which can be snap on the smartphone. I have tried it on the s7 edge and except the missing backlight it was a good experience.

Posted via CB10
    Yep, I tried both the PKB case on the S8 and S8+. The overall experience is very similar of course, but the S8+ being wider, the keys of the case are also wider which helps alot with accuracy.

The keys do require a bit more force to depress than the usual Berry, but are alot easier than the Unihertz Titan.

They also have this rubbery feel which is quite grippy, and therefore feels very different than the glossy ones of the KEYone. The latter being a better overall keyboard of course.

I believe you can currently find a case both for the S8 and for the S8+ on eBay. They're not cheap, but it's the price to pay.

Funny thing is, the S8 family is still being updated with quarterly patches until March 2021. They launched over a year before the KEY2 and will be supported longer overall lol.
    11-19-20 07:59 AM
    Hi, may I ask you if it's still possible to add free @outlook.com account to BB10 device through Microsoft EAS? I struggle to do so.
    09-01-22 03:54 AM