Back and home work fine, but no response from the Overview (square) button. Any ideas of why or what I can try to fix it?

I do not have a screen protector or case that overlaps. I have tried restarting. No response.

Also, is there an alternative? Like, how do I see what apps are running (and close them) if I can't get the overview button to respond?

Thanks.
    07-26-20 10:17 PM
    Back and home work fine, but no response from the Overview (square) button. Any ideas of why or what I can try to fix it?

I do not have a screen protector or case that overlaps. I have tried restarting. No response.

Also, is there an alternative? Like, how do I see what apps are running (and close them) if I can't get the overview button to respond?

Thanks.
    Android apps don't actually run in the background, but they do occupy ram. Normally Android can manage this, but it can be an issue on a device with 3GB of ram or less.

Try holding down the power button for a full 32 seconds.
    07-26-20 10:24 PM
    Android apps don't actually run in the background, but they do occupy ram. Normally Android can manage this, but it can be an issue on a device with 3GB of ram or less.

Try holding down the power button for a full 32 seconds.
    Thanks. Alas, the 32 second reboot did not work.

I guess it's just habit - I close all apps if I'm not currently using it. I guess there's no other way to get the "clear all" prompt without the overview button. Sucks.

I just don't understand how it stops working all of a sudden. I've had this phone for 11 months.
    07-26-20 10:34 PM
    Thanks. Alas, the 32 second reboot did not work.

I guess it's just habit - I close all apps if I'm not currently using it. I guess there's no other way to get the "clear all" prompt without the overview button. Sucks.

I just don't understand how it stops working all of a sudden. I've had this phone for 11 months.
    You could always try a factory reset.
    07-26-20 10:35 PM
    You could always try a factory reset.
    Thanks, I may give that a go. The implication is that it's a software issue, not hardware (like a dead screen area)?
    07-26-20 10:42 PM
    Thanks, I may give that a go. The implication is that it's a software issue, not hardware (like a dead screen area)?
    It's the only thing left to try.
    07-26-20 10:43 PM
    Thank you.
    07-26-20 10:57 PM
    I didn't realize there was such a thing . . . but there are apps that will emulate the three keys. I downloaded this one:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...llReviews=true

and it is working brilliantly. One I downloaded didn't have this option, but this one does: you can choose to have one, two or three of the buttons. So you can make an identical duplicate row across the bottom. Or, you can move it around. For me, I chose to show just the overview (recents, square) button. I made it fairly transparent, and centered it right above the bottom of "all apps" icon, and it's small enough that I can still press "all apps" if needed.

I have no idea why my overview button stopped working, but this is a fairly simple work-around.
    07-27-20 02:40 PM