"An internal T-Mobile document obtained by Android Police pictured below states that starting August 4th of this year — mere weeks from now — T-Mobile will require all new devices on the network to support Voice over LTE (VoLTE). Existing customers with a non-compatible phone won't be immediately impacted, but starting in January 2021, all incompatible devices will no longer be able to use T-Mobile, possibly at all. Affected customers will receive a text informing them of the change "in the near future.""

Are Blackberry Key phones VoLTE?

07-25-20 09:13 AM
    "An internal T-Mobile document obtained by Android Police pictured below states that starting August 4th of this year — mere weeks from now — T-Mobile will require all new devices on the network to support Voice over LTE (VoLTE). Existing customers with a non-compatible phone won't be immediately impacted, but starting in January 2021, all incompatible devices will no longer be able to use T-Mobile, possibly at all. Affected customers will receive a text informing them of the change "in the near future.""

No issue with PRIV, KEYone, KEY2
    07-25-20 09:20 AM

TMO has been more accepting of BYOD than other carriers. AT&T only allows VoLTE to devices they sell.
    Leather_nun likes this.
    07-25-20 09:31 AM
    No issue with PRIV, KEYone, KEY2
    TMO has been more accepting of BYOD than other carriers. AT&T only allows VoLTE to devices they sell.
    It’s unfortunately a mixed bag with all three now.

AT&T supports VoLTE on it’s own carrier locked hardware USUALLY but has fine print as escape clause. It’s the same policy that disallowed WFC on my AT&T KEYone for instance.

VZW doesn’t care where you purchased the hardware as long as it’s certified. However again, we do see exceptions to rule similar to AT&T with Key2 and Key2 LE for instance.

T-Mobile and Sprint were completely opposite ends of the spectrum with AT&T or VZW policies in between. Now that T-Mobile and Sprint are becoming one, that letter or email confirms what I was told by a store manager I know. Their policy will become more like AT&T since part of the Sprint purchase value is that ALL their customers pretty much buy carrier locked since that’s what they’re used to having to do.
    07-25-20 10:12 AM
    What about BB10 devices? They have to be T-Mobile branded or what?
    07-25-20 10:15 AM
    Even branded, they are probably not going to be supported at all once they go all in on VoLTE. Just like AT&T.

Even though BlackBerry added the IMS feature way back in the 10.2 days to work with VoLTE, the carriers decided to do something different that won't work with the BB10 phones. Or, more than likely, just didn't want to include BB10 phones.
    YDShine likes this.
    07-25-20 10:45 AM
    Even branded, they are probably not going to be supported at all once they go all in on VoLTE. Just like AT&T.

Even though BlackBerry added the IMS feature way back in the 10.2 days to work with VoLTE, the carriers decided to do something different that won't work with the BB10 phones. Or, more than likely, just didn't want to include BB10 phones.
    Ya, I doubt they will work once 3G is dropped.
    07-25-20 10:55 AM
    Will the Motion work on TMO (thru Mint Mobile) post Jan 2021?
    MadMalthus likes this.
    07-25-20 12:34 PM
    I really think this kinda business practice is bull****. They keep closing doors on older tech, when older tech works just fine. How much extra does it really cost to maintain 2G? To allow phones to use WiFi calling? To keep 3G running? Why do they do this?

When I'm abroad I have better service because they are running those old bands.

Will BlackBerry still work if you pay for BES?
    Crys Dow likes this.
    07-25-20 12:43 PM
    Will the Motion work on TMO (thru Mint Mobile) post Jan 2021?
    We'll see what their policy will be on BYOD closer to the transition.
    07-25-20 12:56 PM
    I thought it was a technology decision coupled with a business decision to focus on the merger and simplify the integration of the Sprint and T Mobile networks? if so, doesn't that leave all the older technology out in the cold?
    07-25-20 01:46 PM
    It's not just T-Mobile, though. Everyone's doing this.
    07-25-20 01:51 PM
    I thought it was a technology decision coupled with a business decision to focus on the merger and simplify the integration of the Sprint and T Mobile networks? if so, doesn't that leave all the older technology out in the cold?
    That’s partly the idea. Spurring along needed revenue during troubling economic times. Merger has to be paid for somehow....
    07-25-20 01:56 PM
    It's not just T-Mobile, though. Everyone's doing this.
    Best time for doing is when something else can be pointed to as the reason. Sales are way down and let’s blame as need for new technology. I have no problem with it but it’s not surprising
    07-25-20 01:59 PM
    07-25-20 05:46 PM
    I really think this kinda business practice is bull****. They keep closing doors on older tech, when older tech works just fine. How much extra does it really cost to maintain 2G? To allow phones to use WiFi calling? To keep 3G running? Why do they do this?

When I'm abroad I have better service because they are running those old bands.

Will BlackBerry still work if you pay for BES?
    All of the companies need to refarm their 2G and 3G network to cover the demand for 4G and 5G. Technology moves on.
    07-25-20 07:19 PM
    Beyond time for Sprint's CDMA network to fade away. T-mobile was always planning to speed up getting rid of Sprint CDMA much faster than Sprint. They need a single network.
    pdr733 and Laura Knotek like this.
    07-25-20 07:23 PM
    All of the companies need to refarm their 2G and 3G network to cover the demand for 4G and 5G. Technology moves on.
    Does it move on for the better or just to change? Is it necessary? I remember when 4G was released I didn't notice a big difference in speed between 3G and 4G. Is 5G even necessary? What's wrong with 4G? I never thought that 4G was inefficient for me so what's the point of even going to 5G? Why was the US against Huawei bringing 5G? Is there something more with forcing people to change phones and technology?

To me, it feels like a cash grab/information grab rather than a NEED.
    07-25-20 08:34 PM
    Does it move on for the better or just to change? Is it necessary? I remember when 4G was released I didn't notice a big difference in speed between 3G and 4G. Is 5G even necessary? What's wrong with 4G? I never thought that 4G was inefficient for me so what's the point of even going to 5G? Why was the US against Huawei bringing 5G? Is there something more with forcing people to change phones and technology?

It’s just business mixed along with some progress.
    07-25-20 09:37 PM

3g vs LTE is a massive difference. The same is true for LTE vs 5g. People getting 5g speeds without wires to their homes is huge in some areas. For phone use sure 5g is please overkill but that is not really where 5g is going to become a major need.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-25-20 09:44 PM
    It's not a matter of cost, it's a matter of limited bandwidth. Today's phone users are not only far more numerous, but they consume far more data - and they're always wanting more. Yet the carriers have no more bandwidth available, so the only thing they can do is to get rid of the old, inefficient tech that is running on some of their bandwidth and replace it with newer, faster, more efficient tech. That's why 2G got turned off a couple of years ago, and why 3G is being turned off now - because they'll be using those exact same frequency bands for more 4G and 5G.

And 5G isn't so much about phones, though it might help those in certain situations. 5G is really about all of the autonomous devices that are due to arrive any day - self-driving cars, drones delivering packages the final half-mile to your doorstep, and other stuff we don't even know about yet. All of those things will need tons of data beyond what phones use today (and, remember, phone consumption is still steadily growing too), so to move things forward, the old stuff has to go.

We don't keep freeways at a 25 MPH top speed just so people with Model T's can drive on them safely - and the Model T was the most popular car ever built. Things move on, and that's ESPECIALLY true with tech. Many of us have been telling people to expect this for years (and have had people argue that, naw, their phones will continue to work for decades!). New tech obsoletes old tech. Remember when everyone had a tube TV? And that's what everyone had had for decades? Now they're all at recyclers or landfills or have been recycled and their raw materials have been used for other stuff. VCRs and 8-Tracks and Cassettes and even DVD players are largely a thing of the past. Time marches on, and it won't stop to satisfy a handful of stubborn folks who want to keep using ancient devices.
    07-26-20 12:27 AM
    I doubt T-Mobile will dump unlocked 4GLTE VoLTE devices off their network.

That will result in massive losses.

Unlocked 4GLTE VoLTE devices should continue working on their network for a few years.

We should be good.

Phones that’ll need to be replaced to work after 2020 with T-Mobile:

• Sony Xperia Z2 and older
    • Samsung Galaxy S6 and older
    • LG G2 and older
    • HTC One M8 and older
    • Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and older
    • Google Nexus 5 and older
    • All BlackBerry devices before the Priv
    • All iPhone devices before iPhone 6
    Last edited by jtrx7; 07-26-20 at 06:57 AM.
    07-26-20 06:34 AM
    I doubt T-Mobile will dump unlocked 4GLTE VoLTE devices off their network.

That will result in massive losses.
    To whom?
    07-26-20 08:55 AM
    Why was the US against Huawei bringing 5G? Is there something more with forcing people to change phones and technology?
    I'm European so maybe not the most authoritative on this issue but as I understood it it was two things:
    - USA gov was concerned that 5G network built by Huawei would expose a critical infrastructure network to the Chinese in the event of a major conflict between the US and China (alternative theory was that there are preinstalled spying/surveillance components in these Huawei equipment which would allow access to Chinese security services)
    - With buying from Huawei, it would strengthen the advantage/positions of China in 5G technology which the USA doesnt want

Dont know if America has any "local" vendor of 5G network equipment, or shunning Huawei is simply meaning that they have to resort to non-US Western vendors (such as Ericsson)
    Not allowing Huawei handsets to be sold at US carriers might have had also an economic protectionist element along with the national security concerns - trying to protect market positions of a US-based vendor (Apple), even if Apple handsets are not made in the US. It is not clear to me if such factors are at play in case of Huawei 5G gear.
    07-26-20 09:11 AM
    Phones that’ll need to be replaced to work after 2020 with T-Mobile:

• Sony Xperia Z2 and older
    • Samsung Galaxy S6 and older
    • LG G2 and older
    • HTC One M8 and older
    • Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and older
    • Google Nexus 5 and older
    • All BlackBerry devices before the Priv
    • All iPhone devices before iPhone 6
    I am definitely not fond of (and this is an understatement) changing mobile phones each year or so, as I consider it a colossal waste. But if T-Mo's changes will mean the imcompatibility of this generation or earlier, even I believe that these are indeed really obsolete and obsolete enough to be upgraded anyway. It's not the case that you buy the super-expensive handset of, say 2019, and they force you to ditch it in 2021 due to incompatibility.
    07-26-20 09:18 AM
180 123 ...