I do want to thank whoever accomplished getting this issue resolved as I'm assuming this had to have been handled by someone in the hierarchy of CrackBerry. I would appreciate if possible an explanation regarding this event and is there any assurance this will never happen again in the future?
    You're welcome. And this is the only assurance I can give, as it's the only one given to me from a TCL spokesperson:

"This was an inadvertent server configuration error where a limited number of users were impacted, and the issue has been corrected.”
    12-23-19 11:24 AM
    You're welcome. And this is the only assurance I can give, as it's the only one given to me from a TCL spokesperson:

"This was an inadvertent server configuration error where a limited number of users were impacted, and the issue has been corrected.”
    Seems consistent with the response I received from BBMo:

Thank you for contacting BlackBerry Mobile Care. Your case number is ALC-1912792, should you need it for future reference or follow-up.

Our Research & Developer Team confirmed that the Preview App was designed in a way that will, from time to time, show you advertising inside the App, nonetheless you should not Install nor Update any Apps that the Preview app is showing you. They also recommended Clearing Data on the App and to not open it again.

Please follow the next Steps to Reset the App:

-Access the Settings of your Device.

-Access the option for Apps & Notifications.

-Scroll to the Bottom of the page and select the option See All xx App.

-On the list for All Apps, search and select the Preview app, select the option Storage and then Clear Data.

-Go back once then select the option Force Stop.

You can completely exit this menu and remember to not open the app again.

Feel free to contact us if you have any further questions. Should you wish to follow-up via email, please reply directly and ensure the subject is not changed.
    elfabio80, Jake2826 and Trouveur like this.
    12-23-19 11:36 AM

So the apocalypse is cancelled?
    BBuso77, elfabio80 and Jake2826 like this.
    12-23-19 11:39 AM
    Rescheduled. Look out for a calendar update with the new date and time.
    12-23-19 11:41 AM

Thanks for the follow-up Bla1ze... 👍

Happy Holidays!!!

Bob
    Bla1ze likes this.
    12-23-19 11:48 AM

Thank you Bla1ze !
    Bla1ze likes this.
    12-23-19 11:49 AM
    Thanks for the follow-up Bla1ze...
    Happy Holidays!!!

Bob
    Happy Holidays to you and yours as well, Bob!
    Bob80220 likes this.
    12-23-19 11:52 AM
    It sounds more like the app was targeted toward TCL- branded and Alcatel devices, whose users are not as likely to be as security-conscious as Blackberry loyalists, who heavily scrutinize anything suspicious, especially on Android.
    Trouveur likes this.
    12-23-19 11:52 AM
    It sounds more like the app was targeted toward TCL- branded and Alcatel devices, whose users are not as likely to be as security-conscious as Blackberry loyalists, who heavily scrutinize anything suspicious, especially on Android.
    Probably. But that's how TCL has a hope of making money off of selling $50 Alcatel phones. I don't begrudge them for that. The analytics involved with this app are no worse than a lot of stuff out there - including stuff from some big players.
    anon(10599419) and Trouveur like this.
    12-23-19 11:54 AM
    Exactly this.
    joshualebowitz and Trouveur like this.
    12-23-19 12:07 PM
    Yes. They are claiming it was accidental and not malicious. I have no reason to think they are lying.

But the nature of the app, the fact that they see nothing wrong with quietly pushing it to their other customers, and the fact that such a configuration error was possible disqualifies them as an OEM in my book.

There is nothing apocalyptic in this event, but it definitely represented a tipping point for me where I am no longer willing to give TCL the benefit of the doubt when it comes to their commitment to privacy and security. At best it's the equivalent of Boeing's safety lapses (accidental, but caused by systemic program deficiencies). At worst it was an intentional data grab on behalf of the Chinese intelligence services.

Either way, I can see no reason to consider TCL networked products from this point on.

From the screen of my trusty Z10 using the exceptional BlackBerry VKB.
    wtigga and cyberdoggie like this.
    12-23-19 12:20 PM
    Yes. They are claiming it was accidental and not malicious. I have no reason to think they are lying.

But the nature of the app, the fact that they see nothing wrong with quietly pushing it to their other customers, and the fact that such a configuration error was possible disqualifies them as an OEM in my book.

There is nothing apocalyptic in this event, but it definitely represented a tipping point for me where I am no longer willing to give TCL the benefit of the doubt when it comes to their commitment to privacy and security. At best it's the equivalent of Boeing's safety lapses (accidental, but caused by systemic program deficiencies). At worst it was an intentional data grab on behalf of the Chinese intelligence services.

Either way, I can see no reason to consider TCL networked products from this point on.

I see no problem doing this to an Alcatel phone. That's the only way anyone can make money off the extreme low end of the market - advertising. I don't think anyone with a $50-$100 phone would disagree.

But I will concede your point to the server error though. They pushed the "all" button instead of the "Acatel-only" button, and that shouldn't have happened. But I'm not prepared to forever dismiss the 4th largest Android OEM on the continent for that.

Apple has a major, unpatchable vulnerability on every iPhone made before the 11. How would that rank with you as a trust issue?
    Jake2826 likes this.
    12-23-19 12:28 PM

Forgetting TCL and BBMo incident, what Android OEMs do you trust not sending out bloatware or preinstalling on mobile hardware?
    anon(10599419) likes this.
    12-23-19 12:29 PM

Yes, I told my wife...if the airplane is Boeing...I ain't going!! Yes, this app mishap will make me pause buying a future TCL product. I believe we will not see another Blackberry mobile device. For some reason, I believe Chen will come back with a new licensing partner to build phones. I know folks say it would not be financially feasible for anyone to take on the task...

If the Chinese Government ask for data... could TCL say no? They would have to acquiesce/comply to that Government. Blackberry Limited has no power to stop that behavior. We just don't know for sure if there is a back door on TCL products.
    Last edited by Bay 13; 12-23-19 at 01:29 PM.
    joshualebowitz likes this.
    12-23-19 12:50 PM
    I see no problem doing this to an Alcatel phone. That's the only way anyone can make money off the extreme low end of the market - advertising. I don't think anyone with a $50-$100 phone would disagree.

But I will concede your point to the server error though. They pushed the "all" button instead of the "Acatel-only" button, and that shouldn't have happened. But I'm not prepared to forever dismiss the 4th largest Android OEM on the continent for that.

Apple has a major, unpatchable vulnerability on every iPhone made before the 11. How would that rank with you as a trust issue?
    I am not concerned at all that Apple is trying to profit by slipping in dangerous apps without the knowledge of its customers. If Alcatel wants to offer a cheaper phone with ads, they should announce it clearly, like Amazon does with its ad-included, discounted Kindle devices.

You see data mining of customers as normal and fair. I don't believe that can be true unless the terms are much clearer and properly communicated up front.

I am quite sure that many consumers would happily pay less to give up to more of their data. But I don't believe OEMs should be allowed to hide the ball.

I'm all for the free market, but that requires properly informed consumers. Let's see a choice between :

- Alcatel phone with personal data mining: $100
    - Alcatel phone with no data mining: $450

As for your Apple example, if an unpatchable vulnerability is in your threat model and is a significant risk, then replace or stop using the phone. I don't see how it's any different.

12-23-19 02:34 PM
    .... from a TCL spokesperson:

Key phrase: " ....a limited number of users.... "

Key word: limited

Draw your own conclusions.
    12-23-19 02:45 PM
    Key phrase: " ....a limited number of users.... "

Key word: limited

Draw your own conclusions.
    Already done. LOL
    ppeters914 likes this.
    12-23-19 03:26 PM

As for your Apple example, if an unpatchable vulnerability is in your threat model and is a significant risk, then replace or stop using the phone. I don't see how it's any different.

My point is that there are serious reasons to avoid almost every brand in the entire industry.

If you forever throw out TCL with the bathwater because they accidentally sent you an advertising app for 3 days, you've set your bar pretty high. An unpatchable vulnerability on 10 generations of iPhones must rank even worse. What does that leave?
    Jake2826 and anon(10599419) like this.
    12-23-19 05:45 PM
    My point is that there are serious reasons to avoid almost every brand in the entire industry.

If you forever throw out TCL with the bathwater because they accidentally sent you an advertising app for 3 days, you've set your bar pretty high. An unpatchable vulnerability on 10 generations of iPhones must rank even worse. What does that leave?
    I see a huge difference. One is a design flaw from a reputable company, and the other is an intentional push of questionable software by a company where I was already concerned about its independence from a foreign government with an policy of industrial and state espionage, and no regards for individual rights.

I am not downplaying the Apple vulnerability, but at least it requires physical control of the device. My threat model is commercial surveillance and foreign governments. I was willing to give TCL a chance so long as they were partnered with BlackBerry, but now I see how TCL works when untethered, as it is with its Alcatel phones.

I'd stick with Apple and Samsung in an enterprise context, but I'm not particularly happy with my choices, fwiw.

anon(10387168) and Bay 13 like this.
    12-23-19 06:03 PM
    IMHO, the argument that TCL has to secretly load dangerous apps to shows ads and hoover up data from its customers in order to make a profit on cheap phones is very problematic. It's akin to saying that gang members have to sell drugs and rob people because they live in bad neighborhoods with no jobs.

If the market segment is inherently unprofitable, no one is forcing them to manufacture those cheap phones.

Bay 13 likes this.
    12-23-19 06:08 PM
    IMHO, the argument that TCL has to secretly load dangerous apps to shows ads and hoover up data from its customers in order to make a profit on cheap phones is very problematic. It's akin to saying that gang members have to sell drugs and rob people because they live in bad neighborhoods with no jobs.

If the market segment is inherently unprofitable, no one is forcing them to manufacture those cheap phones.

It's the same argument / business model of Google versus Apple. Cheaper hardware requires your data to make it work.

On a super-cheap phone, the OEM needs to get in on the action too. They won't get far on profits of $2 per device.
    12-23-19 06:12 PM
    Well the intrusion was removed by people's complaints/efforts??
    Don't worry - the next time TCL pushes garbage like this into your phone they won't make the rookie mistake of letting you see that it's there.
    12-23-19 06:22 PM

I don't believe that's what @conite was implying. There are laws on the books against blatantly deceptive apps, especially ones that hide themselves and are known to mine sensitive data such as bank account passwords. Many OEMs push apps that make app recommendations not based on the user's habits, but by developers who pay for the opportunity. If an app not specifically approved by the OEM to do so is intentionally installed without the user's knowledge (particularly if the app in question contains malware known to the OEM), that's a different story.
    12-23-19 06:27 PM
    I don't believe that's what @conite was implying. There are laws on the books against blatantly deceptive apps, especially ones that hide themselves and are known to mine sensitive data such as bank account passwords. Many OEMs push apps that make app recommendations not based on the user's habits, but by developers who pay for the opportunity. If an app not specifically approved by the OEM to do so is intentionally installed without the user's knowledge (particularly if the app in question contains malware known to the OEM), that's a different story.
    An app doesn't have to steal account passwords to be intrusive. Simply passing along location data or information about apps used or Web browsing history without affirmative permission Hub the user is also a breach of privacy and security.

12-23-19 08:22 PM

But with legally acquired data, let’s assume possible level of profitability
    12-23-19 08:23 PM
550 ... 1516171819 ...