Hello BB friends

Anyone out there have any tips or tricks with using a SIM card for phone and data from mint mobile in the USA with calls?

I know much is dependent on the use map, but according to map I am in great area, and according to company search my unlocked BB Q-10 with software 10.3.3 should be a good mix....

basically I can send of few texts but second I try to make a call I get "unable to connect to network" the top right corner goes from 4 bars of "Mint 4GLTE --> red exclamation mark and emergency calls only.... Or a block letter "E"

just unlucky even though carrier says good area or some settings I could check?

as a side note...back in the day with cell phones they sold a signal booster...if you having trouble...is that a thing so I could at least make calls from my home?

thanks all hope day going well.
    10-18-19 03:00 PM
    as small update internet seems to think i need to "update my APN" but cant find reliable steps for that
    thx
    10-18-19 04:04 PM
    Hello BB friends

Anyone out there have any tips or tricks with using a SIM card for phone and data from mint mobile in the USA with calls?

I know much is dependent on the use map, but according to map I am in great area, and according to company search my unlocked BB Q-10 with software 10.3.3 should be a good mix....

basically I can send of few texts but second I try to make a call I get "unable to connect to network" the top right corner goes from 4 bars of "Mint 4GLTE --> red exclamation mark and emergency calls only.... Or a block letter "E"

just unlucky even though carrier says good area or some settings I could check?

as a side note...back in the day with cell phones they sold a signal booster...if you having trouble...is that a thing so I could at least make calls from my home?

thanks all hope day going well.
    Have you tried SIM in a different phone?
    10-18-19 08:09 PM
    yes works in Iphone 4.....so maybe im otta luck...the old Q-10jsut cant do it any more? All I want is calls and text...nothing fancy...but if cant make calls I gotta tap out
    10-19-19 08:36 PM
    yes works in Iphone 4.....so maybe im otta luck...the old Q-10jsut cant do it any more? All I want is calls and text...nothing fancy...but if cant make calls I gotta tap out
    Q10 as phone still operates if used on fully compatible network. This suggests compatibility issues or defective hardware. I’m leaning to compatibility issue with specific backbone carrier (T-MOBILE) you’re attempting to use on.
    ShannonLoa likes this.
    10-19-19 10:19 PM
    Understood got unlucky. I did try to research ahead of purchase, said Q-10 good to go. Such is life. Any validity in your opinion that I need to update my "APN" access point name"?
    10-20-19 09:52 AM
    Also thanks for response
    Do you know what an APN (access point name) actually does? I checked with T-moble...who either owns or Mint contracts with and they gave me a different APN which I tried with same results as described above.....then for my own curiosity I typed in a random APN name and got same....any thoughts?
    10-20-19 10:07 AM
    Not sure that anyone would need...but just in case someone using for there own knowledge....the iphone 4 would not take a mint card....I borrowed an iphone 6 and worked fine.....not trying to talk up other phones just stating facts of my issued...thx
    10-20-19 10:24 AM
    Sorry to keep commenting........my situation is I really like BB and wanted a simple phone to just text and talk on....would you suggest trying the Q-10 on At& T prepaied talk/text SIM or what would you suggest to check with mint mobile on KEYONE to make sure the "bands" would work? I avoided the KeyOne as seemed to be way more then I needed but If can get on cost effective network that worked great would do

thanks again if time to chime in
    10-20-19 10:29 AM
    Sorry to keep commenting........my situation is I really like BB and wanted a simple phone to just text and talk on....would you suggest trying the Q-10 on At& T prepaied talk/text SIM or what would you suggest to check with mint mobile on KEYONE to make sure the "bands" would work? I avoided the KeyOne as seemed to be way more then I needed but If can get on cost effective network that worked great would do

thanks again if time to chime in
    Sorry for my slow response. I would try AT&T prepaid SIM if the Q10 was originally AT&T branded.

As far as the KEYone goes, I would only get the AT&T carrier locked version (PRD ending -036) if using AT&T SIM for compatibility and super cheap price. It’s only 3gb/32gb hardware. If you’re willing to spend a little more, you should be able to find the factory unlocked Black Edition KEYone (PRD ending-039) via multiple resellers. It’s 4gb/64GB hardware is worth paying in $250 USD range. I’d stay away from the Silver Edition factory unlocked original. It’s only 3gb/32/gb and early models had the screen pop issue.

Key point for me is factory unlocked or carrier locked. I don’t fully trust carrier unlocked due to compatibility issues as you’ve discovered already.
    ShannonLoa likes this.
    10-20-19 12:32 PM
    Understood
    thanks for advice. I will try out the At&T card and see how it flies. Appreciate the advice. I will reply here on how it goes in case anyone has an interest.

I will do research on KeyOne with appropriate PRD ending as you suggested if this is a dead end

have a good one
    10-20-19 02:44 PM
    Hi there,

I actually have a Q10 with a Mint SIM card plugged in. It works as expected.

Now, I must admit, it is not perfect. However, in my case, I already expected that because I have a European version and the bands do not quite match. This causes my reception to become spotty when indoors. You may check your specific version for that. There posts here in the forum with compatibility tables. There is also an app on BBW called Signal which shows you the bands you have and your network signal.

As per the apn settings, here are the ones I have. They work perfectly when I have good reception.

APN: fast.t-mobile.com
    MMSC: mms.mmg.ent.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc
    Rest is blank.

I would also recommend you login into your Mint account and enable wifi calling. It is disabled by default. I enabled and then it worked for me without further set up on the phone. I can be indoors without reception and work through wifi calling. However, it doesn't work all the times, I'm not sure, but it seems to depend on the particular wifi connection. I haven't played much with it though.
    10-22-19 07:33 AM
    Hi there,

I actually have a Q10 with a Mint SIM card plugged in. It works as expected.

Now, I must admit, it is not perfect. However, in my case, I already expected that because I have a European version and the bands do not quite match. This causes my reception to become spotty when indoors. You may check your specific version for that. There posts here in the forum with compatibility tables. There is also an app on BBW called Signal which shows you the bands you have and your network signal.

As per the apn settings, here are the ones I have. They work perfectly when I have good reception.

APN: fast.t-mobile.com
    MMSC: mms.mmg.ent.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc
    Rest is blank.

I would also recommend you login into your Mint account and enable wifi calling. It is disabled by default. I enabled and then it worked for me without further set up on the phone. I can be indoors without reception and work through wifi calling. However, it doesn't work all the times, I'm not sure, but it seems to depend on the particular wifi connection. I haven't played much with it though.
    The problem is magnified if you’re in area of poor reception that requires certain bands for specific carrier. T-Mobile and it’s MVNOs used to suffer greatly 4-5 years ago on GSM spectrum in this regard especially in rural areas. While T-Mobile has improved coverage in most areas greatly, in many cases, it’s because of newer bands that older devices lack.
    10-22-19 08:36 AM
    Thanks for the APN and texting info appreciate it.

I ended up trying a AT& T SIM with talk and text. Interestingly it often shows same bars @ or 3 in my home, but calls go through just fine. Mint was helpful and gave me my account number and PIN so I could switch. I liked the Mint price and simple set up,but just could not hold a call at work or home (2 placed I needed most.)

thanks for help all. So my goal was a simple secure, smaller size phone. I work all day on computer so was done with screens just wanted to text, call family and web on rare occasion. w

Went with BB Q-10 and the AT&T talk/text 2 gig data SIM working nice with calls, text and occasional browser. Very happy

Mint was good with text and a limited use of browser but dropped all calls. It would show 2,3,4 bars but when made call dropped to zero and "unable to connect. They had very good price and were easy enough when I had to switch so if you trying similar thing of mine they might be worth a shot if looking to save a few
    10-22-19 06:04 PM
    I used a Mint Mobile SIM for a month in my Passport with no difficulties. I just can't get enough reliable signal to get any T-Mobile to work where I live & work, even a T-Mobile branded device doesn't work for our area.

Just my $.02, YMMV ! ;-) sent via my Q10
    11-18-19 02:14 PM
    Same here. Verizon delivers the clearest and most reliable signal in my area. My sister has visited me several times and she has TMobile. She has had to go outside to get a decent signal on her Android phone (I don't recall the model). Makes it difficult being a BlackBerry user, when Verizon is so picky about which models they will allow on their networks.

I used a Mint Mobile SIM for a month in my Passport with no difficulties. I just can't get enough reliable signal to get any T-Mobile to work where I live & work, even a T-Mobile branded device doesn't work for our area.

Just my $.02, YMMV ! ;-) sent via my Q10

Posted with my Classic, SQC100-3/10.3.3.3204
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-24-19 11:25 PM
    I use Mint on my Classic, and have noticed that I cannot send or receive MMS in group text message conversations while in WiFi. WiFi calling is handy, but not always reliable, depending on the network I'm trying to use.

Posted via CB10
    12-11-19 09:46 PM